• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

All the FCS playoff possibilities...

all this makes my head spin,,,,lets just win the dang conference outright from here on out = no worries....

Griz til I die said:
DoubleNicks said:
marceagfan5 said:
$$$ won’t be discussed at all when selecting a team...

Correct. The selection committee is made up of university ADs, not employees of the NCAA. If they have any bias/motivation it would be to get their own team or conference teams in (which with success and exposure could lead to monetary benefit in the future), not who makes the most money since the revenue I believe is split between the host institution and the NCAA (which again, members of the selection committee are not a part of, so they don't see any of that money). Money only plays a part AFTER the teams have been selected. Then the bids determine who hosts.

The selection committee is listed here:
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMFBL_PreChampsManual_20170914.pdf

Idaho State's AD is the rep for the west with Haslam being a member of the regional advisory committee.
Does anyone think it’s possible to contact one of the members of the selection committee? And if it is if someone were to ask them what their position is on the Griz, do you think they’d tell you?

I doubt it would ever happen, but I’d love to hear the stew from Eastern’s standpoint. If EWU doesn’t get in at 7 - 4 this year, I sure as hell hope Our AD realizes what a tough position he puts eastern in year in year out with our non conf schedule

IdaGriz01 said:
marceagfan5 said:
... The fact that 8 teams are seeded has really changed the money aspect...the only game the griz would host would be the first game, thanksgiving weekend, which is typically a low turnout....$$$ won’t be discussed at all when selecting a team...
Probably an accurate assessment. However, we have been lucky in seeing many of the other top FCS teams this year ... they just happened to be on channels we can get on DirecTV. Except for James Madison, which is "scary good," I do not see a huge disparity in talent among the other teams that are likely to get seeds compared to a second tier of really good teams.

My point? Yes, after the Griz win the first round at home, they would have to visit a seed for the second game. But then things could get interesting. When the Griz beat their seeded opponent in the second game, it could be possible for them to return to WaGriz for the next round. That would require that some other seeded team(s) also lose ... which (IF I understand the rules properly) throws the home-field determination back to the bid process. I believe that's what happened last year when unseeded Youngstown State beat #3 Jacksonville State and unseeded Wofford beat #6 Citadel.

Unlikely? Sure. Optimistic? Of course ... but I'm a Griz fan, so I'm allowed :)

GO GRIZ! :egriz:

I agree with everything you said. The griz Would outbid any team in the playoffs, so if you’re ever faced against another non-seeded team, you will host. I also agree that the playoffs are wide open, except for James Madison as they look really good

marceagfan5 said:
... I also agree that the playoffs are wide open, except for James Madison as they look really good
For a fact!

I would not want to be on the committee this year. I'd say maybe 5-6 at-large teams will be pretty easy to pick ... but, Boy!, picking the rest will be brutal.

What I've been saying for a while now....saw Haley respond to a question we've been wondering about.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/craighaley/status/930178626737369088[/tweet]

HookedonGriz said:
What I've been saying for a while now....saw Haley respond to a question we've been wondering about.

Again, using HALEY as a source to confirm your opinion isn’t exactly strenghthing your opinion.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Again, using HALEY as a source to confirm your opinion isn’t exactly strenghthing your opinion.

Yes he has been a Griz hater for a decade plus

marceagfan5 said:
Griz til I die said:
DoubleNicks said:
marceagfan5 said:
$$$ won’t be discussed at all when selecting a team...

Correct. The selection committee is made up of university ADs, not employees of the NCAA. If they have any bias/motivation it would be to get their own team or conference teams in (which with success and exposure could lead to monetary benefit in the future), not who makes the most money since the revenue I believe is split between the host institution and the NCAA (which again, members of the selection committee are not a part of, so they don't see any of that money). Money only plays a part AFTER the teams have been selected. Then the bids determine who hosts.

Idaho State's AD is the rep for the west with Haslam being a member of the regional advisory committee.
Does anyone think it’s possible to contact one of the members of the selection committee? And if it is if someone were to ask them what their position is on the Griz, do you think they’d tell you?

