• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz LB Strahm arrested for DUI

AZGrizFan said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
reinell30 said:
Folks, it is a DUI...that is all. A bad choice to get behind the wheel. Yes, he is lucky he didn't hurt someone, a bad choice he will remember for a long time to come! He will pay his dues for this mistake. Now let it drop! 2017 season around the corner, let's focus on the positives!

The day we don't treat a DUI as a big deal will be a sad day.

We have every right as a fan base to be upset at a scholarship athlete committing a crime that endangered himself & others. Connor purposely put himself in a bad position by choosing to drive after having that much to drink. No sympathy for him at all.

So we can put you in that VERY select group who's NEVER gotten behind the wheel after a few?

If I were to go get a DUI tonight, I would not have a job to come back to Monday. I would lose my car insurance & due to the loss of my job, I would probably lose my house. I would not expect anyone to feel sorry for me or make excuses. With the availability of cabs, Uber and friends, there is no excuse to put yourself in that situation. I am not saying Connor should be kicked off the team or he should be treated any differently than another member of society. I don't hate the guy and I know he wont be the last in a long line of Griz to get a DUI in the future.

If the reports are true that Connor was three times the legal limit then that was clearly his choice to put himself in that position. As a member of the football team, you are held to a higher standard, whether that is fair or not. All I am saying is we should not get to the point as a society where we write off a DUI as some minor offense.

How do posters feel about texting and driving, or cell phone use and driving? Compared to drinking and driving?

Some stats:

:Every year in the U.S., almost a half million people are injured or killed in traffic accidents attributed to the combination of texting and driving. The statistics are shocking, especially in view of the fact that this danger could be completely avoided. In 2013, according to statistics compiled by the Department of Transportation, 3,154 people died and another 424,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes caused by drivers who were distracted because they were texting or using cell phones."

"An astounding 69% of drivers (aged 18-64) in the U.S. admitted to using their cell phone while driving during the previous month."

"This activity increases the risks of becoming involved in an accident by three times over normal risk probability."

http://www.personalinjurysandiego.org/topics/facts-about-texting-driving/

"At 0.08, your crash odds have roughly tripled." Obviously, the odds go up was the BAC gets higher.

"Comparing The Two: Texting While Driving Is Like Drinking 4 Beers". To me, texting while driving is much worse, because while it is occurring, the level of distraction and impairment is extremely high.

Not trying to justify DUI or what Strahm appears to have done, but, like George F, it occurs to me that some of the outraged posters are probably not consistent with their outrage.

the perpetrators all suck. so there you go, greenie. and there you went.

PlayerRep said:
How do posters feel about texting and driving, or cell phone use and driving? Compared to drinking and driving?

Some stats:

:Every year in the U.S., almost a half million people are injured or killed in traffic accidents attributed to the combination of texting and driving. The statistics are shocking, especially in view of the fact that this danger could be completely avoided. In 2013, according to statistics compiled by the Department of Transportation, 3,154 people died and another 424,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes caused by drivers who were distracted because they were texting or using cell phones."

"An astounding 69% of drivers (aged 18-64) in the U.S. admitted to using their cell phone while driving during the previous month."

"This activity increases the risks of becoming involved in an accident by three times over normal risk probability."

http://www.personalinjurysandiego.org/topics/facts-about-texting-driving/

"At 0.08, your crash odds have roughly tripled." Obviously, the odds go up was the BAC gets higher.

"Comparing The Two: Texting While Driving Is Like Drinking 4 Beers". To me, texting while driving is much worse, because while it is occurring, the level of distraction and impairment is extremely high.

Not trying to justify DUI or what Strahm appears to have done, but, like George F, it occurs to me that some of the outraged posters are probably not consistent with their outrage.

Phat Cat said:
That sucks. Just call Uber. It's cheap. I wish Uber was around when I was a kid. Would of saved me a lot of problems.

Michael Oher approves this message.

To clarify.....having four beers and then texting while driving likely doesn't balance the other out. Just a guess. That would be like having eight beers and not texting while driving. You're right PR. Mathing isn't that hard after all.

GRIZFAN20 said:
AZGrizFan said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
reinell30 said:
Folks, it is a DUI...that is all. A bad choice to get behind the wheel. Yes, he is lucky he didn't hurt someone, a bad choice he will remember for a long time to come! He will pay his dues for this mistake. Now let it drop! 2017 season around the corner, let's focus on the positives!

We have every right as a fan base to be upset at a scholarship athlete committing a crime that endangered himself & others. Connor purposely put himself in a bad position by choosing to drive after having that much to drink. No sympathy for him at all.

