• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

406 MT Sports (Missoulian) interviews Stitt

People realize that the Griz have been a paper tiger since Hauck left and have the lack of Conference Championships along with dismal road record to prove it. The program does need rebuilding, does need to regain it's swagger. Stitt is not wrong about this, but I am not sure he is the guy that can get it done.

Ron Ash:

Montana State Bobcats (Big Sky Conference) (2007–2015)
2007 Montana State 6–5 4–4 T–4th
2008 Montana State 7–5 5–3 T–3rd
2009 Montana State 7–4 5–3 4th
2010 Montana State 9–3 7–1 T–1st L FCS Second Round 7 11
2011 Montana State 10–3 7–1 1st L FCS Quarterfinal 7 7
2012 Montana State 11–2 7–1 T–1st L FCS Quarterfinal 5 5
2013 Montana State 7–5 5–3 T–4th 18 16
2014 Montana State 8–5 6–2 T–2nd L FCS First Round
2015 Montana State 5–6 3–5 T–8th
Montana State: 70–38 50–23

Jeff Choke:

Montana State Bobcats (Big Sky Conference) (2016–present)
2016 Montana State 4–7 2–6 T–9th
Montana State: 4–7 2–6
Total: 4–7

Is Choke rebuilding or remodeling? Why would an FBS drop down coach struggle with Ash's recruits? Isn't struggling limited to D-II move ups? Cats are picked to finish no better than last year in latest polls. If they do, is he on the hot seat this year, Hauck fans? Have you seen his interviews. Can a TV media coach get rid of the Pelosi look of surprise? And if he loses to Griz at home this year will MSU75Cats daily post and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost his litany of complaints on Mudcat Nation? Will Cruzado doom the program for years by offering draconian sanctions to appease the NCAA over the breaking beastiality scandal in the MSU rodeo program? Can MSU's enrollment levels maintain once Krakwhore reports on the scandal in his new book "Bozeman, Sheep Nation?"

HelenaHandBasket said:
People realize that the Griz have been a paper tiger since Hauck left and have the lack of Conference Championships along with dismal road record to prove it. The program does need rebuilding, does need to regain it's swagger. Stitt is not wrong about this, but I am not sure he is the guy that can get it done.

I vote for this.

HelenaHandBasket said:

I agree with that. Except the last part. I'm behind the coach until its proven he's not the guy, and we cant find that out in 2 seasons.

RayWill said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:
Sounds to me like he doesn't have much confidence for this year and is trying to make his argument already why he should get an extension. Finish sixth he won't get it.

I don't know where you got that from. Sounds more like basic "I'm liking what I see, but we still have fall camp to go through before the season even begins," style coach speak. Mentioning progress and certain steps being made, but can't say anything concrete.

The whole we were hired to build a program and it takes at least 5 years comment etc. The rest, yes, was just coach speak. I hope I am wrong and they tear it up this fall. Nothing would please me more. Just way too many unknowns to instill much confidence here.

The Griz program did not need rebuilding. It just needed to get back up a notch to elite, to winning on the road, and to finding a way to win the tough ones, including get the swagger back. This takes works and strong coaching, but not rebuilding, in my view. Hauck had things going at a very high and consistent level when he left (but may not have had the recruiting going for the next coach). Pflu had a down first year, which I would say was due in large part to losing Selle early in the season. Then back to the semifinals. Delaney had a down first year, almost solely to not have JJ and not having a replacement with any experience. Then back to two solid years in the playoffs. Stitt had a pretty good first year, with some nice wins and some disappointments. Did a good job managing the qb injury problem. Then, the end of last year happened, and the defense didn't seem to have it at the end of the year. Two very bad and disappointing loses. Haven't been able to win on the road with Sitt, and some similar problems with Delaney.

