• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU AD Chaves to UND

UND has a larger budget than NDSU or the Griz. Much of it doesn t show up on UNDs budget, as 2/3 rds of ticket prices go to the Ralph charitable foundation and aren't accounted for on the UND books.

Montana, MT State, Idaho, and Weber will join the Summit soon. Chaves tried to fundraise for an expanded stadium, as a way to join them, but EWU fans are not capable of grand plans.

So instead of being left behind with the Big Sky dregs, he smartly jumped ship, just like NAU's AD did. There is will be no money when the Big dogs have left the Sky.

UNDfan said:
UND has a larger budget than NDSU or the Griz. Much of it doesn t show up on UNDs budget, as 2/3 rds of ticket prices go to the Ralph charitable foundation and aren't accounted for on the UND books.

Montana, MT State, Idaho, and Weber will join the Summit soon. Chaves tried to fundraise for an expanded stadium, as a way to join them, but EWU fans are not capable of grand plans.

So instead of being left behind with the Big Sky dregs, he smartly jumped ship, just like NAU's AD did. There is will be no money when the Big dogs have left the Sky.

But now he is going to live in North Dakota. That isn't good for anyone.

UNDfan said:

Montana, MT State, Idaho, and Weber will join the Summit soon.Chaves tried to fundraise for an expanded stadium, as a way to join them, but EWU fans are not capable of grand plans.

I hope you are wrong. No offense but if/when a conference reorganization must occur I hope we look West rather than Midwest

UNDfan said:

That seems like a great way to run a public budget.
Reminds me of my old neighbor, Skinny Steve. He only made 25k at his job, and owned no assets, but was worth way more off the books. I believed him. He always had people over.

cmtgrizzly said:
UNDfan said:

Montana, MT State, Idaho, and Weber will join the Summit soon.Chaves tried to fundraise for an expanded stadium, as a way to join them, but EWU fans are not capable of grand plans.

I hope you are wrong. No offense but if/when a conference reorganization must occur I hope we look West rather than Midwest
IPFW, W Illinois, and ORU are as good as gone, so Denver, Omaha and the Dakotas will be waiting with open arms. It just so happens that UND is the glue to keep them together.

CDAGRIZ said:
UNDfan said:

That seems like a great way to run a public budget.
Reminds me of my old neighbor, Skinny Steve. He only made 25k at his job, and owned no assets, but was worth way more off the books. I believed him. He always had people over.

Man Skinny Steve was awesome! Always had what I needed...as long as I had the funds. Come up short though and that’s another story, not for the front of heart on eGriz.

Sometime in the future, somebody will discover a camp Sitting Bull spent time at and they'll use the research of the archaeology department here in Missoula to compare the latrines used by the Souix (Sorry! Can I say that?) to the ones Lewis and Clark had at Traverler's Rest at Lolo Creek...shit analysis will be greatly enhanced keeping the Montana and Dakota schools joined at the hip...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Sometime in the future, somebody will discover a camp Sitting Bull spent time at and they'll use the research of the aarchaeology department here in Missoula to compare the latrines used by the Souix (Sorry! Can I say that?) to the ones Lewis and Clark had at Traverler's Rest at Lolo Creek...shit analysis will be greatly enhanced keeping the Montana and Dakota schools joined at the hip...
Noticed that Griz just love the taste and aroma of bison excrement. At UND we've learned that it makes excellent fertilizer to make money.

UNDfan said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Sometime in the future, somebody will discover a camp Sitting Bull spent time at and they'll use the research of the aarchaeology department here in Missoula to compare the latrines used by the Souix (Sorry! Can I say that?) to the ones Lewis and Clark had at Traverler's Rest at Lolo Creek...shit analysis will be greatly enhanced keeping the Montana and Dakota schools joined at the hip...
Noticed that Griz just love the taste and aroma of bison excrement. At UND we've learned that it makes excellent fertilizer to make money.