So we can put you in that VERY select group who's NEVER gotten behind the wheel after a few?

If I were to go get a DUI tonight, I would not have a job to come back to Monday. I would lose my car insurance & due to the loss of my job, I would probably lose my house. I would not expect anyone to feel sorry for me or make excuses. With the availability of cabs, Uber and friends, there is no excuse to put yourself in that situation. I am not saying Connor should be kicked off the team or he should be treated any differently than another member of society. I don't hate the guy and I know he wont be the last in a long line of Griz to get a DUI in the future.

If the reports are true that Connor was three times the legal limit then that was clearly his choice to put himself in that position. As a member of the football team, you are held to a higher standard, whether that is fair or not. All I am saying is we should not get to the point as a society where we write off a DUI as some minor offense.

Zero tolerance in the US Army. DUI will end a career.

I think one of the more interesting things about the incident will to see how Stitt/Semore handle it. He could easily be suspended for the first two games, and one could argue three, and have no consequence on the Griz being 2 and 1. But is such an arguably harsh punishment the message that the coaching staff will send. Because if it were for games 4 through 6 it might have a bigger impact on the record.

GRIZFAN20 said:
AZGrizFan said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
reinell30 said:

Which TOTALLY avoids the question. Have you, or have you NOT ever gotten behind the wheel and driven after drinking? because if you have, you're a gigantic hypocrite standing in a glass house and throwing boulders the size of fucking cars.

sdk.catfish said:
I think one of the more interesting things about the incident will to see how Stitt/Semore handle it. He could easily be suspended for the first two games, and one could argue three, and have no consequence on the Griz being 2 and 1. But is such an arguably harsh punishment the message that the coaching staff will send. Because if it were for games 4 through 6 it might have a bigger impact on the record.

Seriously, at THAT particular position I have NO worries about depth. There is almost zero fall off, and some could argue a different (potentially better) skill set in the backups....

by AZGrizFan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Seriously, at THAT particular position I have NO worries about depth. There is almost zero fall off, and some could argue a different (potentially better) skill set in the backups....

Totally agree "at THAT particular position". But my point, which I obviously didn't make well, is what is the standard consequence for a DUI. What if it is the starting QB in the middle of the season which as we all know could seriously impact Stitt's retention. What is the message that inuring a DUI at any time means to the the playing time of the accused. I just am interested in what the coaching staff's reaction may be and if it is consistent with the relatively high (at least as reported) standards that Stitt holds for his recruits.

sdk.catfish said:

Totally agree "at THAT particular position". But my point, which I obviously didn't make well, is what is the standard consequence for a DUI. What if it is the starting QB in the middle of the season which as we all know could seriously impact Stitt's retention. What is the message that inuring a DUI at any time means to the the playing time of the accused. I just am interested in what the coaching staff's reaction may be and if it is consistent with the relatively high (at least as reported) standards that Stitt holds for his recruits.

The coaching staff doesn't set the initial punishment, the University of Montana Student Code of Conduct does. The coaches can decide to further punish after what the code says I believe, but they do not get to set or adjust what the code says. Whatever it says, that is what Strahm gets out of the gate.

I always laugh my f----ing ass off to at the notion that players get suspended for patsy games vs non-patsy games. It's already being brought up on BN as I type this. So to some's theory, Strahm's suspension shouldn't be for Valpo game because they suck. They think he should be allowed to play in that game, even though that's the first game the Griz play after his incident. Instead, they think he should have to wait to serve his suspension until a more important game lmao. But, I can blow that theory out of the water considering a senior starting LB who got in trouble over the summer was then suspended, per the code of conduct, for the NEXT GAME, which was arguably the biggest game the Griz were going to play in 6-7 years, the North Dakota State game.

bgbigdog said:
dayday said:
brewskis said:
jodcon said:
It happened the 15th...I'm amazed nobody here had heard about it, there are no secrets in the world these days.
Yeah. Weird stuff. I've never had a DUI and I'm not a lawyer, so color me confused. I wonder if any of our resident experts here on egriz can has any expertise on this situation (hahaha)

I guess I, uh.....wonder how it went. Probably not well considering the context now on the 20th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well pretty easy actually all of the sports media was in Utah early in the week so I doubt they were checking jail rosters. That is how this kind of news is usually broke.

Anyways, he has posted bail and I'm assuming went to his initial appearance. He probably won't have his omnibus hearing until least of end August in which he can plead or proceed with motion hearings and trial dates.

