Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
Post Reply
PlayerRep
Hall of Fame
Posts: 18772
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 am

kemajic wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:57 am
Hopefully, the right one was hired.
My discomfort arises from this - that into the third season we are but hopeful. With the performance trajectory, we cannot yet be convinced. Hauck played for a NC in his second season; we were convinced.
Yup. Glenn went to Chattie right away too. Pflu was in the semis in year 2. Delaney's last 2 teams were ranked nos. 8 and 12 in the finals polls, but didn't advance as far in the playoffs as UM fans had come to want and expect. I can see the arguments both ways. I am more hopeful in part because of the staff, many of whom are former Griz players and coaches, several of whom are proven good coaches. The next 2 games will be interesting, not that SS will be much of a test (or better not be).

michigangriz
Walk On
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:23 pm
I am a fan of: Montana
Location: Back in Montana! Great Falls! Yahoo!

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by michigangriz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 pm

With all due respect, I hope Montana fans truly realize the gift we received when Craig Ochs transferred here. I liked Coach Hauck, but having a Craig Ochs at QB made him a better coach. Also, Dennehy inherited Brian Ah Yat, Joe Glenn was able to get Drew Miller and John Edwards. Yes, we had many good players up and down the lineup on those teams, but those were very good QBs.
I clearly understand that we can go round and round about Stitt, but just suppose if Stitt inherited Craig Ochs or Jordan Johnson or was able bring his QB Dvorack from CSM. Would we be talking 8-5, 6-5? If we had that kind of QB and those kind of results, I would be with you. I do not care what type of offense is run, you have to have solid QB play, a playmaker would even be better. No disrespect to the recent QBs, but they were not consistent and it showed in the final results. I know, I know, I know...there is defense, special teams, position groups involved in the final results of a game. I just happen to believe solid QB play can negate shortcomings elsewhere.
I believe we are going to have a pretty good 2017 and with Jensen in the wings, I foresee a very good 2018 and beyond. If we are able to keep Robinson as a commit, I see the Griz moving back to 94-09 type seasons. Call me a sugar coater or unrealistic if you wish, I can take it. But, if my positive outlook turns out to be correct, would some of you admit you were wrong?

Grisly Fan
Starter
Posts: 4582
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:34 am
I am a fan of: da' Griz
Location: Portland OR

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by Grisly Fan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

michigangriz wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 pm
With all due respect, I hope Montana fans truly realize the gift we received when Craig Ochs transferred here. I liked Coach Hauck, but having a Craig Ochs at QB made him a better coach. Also, Dennehy inherited Brian Ah Yat, Joe Glenn was able to get Drew Miller and John Edwards. Yes, we had many good players up and down the lineup on those teams, but those were very good QBs.
I clearly understand that we can go round and round about Stitt, but just suppose if Stitt inherited Craig Ochs or Jordan Johnson or was able bring his QB Dvorack from CSM. Would we be talking 8-5, 6-5? If we had that kind of QB and those kind of results, I would be with you. I do not care what type of offense is run, you have to have solid QB play, a playmaker would even be better. No disrespect to the recent QBs, but they were not consistent and it showed in the final results. I know, I know, I know...there is defense, special teams, position groups involved in the final results of a game. I just happen to believe solid QB play can negate shortcomings elsewhere.
I believe we are going to have a pretty good 2017 and with Jensen in the wings, I foresee a very good 2018 and beyond. If we are able to keep Robinson as a commit, I see the Griz moving back to 94-09 type seasons. Call me a sugar coater or unrealistic if you wish, I can take it. But, if my positive outlook turns out to be correct, would some of you admit you were wrong?
You can say this but others would counter with the assertion that the design of Stitt's offense REQUIRES an all world QB to even be moderately successful. If Stitt had inherited Chase Reynolds do you think he would have accomplished what he did? I don't think so -- and not just because of OL issues. In fact I think Stitt's offense helps to create OL problems. From my POV, Stitt's offense is really easy to defend. It is schematically very simple and relies on the offense to "out-athlete" the defense. It pretty clearly highlights any talent deficiency instead of compensating for it. I do not believe it can succeed at the FCS level -- and maybe not at any level,

michigangriz
Walk On
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:23 pm
I am a fan of: Montana
Location: Back in Montana! Great Falls! Yahoo!