Yep. An academic department over here had an outhouse turned into a state park. If anything, both schools are full of academians full of self grandizing bullshit who contribute nothing to research and development. Just a bunch of worthless peer reviewed journal articles so they don't perish.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UNDfan said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Yep. An academic department over here had an outhouse turned into a state park. If anything, both schools are full of academians full of self grandizing bullshit who contribute nothing to research and development. Just a bunch of worthless peer reviewed journal articles so they don't perish.

That might be true, but UND has a respected Medical School and MSU has what...nursing?...cool

UNDfan said:

:?

UNDfan said:

I sorta think UND is the "dregs" of the BSC....sorry. It is a tie between Northern Colorado and und

UNDfan said:
Montana, MT State, Idaho, and Weber will join the Summit soon.
It would be interesting to see what evidence you have of this. With the possible exception of Weber, football is the driver for these programs. Splitting sports across different conferences is not viewed favorably nor would being in a Midwest conference. Much of the BSC is deplorable (Montana's four conf. road games have averaged 878 attendance), but moving BBall to a Midwest conf. does not show obvious benefit to the AD.

grizpack said:
Hogan got fired over $600K that Dennison knew about for years.....
And even that was constructed by Dennison (and labeled a $1MM deficit) to give cause to move Hogan out, who was not in Dennison's control sphere and too ambitious for his taste.

Athletic Director
University of Montana
October 1995 – July 2004 (8 years 10 months)
Hogan’s accomplishments as the University of Montana’s athletic director from 1995 to 2004 were marked by his being named the Division I-AA West Region Athletic Director of the Year in 2003. He also served as president of the I-AA Athletic Directors Association and Chair of the NCAA’s Division I-AA Football Committee in 2004. Hogan’s relationship-building helped the athletic program achieve a 10-fold increase in its private donations, and his marketing acumen helped the school lead the nation in 1-AA football attendance.

kemajic said:
grizpack said:
Hogan got fired over $600K that Dennison knew about for years.....
And even that was constructed by Dennison (and labeled a $1MM deficit) to give cause to move Hogan out, who was not in Dennison's control sphere and too ambitious for his taste.

Athletic Director
University of Montana
October 1995 – July 2004 (8 years 10 months)
Hogan’s accomplishments as the University of Montana’s athletic director from 1995 to 2004 were marked by his being named the Division I-AA West Region Athletic Director of the Year in 2003. He also served as president of the I-AA Athletic Directors Association and Chair of the NCAA’s Division I-AA Football Committee in 2004. Hogan’s relationship-building helped the athletic program achieve a 10-fold increase in its private donations, and his marketing acumen helped the school lead the nation in 1-AA football attendance.

Part of me would rather not think about Wayne right now, but it has to be mentioned that being terminated in Missoula greatly enhanced his career, pensions and got him to where he is now. It worked out very well for the man.

GrizLA said:
UNDfan said:

I sorta think UND is the "dregs" of the BSC....sorry. It is a tie between Northern Colorado and und

For a school that swept the big four spectator Big Sky championships last year, mbb, wbb, fb, and vb, last year and men's hockey is our top sport in attendance, guess your right the UND is a dreg as it shows the other schools how to be competitive. Know that vb isn't a big deal in Missoula because your teams have been really bad and the Griz just don't care, but the vb team actually sold out games in Grand Forks and was nationally ranked.

kemajic said:
UNDfan said:
It would be interesting to see what evidence you have of this. With the possible exception of Weber, football is the driver for these programs. Splitting sports across different conferences is not viewed favorably nor would being in a Midwest conference. Much of the BSC is deplorable (Montana's four conf. road games have averaged 878 attendance), but moving BBall to a Midwest conf. does not show obvious benefit to the AD.

Mbb in the Summit has actually been stronger than the Sky. The schools the Summit will lose are the dregs of that league too. Nobody likes to travel to Montana and Idaho in the winter and same holds for the Dakotas. Birds of feather need to hold together. You new President is smart enough to realize that.

