• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coach Decuire

Met with TD before the cat/Griz game. Loved what he had to say. But the one thing he said that made me nervous, “I promised the team last year I would stay for this year. I wanted to make the tournament before I took another job.” Well he made the tournament. And the offers will definitely come.

If he leaves, I hope he goes to the SEC or ACC. Please, not the A10. That's if he leaves.

He could actually build a dynasty here and through his efforts, build a decent mid-major conference. That's leadership. Deferred compensation...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
If he leaves, I hope he goes to the SEC or ACC. Please, not the A10. That's if he leaves.

He could actually build a dynasty here and through his efforts, build a decent mid-major conference. That's leadership. Deferred compensation...
He is a first class coach and has excelled at UM. I hope he stays three or four more years.

Spanky2 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

He is a first class coach and has excelled at UM. I hope he stays three or four more years.
So does everyone. Gonzaga was one year away from shutting down their basketball program (and three years away from several academic programs) Fews second year. If the powers that be don't grasp this correlation..

I don't disagree that TD could garner some serious consideration from a bigger program this off-season, and if the right program (Cal for example) came calling, he'd take it, but I think he has his sights to move on after next year. Next year's Griz team seems capable of really making a splash.

Utah State would surprise me. It's (basically) a Mormon school and I don't think would be a good fit at all. Also I don't think TD would ever take any job out east. All his contacts are in the west and would make more sense to land a job somewhere in his recruiting area.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Spanky2 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

So does everyone. Gonzaga was one year away from shutting down their basketball program (and three years away from several academic programs) Fews second year. If the powers that be don't grasp this correlation..

I've never heard anything about Gonzaga being "one year away from shutting down their basketball program" and don't buy that assertion whatsoever. My bro-in-law is an alum and booster and he doesn't know what you are talking about either. They were in the Elite 8 in 1999 and the Sweet 16 in 2000-Few's first 2 seasons. Gonzaga long ago placed all their chips in basketball and unless the entire WCC abandoned basketball, GU would/was never seriously considering dropping b-ball. That sounds like incredible hyperbole. There is no school in America more reliant on their men's b-ball program for their school's relevance.

Zirg said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Spanky2 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

I've never heard anything about Gonzaga being "one year away from shutting down their basketball program" and don't buy that assertion whatsoever. My bro-in-law is an alum and booster and he doesn't know what you are talking about either. They were in the Elite 8 in 1999 and the Sweet 16 in 2000-Few's first 2 seasons. Gonzaga long ago placed all their chips in basketball and unless the entire WCC abandoned basketball, GU would/was never seriously considering dropping b-ball. That sounds like incredible hyperbole. There is no school in America more reliant on their men's b-ball program for their school's relevance.

Zaga had a deficit of 1 Million+ Dollars in 1998 so yes, they damn near lost their whole fucking school. They lost half their enrollment from 90' to 98' and after their Elite 8 trip in 99' the school enrollment made a comeback because of their basketball team.

floridagriz15 said:
Zirg said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Spanky2 said:

Zaga had a deficit of 1 Million+ Dollars in 1998 so yes, they damn near lost their whole f***[*] school. They lost half their enrollment from 90' to 98' and after their Elite 8 trip in 99' the school enrollment made a comeback because of their basketball team.

Thank you. It was just an article I read some time ago concerning primarily the point you stress florida...but obviously it's not relevant today. Few saved more than the basketball program then would be your position?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
floridagriz15 said:
Zirg said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Zaga had a deficit of 1 Million+ Dollars in 1998 so yes, they damn near lost their whole f***[*] school. They lost half their enrollment from 90' to 98' and after their Elite 8 trip in 99' the school enrollment made a comeback because of their basketball team.

Thank you. It was just an article I read some time ago concerning primarily the point you stress florida...but obviously it's not relevant today. Few saved more than the basketball program then would be your position?

Even this article, although not a credible source I know, mentions the dire conditions of the school the first "few" years of his tenure:

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119205/how-the-basketball-program-helped-gonzaga-university-flourish

And there's others but I'm tired and I've done enough studying for today. GTS

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
floridagriz15 said:
Zirg said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Gonzaga likes to exclude those 8 years from their entire history just because that is embarrassing as hell and so not many really know about it.

I will say this tho, If we really do beat Michigan on Thursday. It might just do the same thing for us. Not that I'm worried about the U. But we will be on the national stage for along time if we pull it off.

