• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bob Stitt has Earned a New Contract

Fahque said:
kemajic said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Regardless of what happens against MSU, I believe Bob Stitt has earned a new contract from the University of Montana. Kent Haslam should go ahead and announce his vote of confidence in this coaching staff.

Stitt's offense is effective, productive and fun to watch. Gresch Jensen has demonstrated how it's supposed to work. Matt Robinson will be waiting in the wings. It's hard to believe how many talented underclassmen Stitt has recruited.

The defense was a concern, but is trending in a very positive direction.

Time for Mr. Haslam to end the suspense and put his best foot forward with a long-term deal.
The MSU game is pivotal. Lose it and it is back-to-back losses to underwater MSU teams. Very tough to take. No playoffs for the back-to-back years. Tough to take. Erosion of the brand. Tough decision for the AD, not a slam dunk. No automatic successor. Win it; get into the playoffs, no decision. Long term? The longest term allowed by the BOR is 3 years. A one year extension is not out of the question. BH operated on 7 one year contracts; didn't seem to impair his recruiting or team performance.

BOR didn’t allow 3 year contracts when BH was coach until maybe the very end of his career here
So? Did it hold him back? The argument is that a one year contract would hamper Stitt's ability to recruit. I say hogwash.

...coach stitt's contract/situation will work itself out...
...the bigger and always nagging problem for the program...
...finding the resources to increase the asst. coaches contracts..

... :help: ...

HookedonGriz said:
I posted something similar over on maroon blood trying to gauge whether or not the Griz have already exceeded expectations. It wasn't as much about a contract extension but I was curious if folks see this year as a success. Here's the post...

So this board seems a bit more critical of the Griz each year than over on Egriz, fair or not. What I'm wondering is do folks here feel the Griz have already exceeded expectations for the year?

I remember seeing a lot of 6-5 and 5-6 type predictions over here. Couple that with the coaches and media picking the Griz to finish 6th this year. So simple question.....have the Griz already exceeded expectations?

I'll go first....I predicted a 8-3 type season but will admit after last season I was being quite hopeful in that prediction. I've been happy with what I've seen from this team and its coaches. I've seen improvements over last year and a team that won't quit (opposite of last year). I've seen some good adjustments from the coaches that have led to wins. It's not perfect and it could still be better, but hats off to this year's very young Griz football team.
Regarding my expectations, they were and are that we beat yet another MSU team with a losing record, something we were unable to do last year.

Regarding "this year's very young Griz football team," it has 17 seniors including 4 of the five starting OLmen. That is a normal, not small, graduation turnover. As we saw yesterday, there is a very large dropoff from our 1's to our 2's; I am not so sure of the quality of our depth, which will be most important in our OL.

The reason we went to Stitt instead of someone else is because we wanted a coach that was young and up and coming. Someone we could have for a long time as long as we create the right environment. Unless we fell apart this year I thought Stitt was safe. Here we are...hopefully 8-3 going to the playoffs . Stitt has the team building, players like the staff, I think a extension is here without an issue

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
I posted something similar over on maroon blood trying to gauge whether or not the Griz have already exceeded expectations. It wasn't as much about a contract extension but I was curious if folks see this year as a success. Here's the post...

So this board seems a bit more critical of the Griz each year than over on Egriz, fair or not. What I'm wondering is do folks here feel the Griz have already exceeded expectations for the year?

I remember seeing a lot of 6-5 and 5-6 type predictions over here. Couple that with the coaches and media picking the Griz to finish 6th this year. So simple question.....have the Griz already exceeded expectations?

I'll go first....I predicted a 8-3 type season but will admit after last season I was being quite hopeful in that prediction. I've been happy with what I've seen from this team and its coaches. I've seen improvements over last year and a team that won't quit (opposite of last year). I've seen some good adjustments from the coaches that have led to wins. It's not perfect and it could still be better, but hats off to this year's very young Griz football team.
Regarding my expectations, they were and are that we beat yet another MSU team with a losing record, something we were unable to do last year.

Regarding "this year's very young Griz football team," it has 17 seniors including 4 of the five starting OLmen. That is a normal, not small, graduation turnover. As we saw yesterday, there is a very large dropoff from our 1's to our 2's; I am not so sure of the quality of our depth, which will be most important in our OL.

Do you think that drop off includes on the O-line? I wonder how our skill players (all returning, BTW)will perform behind a younger O-line next year...

EverettGriz said:
Anyone who cannot see the sharp upward trend line of this team either:

(a) has an agenda
or
(b) never played the game.

Kent’s got the pen ready.

