• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GIVE MALATARE A SCHOLARSHIP!!

Mavman said:
I have watched some highlights and kid is decent. My question for those of you that watch him alot or are more in the know, How does he stack up to Jordan gregory, Timmy falls, Rorie, Oquine ????
Is he like a Criswell , Lake, or Gary Kane????

JR Camel

grizgal said:
No. Native students do not get a free education. If a Montana resident is at least 25% blood quantum as certified by tribal authority ( usually), has need as defined through the FAFSA process and determined by the financial aid office he or she may apply for the MUS tuition waiver. This will waive only tuition but none of the additional fees charged.

The waiver covers aproximately 2/3 of the tuition and fees charged. It also does not pay for housing, food, books, etc.Currently an undergraduate instate student at UM is paying $3531.33 per semester for tuition and fees. The waiver would deduct $2590.92 from that bill. So no, it is not a free education for native students.

Thanks so much for the info. I really had no idea so that helped clarify. I can see where TD is in a tough spot then. It's either a full ride or nothing (no partials in hoops) and if he qualifies, Phil could get about half his school covered. Yea that's a tough one. I'm a huge fan of the kids and I hope he comes to the Griz. I think he is worthy of a scholarship

Maybe a couple questions those who have seen him play in person can answer in regards to his ability to play at UM or the div 1 level..
1. Can he guard his position (Rorie, Mike, Timmy)
2. Can he score at all 3 levels (3, mid-range, paint)
3. Can he score efficiently in half court offense
These are questions that have to be asked of all incoming high school seniors, but especially of Malatare since he played small school ball and the level change is so drastic. Did he play any AAU?
Rooting for a local MT guard to make some waves, but not sure his question marks outweigh his potential enough to provide a scholarship right away

The young man clearly brings numerous gifts, talent, and character to the table. Here is his opportunity to prove to the coaching staff he is scholarship-deserving and more power to him. Welcome aboard Phillip! :thumb:

He can play with anyone. I have watched him for 2 years, once in the chipper. He has no fear of shooting from the outside or driving to the basket. He does not have the outside shot of Gary Kane (who really does, even now?) but Gary was not a slasher or a creator, Malatare is. He can handle the ball well and it will be an adjustment to D1 for sure but he has the skills to. My question is can he mentally handle it. Even in the article one of the coaches said "Stop playing Missoula ball". Playing ball for a reservation team is a different style of ball that is at the college level and can he adjust his playing mentality?

I’ve been watching Phillip all four years of his high school career and know his family decently well. He is a great kid with great parents. When comparing Phillip to past Griz players I’d say his style is similar to JR Camel although I think Phillips jump shot is better. The thing about watching him is he is so unselfish that if you didn’t know better you’d think he can’t shoot the three when in fact he’d rather get a higher percentage shot for his teammates or himself then fire away from deep.

This kid flat out never gets tired. He can play the entire game full court pressing and never sub out or let up. His defensive skills and rebounding were top notch regardless of the Class C level he played at. He was always the teams leading rebounder and bumping with the big guys. He seemed to know when to take over a game also, he just has that leadership skill that a star needs. The kid was a blast to watch. I wish him the best, regardless of the roll he’ll play for the Griz.

The thing I admire the most about him is his determination and the fact that he loves a challenge. The kid is flat out relentless and will do anything it takes to make his team better. He’s totally unselfish and humble. He has many skills he needs to improve on but he easily could have scored 30+ a game and averaged a triple double all season. Generally, due to Arlee dominating the competition all season he barely played 16-20 minutes of the game and still had rediculous stats.

Personally, I don’t think Phillip cares that he didn’t get a full ride. Knowing what I know of him it will make him that much more determined to prove people wrong. Good luck to this young man and Go Griz!!

I am not getting all the JR Camel comparisons...? Maybe I haven’t seen both of them play enough but I thought Camel seemed way bigger than PM. I thought Camel was a 3/4 in H.S. while PM was a 1/2. To me, their games are nothing alike. One seemed to play above the rim and the other on the perimeter. What am I missing?

JR Camel was 6’1” and a PG. He had a good mid-range game, was a pretty good defensive player also. That’s why the comparisons. Height and position are very similar as are their styles.

If you look at things objectively, some former Griz players who seemed very talented at the time they played, probably wouldn't even make the team these days. DeCuire is taking us to a higher level of play. Maybe a player like Malatare is at that level - will be fun to see.

Ok. I messed up; I was thinking of Chavez, not Camel. My bad.
Still, can PM bounce like JR? Seems like JR had incredible ups, and that might be why I confused them.
And was JR a coach on PM’s Arlee squad? Did I hear that right?

garizzalies said:
Still, can PM bounce like JR? Seems like JR had incredible ups, and that might be why I confused them.

JR had hops all right, sometimes to his disadvantage. In a game down here against San Jose State, I saw him try a 360-degree breakaway dunk, and miss awkwardly and embarrassingly. Ahmaad Rorie has similar hops but I haven't seen him try to show off.

garizzalies said:

Prolly not the same hops as Camel but just as quick. PM can dunk the ball but he most likely won’t have any highlight reel dunks.

You always have the option to give a walk-on a scholly if he earns it. With the question marks around this kid it seems to make sense to at least wait until we see him against real competition in the fall.

I'm very intrigued by this young man and have been watching several videos of him and had some other people check out his videos. Just from watching videos of him vs Oguine senior year videos and Eddy the new recruits videos biggest difference I see is the speed of the competition. He seems like a young man willing to work his tail off and make himself better. I think he will take a few years to get used to the level of competition he will face in college.
One thing that I found coolest about Phil's videos was how packed the gyms were that he played in.
I also loved seeing packed houses at the state tournaments. Our crowds suck for state tournaments here!

Next time you blow up to the lake with the cruise set on 70, maybe take time to slow down and have a cup of coffee and a slice of pie with the good people of Arlee.The town has been through hell and high -water. Too many good people with good hearts gone waaay before their due time ... tough stuff... Phil needs to put all his doubters to the side and prove them all wrong.....just like Marianni did. Of all Places, Arlee needs a good feel story from one of their own....from one of OUR own. ...If Phil makes the grades, we will have the chance to see something very special, a local Kid as an awesome point guard that will make Montana proud. :thumb:

Go Griz

Bowmat said:
Is he a good student? If I remember correctly, that was JR's downfall.

According to the New York Times article, he is. But how often do we ask that question. Did we ask it of Micheal Ray back in the day? How about Mack Anderson? Or our new recruit, Eddy Egun? Or any of our recent recruits, basketball or football? Why do we ask that question of Malatare? Just because JR was a bad student? Or is there another more stereotypical issue at play here.

Let me guess.

Bowmat said:

JR wasn't a bad student. He simply was not a student at all. He just never went to class.

Ever wonder why the Griz never ran set plays, just free-lance, when JR was in the game? It was because he didn't come to practice when the plays were put in for the up-coming game.

citay said:
Bowmat said:

According to the New York Times article, he is. But how often do we ask that question. Did we ask it of Micheal Ray back in the day? How about Mack Anderson? Or our new recruit, Eddy Egun? Or any of our recent recruits, basketball or football? Why do we ask that question of Malatare? Just because JR was a bad student? Or is there another more stereotypical issue at play here.

Let me guess.

Sweet JESUS, you need a “jump to conclusions” mat.... :roll:

You may not spend much time on the football board, but it’s asked ALL THE TIME over there. Of course, it’s only asked about the black guys. :D :D

Back