• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GIVE MALATARE A SCHOLARSHIP!!

citay said:
Zirg said:
I've never seen Malatare play outside on highlights on the local news and have no opinion of whether he is "good enough", but it's simple supply and demand. He has no other D1 offers, so why waste a scholarship on a(ny) guy we can get to walk-on? That seems like a no-brainer to me.

JR Camel, wisely, transferred to Hellgate for his sr. yr after dominating class b (wasn't it?), and also had his (up and down) moments for the Griz, and JR clearly had D1 talent. His downfalls have already been mentioned. Chavez also transferred from Heart Butte to Browning to better prove his abilities. If you choose to stay at low-level Montana hs b-ball, you haven't proven anything (to ppl recruiting@D1) no matter how good you look against terrible competition. Malatare will get his chance to prove his metal as a walk-on. He (and any class C Montanan) can't ask for anything more.

Comparing Malatare to JR or Chavez or any other player is a mistake. None of them came to Montana with the legendary status that Malatare has achieved as a high school player; none of them were capable of putting butts in seats like Malatare will, no matter he comes from a Class C program.

As for the fact he hasn't proven himself at higher levels of competition, what would you say about Espe, Besovic, Bevens--three kids who we thought had proved themselves, but washed out the first year? How about the two kids Shannon has signed for the women's team who as teammates on one team could not win a state championship? Did all these kids deserve scholarships?

Yes, as a rule, you don't give a scholarship to a Class C player, but there are exceptions to every rule, and I feel Malatare is one--one who has earned a scholarship. And if he doesn't pan out? Every Frontier school, including Montana Tech, would offer him a scholarship in a heartbeat, so I think it's a risk we should take.

You are amazing Citay. You have never seen him play and think we should take a chance on him. Travis and his staff have seen him play a few times. I am sure he has played against current players both in summer camp and open gym. I think Travis knows more about the skill level of the kid than you do and I sure trust his evaluation more than I do yours. While your input on local California players that you have seen has been good I think you’re dead wrong on this one. Just my opinion.

Griz1 said:
citay said:
Zirg said:
I've never seen Malatare play outside on highlights on the local news and have no opinion of whether he is "good enough", but it's simple supply and demand. He has no other D1 offers, so why waste a scholarship on a(ny) guy we can get to walk-on? That seems like a no-brainer to me.

JR Camel, wisely, transferred to Hellgate for his sr. yr after dominating class b (wasn't it?), and also had his (up and down) moments for the Griz, and JR clearly had D1 talent. His downfalls have already been mentioned. Chavez also transferred from Heart Butte to Browning to better prove his abilities. If you choose to stay at low-level Montana hs b-ball, you haven't proven anything (to ppl recruiting@D1) no matter how good you look against terrible competition. Malatare will get his chance to prove his metal as a walk-on. He (and any class C Montanan) can't ask for anything more.

Comparing Malatare to JR or Chavez or any other player is a mistake. None of them came to Montana with the legendary status that Malatare has achieved as a high school player; none of them were capable of putting butts in seats like Malatare will, no matter he comes from a Class C program.

As for the fact he hasn't proven himself at higher levels of competition, what would you say about Espe, Besovic, Bevens--three kids who we thought had proved themselves, but washed out the first year? How about the two kids Shannon has signed for the women's team who as teammates on one team could not win a state championship? Did all these kids deserve scholarships?

Yes, as a rule, you don't give a scholarship to a Class C player, but there are exceptions to every rule, and I feel Malatare is one--one who has earned a scholarship. And if he doesn't pan out? Every Frontier school, including Montana Tech, would offer him a scholarship in a heartbeat, so I think it's a risk we should take.

You are amazing Citay. You have never seen him play and think we should take a chance on him. Travis and his staff have seen him play a few times. I am sure he has played against current players both in summer camp and open gym. I think Travis knows more about the skill level of the kid than you do and I sure trust his evaluation more than I do yours. While your input on local California players that you have seen has been good I think you’re dead wrong on this one. Just my opinion.

"Legendary Status"....?? OMG!! :roll:

citay said:
Zirg said:

I both agree and disagree with Citay. I agree that a scholarship to a deserving MT kid that may be a bit of a flier is better than fliers on guys like those that just left the program. Decuire had to realize right out of the chute this year that Bevins Espe and Besovic weren't going to contribute this year and likely not much next. They had scholarships for the entire season. They are now gone and there seems little concern that their departures will affect anything going forward.

