• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations for this season

So EWU loses their entire coaching staff and we're just penciling in a loss to those guys? At home?

WTF Griz Nation?

AZGrizFan said:
So EWU loses their entire coaching staff and we're just penciling in a loss to those guys? At home?

WTF Griz Nation?

Sorry, but EWU is still a better team. I doubt they're going to forget how to play football just because Baldwin left. I don't believe the Griz offense will be able to keep up.

RayWill said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN
9/9/17 at Washington LOSS
9/16/17 Savannah State WIN
9/23/17 Eastern Washington LOSS
9/30/17 at Portland State WIN
10/7/17 at Idaho State WIN
10/14/17 North Dakota LOSS
10/28/17 at Weber State 50/50
11/4/17 Northern Arizona LOSS
11/11/17 Northern Colorado 50/50
11/18/17 at Montana State LOSS

So say most likely 5-6. Have seen scrimmages at EWU, MSU, UM (TV) PORTLAND and have a freind whom follows the NAU Jacks that says they are looking really sharp. North Dakota sounds to be tough again, Weber was a surprise last year. At this point barring major improvement the defense will help keep the Griz in some tight games but the offense does not have the dynamic to get the job done yet. 5-6 Griz no better than the 5th or 6th team in the Big Sky sitting at home watching the post season on TV.

I think the Griz lose at PSU, other than that, pretty much agree with this post.

PlayerRep said:
fanofzoo said:
They will go as far as the O-line can take them. :pray:

Agreed, along with the qb, the defense, the other players, the coaching, and the bounce of the ball--and the fans in the NEZ.

God bless them fore they up the decibel count among the weak.

Griz2k said:
RayWill said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN

So say most likely 5-6. Have seen scrimmages at EWU, MSU, UM (TV) PORTLAND and have a freind whom follows the NAU Jacks that says they are looking really sharp. North Dakota sounds to be tough again, Weber was a surprise last year. At this point barring major improvement the defense will help keep the Griz in some tight games but the offense does not have the dynamic to get the job done yet. 5-6 Griz no better than the 5th or 6th team in the Big Sky sitting at home watching the post season on TV.

I think the Griz lose at PSU, other than that, pretty much agree with this post.
I Figured that too at first. But figured they were likely to win one game they should lose and lose one they should win by law of averages. But yes Portland looks dynamic this year.

Griz2k said:
AZGrizFan said:

WTF Griz Nation?

Sorry, but EWU is still a better team. I doubt they're going to forget how to play football just because Baldwin left. I don't believe the Griz offense will be able to keep up.

Yep. Saw a scrimmage last week, something to do and a buddy got us in. Anyways they looked good. Receiver corps is arguably better than the Griz, Gubrud looks even more poised in the pocket and delivering dead on passes, Run game was great, solid Oline, Defensive line was much improved. The only glaring weakness was the secondary.

RayWill said:
Griz2k said:
RayWill said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN

I Figured that too at first. But figured they were likely to win one game they should lose and lose one they should win by law of averages. But yes Portland looks dynamic this year.
Despite the fact that I really disagree with your prediction that we'll go 2-4 at home this year, this is what upset me most about anything you said.

That is not a thing.

RayWill said:
Griz2k said:
AZGrizFan said:

WTF Griz Nation?

Yep. Saw a scrimmage last week, something to do and a buddy got us in. Anyways they looked good. Receiver corps is arguably better than the Griz, Gubrud looks even more poised in the pocket and delivering dead on passes, Run game was great, solid Oline, Defensive line was much improved. The only glaring weakness was the secondary.

Well their last scrimmage EWU's defense dominated their O. The point is I am not sure we should read much into a spring performance. There's still a ways to go. The OL will get better by then because that's a position group that take time to jell. I think 7-4 to 9-2 are realistic with the talent we have and the advantage of being home for our toughest conference match ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest question. If the spring game score was reversed, if the oline dominated the D line and backers, our CB's broke down and get repeatedly beat, would you change your predictions? Or say our offense will have to try to keep up with other team's scores.

We've got athletes and team speed on both sides of the ball. I think they will surprise this year.

uofmman1122 said:
RayWill said:
Griz2k said:
RayWill said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN

Despite the fact that I really disagree with your prediction that we'll go 2-4 at home this year, this is what upset me most about anything you said.

That is not a thing.

Neither is predicting the future. Really at this point my opinion and anyone else's is a wild ass guess. Still time for things to turn around but if the same team that played the way they did SAT against most of the Big sky then yes, 2-4 at home

A lot will depend on Calhoun's health. If the offense can't get a resemblance of a running game it will struggle with the better teams. Based on Saturday's scrimmage I have no expectations for the football team. The number one offense was stunningly ineffective and sloppy.

I really liked the format of the scrimmage tho.

dayday said:
RayWill said:
Griz2k said:
AZGrizFan said:

WTF Griz Nation?

Well their last scrimmage EWU's defense dominated their O. The point is I am not sure we should read much into a spring performance. There's still a ways to go. The OL will get better by then because that's a position group that take time to jell. I think 7-4 to 9-2 are realistic with the talent we have and the advantage of being home for our toughest conference match ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not see that one. I do agree with you. Come fall this team could be much better. Guess the last 5 years or so maybe have just lowered my expectations a little. Frankly I am hoping I am very wrong.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Honest question. If the spring game score was reversed, if the o-line dominated the D line and backers, our CB's broke down and get repeatedly beat, would you change your predictions? Or say our offense will have to try to keep up with other team's scores.

We've got athletes and team speed on both sides of the ball. I think they will surprise this year.

No, It would keep the prediction the same. That would show glaring weakness in the defense and same outcome. Would rather see good coverage yet some great plays made on offense. Would rather see an O-Line not get completely manhandled every play. Would rather of not seen QB's making horrible decisions with the ball. There could of been a good balance. There was not. The Oline could still improve but it has a ways to go. Reality is you don't want either side to dominate the other and you are looking at the little things. Defense almost always performs better but you are looking for things such as QB decision making, overall team speed, O-Line skill, overall strength, timing of blocks and when to extend, proper angles and footwork. Team Speed looked good, and some real talent was evident, couldn't evaluate the run game as the Oline was unable to open any running lanes and Oline skill was lacking, this forced bad plays and makes what is a good D-Line look unstoppable. Over all the Offense as a unit needs cohesion. It can still happen in fall. All the issues can be coached. Assuming that happens then I would say 8-3. We will see this fall though.

I expect 11-0 every year, but that just doesn't happen. I think 10-1 or 9-2 if the O-line can produce. Same O-line as last year(s) 6-5 or dreadful 5-6. Calhoun will look a lot like Jordan Canada when he gets going this year. Favors is going to breakout! Please somebody block! Yes, I have reserved a room in Frisco Texas...again...Optimism!!!

By fall can we reclaim the intangibles that get us to the next level of play (yes I long for the old days I admit) however this team's overall athletic talent is as good or better (in some cases) than the rest of the bsc (small letters).

That intangible could get us 9-2 :pray:

You are not playing Cal Poly this year so you got that going for ya. Sorry, couldn't resist. I am hoping the Griz have a great year. The conference is better when the Griz do well.

SloStang said:
You are not playing Cal Poly this year so you got that going for ya. Sorry, couldn't resist. I am hoping the Griz have a great year. The conference is better when the Griz do well.

:lol: How is Poly looking SloTang?

Back