• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Central Washington to move to FCS?

zootownrox said:
kemajic said:
A 14 team conference would be much simpler than that:
North
UM, MSU, EWU, CWU, UI, PSU, ISU
South
WSU, UNC, SacSt, UCD, CPSLO, USU, NAU

Play in section opponents every year in football (6) and the other conf. games (2 or 3) rotating from the other section. Play in section opponents twice every year in BBall (12) and the other section opponents once (7) for a 19 game schedule.

But they're not going to hand the conf. another autobid just because they separated into two sections. Since there's no way to have a conf. championship game, it would still be a mess to determine the autobid.

Making the autobid straight forward was why I said 2 conferences, but yes it would be just like a 14 team conference. I don't know the politics behind splitting the football conference and getting an autobid but since they are handing out at large bids to the second teams in leagues that didn't even have one autobid a few years ago, it is ridiculous that 13-14 team Big Sky is barely getting 3 teams in each season, so another autobid for the current members seems like a worthwhile pursuit.

There's a good ESPN article online about Damian Lillard getting snubbed for the All Star team. Perceptions about this part of the country probably won't change anytime soon.

Think of what a cluster the WAC became with 16 teams and the residual effect that ultimately produced the Mountain West. Same attitude as seen when the PAC 12 picked up Utah and Colorado and assumed the Texas schools would jump at the opportunity to be aligned with them. We have to quit coming across as being so egotistical.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
There's a good ESPN article online about Damian Lillard getting snubbed for the All Star team. Perceptions about this part of the country probably won't change anytime soon.

We have to quit coming across as being so egotistical.

Maybe he should stop whining and just up his game. HIS ego is hurt, poor spoiled, overpaid NBA player. :cry:
Define "we" and "this part of the country."

tourist said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

We have to quit coming across as being so egotistical.

Maybe he should stop whining and just up his game. HIS ego is hurt, poor spoiled, overpaid NBA player. :cry:
Define "we" and "this part of the country."

Did you read the article? Pro athletes who devote themselves to their sport have a very few years to reap the befefits of their dedication. I'm not jealous of their income.

Read the article and have a good day.

It's time for the conference to split

Big Sky Conference

Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Weber State
Northern Colorado
Eastern Washington

Pacific Coast Conference

Portland State
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona
Central Washington

I would rather have NAU or SUU over UNC but if the two conferences split I am sure they would want to make it as geographically friendly as possible. UNC just wouldn't really work in a conference that is mostly West Coast while there are literally 5 "Mountain State schools" right next to them.

zootownrox said:
kemajic said:
A 14 team conference would be much simpler than that:
North
UM, MSU, EWU, CWU, UI, PSU, ISU
South
WSU, UNC, SacSt, UCD, CPSLO, USU, NAU

Play in section opponents every year in football (6) and the other conf. games (2 or 3) rotating from the other section. Play in section opponents twice every year in BBall (12) and the other section opponents once (7) for a 19 game schedule.

But they're not going to hand the conf. another autobid just because they separated into two sections. Since there's no way to have a conf. championship game, it would still be a mess to determine the autobid.

Making the autobid straight forward was why I said 2 conferences, but yes it would be just like a 14 team conference. I don't know the politics behind splitting the football conference and getting an autobid but since they are handing out at large bids to the second teams in leagues that didn't even have one autobid a few years ago, it is ridiculous that 13-14 team Big Sky is barely getting 3 teams in each season, so another autobid for the current members seems like a worthwhile pursuit.

I think the big sky should petition for a conference championship because that would fix the problems. It could be easily done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
I think the big sky should petition for a conference championship because that would fix the problems. It could be easily done.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/06/ap-fbc-fcs-conference-championship-games

There is no NCAA rule that prohibits an FCS conference that sends its champion to the playoffs from hosting a championship game. Still, under the current schedule, it won't happen because the timing is too tight.

"Based on the existing windows to play football games, having enough weeks to add a conference championship game is a challenge," Big Sky Conference commissioner Andrea Williams said. "Even if the season were extended by a week, conferences would have to evaluate the need for an additional regular-season matchup or possibly look to create a conference postseason championship. In terms of the Big Sky, our focus has been on the regular season and our scheduling format. The conference has not been assessing a potential conference championship game, but I have to imagine the thought would be enticing to some, especially our fans. But we would certainly have to engage our coaches to measure their interest in the concept before heading down that road."

I remain steadfastly hopeful that by the time Central makes this a reality, UM is busy competing for MWC championships.

Back