• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good, Bad, Ugly - Spring Scrimmage

Triwest said:
PhxGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky said:
The OL hasn't been worth a damn for four years. If Stitt has the football mind some folks say, why hasn't he corrected the problem? It seems that someone with such a good football mind would know you can't win without a good OL.

Since Hauck, the OL recruiting, development has been sub optimal.
I read that on here as well. Very interesting theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 Offensive line players currently on the team are RF , F , or Soph. Seems to me that the staff has been looking at the line.

Maybe so, but so far none have shown anything on the field and it seems that few of them will have a chance to this season. My belief is that the OL looks underwhelming and none of those Stitt recruits are able to crack the starting lineup.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Triwest said:
PhxGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Since Hauck, the OL recruiting, development has been sub optimal.

10 Offensive line players currently on the team are RF , F , or Soph. Seems to me that the staff has been looking at the line.

Maybe so, but so far none have shown anything on the field and it seems that few of them will have a chance to this season. My belief is that the OL looks underwhelming and none of those Stitt recruits are able to crack the starting lineup.
Is Villanueva not a Stitt recruit?

Didn't he beat out Todd last year to start?

uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Triwest said:
PhxGriz said:

1 guy, does that really change the narrative?

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Triwest said:

Well it ruins your prior statement that none of Stitts recruits are able to crack the lineup.

BWahlberg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Well it ruins your prior statement that none of Stitts recruits are able to crack the lineup.

Whoops, I forgot...the second team OL could start at any other BSC school.

I just don't understand how people can't get the idea that we're getting better recruits, but that doesn't mean they can come in as freshmen or sophomores and beat out four seniors.

eGriz is literally all or nothing these days. If they aren't good enough to start as freshmen, why have them, right?

uofmman1122 said:
I just don't understand how people can't get the idea that we're getting better recruits, but that doesn't mean they can come in as freshmen or sophomores and beat out four seniors.

eGriz is literally all or nothing these days. If they aren't good enough to start as freshmen, why have them, right?

Except my argument is that the four seniors are average BSC lineman at best. Many would hope that some of these young kids would show enough to crack the lineup. You also have a kid that is on his 5th position and yet is ahead of young kids that were recruited for the position and actually have more practice reps. Young kids beat out older kids all the time, and sooner or later these young lineman are going to have to show something on the field.

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

Except my argument is that the four seniors are average BSC lineman at best. Many would hope that some of these young kids would show enough to crack the lineup. You also have a kid that is on his 5th position and yet is ahead of young kids that were recruited for the position and actually have more practice reps. Young kids beat out older kids all the time, and sooner or later these young lineman are going to have to show something on the field.
Ralston is ahead of two freshmen, so it sounds like a gamble no matter how it winds up. Considering how much people complain about a lack of leadership at the end of last year, maybe the senior makes sense here as long as their skills are similar?

Why don't we wait and see what happens after fall camp before we make statements like that? If I recall correctly, Villanueva was behind Todd all last spring.

Give them a little time.

uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

Ralston is ahead of two freshmen, so it sounds like a gamble no matter how it winds up. Considering how much people complain about a lack of leadership at the end of last year, maybe the senior makes sense here as long as their skills are similar?

Why don't we wait and see what happens after fall camp before we make statements like that? If I recall correctly, Villanueva was behind Todd all last spring.

Give them a little time.

In the Fall I will reevaluate. This opinion is based on Spring ball.

HelenaHandBasket said:
BWahlberg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

They could? News to me. Where did you read hint or suggestion of that?

BWahlberg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BWahlberg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

They could? News to me. Where did you read hint or suggestion of that?

I always forget the sarcasm font. :oops:

billgrizfan said:
I think some of the success Hill had was do to the time allowed to make a read. While watching I tried to get a sense of the time by using the old 1001, 1002 time thing and I only made it to 1002 once while watching Jensen and Phillips. On the other had I got to 2004 several times with Hill. With so many 2's playing as 1's does that mean Hill was going against a lot of 3's and 4's? Certainly the 2's that played as 1's on defense did any excellent job and some may end of as 1's, time will tell.

I'll say this again....Hill played against who he was put on the field against. If he played against 3s as you say, then Reese and Gresch went against 2s. So they should have produced as well. Hill was sacked as many times as the first team so it didn't appear he got more time to throw. I thought Hill and Gresch have showed the most promise and improvement this spring, with Hill having the least time with this offense. I will say that Hill seems to have a fire that other players can feed off of and that will be needed.

Grizzly96 said:
billgrizfan said:
I think some of the success Hill had was do to the time allowed to make a read. While watching I tried to get a sense of the time by using the old 1001, 1002 time thing and I only made it to 1002 once while watching Jensen and Phillips. On the other had I got to 2004 several times with Hill. With so many 2's playing as 1's does that mean Hill was going against a lot of 3's and 4's? Certainly the 2's that played as 1's on defense did any excellent job and some may end of as 1's, time will tell.

I'll say this again....Hill played against who he was put on the field against. If he played against 3s as you say, then Reese and Gresch went against 2s. So they should have produced as well. Hill was sacked as many times as the first team so it didn't appear he got more time to throw. I thought Hill and Gresch have showed the most promise and improvement this spring, with Hill having the least time with this offense. I will say that Hill seems to have a fire that other players can feed off of and that will be needed.

Hill had a great day for himself at the scrimmage. Still a little streaky but easily his best showing.

To get technical on the depth Gresch and Phillips faced the 1st team DL / 2nd team LBs / 1st team DBs. Hill faced the 2nd team DL / mix of 2nd/3rd team LBs / mix of 2nd/3rd team DBs

BWahlberg said:
Grizzly96 said:
billgrizfan said:

Hill had a great day for himself at the scrimmage. Still a little streaky but easily his best showing.

To get technical on the depth Gresch and Phillips faced the 1st team DL / 2nd team LBs / 1st team DBs. Hill faced the 2nd team DL / mix of 2nd/3rd team LBs / mix of 2nd/3rd team DBs
Bring who do you thin the quarterback will be?

Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
Grizzly96 said:
billgrizfan said:

Brint who do you thin the quarterback will be?

Reese Phillips most likely. Experience, leadership, well-rounded, smart, and a fierce competitor.

BWahlberg said:
Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
Grizzly96 said:

Reese Phillips most likely. Experience, leadership, well-rounded, smart, and a fierce competitor.
Oh Lord, so sugary.

BWahlberg said:
Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
Grizzly96 said:

Do you think the line will be much improved by September?

Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:

Marginally. I'm not expecting miracles. As long as Reese is back at LT that'll help the edge big time on that side.

BWahlberg said:
Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
Griz til I die said:

Marginally. I'm not expecting miracles. As long as Reese is back at LT that'll help the edge big time on that side.

O-Lines do usually get better throughout the season so yes I do expect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back