• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bottom line

Coach said:
putter said:
Look at all the comments about the first two games attendance. Things like 22,000 for the opener? Where are all the Griz fans? You can blame it on the competition but I think you are seeing the beginnings of Griz nation pushing back against very high ticket prices and falling off the national radar as a football FCS power.

You hit the nail on the head.

My family has not and will not be attending any games this season. This on the field product is not worth paying for and it is not about the costs involved.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan47 said:
AZ, you missed my point or maybe I didn't state it very well. I/we have endured many losses over the last 25 years. And I have always been a fan. It is not the loss, it the way we lose. Meltdowns and excuses are getting a little thin. If this had been a shootout I would not say a word. I am seriously starting to question the Stitt system and coaching. Is it the coaching or the lack of talent? We had the same kids playing the second half as we did the second. All teams deal with injuries and I have read that EWU's line was in tatters this game. 42 points in a half is a travesty. It has nothing to do with entitlement.

Why does it matter HOW we lose? Either you're a fan or you're not a fan. But complaining about the travel and feeling like you're not willing to do it because suddenly winning isn't "assured" like it was during the BH years smacks of being a fair weather fan. At the end of the day, only YOU know if that assessment fits you or not.

I assess that it doesn't fit me. You clearly have not driven hundreds of miles or crossed winter passes in whiteout conditions just to watch a football game. And then turn around and drive that same pass at night getting home in the early morning hours. I have done that for twenty years. I don't think fair weather fan apply. Maybe "upset" fan, "disgruntled fan", "disappointed fan" would apply. Assured wins are not mandatory. But I do expect more out of this staff. Note I am not blaming kids. I think we have talent and they are playing hard. I am beginning to question this staff, or members of it. I am a fan of the Grizzlies and that is not tied to any one person that may coach them for a period of time. Coaches come and go, the Griz will always be in my heart.

Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
AZGrizFan said:
A fan base that feels entitled to a victory because of how far they traveled isn't a fan base at all.

I don't think it is being entitled to a victory. I remember OOC tickets being $15, now they are $35 with homecoming and the Cats being $60 or more. E-Griz alone raised about $250K for the Champions Center so fans have stepped up and have ownership in the success of this program and these fans like a winning program. I remember losing to Delaware in '93 and fans were upset but they were energized because Montana was starting to become a constant playoff program and relavant on the national scene. We have now done a 180 and are non-ranked and a middle of the pack Big Sky program yet paying for an NDSU type of program. This will always cause discontent.

I like a winning program too. I donate thousands of dollars specifically to the athletic department and its facilities each year (yes, through the eGriz drive that Brint set up) and I don't even have the OPTION of buying season tickets. I root from afar and am jealous for those who are able to make it to every game--no matter the cost (thats also why I don't get misssing the entire 3rd quarter to do something you can do 365 days a year).

Money doesn't guarantee winning. Facilities don't guarantee winning. Prior years of winning doesn't guarantee winning. Before people are ready to throw out the baby with the bath water I'd only ask they wait to see how the season plays out. One game does not a season make.

By the way: I DO make the long trek to Lubbock, TX each weekend for the Tech home games. 394 miles each way. Rain or shine. Win or lose. And I sit in the stand and don't miss a play. My season tickets (2 seats w/parking) cost over $1900 for 6 games. I haven't missed a home game in three years. Have also attended games in Dallas (twice) and Houston (once). Last year we were 4-7 and this year the stadium is still filled to capacity. FANS. And I don't hear anybody bitch about how far they drive.

It’s a mystery to me why everyone doesn’t emulate a paragon like you. If everyone would only devote so much time and money to idiotic trivialities like sports, the world would be so much better. But won’t it ruin it for you when some guy takes a knee during the anthem and intoduces something of substance? I just don’t think you’ll be able to handle such an intrusion into your tiny world.

Beauty of it is I don't have to worry about that drivel in Texas. Instead, spontaneous chants of "USA, USA, USA" break out.

grizfan47 said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan47 said:
AZ, you missed my point or maybe I didn't state it very well. I/we have endured many losses over the last 25 years. And I have always been a fan. It is not the loss, it the way we lose. Meltdowns and excuses are getting a little thin. If this had been a shootout I would not say a word. I am seriously starting to question the Stitt system and coaching. Is it the coaching or the lack of talent? We had the same kids playing the second half as we did the second. All teams deal with injuries and I have read that EWU's line was in tatters this game. 42 points in a half is a travesty. It has nothing to do with entitlement.