I will disagree with Citay saying Chavez and Camel didn't have somewhat legendary status in Montana and weren't capable of putting butts in the seats. JR's Hellgate team played Billings West twice his senior season. One a sold out Adams Center during the regular season and the other a sold out Metra in the State AA championship game. That championship game was on statewide TV the same night as Griz/Cat game in Bozeman, also on statewide TV. I distinctly recall switching from Griz/Cat to the State AA game and staying there. The HS game was better basketball! Had to be one of best and highest level competition HS games in state history. Dunk fest in that game that night. West had I believe at least two D1 players and Hellgate 2 in Camel and Ryan Dick. JR could fill seats and had top level athleticism. His "legend" continues today as hear his 3 on 3 teams in summer events play with the best of them.

Chavez......I never saw him play in HS but his name was prominent for 3 years in Montana. No question he had D1 teams looking at him from his sophomore year on. He came to Griz with some off court and injury challenges but "filled seats" and was a crowd favorite during his career with Griz. Chavez also 6'6" or 6'7" and athletic.

Both these two had a little more of the physical characteristics of D1. Chavez height, skills and acceptable athleticism. JR a little taller and bigger than Malatare, jumped nearly 7 feet and super quick.

[quote=Btown post_id=1309814 time=1524250896 user_id=1634

"You are amazing Citay."

Thanks, Btown. Nice post. We're in full agreement.

citay said:
Zirg said:

I always appreciate your posts, citay, often full of good info, but I have to wonder how long you've been following rez ball in Montana. Chavez lore reached some comical heights at one point, often being referred to as a native magic Johnson. I'm purely basketball circles, suicide story aside, Chavez b-ball lore reached higher highs, no question.
As for giving Malatare a scholarship... Travis may end up doing just that, but thus far no one else at our level is, so we're getting him for free. Any coach takes that deal if he can get it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the kid ends up earning one, but Travis and gang appear to be exceptional at identifying, evaluating and recruiting talent.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Zirg said:
citay said:
Zirg said:

You make some valid points but men's and women's is completely different. Montana Class B (and perhaps C as well) have long-been productive recruiting sources for the Lady Griz and still have viability, proven by (their best player this year?) Stiles. I was talking about boys/men's only in that regard.

And i disagree with your assertion that JR wasn't "legendary" and highly touted in high school. He definately gota lot of publicity in high-school and I actually watched 2 of his hs games in person, including a packed Dahlberg Arena and finishing his career as the star of the AA championship game, which featured 4 future D1 players. That was probably the most hyped/best-known high-school game in Montana history.

I agree that Espe,Besovic and Bevens turned out to be busts, but they all came from much higher levels than Class C Montana.

Mousegriz said:
citay said:
Zirg said:

I both agree and disagree with Citay. I agree that a scholarship to a deserving MT kid that may be a bit of a flier is better than fliers on guys like those that just left the program. Decuire had to realize right out of the chute this year that Bevins Espe and Besovic weren't going to contribute this year and likely not much next. They had scholarships for the entire season. They are now gone and there seems little concern that their departures will affect anything going forward.

I will disagree with Citay saying Chavez and Camel didn't have somewhat legendary status in Montana and weren't capable of putting butts in the seats. JR's Hellgate team played Billings West twice his senior season. One a sold out Adams Center during the regular season and the other a sold out Metra in the State AA championship game. That championship game was on statewide TV the same night as Griz/Cat game in Bozeman, also on statewide TV. I distinctly recall switching from Griz/Cat to the State AA game and staying there. The HS game was better basketball! Had to be one of best and highest level competition HS games in state history. Dunk fest in that game that night. West had I believe at least two D1 players and Hellgate 2 in Camel and Ryan Dick. JR could fill seats and had top level athleticism. His "legend" continues today as hear his 3 on 3 teams in summer events play with the best of them.

Chavez......I never saw him play in HS but his name was prominent for 3 years in Montana. No question he had D1 teams looking at him from his sophomore year on. He came to Griz with some off court and injury challenges but "filled seats" and was a crowd favorite during his career with Griz. Chavez also 6'6" or 6'7" and athletic.

