• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bracketology

IdaGriz01 said:
Sad part is ... the Griz keeping winning, but the Big Sky is so weak, their RPI rank gets worse. They've dropped from #105 a week or so ago, to now be ranked #116. :wtf:

#bsc

IdaGriz01 said:
Sad part is ... the Griz keeping winning, but the Big Sky is so weak, their RPI rank gets worse. They've dropped from #105 a week or so ago, to now be ranked #116. :wtf:

Bad thing is, even when the Sky does well during ooc, once they start beating up on each other during conf season its outside image is it's weak, unlike when the ACC beats up on each other it is viewed as one of the best despite #1s in that conf losing to lower ranked conf teams.

WILDCATFAN said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Bad thing is, even when the Sky does well during ooc, once they start beating up on each other during conf season its outside image is it's weak, unlike when the ACC beats up on each other it is viewed as one of the best despite #1s in that conf losing to lower ranked conf teams.

Kind of the same self-fulfilling prophecy the MVFC has in football....where conferences losses are considered a great loss :roll: :roll:

WILDCATFAN said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Well, had the Griz beaten Penn State, Washington, Santa Barbara, Georgia State (all teams that the Griz were leading in the second half) Stanford, the RPI would be pretty good. Alas..............

We need the top Big Sky teams to keep winning, especially since we've mostly played teams at the bottom of the conference.

grizband said:
We need the top Big Sky teams to keep winning, especially since we've mostly played teams at the bottom of the conference.

Exactly (especially since the regular season crown doesn't mean as much anymore). PSU is a good example of not doing the Griz (or BSC) any favors. I think they were in the 80s for RPI towards the end of nonconference. Now, one site currently has them at 148. Despite beating Utah State, Stanford, and Cal, as well as hanging tough with Duke, Butler, and Oregon, they've been swept by Sac State (who has an RPI of 263 on the same site). I wonder what PSU's RPI would be if they were 17-4 overall and 7-1 in conference (lone loss to the Griz), instead of (13-8, 3-5 BSC).

I remember one year when the selection committee was talking about their process and they mentioned top 100 RPI wins and sub-150 losses. Doesn't look like anyone in the conference is going to help in that regard.

GrizLA said:
WILDCATFAN said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Well, had the Griz beaten Penn State, Washington, Santa Barbara, Georgia State (all teams that the Griz were leading in the second half) Stanford, the RPI would be pretty good. Alas..............

Hell even TWO of those would look really good right about now.

Quick question. Assuming the Griz win the conference with a 0 or 1 loss conference record but lose in the BSC Tournament, is their record and overall body of work sufficient to garner a second BSC bid?

I don't know and do think its probably doubtful, but I do think the committee would have to give it serious consideration.

Gaeilge1 said:
Quick question. Assuming the Griz win the conference with a 0 or 1 loss conference record but lose in the BSC Tournament, is their record and overall body of work sufficient to garner a second BSC bid?

I don't know and do think its probably doubtful, but I do think the committee would have to give it serious consideration.

Nope, and no serious consideration, either. If we went undefeated the whole year and lost in the conference tourney, then maybe. Otherwise, no chance.

PeauxRouge said:
Gaeilge1 said:

Nope, and no serious consideration, either. If we went undefeated the whole year and lost in the conference tourney, then maybe. Otherwise, no chance.
Winning the regular season guarantees an NIT berth .. and that's it. As of now, the Big Sky is ranked #20 in overall RPI. That means, as far back as I can find records, that it will be a one-bid conference, period.

IdaGriz01 said:
PeauxRouge said:
Gaeilge1 said:

Winning the regular season guarantees an NIT berth .. and that's it. As of now, the Big Sky is ranked #20 in overall RPI. That means, as far back as I can find records, that it will be a one-bid conference, period.

Yep. I'm just saying that if these griz had won every single game this year, but lost in the conference tourney, then and only then would we get a sniff of an at large. Even then, not a lock.

PeauxRouge said:
IdaGriz01 said:
PeauxRouge said:
Gaeilge1 said:

Yep. I'm just saying that if these griz had won every single game this year, but lost in the conference tourney, then and only then would we get a sniff of an at large. Even then, not a lock.
Agreed. I'd also add, in that scenario that they would need to lose in some ridiculous fashion in the conference tourney chipper - like a half-court 3 by the opposing team or something.

Boy I dunno. I think it would be awfully difficult to leave out a 28-1 team with wins over Washington, Stanford, Pitt, Penn State, UCSB, and even Irvine and ORU even though they're having down years.

I truly think that Griz team would get in, maybe as one of the "last four" as a 12 seed having to play a first round game. The committee wouldn't like it, and they'd likely punish the other bsc entry and make them a 16 first round team, but I think they would grit their teeth and select two bsc teams.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
PeauxRouge said:
... Yep. I'm just saying that if these griz had won every single game this year, but lost in the conference tourney, then and only then would we get a sniff of an at large. Even then, not a lock.
Agreed. I'd also add, in that scenario that they would need to lose in some ridiculous fashion in the conference tourney chipper - like a half-court 3 by the opposing team or something.
I see where you guys are coming from ... and you could be right, if such a wild scenario played out. (Of course, with five losses for the Griz already, that won't happen.)