I think some of you are being a little hard on him. He's a 22 year old male. Willing to bet some of you on here weren't perfect at that age either. DUIs are not great because it is dangerous to everyone on the road but it's a fairly common indiscretion I see from all sorts of people.

At least it's not a FELONY drug charge like over in Bozeman. I hear ol' Choate would be willing to let him back if can get back into school. That seems more troubling to me.

So let me make sure I've got this straight. DUI's aren't great because it assumes the accused endangered the lives of everyone on the road with them at that time. But it's ok to give him a pass because we were all likely just as stupid @ 22. And yeah, before I forget, it's not anything like the gallatin garbage because that's the relevant example for the program. Did I get that right?

I think you missed my point, but that is fine.

by George Ferguson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 pm
The coaching staff doesn't set the initial punishment, the University of Montana Student Code of Conduct does. The coaches can decide to further punish after what the code says I believe, but they do not get to set or adjust what the code says. Whatever it says, that is what Strahm gets out of the gate.

I always laugh my f----ing ass off to at the notion that players get suspended for patsy games vs non-patsy games. It's already being brought up on BN as I type this. So to some's theory, Strahm's suspension shouldn't be for Valpo game because they suck. They think he should be allowed to play in that game, even though that's the first game the Griz play after his incident. Instead, they think he should have to wait to serve his suspension until a more important game lmao. But, I can blow that theory out of the water considering a senior starting LB who got in trouble over the summer was then suspended, per the code of conduct, for the NEXT GAME, which was arguably the biggest game the Griz were going to play in 6-7 years, the North Dakota State game.

I'm sure having a tough time making my point tonight and for that I apologize. My concern is not what punishment is handed out via the Student Code of Conduct. My curiosity is specifically what Stitt/Semore will do and if that/those actions will be consistent throughout the year with any player at any position. In theory the entire starting 22 could get DUI's in the summer and if the punishment was for a first game was susspension we would probably still beat Valpo. Butwhat message is going to be sent to the players. At a 3x blood level would once a week attendance for 3 months at AA be appropriate. Does Strahm's history warrant anger management training. I really don't have any big issue here. As stated in my initial post I'm just curios as to what Stitt will do.

George Ferguson said:
sdk.catfish said:

I'm sure they feel sitting out the EWU, UND, and MSU games would be the correct punishment...because that's what they would surely do.

reinell30 said:

No that is not all, I'll be the first to admit I cannot tell you the times I drove drunk in my younger years and was lucky I never killed anyone.

But you go ahead and tell that to the parents of my best friend, that it's just a DUI and it that is all. As we just had his 3rd year anniversary of him being killed by a drunk driver.

As far as Connor is concerned I hope he learned his lesson but it's time for him to move on and for the next man up.

reinell30 said:

He is no "kid". He is 22. He knows the laws and hopefully the coaching staff made it clear that DUI is not acceptable at UM and he should be removed from the team. That would be a positive statement. Sadly, Montana is the number one state in alcoholism. Time to change that culture. Other kids will step up. It might even open a scholarship to a deserving kid who can keep his cool in a tough game.

AZGrizFan said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
reinell30 said:

I would argue that its a very select group, may have to do more with one's circle of friends. I personally have not, and I know the majority of my friends that have not - but I do know some have. We learned in our freshman year, as a good friend ran into the side of building at Tech while being under the influence. They had to cut him out of his car, but he walked away with few injuries.

For me, I hate being under the influence of anything. I prefer to be in complete control of my mindset. I can generate fun without the help of something like alcohol or drugs.

I would hope this has already been addressed at a team meeting. Go out and get a DUI be prepared to pay the consequences should have already been communicated. Strahm probably has an idea of his punishment. What it should or shouldn't be is up to the Athletic Dept. A one game suspension, some extra workouts, and an apology to his teammates seems appropriate to me.

A big issue with all this is the negative press we don't need. Granted when you drink and drive a number of things can happen but giving the program a black eye is what has happened in this case. (Thank heavens he didn't hurt himself or someone else). Im not ready to cast him aside but he would be on a short leash.

Oh by the way......driving at 3:am is a sure way to being pulled over.

mtgrizzly said:
reinell30 said:

No that is not all, I'll be the first to admit I cannot tell you the times I drove drunk in my younger years and was lucky I never killed anyone.

But you go ahead and tell that to the parents of my best friend, that it's just a DUI and it that is all. As we just had his 3rd year anniversary of him being killed by a drunk driver.

As far as Connor is concerned I hope he learned his lesson but it's time for him to move on and for the next man up.

Good lord. How draconian of you.

Back