• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

First Day of Full Pads

Ursus1 said:
AZDoc said:
Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:
And you would take that away, why? It was not a fluke; it showed unusual talent. Pretty sure Gresch couldn't have made that run. GJ had 203 yards in 53 attempts (3.8 ave.) against much weaker competition.

Haven't done a lot of advanced statistics work have you....outliers have a lot more impact on the mean (average). The median and mode would be a much better numbers to look at to gauge overall effectiveness. Don't want to get into how many standard deviations it is, but easy to see an outlier.

Then again you might be a person more prone to buy an album from a group with a one hit wonder than a group with overall good music than I would....

Used statistics and logic to make a point! I think this was my favorite post of the day. Thank you. :thumb:

Thanks.... instead of the one hit wonder analogy, I almost went with choosing to hire a "coach who invented the fly sweep over one that pound teams into submission and dominated the big sky for years" but the pain is still too much to go there.....

i don't see how statistics were genuinely used here. parameters weren't defined - for instance, what set of numbers are you using to determine that the 98 yard run was a genuine outlier(bqm) sneed's carries that year(bqm) his whole career(bqm) all qb's in the mountain west(bqm) all football plays(bqm) also, which outlier test did you use, and what is the probability cut-off you are using to accept an outlier(bqm) 0.05%, 0.01%, or something different(bqm)

what i glean from his long run is that it is within his skill set to have such long runs. don't really think it is within jensen's. you seem to want to pretend sneed doesn't bring that ability because the run could be determined to be a statistical outlier based on... your own mysterious criteria.

argh! said:
Ursus1 said:
AZDoc said:
Ursus1 said:
Haven't done a lot of advanced statistics work have you....outliers have a lot more impact on the mean (average). The median and mode would be a much better numbers to look at to gauge overall effectiveness. Don't want to get into how many standard deviations it is, but easy to see an outlier.

Then again you might be a person more prone to buy an album from a group with a one hit wonder than a group with overall good music than I would....

Used statistics and logic to make a point! I think this was my favorite post of the day. Thank you. :thumb:

Thanks.... instead of the one hit wonder analogy, I almost went with choosing to hire a "coach who invented the fly sweep over one that pound teams into submission and dominated the big sky for years" but the pain is still too much to go there.....

i don't see how statistics were genuinely used here. parameters weren't defined - for instance, what set of numbers are you using to determine that the 98 yard run was a genuine outlier(bqm) sneed's carries that year(bqm) his whole career(bqm) all qb's in the mountain west(bqm) all football plays(bqm) also, which outlier test did you use, and what is the probability cut-off you are using to accept an outlier(bqm) 0.05%, 0.01%, or something different(bqm)

what i glean from his long run is that it is within his skill set to have such long runs. don't really think it is within jensen's. you seem to want to pretend sneed doesn't bring that ability because the run could be determined to be a statistical outlier based on... your own mysterious criteria.

And all of you are manipulating the data; e.g., you are choosing of your own free will to cherry pick your data by only using a small, statistically insignificant sample size rather than the entire population. You are crunching numbers just to be safe and just to be playing with your digits and afraid if you don't publish, you will perish. Guess what! You are in an insignifact site right now...and it's going to be peer reviewed by those who actually understand the correlation of Xs and Os...

Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:
Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:
Keeping it real, the highlight tape must show every one of his completions. In 2016 for UNLV, Sneed was 39 of 88 (44.3%) for 632 yards, 5 TDs, 2 ints, 3 sacks. He rushed for 348 and one TD in 57 attempts (6.1 ave.). Poor completion percentage aside, the kid showed the speed, mobility, arm and field vision of a great prospect, especially for FCS.
Take away the one rush for about 98 yards and rushind stats are not very special
And you would take that away, why? It was not a fluke; it showed unusual talent. Pretty sure Gresch couldn't have made that run. GJ had 203 yards in 53 attempts (3.8 ave.) against much weaker competition.

OK smartass statistics whiz, I suppose the 3 sacks for negative yardage in 57 attempts are not outliers. Since it's "easy to see an outlier," your argument is exposed as narrative and not statistical science.
You're not interested in outliers in Gresch's efforts. Have you ever seen outliers considered in any rushing statistics leadership considerations? There are reasons.

I have a lot of one-hit wonders among my nearly 10,000 albums. Some of the best stuff. And while the hits are "outliers," the non-single album tracks can be excellent; some would say "overall good music," as good as overall good music albums without hits. An interesting subject for your advanced statistical work.

kemajic said:
Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:
Ursus1 said:
Take away the one rush for about 98 yards and rushind stats are not very special

OK smartass statistics whiz, I suppose the 3 sacks for negative yardage in 57 attempts are not outliers. Since it's "easy to see an outlier," your argument is exposed as narrative and not statistical science.
You're not interested in outliers in Gresch's efforts. Have you ever seen outliers considered in any rushing statistics leadership considerations? There are reasons.

I have a lot of one-hit wonders among my nearly 10,000 albums. Some of the best stuff. And while the hits are "outliers," the non-single album tracks can be excellent; some would say "overall good music," as good as overall good music albums without hits. An interesting subject for your advanced statistical work.

God! Take this off please! Now he's talking about his 10,000 hits...I thought he was high...when I first started reading his not so good shit...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
kemajic said:
Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:

God! Take this off please! Now he's talking about his 10,000 hits...I thought he was high...when I first started reading his not so good shit...

...and you have to be high to fiddle fuck around with sadistics all the time...just sayin...