Maybe in the years preceding Few the school lost $ (due to declining enrollment), but in 1998 and , certainly 1999 (Few's second year), revenue from the NCAA wins and the ensuing enrollment increase that their basketball teams notoriety brought, nobody was considering shutting basketball down at that point. Getting rid of b-ball would have dropped enrollment even more and possibility been the death-knell of the school. I think the power's-that-be realized that the only way this school can survive is putting everything into basketball, which has paid off. I don't disagree Few saved the program, but I maintain that by his 2nd year the program was not "one year away from shutting down their program" or anywhere close to it. If anything, they realized b-ball was the key to their school's success and focused their resources into it.

floridagriz15 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
floridagriz15 said:
Zirg said:

Gonzaga likes to exclude those 8 years from their entire history just because that is embarrassing as hell and so not many really know about it.

I will say this tho, If we really do beat Michigan on Thursday. It might just do the same thing for us. Not that I'm worried about the U. But we will be on the national stage for along time if we pull it off.

There are many studies showing the effect championship athletic teams have on student applications. The one by ESPN highlighting Gonzaga is only one and as I stated earlier, there are other studies out concerning Gonzaga. In fact, there are some about Gonzaga's effect on the Spokane community. Would be nice if the Griz could get a couple wins this year. This community could certainly use some positive affirmations instead of all this petty squabbling amongst each other.

Zirg said:
Maybe in the years preceding Few the school lost $ (due to declining enrollment), but in 1998 and , certainly 1999 (Few's second year), revenue from the NCAA wins and the ensuing enrollment increase that their basketball teams notoriety brought, nobody was considering shutting basketball down at that point. Getting rid of b-ball would have dropped enrollment even more and possibility been the death-knell of the school. I think the power's-that-be realized that the only way this school can survive is putting everything into basketball, which has paid off. I don't disagree Few saved the program, but I maintain that by his 2nd year the program was not "one year away from shutting down their program" or anywhere close to it. If anything, they realized b-ball was the key to their school's success and focused their resources into it.

Don't take my word for it. Read the article from ESPN (not a sound source I understand) in its entirety.

I think we are all in agreement that sports success helps with enrollment. Montana's enrollment has dropped dramatically, which coincides with middling football seasons of late, which nobody seems to mention as the reason. It's all been focused on Krakauer's damning book and the "rape culture", and yeah that has certainly affected a few coed's decision to go to UM, but I think a football National Championship would turn things around quickly. I don't think basketball success affects our enrollment at all really.

Zirg said:
I think we are all in agreement that sports success helps with enrollment. Montana's enrollment has dropped dramatically, which coincides with middling football seasons of late, which nobody seems to mention as the reason. It's all been focused on Krakauer's damning book and the "rape culture", and yeah that has certainly affected a few coed's decision to go to UM, but I think a football National Championship would turn things around quickly. I don't think basketball success affects our enrollment at all really.

My only argument really is what if Montana manages to topple Michigan and then maybe somehow take down Houston. I don't see that as only our Football team making success anymore. We may be a Mid-Major but TD is making moves and I don't know if you've realized the bond between him and his players but is pretty extraordinary. Check out the facebook videos.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Zirg said:

Don't take my word for it. Read the article from ESPN (not a sound source I understand) in its entirety.

I did read it, and you aren't wrong per se. They "considered" reducing one coach, but never did, and a few faculty wanted to drop D1 sports, but there are faculty on every campus that wishes the school would drop sports. That's why they don't make the big decisions. You are right that the school was in a sorry state, but I still maintain the powers-that-be knew that dropping b-ball would decimate the school even further and was never a serious option.

I guess this year is the most I've ever invested emotionally and physically with the Griz Men so if we can make sprarks fly i'm all for it!

floridagriz15 said:
I guess this year is the most I've ever invested emotionally and physically with the Griz Men so if we can make spanks fly i'm all for it!

It would be nice, that's for certain. And what about Northern Colorado's women? How does that school attract that type of coaching staff many people have asked. Incredible coaches there through the years. It'll be interesting to watch the coaches here the next few years in all the money sports.

floridagriz15 said:
Zirg said:

My only argument really is what if Montana manages to topple Michigan and then maybe somehow take down Houston. I don't see that as only our Football team making success anymore. We may be a Mid-Major but TD is making moves and I don't know if you've realized the bond between him and his players but is pretty extraordinary. Check out the facebook videos.

Sure, 2 NCAA tourney wins would draw some attention, moreso in recruiting than enrollment though. There are usually only 200 or so students at Griz b-ball games unless its the Bobcats or a league championship game and it will be the same next year. I just don't think there are more than a couple kids out there that would decide to go to Montana to follow the b-ball team. But yeah I'm sure acouple tourney wins could change things. I love TD and believe in what he is building (you don't need to win ME over), but I just don't believe those videos are luring prospective students to come here. I wish I was wrong, but it seems impossible to re-build a rabid Griz basketball fan-base anymore.

Back