• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bozeman State Bobcats Scouting Report

BWahlberg said:
Offense points scored Montana (36.2 vs 24.7)
Defense points allowed Bobcats (25.7 vs 28.8)
Turnover margin Montana – UM is -1 while MSU is -2
Fieldgoal % Montana – .86 for Montana / .40 for UNC
Punt Returns Montana (7.4 YPR vs 4.4 YPR)
Kick Returns Montana (17.3 for UM vs 16.8 for MSU)
T.O.P. Bobcats (28:03 for UM vs 28:55 for MSU)
Red Zone defense (touchdowns) Bobcats (UM 56% / MSU 51% )
Red Zone offense (touchdowns) Montana (scores 64% while MSU scores 56%)
3rd down offense Bobcats (converts 45% of the time and 41% for Montana)
3rd down defense Montana (UM 38% / MSU 50%)

Montana adds 7 while the Bobcats add 4 to bring the total to Montana 10 – Bobcats 7.
---------------------

:? :?

THANK YOU AGAIN BRINT! These reports I look forward to before every game. I know they take a lot of your time. Can't go into a game without these reports.

THANK YOU AGAIN for making this part of a Griz Nation experience one of the best in the country!

Go Griz!

Three things I like about this years Griz team vs Last years.
1. Gresch
2. Mr Lee ( was a dude last week and compliments Calhoun nicely)
3. O-line has improved!

This does not guarantee a win vs cats, but it does make me feel better.

Mavman said:
Three things I like about this years Griz team vs Last years.
1. Gresch
2. Mr Lee ( was a dude last week and compliments Calhoun nicely)
3. O-line has improved!

This does not guarantee a win vs cats, but it does make me feel better.

Let me add a couple more:

4) David Shaw
5) Jesse Sims

BOTH dudes in the middle that will make a huge difference this year.

And for good measure:

6) Chris Favroso
7) Tucker Schye
8) Randy Rodriguez

Me thinks the 'scat O-line and Mr. Murray are in for a long day.

One more thing Griz please get out to a very fast start I only get to watch the first half. Would love to leave knowing Griz are up 3 scores :D

great write-up brint, thanks.

most concerning to me going in is our pass rush. or lack thereof. we simply MUST find a way to pressure your qb or we're in for a long day. our linebackers are tough and our secondary I thought have over-achieved this year. but man do I miss the days of the cats having a dominant pass rush.

turnovers will be the name of the game which is often the case.

A lot of Cat fans seem to be pretty confident in a win based on last years performance, that somehow Gregorak knows exactly what Stitt is thinking. Blah blah blah.

We all know the Griz will have their hands full, but this is a very different team than last years team, and I think they are in a very different place mentally this year. I like that we are on the road in this one and like our chances. I think Cat fans are putting way to much stock in last years win.

Whether they are up early or down early, they need to play a full 60 minutes. The Cats have been resilient all year when they get down early.

I don’t think Jesse Sims is getting enough love for his play this year. When I go back and watch replays of the game, Jesse isn’t just winning his matchup at the L.O.S. consistently, he’s manhandling offensive lineman ( many of them older, more seasoned players). If anyone needs a griz fix while waiting this week, turn on any game from the second half of this season and watch 49 abuse people...part of the reason Strahm has stayed clean and stacked up huge numbers recently

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Offense points scored Montana (36.2 vs 24.7)
Defense points allowed Bobcats (25.7 vs 28.8)
Turnover margin Montana – UM is -1 while MSU is -2
Fieldgoal % Montana – .86 for Montana / .40 for UNC
Punt Returns Montana (7.4 YPR vs 4.4 YPR)
Kick Returns Montana (17.3 for UM vs 16.8 for MSU)
T.O.P. Bobcats (28:03 for UM vs 28:55 for MSU)
Red Zone defense (touchdowns) Bobcats (UM 56% / MSU 51% )
Red Zone offense (touchdowns) Montana (scores 64% while MSU scores 56%)
3rd down offense Bobcats (converts 45% of the time and 41% for Montana)
3rd down defense Montana (UM 38% / MSU 50%)

Montana adds 7 while the Bobcats add 4 to bring the total to Montana 10 – Bobcats 7.
---------------------

:? :?

Whoops, I keep a template and usually manage to miss one or two updates

One.Cool.Customer said:
I don’t think Jesse Sims is getting enough love for his play this year. When I go back and watch replays of the game, Jesse isn’t just winning his matchup at the L.O.S. consistently, he’s manhandling offensive lineman ( many of them older, more seasoned players). If anyone needs a griz fix while waiting this week, turn on any game from the second half of this season and watch 49 abuse people...part of the reason Strahm has stayed clean and stacked up huge numbers recently

You are absolutely correct. Same with David Shaw. Those two are just bull dozing people and taking on double teams and sometimes even winning those.

One.Cool.Customer said:

Hence my post above...

AZGrizFan said:

4) David Shaw
5) Jesse Sims

And for good measure:

6) Chris Favroso
7) Tucker Schye
8) Randy Rodriguez

AZGrizFan said:
One.Cool.Customer said:

Hence my post above...

AZGrizFan said:

4) David Shaw
5) Jesse Sims

And for good measure:

6) Chris Favroso
7) Tucker Schye
8) Randy Rodriguez

Definitely...just expanding on one aspect of your post! Go Griz

garizzalies said:
Sims will get #37 next year. Tucker will keep it on the Dline. Wish I could put money on it

And he would certainly deserve it considering he decided to stay home when he could have gone to the PAC-12, among other reasons. :thumb:

Finally a thread to talk football. I don't like smack talk, not my bag.