Why does it matter HOW we lose? Either you're a fan or you're not a fan. But complaining about the travel and feeling like you're not willing to do it because suddenly winning isn't "assured" like it was during the BH years smacks of being a fair weather fan. At the end of the day, only YOU know if that assessment fits you or not.

I assess that it doesn't fit me. You clearly have not driven hundreds of miles or crossed winter passes in whiteout conditions just to watch a football game. And then turn around and drive that same pass at night getting home in the early morning hours. I have done that for twenty years. I don't think fair weather fan apply. Maybe "upset" fan, "disgruntled fan", "disappointed fan" would apply. Assured wins are not mandatory. But I do expect more out of this staff. Note I am not blaming kids. I think we have talent and they are playing hard. I am beginning to question this staff, or members of it. I am a fan of the Grizzlies and that is not tied to any one person that may coach them for a period of time. Coaches come and go, the Griz will always be in my heart.

Read my very next post after the one you quoted.

AZGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
I don't think it is being entitled to a victory. I remember OOC tickets being $15, now they are $35 with homecoming and the Cats being $60 or more. E-Griz alone raised about $250K for the Champions Center so fans have stepped up and have ownership in the success of this program and these fans like a winning program. I remember losing to Delaware in '93 and fans were upset but they were energized because Montana was starting to become a constant playoff program and relavant on the national scene. We have now done a 180 and are non-ranked and a middle of the pack Big Sky program yet paying for an NDSU type of program. This will always cause discontent.

I like a winning program too. I donate thousands of dollars specifically to the athletic department and its facilities each year (yes, through the eGriz drive that Brint set up) and I don't even have the OPTION of buying season tickets. I root from afar and am jealous for those who are able to make it to every game--no matter the cost (thats also why I don't get misssing the entire 3rd quarter to do something you can do 365 days a year).

Money doesn't guarantee winning. Facilities don't guarantee winning. Prior years of winning doesn't guarantee winning. Before people are ready to throw out the baby with the bath water I'd only ask they wait to see how the season plays out. One game does not a season make.

By the way: I DO make the long trek to Lubbock, TX each weekend for the Tech home games. 394 miles each way. Rain or shine. Win or lose. And I sit in the stand and don't miss a play. My season tickets (2 seats w/parking) cost over $1900 for 6 games. I haven't missed a home game in three years. Have also attended games in Dallas (twice) and Houston (once). Last year we were 4-7 and this year the stadium is still filled to capacity. FANS. And I don't hear anybody bitch about how far they drive.

It’s a mystery to me why everyone doesn’t emulate a paragon like you. If everyone would only devote so much time and money to idiotic trivialities like sports, the world would be so much better. But won’t it ruin it for you when some guy takes a knee during the anthem and intoduces something of substance? I just don’t think you’ll be able to handle such an intrusion into your tiny world.

Beauty of it is I don't have to worry about that drivel in Texas. Instead, spontaneous chants of "USA, USA, USA" break out.

Allow me to correct you. You meant bleats, not chants.

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan47 said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan47 said:

Read my very next post after the one you quoted.

LOL, okay, point taken. I guess I am just a bitchy fan that hates driving home late at night wondering why I do this when I could have just sat in my recliner. May I add, my age is making time fly by, I have actually been making that drive for 40 years. It is hell to get old. I have been supporting Stitt and actually defended him many times asking a very verbal friend to give this team 4 games before he gives up. Then we would reevaluate the situation. I expected more and this last loss was painful. I have not given up yet but my confidence is waning. I hate to start over with another coach but I fear this staff may not be up to the task. I hope I am wrong.

Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:

Nor do I have to put up with drivel like YOU in Texas either. It's a win/win.

putter said:
So AZ, I ask this question with no smack intended. Are you saying to be a true fan one has to have apathy? You can't be disappointed to pay $1900 for a 4-7 program? I don't think people are fully deserting the Griz, just disappointed at how the program had fallen. Fans of all types vote with their pocketbooks just like Main Hall took advantage of the growing popularity and success of Griz football and continued to raise prices.