I doubt it would ever happen, but I’d love to hear the stew from Eastern’s standpoint. If EWU doesn’t get in at 7 - 4 this year, I sure as hell hope Our AD realizes what a tough position he puts eastern in year in year out with our non conf schedule
'
I assume your complaint with the EWU AD is that he schedules games against FBS opponents like Texas Tech. However, you should take into account the AD's responsibility to essentially pay for the football program by scheduling "money" games. Coaches don't get paid anything close to their current salaries without the income from such games. That's particularly true at places like EWU that don't put 25,000 people in the stands for their home games.

If, on the other hand you are griping about scheduling an FCS powerhouse like NDSU, then how do you think EWU will ever advance in the FCS polls or playoffs if they only play pushovers?

Copper King said:
marceagfan5 said:
Griz til I die said:
DoubleNicks said:

'
I assume your complaint with the EWU AD is that he schedules games against FBS opponents like Texas Tech. However, you should take into account the AD's responsibility to essentially pay for the football program by scheduling "money" games. Coaches don't get paid anything close to their current salaries without the income from such games. That's particularly true at places like EWU that don't put 25,000 people in the stands for their home games.

If, on the other hand you are griping about scheduling an FCS powerhouse like NDSU, then how do you think EWU will ever advance in the FCS polls or playoffs if they only play pushovers?

Love the FBS game every year and it’s a must for Eastern. My gripe is our FCS scheduling. You realize we flew all the way to NY this year to play Fordham and we don’t get a return game...same thing with South Dakota A couple years ago. Our AD does a terrible job scheduling, regardless of funding....most teams try to schedule one easier game every year to work out some kinks, Eastern rarely does and it may bite us in the ass this year

marceagfan5 said:
Love the FBS game every year and it’s a must for Eastern. My gripe is our FCS scheduling. You realize we flew all the way to NY this year to play Fordham and we don’t get a return game...same thing with South Dakota A couple years ago. Our AD does a terrible job scheduling, regardless of funding....most teams try to schedule one easier game every year to work out some kinks, Eastern rarely does and it may bite us in the ass this year

Hey, hey, hey. Dont' worry. According to many, you're going to get MSU-like credit for a 'quality loss' instead of an easier schedule with winnable games. Saul Goodman. :thumb:

HelenaHandBasket said:
Igotgoodsources said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Igotgoodsources said:
You must not be familiar with the NCAA and how they exploit their athletics and athletes? Sometimes its not all about having first hand knowledge, its about what history has taught us.

You must have misunderstood my question, or completely ignored it.

You must have misunderstood mine as well.

It would seem that marceagfan5 and DoubleNicks understood.
20,000 tickets at $35 a pop..... yeah I see the NCAA passing that $700,000 up.

Igotgoodsources said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Igotgoodsources said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You must have misunderstood my question, or completely ignored it.

None of that is a selection criteria.

A Griz win and they are in. I think the sky gets 4 teams this year. Southern Utah over N. Arizona would definitely be helpful but there are 24 teams getting in the playoffs and when you look at the Griz Saragrin Ranking (sp) it stacks up favorably with other bubble schools. There are many other games this weekend that can help the Griz (not just games in the Big Sky Conference.)

jm2142 said:
I think for Montana to get in it will take a NAU and EWU loss and of course a Griz win

Don’t think the EWU game has one iota of impact on whether the Griz are playoff bound. Win and in...

HelenaHandBasket said:
Igotgoodsources said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Igotgoodsources said:

You're right. Money doesnt talk, in anything, ever. My fault.

Igotgoodsources said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Igotgoodsources said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You're right. Money doesnt talk, in anything, ever. My fault.

I never said money wasn't important, what I said was that it is not a criteria for team selection for participation in the FCS playoffs.

Igotgoodsources said:
I was never saying it was an actual criteria to the process. Im saying its on the table, un spoken, in the selection room.

So to double back to a question I asked you earlier, are you saying that you have been in the selection room during the process? Or is this purely based on speculation?

Back