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by michigangriz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Grisly Fan, yes, you raise good points. I wish more posts could discuss issues without having a winner or loser in the discussion, I appreciate your civility and posing good arguments, which I have considered.
In regards to Chase, if Stitt had that offensive line and Chase, with the way things are spread out, Chase's explosiveness to the hole and his great vision in the second level he would have been dynamic in this offense.
The jury is still out on his offense. As far as it not working on any level, by and large it turned a CSM program that had endured 40 plus years of futility into 15 years of winning for the most part. Maybe the 65% winning is underwhelming for Griz fans, but having lived in Colorado, I saw a few games where CSM was the opponent and they really were horrid. Say what you will, but Stitt made them competitive.
My previous argument was that solid quarterback play is important to any offense. I do not believe Stitt needs a superstar QB to make it go, just a consistant one. The offense has been inconsistent, but not necessarily inefficient. 2015 we put big numbers up on NDSU, UND, NAU, Eastern, the Cats, first half SDSU...2016 St. Francis, Cal Poly, MVSU, SacSt, Idaho St...yes, there were the games we did not score. Was it really the offense? Or inconsistent play in other facets? I think it is inconsistency and lack of execution, sprinkled in with some darn fine defensive coordinating. There isn't on offense ever designed that can score at will, nor has there been a defense that shuts out every opponent (talking college and pro here).
If I am wrong about any of this, I will come back and say so.

User avatar
ordigger
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 3897
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:54 am
Location: Wandering

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by ordigger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm

kemajic wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am
ordigger wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:43 am
The only sub-par years we've had, are last year, and the year Pflugrad didn't have JJ.

But then too eGriz is built for whiners, snivelers and people who like to bit**. :D
Maybe you would be a more believable poster if you kept your facts straight rather than labeling other posters whose opinions collide with yours. The head coach of the 2012 team that went 5-6 without JJ was Mick Delaney.
Yep, you are right. My bad. Still a sub-par year. But Delaney bounced back the next year, with JJ and did very well.

Grisly Fan
Starter
Posts: 4582
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:34 am
I am a fan of: da' Griz
Location: Portland OR

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by Grisly Fan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

michigangriz wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm
Grisly Fan, yes, you raise good points. I wish more posts could discuss issues without having a winner or loser in the discussion, I appreciate your civility and posing good arguments, which I have considered.
In regards to Chase, if Stitt had that offensive line and Chase, with the way things are spread out, Chase's explosiveness to the hole and his great vision in the second level he would have been dynamic in this offense.
The jury is still out on his offense. As far as it not working on any level, by and large it turned a CSM program that had endured 40 plus years of futility into 15 years of winning for the most part. Maybe the 65% winning is underwhelming for Griz fans, but having lived in Colorado, I saw a few games where CSM was the opponent and they really were horrid. Say what you will, but Stitt made them competitive.
My previous argument was that solid quarterback play is important to any offense. I do not believe Stitt needs a superstar QB to make it go, just a consistant one. The offense has been inconsistent, but not necessarily inefficient. 2015 we put big numbers up on NDSU, UND, NAU, Eastern, the Cats, first half SDSU...2016 St. Francis, Cal Poly, MVSU, SacSt, Idaho St...yes, there were the games we did not score. Was it really the offense? Or inconsistent play in other facets? I think it is inconsistency and lack of execution, sprinkled in with some darn fine defensive coordinating. There isn't on offense ever designed that can score at will, nor has there been a defense that shuts out every opponent (talking college and pro here).
If I am wrong about any of this, I will come back and say so.
What Stitt did at CSM is win 63% of his games over 15 years and make the playoffs 3 times, losing in the first round twice and the second round once. This means an average year was 7-4 and a playoff appearance once every 5 years. I don't believe that would qualify as "competitive" at Montana. He needs to accomplish something far better than he has ever done before.