GrizGuy said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Yukon said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/on-first-day-of-full-pads-montana-grizzly-incoming-offensive/article_c3b69c42-047f-5654-9357-3a9dd563acf8.html

My understanding is that this type of reporting on spring ball is frowned apon. Amy might find her self in eGriz prison and band from practice.

That's what I'm saying.

Yeah, it totally sucks when reporters report basic observations and talk to sources and quote them directly. If they're not boosters for the team/school/administration bigly, then they need to be banned.

:thumb:

As everyone knows statistics can be purposefully shown in a way to mislead. As for the data set, it was his total rushing attempts as shown to create the 6+ yard average......the sacks are in my opionion not outliers is my guess (don't have all data) based on the standard deviations likely in this data set. As for using those outliers in rushing titles (usually those titles only a big deal in running backs).....not comparing like groups if you mean RB vs QB. A confidence level of .05 is good enough for this study.

Do I think Sneed has a different skill set...hell yes. Can in be successful? Possibly. Could Jensen have made that run....not likely *actually more of a miracle.

I just don't get excited by running yards for a QB if passing is mediocre. Sure it can be effective (ala the clown from Bozo) but sure want my QB in this day and age passer first, runner second.

May the best man win.. as long as team is behind him and it is the best chance for team success he should be #1. If GJ had not had such a good year as a redshirt freshman, I think Sneed would be a shoe in, but GJ showed he can flat out play. New offense, so job is wide open and I have no clue which guy will better fit it, and guessing neither do the coaches YET.

Now can you sell a few of those shitty albums to help pay for argh! keyboard issue

Ursus1 said:
As everyone knows statistics can be purposefully shown in a way to mislead. As for the data set, it was his total rushing attempts as shown to create the 6+ yard average......the sacks are in my opionion not outliers is my guess (don't have all data) based on the standard deviations likely in this data set. As for using those outliers in rushing titles (usually those titles only a big deal in running backs).....not comparing like groups if you mean RB vs QB. A confidence level of .05 is good enough for this study.

Do I think Sneed has a different skill set...hell yes. Can in be successful? Possibly. Could Jensen have made that run....not likely *actually more of a miracle.

I just don't get excited by running yards for a QB if passing is mediocre. Sure it can be effective (ala the clown from Bozo) but sure want my QB in this day and age passer first, runner second.

May the best man win.. as long as team is behind him and it is the best chance for team success he should be #1. If GJ had not had such a good year as a redshirt freshman, I think Sneed would be a shoe in, but GJ showed he can flat out play. New offense, so job is wide open and I have no clue which guy will better fit it, and guessing neither do the coaches YET.

Now can you sell a few of those shitty albums to help pay for argh! keyboard issue
Nah, I'd miss the (bqm) bit.

Spring will be crucial for building Montana's safety depth
https://skylinesportsmt.com/spring-will-be-crucial-for-building-montanas-safety-depth/

Sam A. Blitz said:
Agree with Kem. You have to take highlight videos with a grain of salt. The numbers aren't great and he wasn't able to keep the job.

Still talented and very athletic with a strong arm, but to call him the next big thing based off of highlight videos, is probably the wrong way to assess him.

Jensen proved himself as one of the best young QBs in the FCS. If Snead is good enough to beat him, that will say a lot about Snead. He has a lot to prove to do that though IMO.

We ALL love Jensen. He is very good, and a great kid. He has bonded with the team for years. :arrow: For that single reason a lone he will start the 2018 season.

But just as you have to take highlight videos with a grain of salt, so do you have to take Jensen "proving himself as one of the best young QBs in the FCS" against the BOTTOM OF THE BSC conference.

We need both QBs at thier best! Glad to have both!

IntuitiveGriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
Agree with Kem. You have to take highlight videos with a grain of salt. The numbers aren't great and he wasn't able to keep the job.

Still talented and very athletic with a strong arm, but to call him the next big thing based off of highlight videos, is probably the wrong way to assess him.

Jensen proved himself as one of the best young QBs in the FCS. If Snead is good enough to beat him, that will say a lot about Snead. He has a lot to prove to do that though IMO.

We ALL love Jensen. He is very good, and a great kid. He has bonded with the team for years. :arrow: For that single reason a lone he will start the 2018 season.

But just as you have to take highlight videos with a grain of salt, so do you have to take Jensen "proving himself as one of the best young QBs in the FCS" against the BOTTOM OF THE BSC conference.

If Gresch loses his job this year (and I don't think he will) my guess it to simply save the poor kid. Sneed might be a better scrambler, and that is exactly what we might need.

Not sure if he would fit this year's "system" better but he might just fit this year's talent better.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

If he starts, it won't be for that reason alone. The better QB will start. Snead has an uphill battle because of Jensen's ability and talent, not just because he has a couple years bonding with teammates. Jensen will need to improve from his Freshman year. Snead will need to be much improved from his time at UNLV and at JC.

Griz#64 said:
You left out the Table of Random Samples, and The Standard error of the Mean.

Utilizing analytics "within" and not having a known variance precludes and renders invalid the assumptions in this study! That, and establishing a confidence level at 95 percent versus 99.9 percent is a crock and mere crunching numbers to crunch numbers. Invalid AND unreliable even though to a statistician, in their own skewed minutiate mind their psuedo-research is in fact "statistically" significant, but, in the game of football (and the so called behavioral "sciences") that grind out meaningless after meaningless peer reviewed drivel, refusing to accept outliers as relevant, one would assume Auburn did not return a missed field goal against Alabama a couple of years ago, that there is no such thing as a Hail Mary pass...

Christ, go play with Ron Ash's kid. His did used sonny boy's analytics right out the front door...good point Griz 64...

Back