Both these two had a little more of the physical characteristics of D1. Chavez height, skills and acceptable athleticism. JR a little taller and bigger than Malatare, jumped nearly 7 feet and super quick.

I agree with you on the notoriety, Mouse. I was a middle-schooler in south-central MT and remember very well the hype over JR and that was in a pre-internet era! That State Championship game was legendary! I can still recall watching that game. He was just a different kind of player all around and if Malatare can achieve anywhere close to what JR was (while being a better student), we will be lucky.

I think the biggest disagreement here comes as it always does in any disagreement: Perspective.

If you want to take the perspective of the basketball program, sure, this is a great way to go. We get Malatare for "free," as one poster said. We save a scholarship--one we can now give to another recruit with the potential of an Oguine or Pridgett. And the way our coaches are recruiting, there's a good chance that will happen. Bravo for the program! I get it. And I'm a big fan of the program, and everything DeCuire has done with it, as you all know.

But I've been looking at it from the perspective of Malatare himself. I'm guessing his family does not live on Billionaire's Row (a street of ultra-rich tycoons in San Francisco.) I'm guessing they could probably use a scholarship. They've produced a son who is a lights-out basketball player, led his team to two state championships (quite a feat at ANY level), and wound up on the cover of the New York Times Magazine. No, I was not in Montana during the Chavez-Camel eras, so maybe they were as legendary as Malatare, as many of you claim. Still, they both got scholarships, did they not?

What irks me is the way minorities (and women) in this country have to keep "proving themselves," while the privileged continue to benefit from "legacy" status. This attitude is so baked into our country's ethos we simply take it for granted. At Penn, for example, an Ivy League school, 40% of admissions go to legacy kids (whose parents also went to Penn.) I'm told that nationwide at all schools, the legacy rate is around 30%

At Salesforce, the cloud computing company, the CEO could not believe that women made less than men for the same job, so he commissioned a study. Of course, it was true, and they are now trying to get the pay scales in balance.

As you all know, I have quit following the Lady Griz (one of my early passions), simply because they do not actively recruit African-American players. Instead, a scholarship this year has gone to another legacy player, Shannon's own daughter, who despite failing to win a state championship, has not been asked to "prove herself" by walking on. Nor, on the Men's side, did Espe, Bevins and Besovic have to "prove themselves." They all came in on scholarship, and only proved that none of them could crack the top eight starting rotation.

I am not saying Malatare will be star at Montana, or even a solid role player, any more than the three just mentioned were. But I do think when you have 13 scholarships available, and DeCuire has proven he likes smaller rotations, that Malatare, literally a Native son, one of our own kids, has earned a scholarship. Sure, I'm taking an advocacy position on Malatare's behalf, but guess what. Given the length of this thread, and the many comments pro and con, I'm guessing there's a hidden truth here.

Most of you agree with me.

citay said:
I'm guessing his family does not live on Billionaire's Row (a street of ultra-rich tycoons in San Francisco.) I'm guessing they could probably use a scholarship.

You do realize that he has at least 1 scholarship offer that he is turning down....if money was a huge issue.

citay said:
What irks me is the way minorities (and women) in this country have to keep "proving themselves," while the privileged continue to benefit from "legacy" status.

Really, are you trying to say that he is not getting a scholarship at UM because he is Native American?

I personally have zero issue with him not currently being offered a scholarship and feel he is far from entitled to one. Him being a "native son" is far from a reason that TD should offer him one. But tbh, my gut tells me with all the open scholarships, I don't think TD will be able to fill them, and 1 might possibly just trickle down to him. I am glad Malatare is getting a chance, but I see him moving on after a year or two and ending up in the Frontier Conference.

citay said:
I think the biggest disagreement here comes as it always does in any disagreement: Perspective.

If you want to take the perspective of the basketball program, sure, this is a great way to go. We get Malatare for "free," as one poster said. We save a scholarship--one we can now give to another recruit with the potential of an Oguine or Pridgett. And the way our coaches are recruiting, there's a good chance that will happen. Bravo for the program! I get it. And I'm a big fan of the program, and everything DeCuire has done with it, as you all know.