User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 10397
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
I am a fan of: Montana
Location: Columbus

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by kemajic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 pm

stubz406 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 am
"Coach: In 2015, Bob Stitt, 53, took over a successful program that made back-to-back appearances in the 2008 and ’09 Football Championship Subdivision title game, made seven playoff appearances since 2007 and hadn’t lost fewer than nine games in the two years before his arrival. However, the Griz, the 2004 Division I-AA national champions, have steadily declined under Stitt. They were 8-5 his first year and dropped to 6-5 and eighth in the 13-team Big Sky. Montana is predicted to finish in the middle of the pack once again."
A lot of bickering here by the pro-Stitt crowd regarding this evaluation. The only thing I see that he got wrong is the date of the last NC, which is irrelevant to the point. Am I missing something other than it's not what that group wants to hear, particularly from outside eGriz....
"Turn me loose; set me free somewhere in the middle of Montana" - Merle Haggard

hilinegrizfan
4th String
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 am
I am a fan of: Griz

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by hilinegrizfan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm

kemajic wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 pm
stubz406 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 am
"Coach: In 2015, Bob Stitt, 53, took over a successful program that made back-to-back appearances in the 2008 and ’09 Football Championship Subdivision title game, made seven playoff appearances since 2007 and hadn’t lost fewer than nine games in the two years before his arrival. However, the Griz, the 2004 Division I-AA national champions, have steadily declined under Stitt. They were 8-5 his first year and dropped to 6-5 and eighth in the 13-team Big Sky. Montana is predicted to finish in the middle of the pack once again."
A lot of bickering here by the pro-Stitt crowd regarding this evaluation. The only thing I see that he got wrong is the date of the last NC, which is irrelevant to the point. Am I missing something other than it's not what that group wants to hear, particularly from outside eGriz....
:agree:

PlayerRep
Hall of Fame
Posts: 18772
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Yes, I agree that a good or very good qb is necessary and certainly very helpful to virtually any offense.

I also attribute the poorer seasons in Pflu's first year and Delaney's first year to not having the top UM qb that had experience and been expected to start.

I agree that a very good qb is almost always necessary to win most games, win the conference and advance far in the playoffs.

However, I don't think lack of a good or very good qb explains what happened in the last half of the season last year. For example, a good qb was not what allowed the Cats to consistently run against the Griz.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 18992
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
I am a fan of: The Sinkin' Ship!
Location: Texas

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by AZGrizFan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 pm

kemajic wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 pm
stubz406 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 am
"Coach: In 2015, Bob Stitt, 53, took over a successful program that made back-to-back appearances in the 2008 and ’09 Football Championship Subdivision title game, made seven playoff appearances since 2007 and hadn’t lost fewer than nine games in the two years before his arrival. However, the Griz, the 2004 Division I-AA national champions, have steadily declined under Stitt. They were 8-5 his first year and dropped to 6-5 and eighth in the 13-team Big Sky. Montana is predicted to finish in the middle of the pack once again."
A lot of bickering here by the pro-Stitt crowd regarding this evaluation. The only thing I see that he got wrong is the date of the last NC, which is irrelevant to the point. Am I missing something other than it's not what that group wants to hear, particularly from outside eGriz....
My issue is that 2 data points do not an analysis make. To say they've "steadily declined" is incorrect. Now, if they go 5-6 THIS year, then with three data points I would agree they've "steadily declined" and I'd support replacing the coaching staff. But if they go 8-3 (or at worst 7-4, which I expect) and make the playoffs, then their argument is moot. Either way, 2 data points isn't enough data to say what they said.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

