• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

WR Talk

BWahlberg said:
I say play the best guys we've got, and if Gabe can be a regular contributor that adds to more points on the board all season long, then let it rock.

With so many other groups up in the air, the WR corps is stacked with playmakers and some guys who are awesome leaders on the team as well.

"With so many other groups up in the air, the WR corps is stacked with playmakers"........which is exactly why we don't need another true frosh in the mix. If Bobby red-shirts him, you'll be happy he did 4 years from now. Trust me!

Two years ago Taylor looked like the best athlete at WR, thought he would pan out better last year. hope he can make a positive impact this year.

Diesel said:
Two years ago Taylor looked like the best athlete at WR, thought he would pan out better last year. hope he can make a positive impact this year.

I’m not sure Taylor will ever recover from dropping the gimme TD pass against EWU. :oops:

Paytonlives said:
I think Groff and Germer "redshirt" But keep in mind the 4 game "red shirt" I bet every frosh plays this year aside from maybe a QB or S/DB.

If game 2 vs Drake at home is a blowout early... look for ALOT of Frosh to play in that game... empty the benches time

Every fresh definitely won’t play. They won’t dress every true freshman. I bet they only dress a few, maybe even just Sulser

WaGriz4life said:
Paytonlives said:
I think Groff and Germer "redshirt" But keep in mind the 4 game "red shirt" I bet every frosh plays this year aside from maybe a QB or S/DB.

If game 2 vs Drake at home is a blowout early... look for ALOT of Frosh to play in that game... empty the benches time

Every fresh definitely won’t play. They won’t dress every true freshman. I bet they only dress a few, maybe even just Sulser

We will see... But yes I still think they all get at least a few plays or more during a home game this year...

4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Ya know I shouldn't have left him out. he is a good WR. We are just so deep at WR. JLM and Sulser will spend slot time. Toure could as well. Toure, Akem and Curran will spend a lot of time outside. Roberts will cycle in. Flowers is just gonna have to fight with Curran and Toure and Akem to get PT and its gonna be hard. He is worthy of playing though. We wont see much 4 wide this year. We will see a lot of 3 WR and a TE or 2 WR and TE. Got to remember that the OL will need help and we are also very deep at RB. Many sets will have a TE and either 2 RBs or a RB and FB.

Which is exactly my point in red-shirting Sulser. We don't need Sulser this season. Why waste a once-in-10 years type of athlete in a season where we will not be a factor? Look to the future. How great would it be four years from now having Sulser still eligible when we are playing for a National Championship??? I assure you that many will be lamenting the fact that we burned his eligibility this season come 4 years from now. If we really needed him this year, that would be different. But we don't.

It's not about the need. Its about the fact he might be one of the best recievers we have on the team THIS year. If he is...he is going to play. If you can rotate him and JLM that is a big + to the team. Maybe he wont be up to it and he will redshirt but if he as good as he seems so far. He is gonna play and he is gonna make an impact. you don't hold talent back just to do so. Redshirts are for developing players not pausing their growth

Pausing their growth? We can argue the pluses and minuses forever, but I go back to three key points: 1) We have 5,6, or 7 very good (if not great) WRs without Sulser. There can not be much drop-off from him as a true frosh compared to our top 5-7 guys 2) I have no doubt that our team will be MUCH STRONGER 3-4 years from now than the one Bobby inherited, so why waste a year of his eligibility on a team not strong enough to compete for a NC? 3) I don't think anyone would disagree that Sulser would be much better as a 5th-year senior than he will be as a true frosh.

Again, just my opinion. Sulser is a rare talent who comes along infrequently. Play him in his 4 games..... but don't be tempted to play him enough to lose his red-shirt year.

I disagree with your 5th year because we cant even promise he will be here for a 5th year. we can promise he is here for year 1.

mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Which is exactly my point in red-shirting Sulser. We don't need Sulser this season. Why waste a once-in-10 years type of athlete in a season where we will not be a factor? Look to the future. How great would it be four years from now having Sulser still eligible when we are playing for a National Championship??? I assure you that many will be lamenting the fact that we burned his eligibility this season come 4 years from now. If we really needed him this year, that would be different. But we don't.

It's not about the need. Its about the fact he might be one of the best recievers we have on the team THIS year. If he is...he is going to play. If you can rotate him and JLM that is a big + to the team. Maybe he wont be up to it and he will redshirt but if he as good as he seems so far. He is gonna play and he is gonna make an impact. you don't hold talent back just to do so. Redshirts are for developing players not pausing their growth

Pausing their growth? We can argue the pluses and minuses forever, but I go back to three key points: 1) We have 5,6, or 7 very good (if not great) WRs without Sulser. There can not be much drop-off from him as a true frosh compared to our top 5-7 guys 2) I have no doubt that our team will be MUCH STRONGER 3-4 years from now than the one Bobby inherited, so why waste a year of his eligibility on a team not strong enough to compete for a NC? 3) I don't think anyone would disagree that Sulser would be much better as a 5th-year senior than he will be as a true frosh.