Apathy? Hell no....Being disappointed is one thing. I'M disappointed. But sounding entitled, complaining about how much work YOU had to put into just getting to the game and drinking, sounding like you EXPECT to be repaid with a win, and blasting the team, coaches and program when they fail? Sorry, but I don't think that makes for a good fan. I think the issues with this team and program were much deeper and more impactful than most people either realized or were willing to admit...there was some significant dysfunction in that locker room, and Haslam forcing Stitt to keep Gregorak the first year exacerbated things and set the entire team back. In fact, he's as much as admitted that privately to trusted sources, and for that reason alone I believe Stitt deserves one more year (and I believe Haslam will give it to him unless the season totally unravels...

And to answer your question about the 4-7 season, I was certainly disappointed, but I fully admit I'm a "glass-half-full" kind of guy (at least when it comes to the football teams i root for, lol)...always looking at the returning talent, up and comers, and expecting the best...and so far with Texas Tech this year I've been rewarded with a 3-0 start...oh, and don't think there weren't lots of people calling for Kliff Kingsbury's head last year after going from 7-6 and a bowl game to 4-7 in his 4th year...

AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
AZGrizFan said:
A fan base that feels entitled to a victory because of how far they traveled isn't a fan base at all.

Wait a second. You have 2 teams, and are lecturing people on how to be a FAN?

G-BEARS said:
AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
AZGrizFan said:

Wait a second. You have 2 teams, and are lecturing people on how to be a FAN?
Lol. My kids both go to Tech and my daughter is on the National championship Pom Squad and performs at every game so, yes, I have two teams. Usually end up having to watch a recorded version of Griz games when I get back to San Antonio on Sunday nights....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan said:
You have no idea... :egriz: How many games have you attended the last 20 years??

The fact of the matter is fans always have and always will range on the spectrum from fair weather/apathetic to die hard, and every kind in between. The majority is in the middle somewhere. Most people spend their hard earned money not to support the team, but rather for entertainment and enjoyment. When those two things go away, so will the dollars. People have endless choices on where to spend their money and will almost always spend it where they feel most fulfilled.

That is why a winning program and tradition is so important. People feel fulfilled and entertained when their team is mostly winning, or at least highly competitive. They feel they are part of that winning team. When that no longer happens, they'll spend money somewhere that does. Die hard money will always be the base of the program, but all the other support that winning brings is what builds things like Wa-Griz, the Champions Center, etc., to its current state. You NEED fair weather fans. Embrace them and quit putting yourselves on pedestals for how much of a die hard you are.

So bottom line, UM's program needs to regain that ultra competitive edge or its fall is a potentially long and hard one as what is in place now can't be sustained without the support.

rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
You have no idea... :egriz: How many games have you attended the last 20 years??

Read the thread, then get back to me. I'm not repeating myself to account for your laziness.

AZGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Read the thread, then get back to me. I'm not repeating myself to account for your laziness.
I did. You have a Big, Fat mouth.(customary of most Texans) Merely a keyboard fan in Texas. You don't have a finger on the pulse on what is going on right now. We're not far from imploding...I know you have a problem with me so read some of Putter's posts asshat... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I did. You have a Big, Fat mouth.(customary of most Texans) Merely a keyboard fan in Texas. You don't have a finger on the pulse on what is going on right now. We're not far from imploding...I know you have a problem with me so read some of Putter's posts asshat... :egriz:

Feel free to implode then, snowflake. If your own self worth (or any other fan's, for that matter) is tied so closely to the team's performance, you've got bigger things to worry about. And FYI, I merely live and work in Texas. I'm a born and raised Montanan who makes an effort to get back to Missoula for at least one game a year--and I don't bitch about the cost or effort either. :thumb:

rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Easy now.....

Grizzly96 said:
rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:

Easy now.....
:lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:

Nor do I have to put up with drivel like YOU in Texas either. It's a win/win.

AZ don't waste your time...

I travel from Seattle. I'll only miss one home game and one road game the remainder of the year.

Oh, and if you're selling tickets, I know plenty of people looking.

Back