Man1
4th String
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:56 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by Man1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm

kemajic wrote:
stubz406 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 am
"Coach: In 2015, Bob Stitt, 53, took over a successful program that made back-to-back appearances in the 2008 and ’09 Football Championship Subdivision title game, made seven playoff appearances since 2007 and hadn’t lost fewer than nine games in the two years before his arrival. However, the Griz, the 2004 Division I-AA national champions, have steadily declined under Stitt. They were 8-5 his first year and dropped to 6-5 and eighth in the 13-team Big Sky. Montana is predicted to finish in the middle of the pack once again."
A lot of bickering here by the pro-Stitt crowd regarding this evaluation. The only thing I see that he got wrong is the date of the last NC, which is irrelevant to the point. Am I missing something other than it's not what that group wants to hear, particularly from outside eGriz....
Agree





User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 18992
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
I am a fan of: The Sinkin' Ship!
Location: Texas

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by AZGrizFan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Griz are 1-1, with the following schedule left:

Savannah State - Win
EWU - Win (unless EWU suddenly finds itself this weekend)
@ PSU - probable loss, given the way they've played and we've played
@ ISU - Win (although we always seem to struggle there for some inexplicable reason)
UND - Tossup (I really don't think they're as good as they've appeared...guess we'll find out
@ WSU - Probable Win (again, they've looked tougher than expected...)
NAU - Probable Win
UNC - Win (revenge is a beautiful thing)
@MSU - Probable Win

Griz need to go 5-3 in conference to be in the playoffs. Those 5 wins are EWU, ISU, UNC, WSU and one of PSU, UND, NAU or MSU. I don't think that's too much to ask for from this team. And I'm confident that 7-4 (5-3) will get them into the playoffs. Side note: There's not a single game on our conference schedule that I don't think we can win. In order of difficulty (with what we know right now) I'd rank them @PSU, UND, NAU, MSU, WSU, EWU, UNC, ISU
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

PlayerRep
Hall of Fame
Posts: 18772
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 pm
kemajic wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 pm
stubz406 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 am
"Coach: In 2015, Bob Stitt, 53, took over a successful program that made back-to-back appearances in the 2008 and ’09 Football Championship Subdivision title game, made seven playoff appearances since 2007 and hadn’t lost fewer than nine games in the two years before his arrival. However, the Griz, the 2004 Division I-AA national champions, have steadily declined under Stitt. They were 8-5 his first year and dropped to 6-5 and eighth in the 13-team Big Sky. Montana is predicted to finish in the middle of the pack once again."
A lot of bickering here by the pro-Stitt crowd regarding this evaluation. The only thing I see that he got wrong is the date of the last NC, which is irrelevant to the point. Am I missing something other than it's not what that group wants to hear, particularly from outside eGriz....
My issue is that 2 data points do not an analysis make. To say they've "steadily declined" is incorrect. Now, if they go 5-6 THIS year, then with three data points I would agree they've "steadily declined" and I'd support replacing the coaching staff. But if they go 8-3 (or at worst 7-4, which I expect) and make the playoffs, then their argument is moot. Either way, 2 data points isn't enough data to say what they said.
However, one data point, i.e. the last half of last season and the loss in the last 2 games, is plenty of data to create significant concern.

Grizzoola
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 3685
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:03 pm
I am a fan of: UM, UNLV
Location: Henderson, NV

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by Grizzoola » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:37 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 am
... He is here to make a team that went through a bad patch of sub-par performances back to a place of dominance. I think you can count that as rebuilding. Whatever you want to call it we all know why hes here.
I agree w/ that, but I think the hiring of any new coach after the Engstrom fiasco was also to reestablish stability to the program, that the new coach, selected to the best of the admin's ability, should be given time to reestablish that stability.

I am not saying, "OK, let's have stability, even if it's mid-level BSC." No, it's however the admin determines the prime success of a team: competitiveness. Perhaps UM did not show sufficient competitiveness the end of last season. I think that's what the admin has its eye on: Will UM be competitive, at least, this and following seasons, with the chance of returning to former glory?

