• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Griz Football Recruiting- 4 Transfers, 22 HS & 4 Walk-ons

SaskGriz said:
This might be posted somewhere else, but how is a PWO different from a regular walk-on? Thanks in advance.

I believe it guarantees a roster spot. You can only have so many kids officially on the roster at given times if the year. A PWO gives you a spot but no $. A simple walk on gives you a chance to earn spot and no $. Does that sound right?

NendzoneGRIZ said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
HookedonGriz said:
I'm not aware of a FL recruit. Who'd I miss?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/umgrizzlies_fb/status/826913396339585024[/tweet]

Wasn't that Favoroso?

Yep and he is going to be an animal this season I have a feeling

I agree. He will be with the Griz for the spring football game and the next 3 seasons

bgbigdog said:
SaskGriz said:
My concern is not WA v OKL or ID vs FLA but the complete lack of Canadian players! These are kids who are healthy (they've had Obamacare their whole lives), and 10 times less likely to be shot between now and the first spring practice. Tough enough to drink beer that has alcohol in it. Fit enough to play on a bigger field, and get the 10 yards with fewer downs, so very efficient. And have listened to BTO on the Canadian prairie their whole lives so they are used to "loud and cold" and being "the best in space". Plus we are a former British colony so some of them can probably kick.

Bravo. :thumb: POTY UM

That was funny, you Canadian kiwi bastard!!

SaskGriz said:
My concern is not WA v OKL or ID vs FLA but the complete lack of Canadian players! These are kids who are healthy (they've had Obamacare their whole lives), and 10 times less likely to be shot between now and the first spring practice. Tough enough to drink beer that has alcohol in it. Fit enough to play on a bigger field, and get the 10 yards with fewer downs, so very efficient. And have listened to BTO on the Canadian prairie their whole lives so they are used to "loud and cold" and being "the best in space". Plus we are a former British colony so some of them can probably kick.
That's good stuff, eh! :lol: I raise my cup of Tim Horton's to you, the Royal Mounties, and the cast of Corner Gas. Keep your stick on the ice, SaskGriz.

Ringneck said:
SaskGriz said:
That's good stuff, eh! :lol: I raise my cup of Tim Horton's to you, the Royal Mounties, and the cast of Corner Gas. Keep your stick on the ice, SaskGriz.

Corner Gas is a great show!

SaskGriz said:
This might be posted somewhere else, but how is a PWO different from a regular walk-on? Thanks in advance.

During recruiting schools run out of scholarship money, but still have holes on their team, so they "Invite" some talented high school kids to walk-on to the team with no aide. Hence they are "Preferred Walk-ons". Preferred by the team that is, not just some schlep off the street. They join the team, along with the scholarship kids, in Aug for fall drills. They have a good chance of earning aide down the line, but certainly not guaranteed.

Regular walk-ons are kids that show up on their own, ala Rudy Ruettiger at Notre Dame.

IntuitiveGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

During recruiting schools run out of scholarship money, but still have holes on their team, so they "Invite" some talented high school kids to walk-on to the team with no aide. Hence they are "Preferred Walk-ons". Preferred by the team that is, not just some schlep off the street. They join the team, along with the scholarship kids, in Aug for fall drills. They have a good chance of earning aide down the line, but certainly not guaranteed.

Regular walk-ons are kids that show up on their own, ala Rudy Ruettiger at Notre Dame.

Are not Preferred Walk-Ons able to participate at the start of fall practice in August, while regular walk-ons have to wait until school starts?

maroonandsilver said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

Are not Preferred Walk-Ons able to participate at the start of fall practice in August, while regular walk-ons have to wait until school starts?

Correct. That is the major difference. PWO's come in and are there at the beginning of camp. Regular walk ons miss out on at least 3 weeks of practice (usually more).

maroonandsilver said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

Yes, like I said Preferred Walk-ons join the team in Aug for fall drills.

And you are correct, Walk-ons can't join the team until school starts. (I had typed this initially, but had edited it out).

The biggest difference between a Preferred Walk-on and a Walk-on is the fact that the Preferred Walk-on is INVITED to join the team, whereas the Walk-0n tries out for the team on his own accord (no invite).

Time to cut this loose... will keep the official list up for a while

Thank you to all that added to this thread and all the great conversations

PL

GoldStandardGriz said:
Soooo........what offers are out there for 2018 Payton? :D

Been thinking about this a bit... I think Stitt has become very close to the vest and it might be very hard to get a lot of into...

But will be looking and when there is some info,will start it back up, until then this bear needs a nap.

Paytonlives said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

Been thinking about this a bit... I think Stitt has become very close to the vest and it might be very hard to get a lot of into...

But will be looking and when there is some info,will start it back up, until then this bear needs a nap.

Always my favorite thread. Thanks for all the work you do.

Paytonlives said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

Wonder what is opinion of this is? You were highly accurate and dead on this year. Wonder if it is something he is not a fan of.

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/829571342374690816[/tweet]

Incarnate word and idaho also gave him PWO yesterday. No indication which one he will pick

ordigger said:
Paytonlives said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

Wonder what is opinion of this is? You were highly accurate and dead on this year. Wonder if it is something he is not a fan of.

Could be, but once the offer is made most of the HS kids are going to share it.

Latest posts

Back