• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

406 MT Sports (Missoulian) interviews Stitt

PlayerRep said:
Ringneck said:
BWahlberg said:
During spring ball, Stitt said the coaches tried manufacturing adverse situations and gauging the players’ reactions and body language. The coaches tried correcting negative body language using film review.

If you've got a couple of minutes to spare, I recommend this video. I know that comparing women's basketball to football might be like comparing melons to bananas, but this is a great video of Geno Auriemma talking about the importance of his players' body language. Basically what he's suggesting is that the way players physically respond to adversity is an indicator of their character. So I think Stitt & Co. are right to address the "negative body language" issue.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_wgb3OREQ[/youtube]

In my opinion, the biggest casualty of the 2011-2014 Pflugrad-Delaney era was the football program's culture. When the program got whipped by the University brass and the NCAA, they slumped their shoulders and kicked rocks. I understand that Delaney was brought in to try to stabilize things, but he didn't stop the bleeding. Things stabilized, sure, but not back at the same place the program had fallen from. Delaney recruited good players, sure. He maybe even ran the right schemes for those players. But culture eats strategy, and the team's culture reeked of defeat, not pride.

The way Auriemma has built UConn WBB into a dynasty is due first and foremost to the program's culture. Yes, they get excellent players, but those players excel in the team-first culture he's developed. To quote the late great John Wooden, "You can't win without good players, but you can lose with them."

Give Stitt some time. He's rebuilding a culture, and it's hard to regain ground once it's been lost. I believe he's recruiting the right players for the program culture he's building. He's surrounding himself with coaches and staff who are products of the pride and tradition of Grizzlies football. If Stitt isn't around next year, I hope they hire someone to build on what he's done, not tear it down. Give him time.

While "culture", or whatever the right word is, has slipped since Hauck left, I have not seen, heard or read anything that would attribute the slippage do Pflu or Delaney. In fact, if Pflu had not been fired, I believe the Griz would have continued to be an elite program near the top of the heap. Nevertheless, the "culture", i.e. finding a way to win close games, come back, and win on the road, had declined by the time Stitt arrived. However, it is now year 3 and it seems the slippage has continued, and even got worse late last season. Stitt talked about the inability to win on the road during both of his prior years. So, he knew it, but nothing seemed to improve. I am not blaming him, as I have no real clue how to get a team to win consistently on the road.

100% Agree on both points.

I agree that the whole "body language" thing struck me at first as a lot of new age, touchy-feely, snowflake thinking but when you realize how truly badly the Griz play on the road versus at home you have to admit that something mental is at work. The talent/coaching is the same on the road as it is at home. Sure the crowd can help energize players but they shouldn't need that to perform at their best. Who knows, maybe the psychological aspect is what has been missing in the last few years? Doesn't seem like some focus on it could hurt anything.

I agree that the culture of winning is huge. In the hay day, in close games or when the Griz were down late in the game, you always expected them to pull it off and somehow they almost always did. The players seemed confident they would ultimately win, even when behind.

I really don't see that confidence anymore. Hopefully it rebounds this year.

ranco said:
I agree that the culture of winning is huge. In the hay day, in close games or when the Griz were down late in the game, you always expected them to pull it off and somehow they almost always did. The players seemed confident they would ultimately win, even when behind.

I think part of the reason why former Griz teams were so confident and able to almost always win games they were down in is because they trusted each other. That's why Stitt values relationships and building trust so much, because you have to trust your teammates if you're going to have any chance at overcoming adversity.

get'em_griz said:
ranco said:

I think part of the reason why former Griz teams were so confident and able to almost always win games they were down in is because they trusted each other. That's why Stitt values relationships and building trust so much, because you have to trust your teammates if you're going to have any chance at overcoming adversity.
That's why I would hesitate to underestimate the enthusiasm, camaraderie, and buy-in that we are seeing out of this group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
get'em_griz said:
ranco said:

That's why I would hesitate to underestimate the enthusiasm, camaraderie, and buy-in that we are seeing out of this group.