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 18992
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
I am a fan of: The Sinkin' Ship!
Location: Texas

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by AZGrizFan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 pm
kemajic wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 pm
stubz406 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 am
"Coach: In 2015, Bob Stitt, 53, took over a successful program that made back-to-back appearances in the 2008 and ’09 Football Championship Subdivision title game, made seven playoff appearances since 2007 and hadn’t lost fewer than nine games in the two years before his arrival. However, the Griz, the 2004 Division I-AA national champions, have steadily declined under Stitt. They were 8-5 his first year and dropped to 6-5 and eighth in the 13-team Big Sky. Montana is predicted to finish in the middle of the pack once again."
A lot of bickering here by the pro-Stitt crowd regarding this evaluation. The only thing I see that he got wrong is the date of the last NC, which is irrelevant to the point. Am I missing something other than it's not what that group wants to hear, particularly from outside eGriz....
My issue is that 2 data points do not an analysis make. To say they've "steadily declined" is incorrect. Now, if they go 5-6 THIS year, then with three data points I would agree they've "steadily declined" and I'd support replacing the coaching staff. But if they go 8-3 (or at worst 7-4, which I expect) and make the playoffs, then their argument is moot. Either way, 2 data points isn't enough data to say what they said.
However, one data point, i.e. the last half of last season and the loss in the last 2 games, is plenty of data to create significant concern.
Yes (although not the loss to UW), but that's quite different than "steadily declined". I don't want to get into another semantics discussion, though. :lol:
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

User avatar
bgbigdog
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 3231
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am
I am a fan of: Montana
Location: US

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by bgbigdog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 pm
kemajic wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 pm

A lot of bickering here by the pro-Stitt crowd regarding this evaluation. The only thing I see that he got wrong is the date of the last NC, which is irrelevant to the point. Am I missing something other than it's not what that group wants to hear, particularly from outside eGriz....
My issue is that 2 data points do not an analysis make. To say they've "steadily declined" is incorrect. Now, if they go 5-6 THIS year, then with three data points I would agree they've "steadily declined" and I'd support replacing the coaching staff. But if they go 8-3 (or at worst 7-4, which I expect) and make the playoffs, then their argument is moot. Either way, 2 data points isn't enough data to say what they said.
However, one data point, i.e. the last half of last season and the loss in the last 2 games, is plenty of data to create significant concern.
Yes (although not the loss to UW), but that's quite different than "steadily declined". I don't want to get into another semantics discussion, though. :lol:
Don't forget the last six quarters of year one when they did everything but finish strong. Leading 24-0, they hang on to beat SDSU @ home and completely fold against NDSU.
Coming to terms with being unsupervised while on the internet.

horribilisfan8184
Starter
Posts: 1183
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:08 am
I am a fan of: UM

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by horribilisfan8184 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Read this entire thread, and have concluded way too many people have way too much time on their hands. Arguing about insignificant minutiae seems to be the norm.

Big picture time.

Delaney was a nice guy but his teams under performed and the cupboard was left thin at many positions due to underwhelming recruiting. The times he was out coached and made boneheaded game decisions have been well hashed out for years. We lost to CC in the playoffs because an outstanding coach was prepared for cold and loud, and Griz predictability. Do you remember how many over the top long pass plays Ty's D gave up from late 1st qtr to halftime? I was disappointed with Mick's results more so than I have been with Stitt's. And Mick was a part of this team for a long time, and part of the culture that developed in the locker room. This is the first year the culture there is truly Stitt's. The process of getting to this point has been hell for Stitt, his coaches and his recruits, which seems to be ignored or dismissed by those who wanted someone else hired.

