• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coach Decuire

Zirg said:
floridagriz15 said:
Zirg said:
I think we are all in agreement that sports success helps with enrollment. Montana's enrollment has dropped dramatically, which coincides with middling football seasons of late, which nobody seems to mention as the reason. It's all been focused on Krakauer's damning book and the "rape culture", and yeah that has certainly affected a few coed's decision to go to UM, but I think a football National Championship would turn things around quickly. I don't think basketball success affects our enrollment at all really.

My only argument really is what if Montana manages to topple Michigan and then maybe somehow take down Houston. I don't see that as only our Football team making success anymore. We may be a Mid-Major but TD is making moves and I don't know if you've realized the bond between him and his players but is pretty extraordinary. Check out the facebook videos.

Sure, 2 NCAA tourney wins would draw some attention, moreso in recruiting than enrollment though. There are usually only 200 or so students at Griz b-ball games unless its the Bobcats or a league championship game and it will be the same next year. I just don't think there are more than a couple kids out there that would decide to go to Montana to follow the b-ball team. But yeah I'm sure acouple tourney wins could change things. I love TD and believe in what he is building (you don't need to win ME over), but I just don't believe those videos are luring prospective students to come here. I wish I was wrong, but it seems impossible to re-build a rabid Griz basketball fan-base anymore.

Truthfully we lost the girls, and they were what made Griz Basketball. I just don't see it impossible, I guess I'm to much of a die hard but literally one of the Best Griz of all time is Coaching our Women and we all know it takes time, we have Bobby back for Football, and have one of the best Softball programs in the PNW. Not that I want Montana to turn into a UNC or anything like that, I just want to see my school put some schools in their place. Sometimes if the cards line up the Griz can beat anyone no matter the field or their rank. Guys almost did it against Washington and Georgia State. I just have a lot of hope for the future for our U.

Well, another great night's sleep! But before I start reading again, let me state that I suppose we'll all be able to look back on this Thursday as that defining moment as to whether or not Griz basketball has affected student applications to the U of M. And check out Eastern's women basketball team and their roster. Wasn't that long ago Selvig had those type of kids in a Lady Griz uniform.

I'm just going to pick a nit here. Gonzaga's first run in the NCAA Tourney was under Dan Monson's coaching. He was largely responsible for recruiting the team that made the first run, too. He was the head coach through the 98-99 season. That's not to take away anything from Mark Few, obviously, who has done a great job keeping the Gonzaga machine rolling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Monson#Gonzaga

PeauxRouge said:
I'm just going to pick a nit here. Gonzaga's first run in the NCAA Tourney was under Dan Monson's coaching. He was largely responsible for recruiting the team that made the first run, too. He was the head coach through the 98-99 season. That's not to take away anything from Mark Few, obviously, who has done a great job keeping the Gonzaga machine rolling.

I'm not sure what you mean by run but if it refers to Gonzaga's first NCAA tournament appearance Dan Fitzgerald took Gonzaga to its first NCAA tournament in 1995.

Griz1 said:
PeauxRouge said:

I'm not sure what you mean by run but if it refers to Gonzaga's first NCAA tournament appearance Dan Fitzgerald took Gonzaga to its first NCAA tournament in 1995.

I was more addressing where Zirg credited the Monson run to the Elite 8 to Mark Few.

Back