• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations for this season

RayWill said:
SloStang said:
You are not playing Cal Poly this year so you got that going for ya. Sorry, couldn't resist. I am hoping the Griz have a great year. The conference is better when the Griz do well.

:lol: How is Poly looking SloTang?

Solid. The run game will be one of the best we have had, and that is saying something. What will determine if we are an elite offense is how well the passing game will be under new QB Kahleel Jenkins. I have not been out to spring practice, but I hear he looks good.

Where we need to see improvement is on defense. We return all of our three deep in the secondary and have a new coach with PAC 12 experience so I expect improvement there. We lose 3 of our 4 starting LBs, but will be faster and more athletic there. We have a solid starting D-line, but lack depth. They are bringing in 5 freshmen and I expect at least 2 to be in the rotation. Overall I think we will be improved on defense. For Cal Poly to make a deep run they will need to see a lot of improvement. Time will tell.

SloStang said:
You are not playing Cal Poly this year so you got that going for ya. Sorry, couldn't resist. I am hoping the Griz have a great year. The conference is better when the Griz do well.

Love/hate thing with you guys.

fanofzoo said:
SloStang said:

Love/hate thing with you guys.

Mostly hate.. Poly's always been able to beat us when they shouldn't.

8-3....losses to UW, EWU and someone we shouldnt lose to but do cuz were on the road and it will send everyone in egriz into a mass panic....the Weber game looks good for that.

I think we see Improved leadership and overall display of toughness and play from QB.

O-line will be just OK....

Defense will be better than last year and consistent. Thats my guess.

Somewhere between 7-4 and 4-7. This is a must perform year for the coaching staff and wish them well but have guarded expectations.
For the longest time I expected the Griz to go out and win every game they played. Then I evolved to expecting the Griz to be competitive and hope they win. Now I am at the point where I just hope they don't loose.
I will still be a loyal Griz fan regardless of their record.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
8-3....losses to UW, EWU and someone we shouldnt lose to but do cuz were on the road and it will send everyone in egriz into a mass panic....the Weber game looks good for that.

I think we see Improved leadership and overall display of toughness and play from QB.

O-line will be just OK....

Defense will be better than last year and consistent. Thats my guess.

I like this right here. Will add a first round playoff win, perhaps a second. Progress being the word of the year.

Halfway between low and no expectations. Two winnable games in September along with pending disaster in emerald city. As for the rest, who knows.

IF we can get out of first month above .500 we could build some momentum and have a shot at post season.

A guess at anywhere between 4-7 and 7-4.

I truly believe that all true Griz fans expect a winning season. Saying anything other than Griz win is just plain nonsense. I never expect them to lose! My heart always says win!

We will lose to Hellgate by 30 and the champions center will be recommissioned and revealed as the Royce Engstrom advanced school for college administrative studies

BWahlberg said:
We will lose to Hellgate by 30 and the champions center will be recommissioned and revealed as the Royce Engstrom advanced school for college administrative studies

:lol:

RayWill said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN
9/9/17 at Washington LOSS
9/16/17 Savannah State WIN
9/23/17 Eastern Washington LOSS
9/30/17 at Portland State WIN
10/7/17 at Idaho State WIN
10/14/17 North Dakota LOSS
10/28/17 at Weber State 50/50
11/4/17 Northern Arizona LOSS
11/11/17 Northern Colorado 50/50
11/18/17 at Montana State LOSS

So say most likely 5-6. Have seen scrimmages at EWU, MSU, UM (TV) PORTLAND and have a freind whom follows the NAU Jacks that says they are looking really sharp. North Dakota sounds to be tough again, Weber was a surprise last year. At this point barring major improvement the defense will help keep the Griz in some tight games but the offense does not have the dynamic to get the job done yet. 5-6 Griz no better than the 5th or 6th team in the Big Sky sitting at home watching the post season on TV.

Griz are 16-19 on the road since 2011. They were 1-4 in 2016. They will likely lose at least 3 on the road this year. They have 3 tough home games that could all be loses. I would say 6-5 is a real possibility with this team.

RayWill said:
Griz2k said:
AZGrizFan said:
So EWU loses their entire coaching staff and we're just penciling in a loss to those guys? At home?

WTF Griz Nation?

Sorry, but EWU is still a better team. I doubt they're going to forget how to play football just because Baldwin left. I don't believe the Griz offense will be able to keep up.

Yep. Saw a scrimmage last week, something to do and a buddy got us in. Anyways they looked good. Receiver corps is arguably better than the Griz, Gubrud looks even more poised in the pocket and delivering dead on passes, Run game was great, solid Oline, Defensive line was much improved. The only glaring weakness was the secondary.

Apparently only Montana suffers when it changes coaches then.

Griz2k said:
RayWill said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN
9/9/17 at Washington LOSS
9/16/17 Savannah State WIN
9/23/17 Eastern Washington LOSS
9/30/17 at Portland State WIN
10/7/17 at Idaho State WIN
10/14/17 North Dakota LOSS
10/28/17 at Weber State 50/50
11/4/17 Northern Arizona LOSS
11/11/17 Northern Colorado 50/50
11/18/17 at Montana State LOSS

So say most likely 5-6. Have seen scrimmages at EWU, MSU, UM (TV) PORTLAND and have a freind whom follows the NAU Jacks that says they are looking really sharp. North Dakota sounds to be tough again, Weber was a surprise last year. At this point barring major improvement the defense will help keep the Griz in some tight games but the offense does not have the dynamic to get the job done yet. 5-6 Griz no better than the 5th or 6th team in the Big Sky sitting at home watching the post season on TV.

I think the Griz lose at PSU, other than that, pretty much agree with this post.

So, Ray is saying 5-6 and you're predicting 4-7?

I'll take the over in each of those cases....for as much money as you boys are willing to wager.

AZGrizFan said:
RayWill said:
Griz2k said:
AZGrizFan said:
So EWU loses their entire coaching staff and we're just penciling in a loss to those guys? At home?

WTF Griz Nation?

Sorry, but EWU is still a better team. I doubt they're going to forget how to play football just because Baldwin left. I don't believe the Griz offense will be able to keep up.

Yep. Saw a scrimmage last week, something to do and a buddy got us in. Anyways they looked good. Receiver corps is arguably better than the Griz, Gubrud looks even more poised in the pocket and delivering dead on passes, Run game was great, solid Oline, Defensive line was much improved. The only glaring weakness was the secondary.

Just hope that more start hiring their own version of Mick D

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
RayWill said:
Griz2k said:

Just hope that more start hiring their own version of Mick D

I hear ya....he did us no favors, for sure. But, consider this:

EWU has essentially a new coaching staff that's never worked together as a unit before, and certainly not during crunch time of a game-time decision-making scenario
EWU has a new head coach that's never been a head coach before.
He's on record as saying he wants a more "balanced" attack that doesn't depend on passing during the cold weather (I.e.: playoff) games...
They have a new Offensive Coordiator who's NEVER been an OC, who's last coaching stop was coaching HIGH SCHOOL and who hasn't coached at the college level since 2007.
They open with Texas Tech and NDSU and will most likely be 1-2 coming into Wa/Griz
The game is at Wa/Griz

And guess what? Their defense essentially dominated their offense during their spring game...sound familiar? :lol:

I think the Griz win. :cool: :cool:

Back