It's true, Stitt and his coaches have been given an education by many coaches at this level the last two years. But with Delaney's resume, he had no excuses. I suspect nobody knew the rocky road ahead for this team in 2016 better than the man who jumped ship, leaving and anchor out in his DC. Stitt inherited a depleted roster with scholarship losses that translate to more than 4 per year when spread into partials. Lots of our most beloved and successful players over the years have come from the walk on or partial scholly lists. How many diamonds in the rough were missed in the last 4 years?

Stitt's coaches have been very good at several things, including recruiting athletes who appear to be solid students and players. We are going to see as this season progresses whether they can coach these kids into top team performers. Everyone says for players to be great at this level they have to learn from their mistakes and have short memories about their bad performances in the last game. Yet those who don't like the Stitt hire won't give them the same courtesy.

I want Stitt and this team to succeed for themselves, not for me or the sake of egriz nation. I used to come here to learn about the team and more about the game of football, but can't seem to find much of it in all the constant juvenile pissing matches.

This is a young and talented team of players and coaches. I'm optimistic they will figure it out but the one thing that is overlooked by just about everyone who posts is that this is not the same football scene as back in the Read-Hauck eras. We tapped a recruiting pool of more I-A (FBS) quality recruits and transfers than other BSC teams and won with far superior talent. Other BSC teams have figured this out and we no longer have that edge. NDSU has been full of Big 10 quality talent the last 10 years, especially kids from Minnesota that wanted to play on a winner (not the Gophers) and still play close to home so their parents can watch them play. Other MVC teams have caught on and that gap is closing. But the teams in the FCS final 4 all have this talent gap in their favor.

If Stitt's recruiting classes turn out to be as good on the field as they are on paper we will have that edge again. This year will let us know if that is happening, and if it is, we are in good hands. In the meantime, last year's record doesn't mean sh*t to this years' or the next years' or the next years' teams success. It only means something to those posters who never wanted Stitt in the first place, and that is one selfish priority.

And one last thing about Stitt's offense. Like every other offensive scheme, it does not have a chance without great Oline play. If this was the pros, Stitt could buy an instant Oline much like the Vikings did in the off season. It looks better this year, but when a senior center who calls the line assignments is 10 yards down field on a pass play that negates a TD, it tells me issues are not just size and speed. I've watched our running backs hit the hole before the pulling line man several times this year, where if the lineman gets to the linebacker first the play goes for a big gain. Because we have a very good line coach I am hopeful these things can be cleaned up. But the skill players can't fully shine until they are cleaned up.

Ok, back to the minutiae. I'm ready for my beating. And I know, tonight I have way too much time on my hands.

User avatar
uofmman1122
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:13 pm
I am a fan of: Metrosexual Uniforms
Location: Missoula

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by uofmman1122 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:23 pm

That post should go over well. :lol:

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 18992
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
I am a fan of: The Sinkin' Ship!
Location: Texas

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by AZGrizFan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:30 pm

bgbigdog wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 pm


My issue is that 2 data points do not an analysis make. To say they've "steadily declined" is incorrect. Now, if they go 5-6 THIS year, then with three data points I would agree they've "steadily declined" and I'd support replacing the coaching staff. But if they go 8-3 (or at worst 7-4, which I expect) and make the playoffs, then their argument is moot. Either way, 2 data points isn't enough data to say what they said.
However, one data point, i.e. the last half of last season and the loss in the last 2 games, is plenty of data to create significant concern.
Yes (although not the loss to UW), but that's quite different than "steadily declined". I don't want to get into another semantics discussion, though. :lol:
Don't forget the last six quarters of year one when they did everything but finish strong. Leading 24-0, they hang on to beat SDSU @ home and completely fold against NDSU.
Based on THAT sample set EWU should go 0-11 this year.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

PlayerRep
Hall of Fame
Posts: 18772
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 pm

horribilisfan8184 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 pm
Read this entire thread, and have concluded way too many people have way too much time on their hands. Arguing about insignificant minutiae seems to be the norm.

Big picture time.