Ever since Idaho lost WAC football, some big plan has been hatched that will form a new FBS league with capable players. Incidentally, the Griz, Cats, and Weber have all FBS ready stadiums and just added new athlete workout facilities, which are a must for FBS.

The MWC idea that some of you fans and NDSU delusionals often talk about isn't of mutual interest to the MWC and is just too expensive. Th Griz have a group of schools that will be like a NW Sun Belt except much higher academics which the Presidents love but their fans are just too profoundly ignorant of it.

UNDfan said:
kemajic said:
UNDfan said:

Mbb in the Summit has actually been stronger than the Sky. The schools the Summit will lose are the dregs of that league too. Nobody likes to travel to Montana and Idaho in the winter and same holds for the Dakotas. Birds of feather need to hold together. You new President is smart enough to realize that.

Ever since Idaho lost WAC football, some big plan has been hatched that will form a new FBS league with capable players. Incidentally, the Griz, Cats, and Weber have all FBS ready stadiums and just added new athlete workout facilities, which are a must for FBS.

The MWC idea that some of you fans and NDSU delusionals often talk about isn't of mutual interest to the MWC and is just too expensive. Th Griz have a group of schools that will be like a NW Sun Belt except much higher academics which the Presidents love but their fans are just too profoundly ignorant of it.

Years ago I listened to relatives who worked in athletics in Bozeman who discussed the scenario you're posting. They felt a conference comprised of the flagship universities of both Dakotas, both Montana schools, both Idaho schools (this was way before the junior college upgraded themselves in Boise), Wyoming, Weber and Utah State could form a decent regional conference. It obviously didn't happen then and I doubt it'll happen within the foreseeable future. North Dakota and Wyoming still has far too much money for the Montana, Idaho and Utah schools to compete with your teams given your ability to provide full cost of attendance to all athletes. If Utah is able to develop some of their resources and manage their funds from them as your state is doing, it's possible although highly unlikely. The Montana politics are simply too fractured to ever be a progressive state again.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UNDfan said:
kemajic said:
UNDfan said:

Years ago I listened to relatives who worked in athletics in Bozeman who discussed the scenario you're posting. They felt a conference comprised of the flagship universities of both Dakotas, both Montana schools, both Idaho schools (this was way before the junior college upgraded themselves in Boise), Wyoming, Weber and Utah State could form a decent regional conference. It obviously didn't happen then and I doubt it'll happen within the foreseeable future. North Dakota and Wyoming still has far too much money for the Montana, Idaho and Utah schools to compete with your teams given your ability to provide full cost of attendance to all athletes. If Utah is able to develop some of their resources and manage their funds from them as your state is doing, it's possible although highly unlikely. The Montana politics are simply too fractured to ever be a progressive state again.
Utah St, Wyoming, and Boise would never stoop to that level unless the MWC completely disintegrated.

Omaha and Denver have serious hockey interests, so UND is an essential partner for them.

The league makes sense on many levels and now just need leaders with balls to pull the trigger. Think this has been in the works for years, ever since UND was invited to the Big Sky.

GRIZ fans think Portland St and Sac St are important, but they have no fan bases. Playing in a higher level league will get more games with Washington St, Washington, Oregon, and Oregon St, which is what your President wants. Portland St gives you a nice outstate venue for Griz fans to congregate as long as the Timber have not pushed the Vikings to Hillsborough HS, but nothing else.

Last year, Idaho, Utah, and South Dakota were the fastest growing states. In North Dakota, the Balkan is gaining traction again. Denver and Omaha has just exploded in job growth.

Regionally, it is much different from 20 years ago. North Dakota law forbids spending state money on athletic venues, which NDSU has complained loudly over the years. UND has major benefactors giving us State of the art venues, so no complaining here. The state has given UND a new med school and many other facilities.

Seattle U is sometimes given as an ideal conference partner for Idaho and Montana, but their interest is in the WCC, which if it offered them they would be gone in an instant. A revised conference needs committed members.

Back