Also ... my impression is that the committees loves having the NIT auto-bids available. That way they can throw a raggedy bone to teams that have great records in the weak conferences but get bumped without an NCAA bid.

Last year, Illinois State ended up 27-6 after losing in the second round of the Missouri Valley tournament. Their RPI rank was #32 and BPI #58 … but all those wins and their strong rankings still only got them an NIT auto-bid.

Same thing happened to Saint Mary’s for the 2015-2016 season. They beat Gonzaga in both of their regular-season meetings, so they were the regular-season champion. But they lost to the Zags in the conference tournament. At that point, they were 27-5 and you’d think they would have earned a try to the Big Dance. Nope. Off they went to the NIT.

You can go back over the years and find teams that had 27-28 wins but got bumped in their tourneys, and still didn't get an NCAA at-large berth. The committee clearly prefers to "reward" the 6th or 7th place team in a power conference over a team that has one off game in a "have-not" conference championship.

EverettGriz said:
Boy I dunno. I think it would be awfully difficult to leave out a 28-1 team with wins over Washington, Stanford, Pitt, Penn State, UCSB, and even Irvine and ORU even though they're having down years.

I truly think that Griz team would get in, maybe as one of the "last four" as a 12 seed having to play a first round game. The committee wouldn't like it, and they'd likely punish the other bsc entry and make them a 16 first round team, but I think they would grit their teeth and select two bsc teams.
As cynical as I am about NCAA selection committee/process, I'd have to agree that your scenario would force them to make the Big Sky a two-bid conference. Of course, if the Griz did have all those wins over quality OOC teams, they would have great numbers for RPI, BPI and SOS. And in the process, they'd lift the conference rankings ... at least some.

IdaGriz01 said:
... You can go back over the years and find teams that had 27-28 wins but got bumped in their tourneys, and still didn't get an NCAA at-large berth. The committee clearly prefers to "reward" the 6th or 7th place team in a power conference over a team that has one off game in a "have-not" conference championship.
Actually, I gave the committee too much credit on this one. Last year the ACC got nine bids (out of 15 teams in the conference). Wake Forest -- which was 9-9 in conference (10th) and came out of their tournament with a 19-13 record -- ended up with an 11 seed.

Contrast that with Monmouth, which won 27 games and took South Carolina (an eventual 7 seed in the Big Dance) into overtime before losing by a point on the road. They went to the NIT. Yes, their rankings were not up to those for Wake … but, C’mon!

IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
... You can go back over the years and find teams that had 27-28 wins but got bumped in their tourneys, and still didn't get an NCAA at-large berth. The committee clearly prefers to "reward" the 6th or 7th place team in a power conference over a team that has one off game in a "have-not" conference championship.
Actually, I gave the committee too much credit on this one. Last year the ACC got nine bids (out of 15 teams in the conference). Wake Forest -- which was 9-9 in conference (10th) and came out of their tournament with a 19-13 record -- ended up with an 11 seed.

Contrast that with Monmouth, which won 27 games and took South Carolina (an eventual 7 seed in the Big Dance) into overtime before losing by a point on the road. They went to the NIT. Yes, their rankings were not up to those for Wake … but, C’mon!

Yeah, it's ridiculous. And what people love about the tournament are the mid majors winning games. I won't even watch an 8-9 match up of two P5 teams who both finished barely above .500.

Zirg said:
Akoh and Kryslovic will be eaten alive by any legit top 25 team. What does it matter who we play, IF we get in the tourney? It's a huge league (12 teams), and the tourney is at a neutral site, so the Griz are always gonna be long-shots to get the chance to get smoked by a team with a legit D-1 Center and PF even if we get the #1 seed. You guys are all dreaming. Just enjoy this team, which is fun to watch, but don't be stupid. Kryslovic will be THE worst starter of any NCAA team IF we make the tourney.

You must not value defense very much if you think Krslovic would be "the worst" starter of any NCAA team in the tournament. He's a hell of a defender and has been since he was a freshman. Players like Wiley and Bolomboy (who I consider to be legit D1 post players considering they're in the NBA) didn't own Krslovic. In fact his freshman year here in Missoula Krslovic bothered the hell out of Bolomboy with his defense forcing him into poor shots and many turnovers.

Krslovic has been very impressive on defense again this year too. How many times has he basically forced another player into dribbling it out of bounds on he baseline or while trapping up near halfcourt caused a turnover? Many many times.

I'd go as far as to say if the Griz get in to the NCAA tournament Krslovic will be one of the best big men defenders among mid major teams in the tournament.

AZGrizFan said:
WILDCATFAN said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Kind of the same self-fulfilling prophecy the MVFC has in football....where conferences losses are considered a great loss :roll: :roll:

Exactly

Latest posts

Back