• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bob Stitt has Earned a New Contract

PlayerRep said:
One.Cool.Customer said:
EverettGriz said:
Anyone who cannot see the sharp upward trend line of this team either:

(a) has an agenda
or
(b) never played the game.

Kent’s got the pen ready.

Well stated. Wasnt high on Stitt when he was hired, had the obvious frustrations most have had these first 3 years, but there is no doubt about the improvements on and off the field.

Give him 3 more years. Let’s see what happens with a roster full of his own recruits, a seasoned and more experienced qb in Jenson, an evolving offensive scheme, and there will be no doubt after 2020

Go Griz

Stitt already has 80 or 85 of his recruits (based on ready that only about 18 prior recruits remained at the start of the season). He has his QB (Jensen and Phillips). He has all of his own receivers, I believe. Not H-backs but I hope you have any issues with Horner or Simis. What Are you serious that you would give him till 2020 to be running all cylinders? That’s 6 years.

Are you saying that UM, under Stitt, has improved on and off the field? Delaney’s last 2 teams were ranked nos. 12 and 8. What has improved off the field since Delaney?

tbf I'm pretty sure much of that has to do with the classes he had. It's no secret that Delaney's recruiting classes weren't the best. If you had to have an arrow pointing up/down for the Griz, do you think the arrow was pointing up or down when Delaney left?

Personally, I think the arrow was pointing down big time and I think under Stitt we have turned that down arrow into an up arrow these last 2 years.

kemajic said:
mtgrizfankb said:
The reason we went to Stitt instead of someone else is because we wanted a coach that was young and up and coming. Someone we could have for a long time as long as we create the right environment. Unless we fell apart this year I thought Stitt was safe. Here we are...hopefully 8-3 going to the playoffs . Stitt has the team building, players like the staff, I think a extension is here without an issue
Stitt is 53. I can agree, but what if we are 7-4, once again losing to an MSU team with a losing record, and not in the playoffs? Then I believe the extension is an issue and a tough decision for an AD.

So the boys should lose to the cats so the team can get a new coach fot you to complain about? Sounds weird to me but if you are happy.....never mind FTC and sorry you can bitch

BigPapa406 said:
kemajic said:
mtgrizfankb said:
The reason we went to Stitt instead of someone else is because we wanted a coach that was young and up and coming. Someone we could have for a long time as long as we create the right environment. Unless we fell apart this year I thought Stitt was safe. Here we are...hopefully 8-3 going to the playoffs . Stitt has the team building, players like the staff, I think a extension is here without an issue
Stitt is 53. I can agree, but what if we are 7-4, once again losing to an MSU team with a losing record, and not in the playoffs? Then I believe the extension is an issue and a tough decision for an AD.

So the boys should lose to the cats so the team can get a new coach fot you to complain about? Sounds weird to me but if you are happy.....never mind FTC and sorry you can bitch
Huh?

Put me down for the extension if he beats the kitties and explains why on kickoffs it only goes to the 10, every time.

AZGrizFan said:
Eriul said:
Personally I am all for extending him regardless of this weekend. 3 years if he wins this weekend and somewhat playoff success. I would give him 1-2 if he loses this week depending on how badly.

It is no secret that our team is trending in the right direction. All without our starting QB and now we're rolling with a freshman QB that was supposed to be the backup and he's looking poised to be the future and break some career records here.

I think changing coaches now would be devastating. No need for another rebuilding phase. We are finally reaping the rewards of the last one. The arrow on the Griz is very green and has no indication of slowing down unless we make drastic changes.

Agreed.
I agree also, we are not there yet but if you can't see the improvement then you wouldn't keep stitt no matter what. We not only have a young team but a fairly young staff overall.

Eriul said:
PlayerRep said:
One.Cool.Customer said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Well stated. Wasnt high on Stitt when he was hired, had the obvious frustrations most have had these first 3 years, but there is no doubt about the improvements on and off the field.

Give him 3 more years. Let’s see what happens with a roster full of his own recruits, a seasoned and more experienced qb in Jenson, an evolving offensive scheme, and there will be no doubt after 2020

Go Griz

Stitt already has 80 or 85 of his recruits (based on ready that only about 18 prior recruits remained at the start of the season). He has his QB (Jensen and Phillips). He has all of his own receivers, I believe. Not H-backs but I hope you have any issues with Horner or Simis. What Are you serious that you would give him till 2020 to be running all cylinders? That’s 6 years.

Are you saying that UM, under Stitt, has improved on and off the field? Delaney’s last 2 teams were ranked nos. 12 and 8. What has improved off the field since Delaney?

tbf I'm pretty sure much of that has to do with the classes he had. It's no secret that Delaney's recruiting classes weren't the best. If you had to have an arrow pointing up/down for the Griz, do you think the arrow was pointing up or down when Delaney left?

Personally, I think the arrow was pointing down big time and I think under Stitt we have turned that down arrow into an up arrow these last 2 years.