One thing I noticed is that last year's Griz team was nearly identical in rush defense, if not slightly better. We all know how well the Cats ran the ball last year so I won't mention the stats, but this year the Cats are the 10th best rushing team in the country, and when you look at YPC we are 6th, average 5.7 YPC, meaning we are better at running the ball than we were last year. Granted a further inspection shows that we've only faced 3 good rush defenses - Wazzu, Weber State, who held us to about 30 yards below our current season average, and Kennesaw State, where we only got 163 against the #12 rush defense in the county, but did rush above their current average of 96 yards per game. They killed us in TOP, but also held us to just 4.9 YPC. We ran just 51 plays.

The Cats have the 13th best 3rd down conversion % in the county as well, but it's all predicated on getting into 3rd and shorts. Montana is 69th in 3rd down defense but just 110th in first down defense. If the Cats do get into 3rd and shorts, that's a battle MSU is likely to win. Advantage Cats.

However, UM is 19th in first down offense. Choate said in the press conference, you gotta stop UM on first down. Bad news is MSU is 113th in first down defense. So likewise, advantage Griz.

Interesting stat, both MSU and UM give up 5.44 yards per play. The Griz defense has been on the field for 34 more plays all season, which is 3.4 per game.

It's going to come down to which team makes the most plays, which unfortunately the Cats just haven't done this year, hence why we keep losing close games. When we desperately need a first down, a stop, or a turnover, we just don't get it. In fact we seem more likely to get a stupid penalty that either kills a promising drive, or extends an opponents.

garizzalies said:
Sims will get #37 next year. Tucker will keep it on the Dline. Wish I could put money on it

Completely agree...just feels right on every level. May never stuff the stat sheet at DT, (curious if they bump him outside more in the next two years...talk about a bull rush ) but the grunt work he does epitomizes the 37

* I would not move him outside, as his ability to get pressure up the middle, and defeat double teams creates havoc for opposing offenses, and he’s only going to get stronger, with better technique!

CatzWillRise said:

One thing I noticed is that last year's Griz team was nearly identical in rush defense, if not slightly better.
We all know how well the Cats ran the ball so I won't mention the stats, but this year the Cats are the 10th best rushing team in the country, and when you look at YPC we are 6th, average 5.7 YPC, meaning we are better at running the ball than we were last year. Granted a further inspection shows that we've only faced 3 good rush defenses - Wazzu, Weber State, who held us to about 30 yards below our current season average, and Kennesaw State, where we only got 163 against the #12 rush defense in the county, but did rush above their current average of 96 yards per game. They killed us in TOP, but also held us to just 4.9 YPC. We ran just 51 plays.

The Cats have the 13th best 3rd down conversion % in the county as well, but it's all predicated on getting into 3rd and shorts. Montana is 69th in 3rd down defense. If the Cats do get into 3rd and shorts, that's a battle MSU is likely to win. Montana is 110th in first down defense. Advantage Cats.

However, UM is 19th in first down offense. Choate said in the press conference, you gotta stop UM on first down. Bad news is MSU is 113th in first down defense. So likewise, advantage Griz.

Interesting stat, both MSU and UM give up 5.44 yards per play. The Griz defense has been on the field for 34 more plays all season, which is 3.4 per game.
:shock:

CatzWillRise said:

One thing I noticed is that last year's Griz team was nearly identical in rush defense, if not slightly better. We all know how well the Cats ran the ball last year so I won't mention the stats, but this year the Cats are the 10th best rushing team in the country, and when you look at YPC we are 6th, average 5.7 YPC, meaning we are better at running the ball than we were last year. Granted a further inspection shows that we've only faced 3 good rush defenses - Wazzu, Weber State, who held us to about 30 yards below our current season average, and Kennesaw State, where we only got 163 against the #12 rush defense in the county, but did rush above their current average of 96 yards per game. They killed us in TOP, but also held us to just 4.9 YPC. We ran just 51 plays.

The Cats have the 13th best 3rd down conversion % in the county as well, but it's all predicated on getting into 3rd and shorts. Montana is 69th in 3rd down defense but just 110th in first down defense. If the Cats do get into 3rd and shorts, that's a battle MSU is likely to win. Advantage Cats.

It's going to come down to which team makes the most plays, which unfortunately the Cats just haven't done this year, hence why we keep losing close games. When we desperately need a first down, a stop, or a turnover, we just don't get it. In fact we seem more likely to get a stupid penalty that either kills a promising drive, or extends an opponents.

Good stuff Catz, I’m no smack talker either. I’m much more ‘bearish’ on this game than most griz fans. As a pressure defense, when the first wave doesn’t get home, there will be space for Murray. Even though Buss can match Murray’s athleticism, he will get his. IMO second reaction/offscript plays will determine the game, both for Murray and Gresch. I expect a tight game that goes deep into the 4th.

One.Cool.Customer said:

This. Coming along great for a sophomore. He's settling in and quietly doing his job allowing others to make some big plays. Great kid too. You will see him help an old lady across the street, pick up trash someone left behind, hold a door for a group of elementary kids and then go to the weight room and dominate most everyone. Hard worker. Great values. Stitt calls him a "quiet storm."

Back