While I am not going to tell anyone who thinks Stitt doesn't have it and isn't the guy and isn't going to get the job done, that they are wrong, I still think the Griz will have a decent to better season. The assistant coaches are strong. I like Ferriter's new role. Some of the younger guys, as well as veterans, need to come into their own right away and/or step it up. That includes Phillips, or a qb. I still can't believe that Stitt is a weak coach. We shall see.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Ron Ash:

Jeff Choke:

Is Choke rebuilding or remodeling? Why would an FBS drop down coach struggle with Ash's recruits? Isn't struggling limited to D-II move ups? Cats are picked to finish no better than last year in latest polls. If they do, is he on the hot seat this year, Hauck fans? Have you seen his interviews. Can a TV media coach get rid of the Pelosi look of surprise? And if he loses to Griz at home this year will MSU75Cats daily post and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost his litany of complaints on Mudcat Nation? Will Cruzado doom the program for years by offering draconian sanctions to appease the NCAA over the breaking beastiality scandal in the MSU rodeo program? Can MSU's enrollment levels maintain once Krakwhore reports on the scandal in his new book "Bozeman, Sheep Nation?"

MSU is rebuilding. Especially the D, but also the QB. The Cats let a handful of games get away from them last year, including Idaho and SS. Also, they came the closest to beating ND. I think Choate et al is going to get the Cats going again. Not sure the Cats have the talent yet to get things going this year.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Ron Ash:

Jeff Choke:

This was hard to follow. I can't quite tell what the point is. Or how it related to anything someone said here. It was certainly interesting, though. But the real question is whether or not bestiality actually breaks any NCAA guidelines.

RayWill said:
Sounds to me like he doesn't have much confidence for this year and is trying to make his argument already why he should get an extension. Finish sixth he won't get it.

Exactly!

PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Ron Ash:

Jeff Choke:

MSU is rebuilding. Especially the D, but also the QB. The Cats let a handful of games get away from them last year, including Idaho and SS. Also, they came the closest to beating ND. I think Choate et al is going to get the Cats going again. Not sure the Cats have the talent yet to get thinks going this year.

Good assessment of the Cats. Damn near beat Idaho (Bowl Team) last year. I agree, I like Choate and I think he might have what it takes to build a championship team... might take some time tho.

Regarding Stitt's interview, I still can't believe UM didn't hire a coach with Championship experience... especially coming from DII. Ya ya I know CSOM is an engineering school blah blah. IF UM really hired him to build a championship program you'd think that's something they would have wanted him to have on his resume.

Different subject, but I have wondered what qualifies AD's who haven't played the game, or haven't even hired many coaches, to know how to evaluate coaches and make quality hiring decisions. Especially with potential coaches who either don't have head coaching experience ro who are moving up a notch or two. Obviously, this is how the system works, but I find it a bit curious.

poorgriz said:
Regarding Stitt's interview, I still can't believe UM didn't hire a coach with Championship experience... especially coming from DII. Ya ya I know CSOM is an engineering school blah blah. IF UM really hired him to build a championship program you'd think that's something they would have wanted him to have on his resume.

Regarding poorcat's post, I still can't believe a diehard cat fan spends all of his time over here on the Griz board....especially with his obvious Griz envy. Ya ya I know the conversations on litter box nation are pathetic. Just another cat fan obviously obsessed with the Griz you'd think you would want to stay on your own board and talk kitty football.

Hope coach Stitt can build a program better than he did in fifteen years at School of Mines.

Just my biased opinion.

Go Griz athletes make a great coach.

spsyk said:
Hope coach Stitt can build a program better than he did in fifteen years at School of Mines.

Just my biased opinion.

Go Griz athletes make a great coach.
Yeah, taking one of the worst schools in D2 and making them respectable is a pretty pathetic feat.

Anyone could do it, really.

BWahlberg said:
During spring ball, Stitt said the coaches tried manufacturing adverse situations and gauging the players’ reactions and body language. The coaches tried correcting negative body language using film review.

If you've got a couple of minutes to spare, I recommend this video. I know that comparing women's basketball to football might be like comparing melons to bananas, but this is a great video of Geno Auriemma talking about the importance of his players' body language. Basically what he's suggesting is that the way players physically respond to adversity is an indicator of their character. So I think Stitt & Co. are right to address the "negative body language" issue.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_wgb3OREQ[/youtube]

In my opinion, the biggest casualty of the 2011-2014 Pflugrad-Delaney era was the football program's culture. When the program got whipped by the University brass and the NCAA, they slumped their shoulders and kicked rocks. I understand that Delaney was brought in to try to stabilize things, but he didn't stop the bleeding. Things stabilized, sure, but not back at the same place the program had fallen from. Delaney recruited good players, sure. He maybe even ran the right schemes for those players. But culture eats strategy, and the team's culture reeked of defeat, not pride.