Same here, brew.

brewskis said:
get'em_griz said:
ranco said:

:thumb:

ranco said:

here is just 1 of them,

For starters, it was two traditional powerhouse FCS programs playing in one of the premier venues. No team in Division I football won more games during the 2000s than Montana. Appalachian State was second to the Grizzlies in the FCS total wins during the decade, and the Mountaineers won three straight national championships in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

The game featured arguably the best FCS player of all-time in Appalachian State quarterback Armanti Edwards, the only two-time winner of the Walter Payton Award.

ESPN was there. Not ESPN2 or ESPN3, or ESPNU. This showdown was televised live in HD on the "Mothership.'' A trip to the national championship was on the line.

Oh, and let's not forget the snow.

It had all of the makings of an epic, memorable night. Unlike so many marquee events, this one didn't disappoint. In fact, it exceeded all expectations. Montana's 24-17 victory, which wasn't decided until the game's final play, ranks 35th on the Big Sky Conference's list of "50 Greatest Men's Moments.''

The Grizzlies took over on their own 27-yard line looking to win the game on the drive. Reynolds picked up 7 yards, and then busted loose for 26. A 15-yard facemask took the ball all the way to the Appalachian State 25-yard line. Reynolds picked up 10 more on his next carry, but that yardage was negated on the next play by a holding penalty.

By this time, a thin layer of snow covered the turf. Footing was suspect. On first-and-20, sophomore receiver Jabin Sambrano, who hadn't caught a pass all game, lined up as the outside receiver to the far left of Selle, who was working from the shotgun. Reynolds was lined up to the right of Selle.

Selle looked left and lofted a ball in the direction of Sambrano. His feet skidded through the snow just in front of the Grizzly student section as he grasped the ball tightly with his left and held it against his chest. The play was reviewed by officials, but the catch stood.

"I remember watching Selle throw the ball up, and remember it was like slow motion,'' Reynolds recalled. "Jabin caught it. They reviewed it, and we were watching it on the big screen, saying 'that's a touchdown, that's a touchdown.' I don't remember too much about college, but there are a few moments, and that's one of them.''

By this time, TV sets across the United States had tuned in. The snow, the score, the game setting had all lured them in. It drew a 1.87 cable rating, the largest viewing audience ever for an FCS game.

Montana's second straight trip to the national championship game was just 91 seconds away. It would be a long, agonizing, tense 91 seconds of game clock. Edwards, who had thrown for more than 10,000 yards and rushed for more than 4,000 during his illustrious career, was primed for one more win to add to his resume. Time wasn't an issue.

Three straight pass completions by the left-hander accounted for 51 yards, and the Mountaineers were in business at Montana's 24-yard line. After three straight incomplete passes, and facing a fourth-and-10, Edwards connected with Brian Quick, who is now teammates with Reynolds and UM's Trumaine Johnson on the St. Louis Rams, over the middle right at the first-down marker. The spot was reviewed, but by the tip of the ball, Appalachian State had life.

Appalachian State's Devon Moore caught a pass over the middle and was tackled by a host of Grizzlies at the 3-yard line. Appalachian State burned its final timeout with six seconds left.

On first down, Edwards' pass was batted away by Grizzly linebacker Brandon Fisher, who was in the right place, and it wasn't an accident.

"We had a real solid defense that year,'' Hauck said. "We were very, very smart. We had a bunch of guys who were 3.0 and 4.0 students. They never got fooled. They were in the right position all the time. Brandon was one of those guys, and he obviously made a nice play.''

App State drove deep into Montana territory with under 10 seconds to play. One second still remained on the clock. Edwards took the snap, and glanced to his right. He came back left, trying to hit quick right at the goal line. Grizzly cornerback Trumaine Johnson was tight on Quick. The ball was a bit too high, and went through Quick's hands.

Bedlam followed. Montana won 24-17. Players and fans stormed the field, some falling to the turf to make snow angels. Fireworks lit up the sky.

"It was a great college football game,'' Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore said in the postgame press conference.

there was one other great football game that year as well.....comeback game against sdsu.
selle qb'd both those games. roper subbed a little in the sdsu game

culture eats strategy...............loved that culture back then, however, we did lose in strategy
at the chipper game against Nova....as some have stated that hauck , leading at halftime 14-9, did not make the half time adjustment to stop the mighty szczur, we lost by 2.

Back