I thought Delaney’s recruiting classes were fine. A bit hard to judge after a bunch of guys leave after new coach arrives. We will see how Stitt’s classes turn out to be. Only 1 o-lineman starting in Year 3. Any Quinn’s, Russum’s, Horn’s, Balogh, Poehl’s, Kistler’s,
Burton’s? 1 of 3 H-backs. How would you rate the secondary recruits? Where are the future NFLers? QB seems fine but there have been a lot of very good Griz QB’s. Linebacker seems good. But where are the Tripp’s, Coyle’s, and other recent first team all-conference guys besides Buss? D-line fine but not sure of Stitt depth. Running backs okay but where are Hilliard’s, Green’s, Humphrey's. Kicker-punters? We will see how the younger guys turn out.

I thought Delaney’s last 2 years beating Cats, going to playoffs, and being ranked nos 12 and 8 were perfectly fine. I explain his first year by not having with any experience, after JJ couldn’t play. The Griz are barely top 25 now. That’s not an upward trend from 12 and 8.

I never agreed with the egriz evaluation of Delaney. Chalked it up as mainly from fans who don’t really understand football.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Anyone who thinks it will be easy for Haslam to offer a 3-year, or even 2-year, contract if the Griz were to get clobbered by the Cats and not make the playoffs, doesn’t understand the Griz fan base and the amount of pressure that would be out on Haslam. Nor do they understand the importance of the Cat game to much of the fan base and virtually all former players.

What would be the reason that many former players would have an “agenda” on this important decision? Everett, let’s see you address that question.

I think the Griz will beat the Cats.

So are you an a or a b?

You’ll note I make no comment about the extension prior to the cat result, other than the pen is ready (it is, I assure you).

I played the game and understand it, I follow the Griz more than you do, I have no agenda, and support the team. You didn’t play the game, don’t understand it, but may have agenda.

I like Stitt and Semore, but believe they need to perform and get results to be supported by the bulk of Griz nation. The Cat game is very important to Griz nation and probably a contract extension. I have views on football subjects, but I don’t provide them to the senior people in the athletic dept.

I also support the band and spirit squad. So there. Ha.

grizare#1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Eriul said:
Personally I am all for extending him regardless of this weekend. 3 years if he wins this weekend and somewhat playoff success. I would give him 1-2 if he loses this week depending on how badly.

It is no secret that our team is trending in the right direction. All without our starting QB and now we're rolling with a freshman QB that was supposed to be the backup and he's looking poised to be the future and break some career records here.

I think changing coaches now would be devastating. No need for another rebuilding phase. We are finally reaping the rewards of the last one. The arrow on the Griz is very green and has no indication of slowing down unless we make drastic changes.

Agreed.
I agree also, we are not there yet but if you can't see the improvement then you wouldn't keep stitt no matter what. We not only have a young team but a fairly young staff overall.

Improvement from what? Please explain.

PlayerRep said:
grizare#1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Eriul said:

Agreed.

Improvement from what? Please explain.

Last year

PlayerRep said:
One.Cool.Customer said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Go Griz

Good evening PR!

There is no doubt my post was full of generalities, and “glass half full” fan speak. Regarding the “own players” comment, I want to see how his recruits continue to develop. Specifically, how a stitt recruited oline plays, which of his players develop into leaders to replace Shye, Strahm, McKinley, Simis, etc. I’m impressed with the contributions of stitt’s recruits, and am looking forward to their continued growth. By own players, I also was insinuating that I liked the recruits that stitt has brought in and look forward to future classes. You are correct that most ofthe roster are stitt’s guys, but many some team leaders and several starters are not.

As to the 2020 comment, and the 3 year extension, I believe the Stitt/Jenson pairing is a perfect match and 3 years would align with Jenson’s playing career, which I believe will lead to a lot of success for the griz. I understand others who say give 1 year extensions, just my opinion. Furthermore, I’m a believer in program stability and don’t believe stitt’s results this season warrant a new regime.

As to”improvement on and off the field”, it was not meant as a slight at Delaney’s tenure, but based on stitt’s first two years versus this year. It appears team unity is improved, as is execution on the field: oline play, run game, TFL, sacks, big plays given up, kicking game. I also like that stitt’s offense is including h-backs,and possible true Te in the future.

As stated prior, stitt wasn’t my first choice, and I’ve had some frustrations like everyone, but there is a lot of positive thing going on as well. I’m really excited for the future of this program! Go Griz

fanofzoo said:
Put me down for the extension if he beats the kitties and explains why on kickoffs it only goes to the 10, every time.
We pray for touchbacks.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
I posted something similar over on maroon blood trying to gauge whether or not the Griz have already exceeded expectations. It wasn't as much about a contract extension but I was curious if folks see this year as a success. Here's the post...

So this board seems a bit more critical of the Griz each year than over on Egriz, fair or not. What I'm wondering is do folks here feel the Griz have already exceeded expectations for the year?

