• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Zach Schacht Verbal Commit (Sort of)

He is a project no doubt at at this point, but he has a full year of high school to improve, and he will likely improve with a redshirt year. His problems are correctable with good coaching and body development. This is a solid big guy to get. Now just need a solid wing and maybe fill that last scholarship with a high level transfer and we will be sitting very well in my opinion. TD is doing a great job on the recruiting trail.

dayday said:
He is a project no doubt at at this point, but he has a full year of high school to improve, and he will likely improve with a redshirt year. His problems are correctable with good coaching and body development. This is a solid big guy to get. Now just need a solid wing and maybe fill that last scholarship with a high level transfer and we will be sitting very well in my opinion. TD is doing a great job on the recruiting trail.

Right now, Schacht is a walk on. That will serve for more motivation his SR year. I'm sure he'd love go from a walk on to scholarship player.

From what I have seen of him and heard from others. The potential is there it just hasn't been consistent. I think a big part of that was due to the kind of work he was putting in. Sounds like he got challenged by the coaching staff this offseason and has risen to the occasion. Only time will tell. The good news is it looks like with the depth we will have at that position we won't need him to contribute right away. That always bodes well for big men.

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
Btown said:
Have seen this kid play a ton and he is definitely not a D1 talent. His 6-11 frame is all he has got, believe me. Get him away from the basket 5 feet and he is useless.

I’ll take Decuire’s opinion... :roll:

:thumb: :lol:
Big mistake on TD's part. I questioned the Anderson decision from the get-go and this one is even worse. This kid can barely dominate vs HS kids let alone Big Sky opponents, if he develops over a couple years. No basketball IQ and relies only on his size. Like I said, move him away from the hoop 5 feet and he becomes useless with no beef to produce inside. Schatt and Anderson will both end up in the Frontier Conference eventually - save this post. :thumb:

Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
Btown said:
Have seen this kid play a ton and he is definitely not a D1 talent. His 6-11 frame is all he has got, believe me. Get him away from the basket 5 feet and he is useless.

Big mistake on TD's part. I questioned the Anderson decision from the get-go and this one is even worse. This kid can barely dominate vs HS kids let alone Big Sky opponents, if he develops over a couple years. No basketball IQ and relies only on his size. Like I said, move him away from the hoop 5 feet and he becomes useless with no beef to produce inside. Schatt and Anderson will both end up in the Frontier Conference eventually - save this post. :thumb:

We'll see and I have no inside info or talent assessment. Ever go to a game? 12 or 13 guys suited up and on scholly and 8 or 9 play. There is room for project scholarship players that may develop, may not. Rarely a "big" mistake to have an extra big guy with some athleticism on the roster. If they compare with others the Griz feel they can recruit successfully, I say see if these MT kids can develop and play. This isn't Duke or Kentucky......and even those teams have guys that never see the floor for meaningful minutes.

Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
Btown said:

You may very well be right, but you can't teach height. Everything else is learnable. I'll take the chance he develops. :thumb:

Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
Btown said:

I know one thing about Travis---He is the Coach. I know one thing about you---you are not.

There were the same questions about Kramer and he has really developed. He’ll likely contribute this year so I trust TD here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maroonandsilver said:
Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

I know one thing about Travis---He is the Coach. I know one thing about you---you are not.
Brilliant observation. MSU Grad?

Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
Btown said:

By no means a basketball expert but have to agree with your observation and Frontier prediction.

rosco said:
Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

By no means a basketball expert but have to agree with your observation and Frontier prediction.

Agree that it's always possible, heck look at the recruits he got last season...one went to D2 and was supposed to be our shooter. A lot happens as you get to this level. Perhaps they are hoping to develop them into role players that fill a need for depth AND give a Montana presence to the roster. I am also no coach or evaluate basketball talent regularly, but based on the video I've watched, I'd say Anderson is a better player with more potential than Schacht. But as was said before, you can't teach height. You can teach tall kids skills though.

Btown said:
maroonandsilver said:
Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:

Brilliant observation. MSU Grad?

Nope. 2 Degrees from UM, plus a DD-214. You got one of those?

I do know this. The BB Team had Anderson in for a few days earlier in June and were excited about how he looked. Statement from the Staff is that he could play right away if necessary, but they would like to red-shirt him.

Recruiting a center at a Mid-Major school requires that a coach takes a chance on a kid who is not a big-time player in high school. The number of stud 6'10"+ high school kids across the nation is very limited, and all of them will be going to the top 60-70 programs. But, a few of these bigs who get over-looked end up developing after high school, and are well worth taking a flier on. Montana has recruited several of these "projects" in the past few years, and none of them have worked out. If this kid DOES develop, we could have something special. I'd say about a 10% chance that he becomes a starter here. Still, it is worth the gamble because of the upside of having a 6'11" center who has game.

4theluvofgriz said:
Montana has recruited several of these "projects" in the past few years, and none of them have worked out. If this kid DOES develop, we could have something special. I'd say about a 10% chance that he becomes a starter here. Still, it is worth the gamble because of the upside of having a 6'11" center who has game.

Would one refer Daren Engellant, out of Class "C" Geradine, a "project," as well, all things considered equal: http://www.ktvh.com/2016/08/mttop50-no-14-size-led-to-success-for-daren-and-kevin-engellant

I don’t like disparage anyone but my sources tell me that Zach has been seen by the coaching staff and their feeling is he would not be a good fit for the program at this time. After another year of high school and maturity and skill development this may change.

Sport said:
I don’t like disparage anyone but my sources tell me that Zach has been seen by the coaching staff and their feeling is he would not be a good fit for the program at this time. After another year of high school and maturity and skill development this may change.

So are you saying he did NOT commit? Or that they didn't accept his verbal? :? :?

AZGrizFan said:
Sport said:

So are you saying he did NOT commit? Or that they didn't accept his verbal? :? :?

At this point, Schacht is only a walk on player. A lot can happen, either way, in the next year. If he develops and works hard like Anderson has, he will be a solid addition. I do feel he will need a few years to mature, as a player.

Sport said:

I have been trying to get ahold of everyone involved to do a full story about the grey area and miscommunication...but I can confirm through sources close to the program, Schacht does not hold a scholarship offer nor has he verbally committed to any scholarship offer from the Montana coaching staff at this time.

Back