But I've been looking at it from the perspective of Malatare himself. I'm guessing his family does not live on Billionaire's Row (a street of ultra-rich tycoons in San Francisco.) I'm guessing they could probably use a scholarship. They've produced a son who is a lights-out basketball player, led his team to two state championships (quite a feat at ANY level), and wound up on the cover of the New York Times Magazine. No, I was not in Montana during the Chavez-Camel eras, so maybe they were as legendary as Malatare, as many of you claim. Still, they both got scholarships, did they not?

What irks me is the way minorities (and women) in this country have to keep "proving themselves," while the privileged continue to benefit from "legacy" status. This attitude is so baked into our country's ethos we simply take it for granted. At Penn, for example, an Ivy League school, 40% of admissions go to legacy kids (whose parents also went to Penn.) I'm told that nationwide at all schools, the legacy rate is around 30%

At Salesforce, the cloud computing company, the CEO could not believe that women made less than men for the same job, so he commissioned a study. Of course, it was true, and they are now trying to get the pay scales in balance.

As you all know, I have quit following the Lady Griz (one of my early passions), simply because they do not actively recruit African-American players. Instead, a scholarship this year has gone to another legacy player, Shannon's own daughter, who despite failing to win a state championship, has not been asked to "prove herself" by walking on. Nor, on the Men's side, did Espe, Bevins and Besovic have to "prove themselves." They all came in on scholarship, and only proved that none of them could crack the top eight starting rotation.

I am not saying Malatare will be star at Montana, or even a solid role player, any more than the three just mentioned were. But I do think when you have 13 scholarships available, and DeCuire has proven he likes smaller rotations, that Malatare, literally a Native son, one of our own kids, has earned a scholarship. Sure, I'm taking an advocacy position on Malatare's behalf, but guess what. Given the length of this thread, and the many comments pro and con, I'm guessing there's a hidden truth here.

Most of you agree with me.

If you want to disagree with the evaluation our staff (and just about every other staff in the area) made as far as the player Malatare is that's great, we'll find out pretty soon what if he belongs at this level and I'd love nothing more than for him to prove a ton of coaches wrong. Unfortunately, nothing in this post is about Malatare the basketball it's all about Malatare the story.

His family could use the money? Yeah, so could every student, that's what financial aid is for, not basketball scholarships. He's a native? So are tons of Montanas, that doesn't entitle them to athletic scholarships. We have a small rotation? Great, you use your limited scholarships to try and find a kid that can crack that rotation, not to do favors.

The rest of this post doesn't have anything to do with Malatare or our men's program, though it hilarious that you feel the need to lecture this staff on the issues minorities face in this county.

I feel the need to speak out on anything I disagree with. And while I value this staff greatly, they are not above mistakes, witness four kids who just walked out, either because they weren't good enough to play here, or had a character issue the staff couldn't tolerate. Nobody is infallible. And I would remind you that a lot of experts also missed out on John Stockton and Steph Curry. Two of the greatest point guards in the history of the game were basically lucky to even get college scholarships.

As to Malatare the player, I gave my opinion in an earlier post. That while DeCuire obviously values defense above all else, there were several times this year when our offense went dead at critical times--especially against the Power Five teams, and most especially against Michigan. What I like about Malatare's game, besides his handle, is his ability to see the court, to set up teammates. I haven't seen a talent like his--at his level--of any other kid we have a chance of recruiting.

Which of course gets me to Curry. The secret of his game is that he makes everybody on the team so much better offensively, as measured by points per possession while he is on the court. The offensive numbers of every player on the Warriors just skyrocket when Curry is out there. I think Maltare is the same type player. Not to mention the three-point shot, which is revolutionizing the game of basketball. On this score I don't know if Malatare is that great, but it looks like he can shoot well enough to master an outside shot.

In short, I think Malatare will improve our offense. Sure, it will take him time to bulk up and to adjust to another level; I'd love to see him get a redshirt year. But if he can, I think he could be a starter for us down the road. If nothing else, my opinions are here, in black and white, to be savored at some point in the future, or eaten like a big plate of crow.

citay said:
I feel the need to speak out on anything I disagree with. And while I value this staff greatly, they are not above mistakes, witness four kids who just walked out, either because they weren't good enough to play here, or had a character issue the staff couldn't tolerate. Nobody is infallible. And I would remind you that a lot of experts also missed out on John Stockton and Steph Curry. Two of the greatest point guards in the history of the game were basically lucky to even get college scholarships.