The way Auriemma has built UConn WBB into a dynasty is due first and foremost to the program's culture. Yes, they get excellent players, but those players excel in the team-first culture he's developed. To quote the late great John Wooden, "You can't win without good players, but you can lose with them."

Give Stitt some time. He's rebuilding a culture, and it's hard to regain ground once it's been lost. I believe he's recruiting the right players for the program culture he's building. He's surrounding himself with coaches and staff who are products of the pride and tradition of Grizzlies football. If Stitt isn't around next year, I hope they hire someone to build on what he's done, not tear it down. Give him time.

Ringneck said:
BWahlberg said:
During spring ball, Stitt said the coaches tried manufacturing adverse situations and gauging the players’ reactions and body language. The coaches tried correcting negative body language using film review.

If you've got a couple of minutes to spare, I recommend this video. I know that comparing women's basketball to football might be like comparing melons to bananas, but this is a great video of Geno Auriemma talking about the importance of his players' body language. Basically what he's suggesting is that the way players physically respond to adversity is an indicator of their character. So I think Stitt & Co. are right to address the "negative body language" issue.

In my opinion, the biggest casualty of the 2011-2014 Pflugrad-Delaney era was the football program's culture. When the program got whipped by the University brass and the NCAA, they slumped their shoulders and kicked rocks. I understand that Delaney was brought in to try to stabilize things, but he didn't stop the bleeding. Things stabilized, sure, but not back at the same place the program had fallen from. Delaney recruited good players, sure. He maybe even ran the right schemes for those players. But culture eats strategy, and the team's culture reeked of defeat, not pride.

The way Auriemma has built UConn WBB into a dynasty is due first and foremost to the program's culture. Yes, they get excellent players, but those players excel in the team-first culture he's developed. To quote the late great John Wooden, "You can't win without good players, but you can lose with them."

Give Stitt some time. He's rebuilding a culture, and it's hard to regain ground once it's been lost. I believe he's recruiting the right players for the program culture he's building. He's surrounding himself with coaches and staff who are products of the pride and tradition of Grizzlies football. If Stitt isn't around next year, I hope they hire someone to build on what he's done, not tear it down. Give him time.

Very well put and hard to argue anything you just stated. I'm sure someome will be by soon to do just that though. Thanks for the video. Saw that one other time and love it.

Ringneck said:
BWahlberg said:

Perfectly said.

brewskis said:
The_Real_Chief said:
brewskis said:
RayWill said:
He all but said that the expectation was to beat 6th. Sure that's not saying much, but I don't think it sounds like he's anticipating a poor year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do you think he will be around in 2018?
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Ringneck said:
BWahlberg said:

While "culture", or whatever the right word is, has slipped since Hauck left, I have not seen, heard or read anything that would attribute the slippage do Pflu or Delaney. In fact, if Pflu had not been fired, I believe the Griz would have continued to be an elite program near the top of the heap. Nevertheless, the "culture", i.e. finding a way to win close games, come back, and win on the road, had declined by the time Stitt arrived. However, it is now year 3 and it seems the slippage has continued, and even got worse late last season. Stitt talked about the inability to win on the road during both of his prior years. So, he knew it, but nothing seemed to improve. I am not blaming him, as I have no real clue how to get a team to win consistently on the road.

PlayerRep said:
Ringneck said:
BWahlberg said:

While "culture", or whatever the right word is, has slipped since Hauck left, I have not seen, heard or read anything that would attribute the slippage do Pflu or Delaney. In fact, if Pflu had not been fired, I believe the Griz would have continued to be an elite program near the top of the heap. Nevertheless, the "culture", i.e. finding a way to win close games, come back, and win on the road, had declined by the time Stitt arrived. However, it is now year 3 and it seems the slippage has continued, and even got worse late last season. Stitt talked about the inability to win on the road during both of his prior years. So, he knew it, but nothing seemed to improve. I am not blaming him, as I have no real clue how to get a team to win consistently on the road.

I completely agree with this post. Back when the previous coaches were around we had a winning mentality, even the games we didn't necessarily play well we always found ways to win.

Back