• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Five Beers to Try Before I Die

polsongrizz said:
MrTitleist said:
SoldierGriz said:
polsongrizz said:
Any beer below 60 IBU's should be considered a Pale Ale. That being said I am sure most of you have noticed that whatever the IBU numbers they don't all taste the same.

Knowing the IBUs of the beer only gives real meaning when you also know the OG. 50 IBUs might taste fairly bitter if the OG were only 1.035, but would be less pronounced if the OG were, say, 1.060.

Holy crap - you have a friggin PhD in beer. Congratulations - wow, much respect. :clap:

Dude.. trust me, it gets really annoying after a while. lol

As he makes plans to hit up my place for some of the best beers on the planet...LOL
I'd hit up your place for the same! If I knew what that meant haha

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So has anyone had a chance to try the new imperial or barrel aged imperial at kettle house that was released last week?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hansa Lager - Windhoek, Namibia
Imperial - Costa Rica
Double Brown- New Zealand
Tiger lager- Vietnam
Pripps Bla - Sweden

Most of these beers are nothing to write home about (except Hansa) but it means you've been in some really cool countries.

Rouge Hazelnut Brown.
Rouge Chocolate Stout.
Rouge Dead Guy.
Deschuets Black Butte Porter.

Rouge Brewery all around has some darn good beer! Seasonals are good, like there Pumpkin and Maple Bacon! I have not tried it but hear Maple Bacon beer in pancake mix excellent..

Ursa Major said:
632BEER said:
Only one fore me...San Miguel Pale Pilsen. From the Philippines. Great, great beer IMHO.
Do they still put formaldehyde in it? A couple of Navy guys told me that, not sure if it's true. AZGrizFan?
As an old Navy vet I can assure you that there was never any formaldehyde in the beer. The imported American beers had formaldehyde in them for preservation purposes since the beers were brought to Asia via ships and usually unrefrigerated ships at that. The San Miguel brewery now features 5-6 different beers and most are good to very good but the pale pilsen is still the best.

polsongrizz said:
Ursa Major said:
632BEER said:
Only one fore me...San Miguel Pale Pilsen. From the Philippines. Great, great beer IMHO.
Do they still put formaldehyde in it? A couple of Navy guys told me that, not sure if it's true. AZGrizFan?
I have never heard that and I was in the P.I. numerous times. I did hear that there are no regulations on the stuff they brew to be sold only in country.

San Miguel is imported from the Philippines now. It is regulated. You can find it at the Orange Street Food Farm once in awhile. I have my brother buy it for me at Seafood City in Seattle. Went to the Griz Husky game and stocked up while I was there. In the old days, (60's thru 80's) it may not have been but I'm still alive so either I have a cast iron gut or the beer was fine. :thumb:

ORGUNGRIZ said:
Rouge Hazelnut Brown.
Rouge Chocolate Stout.
Rouge Dead Guy.
Deschuets Black Butte Porter.

Rouge Brewery all around has some darn good beer! Seasonals are good, like there Pumpkin and Maple Bacon! I have not tried it but hear Maple Bacon beer in pancake mix excellent..
I’m thinking you mean Rogue and Deschutes,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac & Jack's African Amber-Washington but available at Paradise Falls and The Iron Horse
Montieths Original Ale-New Zealand
Mac's Black Ale-New Zealand
Ram 71 Pale Ale-Washington
Smithwicks Irish Ale-Ireland

632BEER said:
Ursa Major said:
632BEER said:
As an old Navy vet I can assure you that there was never any formaldehyde in the beer. The imported American beers had formaldehyde in them for preservation purposes since the beers were brought to Asia via ships and usually unrefrigerated ships at that. The San Miguel brewery now features 5-6 different beers and most are good to very good but the pale pilsen is still the best.

Bell's in Uganda used to have formaldehyde in it. Worst beer hangover ever!

As a home brewer I can tell you that if you brew at a high temperature you’ll brew faster. Brewers have done this to produce more to keep costs down so they can sell cheaper. Formaldehyde is a significant by-product of high temperature fermentation and does cause one hell of a bad hangover.

Grisly Fan said:
As a home brewer I can tell you that if you brew at a high temperature you’ll brew faster. Brewers have done this to produce more to keep costs down so they can sell cheaper. Formaldehyde is a significant by-product of high temperature fermentation and does cause one hell of a bad hangover.

So true. I know you are way past this stage in your hobby, but I cringe every time one of my buddies wants me to try his first batch of closet fermented beer. I've choked down more Band-Aid Bitter and Neosporin Porter than I care to remember.

632BEER said:
polsongrizz said:
Ursa Major said:
632BEER said:
I have never heard that and I was in the P.I. numerous times. I did hear that there are no regulations on the stuff they brew to be sold only in country.

San Miguel is imported from the Philippines now. It is regulated. You can find it at the Orange Street Food Farm once in awhile. I have my brother buy it for me at Seafood City in Seattle. Went to the Griz Husky game and stocked up while I was there. In the old days, (60's thru 80's) it may not have been but I'm still alive so either I have a cast iron gut or the beer was fine. :thumb:

:thumb:

Have you guys ever had Bud Ice before? I never knew that budweiser offered an Ice beer, I was pleasantly surprised. Keystone Ice will always bee my favorite Ice beer but Bud Ice wasn't bad.

CDAGRIZ said:
Grisly Fan said:

I've choked down more Band-Aid Bitter and Neosporin Porter than I care to remember.

After another dozen batches or so, your buddies will refer to those as Belgians and Wild Ales.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

polsongrizz said:
632BEER said:
polsongrizz said:
Ursa Major said:

:thumb:

Never made it to the PI so it wasn’t me that told you that....

Paytonlives said:
Don’t know the name of it but there is a beer in Hawaii made with coconuts.

This one's from California.. pretty damn good.

the-patsy_orig.jpg

RobGriz said:
Paytonlives said:
Don’t know the name of it but there is a beer in Hawaii made with coconuts.

Koko Brown Ale-Kona Brewing
Maui brewing coconut Porter. Comes in a can. I was in Maui in July and got a bottle of the imperial. Snuck two of them back in my checked baggage. I haven't opened them yet. But if you want to celebrate a bobcat win Saturday I could open one up......

Noone tried the freezeout from kettle house yet?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back