As to Malatare the player, I gave my opinion in an earlier post. That while DeCuire obviously values defense above all else, there were several times this year when our offense went dead at critical times--especially against the Power Five teams, and most especially against Michigan. What I like about Malatare's game, besides his handle, is his ability to see the court, to set up teammates. I haven't seen a talent like his--at his level--of any other kid we have a chance of recruiting.

Which of course gets me to Curry. The secret of his game is that he makes everybody on the team so much better offensively, as measured by points per possession while he is on the court. The offensive numbers of every player on the Warriors just skyrocket when Curry is out there. I think Maltare is the same type player. Not to mention the three-point shot, which is revolutionizing the game of basketball. On this score I don't know if Malatare is that great, but it looks like he can shoot well enough to master an outside shot.

In short, I think Malatare will improve our offense. Sure, it will take him time to bulk up and to adjust to another level; I'd love to see him get a redshirt year. But if he can, I think he could be a starter for us down the road. If nothing else, my opinions are here, in black and white, to be savored at some point in the future, or eaten like a big plate of crow.
No one cares if you are of the opinion that Malatare is a good player potentially worthy of earning a scholarship at some point, I'm sure everyone here, including the coaches, hopes for exactly that. What people object to is your grab bag of reasons and tossing things against the wall to see what sticks. The staff doesn't view him as worthy of money so this point, likely believing that he needs a year of maturity and strength to see if he can play at the level Travis intends to take the griz. Bringing up his race, racial issues, his financial background is white noise garbage and has no bearing on whether he earns a scholarship eventually. If he is as good as you believe him to be, won't he earn money next season? There is no great injustice going on here... Most of D1 basketball agrees with Travis and company's assessment at this point.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

citay said:

Criticizing the staff's evaluation of Malatre is perfectly fine. No one thinks they are infallible, the problem is that so much of the criticism has morphed from a basketball evaluation to all the other things you brought into the picture as far as race and other factors. Implying that racism led to this kid not being offered a scholarship is deeply unfair to our staff and our program.

Does anyone know what his GPA is? Is he on track graduate? Not trying to be negative here, I have no idea, might be more to the story here than we all know. Like I said, I have no knowledge that it's not excellent, just curious.

Citay, I love your passion and honesty. What you describe happens here in S.C. as well, but the set up of high school competition levels tends to favor the best in all leagues rising to the top. Still, if this young guy is ok with walking on, and handles his academics, social life and bball well, he can earn a scholarship. Remember, when I was at UM, freshmen were not allowed to play their first year against upperclassmen. I think it would do the students a great service to go back to that. This kid will make it or not. But, I'm not saying you are wrong.

1972 said:
Does anyone know what his GPA is? Is he on track graduate? Not trying to be negative here, I have no idea, might be more to the story here than we all know. Like I said, I have no knowledge that it's not excellent, just curious.

didn't the NY Times article say he was an above average student?

1972 said:

The New York Times story called Malatare a "good" student, but didn't go beyond that.

As for the subtle -- or maybe not so subtle -- suggestion here that the UM coaches are being unfair to Malatare because he's a minority or Native American, I don't see it. Obviously they've recruited many minority players, with great success, and given them scholarships.

Since Malatare appears to be agreeing to a preferred walk-on arrangement, he apparently can afford to pay for his first year of school. And he appears to be up for the challenge of proving he can play at the Division I level -- I like that.

If indeed he is good enough to succeed at that level, he should be earning a scholarship, I assume, after a year.

If not, I would expect he'd probably do what some others have done -- look for greener pastures in a place like the Frontier Conference.

It is a good deal for the Griz, and it might really be a good deal for Malatare in the long run if it helps him achieve his goal of playing Division I ball. Doesn't sound like anyone else is willing to help him get there.

It's my opinion from watching some youtube highlights that Malatare is perhaps the greatest high school talent since Jim Thorpe.
In a word he's --- 'Legionary.'

The fact that no NBA (or Euro league) team will offer him a spot on the roster is RACIST.

Elizabeth Warren 2020

Back