Delaney was a nice guy but his teams under performed and the cupboard was left thin at many positions due to underwhelming recruiting. The times he was out coached and made boneheaded game decisions have been well hashed out for years. We lost to CC in the playoffs because an outstanding coach was prepared for cold and loud, and Griz predictability. Do you remember how many over the top long pass plays Ty's D gave up from late 1st qtr to halftime? I was disappointed with Mick's results more so than I have been with Stitt's. And Mick was a part of this team for a long time, and part of the culture that developed in the locker room. This is the first year the culture there is truly Stitt's. The process of getting to this point has been hell for Stitt, his coaches and his recruits, which seems to be ignored or dismissed by those who wanted someone else hired.

It's true, Stitt and his coaches have been given an education by many coaches at this level the last two years. But with Delaney's resume, he had no excuses. I suspect nobody knew the rocky road ahead for this team in 2016 better than the man who jumped ship, leaving and anchor out in his DC. Stitt inherited a depleted roster with scholarship losses that translate to more than 4 per year when spread into partials. Lots of our most beloved and successful players over the years have come from the walk on or partial scholly lists. How many diamonds in the rough were missed in the last 4 years?

Stitt's coaches have been very good at several things, including recruiting athletes who appear to be solid students and players. We are going to see as this season progresses whether they can coach these kids into top team performers. Everyone says for players to be great at this level they have to learn from their mistakes and have short memories about their bad performances in the last game. Yet those who don't like the Stitt hire won't give them the same courtesy.

I want Stitt and this team to succeed for themselves, not for me or the sake of egriz nation. I used to come here to learn about the team and more about the game of football, but can't seem to find much of it in all the constant juvenile pissing matches.

This is a young and talented team of players and coaches. I'm optimistic they will figure it out but the one thing that is overlooked by just about everyone who posts is that this is not the same football scene as back in the Read-Hauck eras. We tapped a recruiting pool of more I-A (FBS) quality recruits and transfers than other BSC teams and won with far superior talent. Other BSC teams have figured this out and we no longer have that edge. NDSU has been full of Big 10 quality talent the last 10 years, especially kids from Minnesota that wanted to play on a winner (not the Gophers) and still play close to home so their parents can watch them play. Other MVC teams have caught on and that gap is closing. But the teams in the FCS final 4 all have this talent gap in their favor.

If Stitt's recruiting classes turn out to be as good on the field as they are on paper we will have that edge again. This year will let us know if that is happening, and if it is, we are in good hands. In the meantime, last year's record doesn't mean sh*t to this years' or the next years' or the next years' teams success. It only means something to those posters who never wanted Stitt in the first place, and that is one selfish priority.

And one last thing about Stitt's offense. Like every other offensive scheme, it does not have a chance without great Oline play. If this was the pros, Stitt could buy an instant Oline much like the Vikings did in the off season. It looks better this year, but when a senior center who calls the line assignments is 10 yards down field on a pass play that negates a TD, it tells me issues are not just size and speed. I've watched our running backs hit the hole before the pulling line man several times this year, where if the lineman gets to the linebacker first the play goes for a big gain. Because we have a very good line coach I am hopeful these things can be cleaned up. But the skill players can't fully shine until they are cleaned up.

Ok, back to the minutiae. I'm ready for my beating. And I know, tonight I have way too much time on my hands.
How can you say such dumb and incorrect stuff. Your first 2 sentences have no basis in fact. Just not true. You truly don't understand the game of football. Almost everything that you post is off base. When Delaney had a qb, his teams were good. What position did he leave the cupboard empty? When was he outc oached?

"Delaney was a nice guy but his teams under performed and the cupboard was left thin at many positions due to underwhelming recruiting. The times he was out coached and made boneheaded game decisions have been well hashed out for years. "

To answer your question about how many long passes the UM D gave up from the late first quarter to halftime, the answer is zero. UM gave up one pass over 20 yards the entire game, and that one occurred early in the first quarter.

Like I said, you just make up stuff and don't have a clue about the game of football.

Post Reply