Anyone who thinks it will be easy for Haslam to offer a 3-year, or even 2-year, contract if the Griz were to get clobbered by the Cats and not make the playoffs, doesn’t understand the Griz fan base and the amount of pressure that would be out on Haslam. Nor do they understand the importance of the Cat game to much of the fan base and virtually all former players.

What would be the reason that many former players would have an “agenda” on this important decision? Everett, let’s see you address that question.

I think the Griz will beat the Cats.

mtgrizfankb said:
The reason we went to Stitt instead of someone else is because we wanted a coach that was young and up and coming. Someone we could have for a long time as long as we create the right environment. Unless we fell apart this year I thought Stitt was safe. Here we are...hopefully 8-3 going to the playoffs . Stitt has the team building, players like the staff, I think a extension is here without an issue
Stitt is 53. I can agree, but what if we are 7-4, once again losing to an MSU team with a losing record, and not in the playoffs? Then I believe the extension is an issue and a tough decision for an AD.

EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Well stated. Wasnt high on Stitt when he was hired, had the obvious frustrations most have had these first 3 years, but there is no doubt about the improvements on and off the field.

Give him 3 more years. Let’s see what happens with a roster full of his own recruits, a seasoned and more experienced qb in Jenson, an evolving offensive scheme, and there will be no doubt after 2020

Go Griz

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Anyone who thinks it will be easy for Haslam to offer a 3-year, or even 2-year, contract if the Griz were to get clobbered by the Cats and not make the playoffs, doesn’t understand the Griz fan base and the amount of pressure that would be out on Haslam. Nor do they understand the importance of the Cat game to much of the fan base and virtually all former players.

What would be the reason that many former players would have an “agenda” on this important decision? Everett, let’s see you address that question.

Having an agenda = disagreeing with me.

If UM were to lose to the Cats and not make the playoffs, both for the second year in a row, how would that be “trending upward”?

How many decades would we have to go back to find a comparable example? How would 2 years like that be trending upward from Delaney’s last 2 years of beating the Cats, going to the playoffs, and being ranked nos. 12 and 8 in the polls post-season. I have asked this question a half dozens times and haven't noticed a response. Everett, you have had a big mouth in this thread. Why don’t you explain this all to us?

One.Cool.Customer said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Well stated. Wasnt high on Stitt when he was hired, had the obvious frustrations most have had these first 3 years, but there is no doubt about the improvements on and off the field.

Give him 3 more years. Let’s see what happens with a roster full of his own recruits, a seasoned and more experienced qb in Jenson, an evolving offensive scheme, and there will be no doubt after 2020

Go Griz

Stitt already has 80 or 85 of his recruits (based on ready that only about 18 prior recruits remained at the start of the season). He has his QB (Jensen and Phillips). He has all of his own receivers, I believe. Not H-backs but I hope you have any issues with Horner or Simis. What Are you serious that you would give him till 2020 to be running all cylinders? That’s 6 years.

Are you saying that UM, under Stitt, has improved on and off the field? Delaney’s last 2 teams were ranked nos. 12 and 8. What has improved off the field since Delaney?

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Disagreeing with you = sugarcoater.

Wheeeee this is fun!!!

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Wheeeee this is fun!!!

When has Kem ever called anyone a sugarcoater?

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Wheeeee this is fun!!!

When has Kem ever called anyone a sugarcoater?

when did EG say he was referring to Kem?

I just want:
1. To always be in the top half of the FCS.
2. For it to be damn hard to find tickets.
3. The days when a loss was unbelievable.
4. Coaches to get us there.
Nothing less.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

So are you an a or a b?

You’ll note I make no comment about the extension prior to the cat result, other than the pen is ready (it is, I assure you).

PlayerRep said:
If UM were to lose to the Cats and not make the playoffs, both for the second year in a row, how would that be “trending upward”?

How many decades would we have to go back to find a comparable example? How would 2 years like that be trending upward from Delaney’s last 2 years of beating the Cats, going to the playoffs, and being ranked nos. 12 and 8 in the polls post-season. I have asked this question a half dozens times and haven't noticed a response. Everett, you have had a big mouth in this thread. Why don’t you explain this all to us?

Thank you....get sick of the Delaney bashing. He came in when team was at a crisis moment and turned it around to Cat wins, playoffs and being ranked. He worked hard on cleaning up issues too. He can't be used as an excuse for last years collapse and God forbid another one this week. Saturday is HUGE....and still a major factor in Stitt extension

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

(a) has an agenda
or

Wheeeee this is fun!!!

Ah , the old chicken or the egg conundrum

Back