• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hauck in Havre

George Ferguson

GSA Tour hit Havre today. Bobby was in good form. He and Tilleman giving each other some really good ribbing. Fun lunch.

Here's a quick run down of what I can share.

He said Dante Olson is the best player on the defense right now, and is already a superstar.

When asked about the QB position, he said "The starting QB Position is the least of my worries." He said he wants to bring in two transfers for next season. Said his freshman are not ready.

When asked to evaluate the whole team, he said: We're really good at QB, RB, WR and DL, he said OL, Secondary and LB are HUGE areas of concern right now.

He also said" With where we started to where we ended in spring, we're farther ahead than I thought we'd be."

He didn't sugarcoat anything. He was very honest. Talked a lot about the process, the depth issues and inexperience at many critical positions. He said he can't tell anyone how many games they'll win next year, but that the 2018 team will play the way Grizzly football is supposed to be played, and that, the goals are what they always are. Cats, Big Sky and Natty.

If Mr Olson is better than Mr Buss, we've got ourselves a couple of stud linebackers! :thumb:

Go Griz!

I sure hope BH was not purposely eliminating Buss as our best defensive player “RIGHT NOW” because he is projecting Buss is not going to be playing the first game.

31 Trase Le Texier R-So. LB 6-2 236 Boulder, Mont. / Jefferson County HS
33 Dante Olson R-Jr. LB 6-3 230 Medford, Ore. / Cascade Christian HS
34 Jace Lewis R-So. LB 6-1 220 Townsend, Mont. / Broadwater County HS
42 Josh Buss R-Sr. LB 6-2 220 Boise, Idaho / Mountain View HS
45 Vika Fa'atuiese R-Jr. LB 6-3 230 Vista, Calif. / Vista HS
52 Michael Matthews R-Fr. LB 6-2 206 Camas, Wash. / Camas HS
53 Carder Key R-Fr. LB 6-2 210 Broken Arrow, Okla. / Broken Arrow HS
54 Gage Smith R-Sr. LB 6-3 217 Whitefish, Mont. / Whitefish HS
56 Marcus Welnel R-Fr. LB 6-0 212 Helena, Mont. / Capital HS
57 Shayne Cochran R-Sr. LB 6-1 220 Culbertson, Mont. / Culbertson HS
95 Andrew Harris R-Jr. LB 6-2 231 Kalispell, Mont. / Glacier HS

Man, I see a five guys on that list who played a LOT last year, and Cochran and Harris even got in games pretty frequently. Maybe he thinks we're shallow in the depth pool because of system? 3-4 vs 4-3?

edit: Just remembered that Vika was moved to FB? Seems odd to move a guy to FB from a position we're already thin at, unless he (Hauck) just doesn't think Vika has what it takes to play LB?

George Ferguson said:
GSA Tour hit Havre today. Bobby was in good form. He and Tilleman giving each other some really good ribbing. Fun lunch.

He said Dante Olson is the best player on the defense right now, and is already a superstar.

When asked about the QB position, he said "The starting QB Position is the least of my worries." He said he wants to bring in two transfers for next season. Said his freshman are not ready.

When asked to evaluate the whole team, he said: We're really good at QB, RB, WR and DL, he said OL, Secondary and LB are HUGE areas of concern right now.

He also said" With where we started to where we ended in spring, we're farther ahead than I thought we'd be."

He didn't sugarcoat anything. He was very honest. Talked a lot about the process, the depth issues and inexperience at many critical positions. He said he can't tell anyone how many games they'll win next year, but that the 2018 team will play the way Grizzly football is supposed to be played, and that, the goals are what they always are. Cats, Big Sky and Natty.

When's the last time a griz team was weak at OL AND LB? Probably like 1927 or something. Those are usually trademarks of griz football.

poorgriz said:
George Ferguson said:

When's the last time a griz team was weak at OL AND LB? Probably like 1927 or something. Those are usually trademarks of griz football.

With Buss and Olson, I still consider the Griz to be fairly strong at 2-3 LB spots. But I think the discussion of "weakness" starts with Shayne Cochran and then the depth behind the rest of the group. Jace Lewis is next in line along with a slew of redshirt freshman. Also, it will be interesting to see where Jed Nagler will fit into the group once he gets acclimated to defense again. Jed has upper-level athleticism.

VimSince03 said:
krammer said:
how can l/b be a huge concern if our two best players are l/b ?

Depth and the experience of that depth.

That's my view too. If Olson is that good, then Buss and Cochran would seem to make a nice group (assuming they would fit at starters). The depth does not have experience, especially if Vika has been moved. Based on what people were saying about Like at the beginning of last year, why would a good lb with some experience get moved.
I'm not worried about lb if all of the guys are healthy.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
VimSince03 said:
krammer said:
how can l/b be a huge concern if our two best players are l/b ?

How many teams have depth WITH experience?

Well we certainly dont have a running back projected to be an all american at linebacker like the cats do....

Embarrassment of riches on the eastern slope, to be sure. :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
VimSince03 said:

Well we certainly dont have a running back projected to be an all american at linebacker like the cats do....

Actually, for once the Cats really are pretty loaded with talent and quality depth at the linebacker position. And the entire defense for that matter.

How easy is it to bring in 2 transfers who would be ready to play next year, if what appears to be the very good starting qb would be in front of them for 2 years?

poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Actually, for once the Cats really are pretty loaded with talent and quality depth at the linebacker position. And the entire defense for that matter.

we-know-we-know.jpg

PlayerRep said:
How easy is it to bring in 2 transfers who would be ready to play next year, if what appears to be the very good starting qb would be in front of them for 2 years?

I would say getting one transfer at QB will difficult enough this time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan said:
31 Trase Le Texier R-So. LB 6-2 236 Boulder, Mont. / Jefferson County HS
33 Dante Olson R-Jr. LB 6-3 230 Medford, Ore. / Cascade Christian HS
34 Jace Lewis R-So. LB 6-1 220 Townsend, Mont. / Broadwater County HS
42 Josh Buss R-Sr. LB 6-2 220 Boise, Idaho / Mountain View HS
45 Vika Fa'atuiese R-Jr. LB 6-3 230 Vista, Calif. / Vista HS
52 Michael Matthews R-Fr. LB 6-2 206 Camas, Wash. / Camas HS
53 Carder Key R-Fr. LB 6-2 210 Broken Arrow, Okla. / Broken Arrow HS
54 Gage Smith R-Sr. LB 6-3 217 Whitefish, Mont. / Whitefish HS
56 Marcus Welnel R-Fr. LB 6-0 212 Helena, Mont. / Capital HS
57 Shayne Cochran R-Sr. LB 6-1 220 Culbertson, Mont. / Culbertson HS
95 Andrew Harris R-Jr. LB 6-2 231 Kalispell, Mont. / Glacier HS

Man, I see a five guys on that list who played a LOT last year, and Cochran and Harris even got in games pretty frequently. Maybe he thinks we're shallow in the depth pool because of system? 3-4 vs 4-3?

edit: Just remembered that Vika was moved to FB? Seems odd to move a guy to FB from a position we're already thin at, unless he (Hauck) just doesn't think Vika has what it takes to play LB?

Out-of-the-loop AZGrizFan strikes again.

Not only did you forget Fa'atuiese was moved to FB (although you did edit/catch yourself, credit for that), but Le Texier was also moved to FB, and Soph WR Nagler was moved to LB.

Back