I remember seeing a lot of 6-5 and 5-6 type predictions over here. Couple that with the coaches and media picking the Griz to finish 6th this year. So simple question.....have the Griz already exceeded expectations?

I'll go first....I predicted a 8-3 type season but will admit after last season I was being quite hopeful in that prediction. I've been happy with what I've seen from this team and its coaches. I've seen improvements over last year and a team that won't quit (opposite of last year). I've seen some good adjustments from the coaches that have led to wins. It's not perfect and it could still be better, but hats off to this year's very young Griz football team.
Regarding my expectations, they were and are that we beat yet another MSU team with a losing record, something we were unable to do last year.

Regarding "this year's very young Griz football team," it has 17 seniors including 4 of the five starting OLmen. That is a normal, not small, graduation turnover. As we saw yesterday, there is a very large dropoff from our 1's to our 2's; I am not so sure of the quality of our depth, which will be most important in our OL.

Yes good feedback. I too fear the loss of our O Line. They have been the biggest surprise to me this year and a huge reason our offense is playing well. When I said "very young team" I was referring to the fact that we are playing a ton of freshman and sophomores and juniors who Re making huge impact and they will all be back. The O line may go backwards for a year but all these other positions will only get better.

One.Cool.Customer said:
PlayerRep said:
One.Cool.Customer said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Go Griz

Good evening PR!

There is no doubt my post was full of generalities, and “glass half full” fan speak. Regarding the “own players” comment, I want to see how his recruits continue to develop. Specifically, how a stitt recruited oline plays, which of his players develop into leaders to replace Shye, Strahm, McKinley, Simis, etc. I’m impressed with the contributions of stitt’s recruits, and am looking forward to their continued growth. By own players, I also was insinuating that I liked the recruits that stitt has brought in and look forward to future classes. You are correct that most ofthe roster are stitt’s guys, but many some team leaders and several starters are not.

As to the 2020 comment, and the 3 year extension, I believe the Stitt/Jenson pairing is a perfect match and 3 years would align with Jenson’s playing career, which I believe will lead to a lot of success for the griz. I understand others who say give 1 year extensions, just my opinion. Furthermore, I’m a believer in program stability and don’t believe stitt’s results this season warrant a new regime.

As to”improvement on and off the field”, it was not meant as a slight at Delaney’s tenure, but based on stitt’s first two years versus this year. It appears team unity is improved, as is execution on the field: oline play, run game, TFL, sacks, big plays given up, kicking game. I also like that stitt’s offense is including h-backs,and possible true Te in the future.

As stated prior, stitt wasn’t my first choice, and I’ve had some frustrations like everyone, but there is a lot of positive thing going on as well. I’m really excited for the future of this program! Go Griz

Okay. I now get it. I’m good with all that. Thx for explaining.

grizghost said:
..Stitt has to beat the Cats and be in the playoffs in my mind to have a renewed contract..we are
still not a top rated team nationally and really don't get much respect..l remember how we used to
get mad when we weren't in the top 5...how things have changed!

If the Griz beat the Cats, Stitt will have no further control over whether they make the playoffs. It seems harsh to make Stitt’s contract depend on a decision made by a bunch of people whose decision may be driven by factors over which Stitt has no control. An 8-3 record and a win over the Cats should be enough to earn a new contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
One.Cool.Customer said:
PlayerRep said:
One.Cool.Customer said:

Go Griz

Good evening PR!

Okay. I now get it. I’m good with all that. Thx for explaining.

PR, what are your thoughts on this topic...have to beat cats? 1 year, 3 year, new regime?

PlayerRep said:
If UM were to lose to the Cats and not make the playoffs, both for the second year in a row, how would that be “trending upward”?

How many decades would we have to go back to find a comparable example? How would 2 years like that be trending upward from Delaney’s last 2 years of beating the Cats, going to the playoffs, and being ranked nos. 12 and 8 in the polls post-season. I have asked this question a half dozens times and haven't noticed a response. Everett, you have had a big mouth in this thread. Why don’t you explain this all to us?

:lol: :lol:

I have a big mouth on the subject. :lol: :lol:

I've posted exactly twice. You've posted no fewer than 9 times. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh fuck. You make this so hilariously easy.

Again, if you don't see the upward trend, you're either an a or a b. And yes, I talked at length with Kent yesterday. The pen is at the ready. Either get on the train or get your fat ass outta the way, cause you're about to get steamrolled.

Hey, I definitely think we're trending upward, and I like the direction the program is headed.

That said, we have to win on Saturday. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Upward trajectory or not, no one will be happy if we lose this weekend, which is why I don't think Haslam is gonna extend his contract just yet.

uofmman1122 said:
Hey, I definitely think we're trending upward, and I like the direction the program is headed.

That said, we have to win on Saturday. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Upward trajectory or not, no one will be happy if we lose this weekend, which is why I don't think Haslam is gonna extend his contract just yet.

Agree 100%. It's why the pen is ready and not yet being used.

Back