Again, just my opinion. Sulser is a rare talent who comes along infrequently. Play him in his 4 games..... but don't be tempted to play him enough to lose his red-shirt year.

I disagree with your 5th year because we cant even promise he will be here for a 5th year. we can promise he is here for year 1.

Hell, none of us know we will be here in 5 years! So, burn him this season, when we are going nowhere, because there is a slight chance he will not be here in 5 years??? Not my logic. Now that Thayne Jackson is gone, it is the nail in the coffin for this season. No team wins without a solid O-line, and ours will be too young and inexperienced to be factor. Let's just waste a re-building year on Sulser. Makes sense to me!

4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Hell, none of us know we will be here in 5 years! So, burn him this season, when we are going nowhere, because there is a slight chance he will not be here in 5 years??? Not my logic. Now that Thayne Jackson is gone, it is the nail in the coffin for this season. No team wins without a solid O-line, and ours will be too young and inexperienced to be factor. Let's just waste a re-building year on Sulser. Makes sense to me!

You may be right, but I am far from giving up on the season or the o-line. I think there's a lot of talent and desire on this team. The players, especially the upper class men, are not looking down the road. They want to win this season. I'll take a team with huge desire, some talent, and good coaching anytime.

We will know a lot more after the first game. I think the team may have improved at every position and special teams from last year, except o-line and linebacker (especially without Buss), and d-line and corner are probably a push.

UM has had young o-lineman step up before. At least at times, there will be true TE's and fullbacks on the field. I was told that Bingham was the best blocker in AA football is senior year. Receivers will block better this season.

I think the offense will be more consistent, even if it is less prolific. I sure hope the D does not give up so many big plays.

I have never heard of a team having a big drop off because it lost one o-lineman. The frosh Reese can close to holding his own against the NSDU stud d-end in his first or second start ever. Reese weighed only 255 at the time.

4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

It would make more sense to redshirt him under that logic. Anyways, a couple of years ago Eastern started redshirt freshman like 3 or 4 on OL and they were in the playoffs. My point is that the season is not lost just because of inexperience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's give the coaches a chance to coach these guys up before we all get excited here. R-E-L-A-X

PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:

You may be right, but I am far from giving up on the season or the o-line. I think there's a lot of talent and desire on this team. The players, especially the upper class men, are not looking down the road. They want to win this season. I'll take a team with huge desire, some talent, and good coaching anytime.

We will know a lot more after the first game. I think the team may have improved at every position and special teams from last year, except o-line and linebacker (especially without Buss), and d-line and corner are probably a push.

UM has had young o-lineman step up before. At least at times, there will be true TE's and fullbacks on the field. I was told that Bingham was the best blocker in AA football is senior year. Receivers will block better this season.

I think the offense will be more consistent, even if it is less prolific. I sure hope the D does not give up so many big plays.

I have never heard of a team having a big drop off because it lost one o-lineman. The frosh Reese can close to holding his own against the NSDU stud d-end in his first or second start ever. Reese weighed only 255 at the time.

All of us want to win RIGHT NOW....... that is new mantra in America for everything, instant gratification. You played college football, so you must understand that having a solid O-line is much more than having some young kids who are athletic, and who will be very good when they mature and gain strength and experience. A great line depends on making reads, picking up blitzers, knowing when to double a defender, etc. That comes with experience, and playing together as a unit for a long period of time. Lines are more of a team concept rather than one-on-one match-ups, much of the time. Young linemen miss assignments too often, causing losses and QB sacks, thus disrupting drives.

I am a realist, and understand why the Big Sky coaches picked us 7th in the conference. Pre-season excitement is great, but the reality of the holes in our roster, including lack of depth at 2-3 key positions will emerge for all to see, I'm afraid. One caveat is..... the O-line should be a real strength next season, as they all return. Losing Jackson is a huge blow IMO, as I think he would have been the best lineman on the team if he played.

4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

All of us want to win RIGHT NOW....... that is new mantra in America for everything, instant gratification. You played college football, so you must understand that having a solid O-line is much more than having some young kids who are athletic, and who will be very good when they mature and gain strength and experience. A great line depends on making reads, picking up blitzers, knowing when to double a defender, etc. That comes with experience, and playing together as a unit for a long period of time. Lines are more of a team concept rather than one-on-one match-ups, much of the time. Young linemen miss assignments too often, causing losses and QB sacks, thus disrupting drives.

I am a realist, and understand why the Big Sky coaches picked us 7th in the conference. Pre-season excitement is great, but the reality of the holes in our roster, including lack of depth at 2-3 key positions will emerge for all to see, I'm afraid. One caveat is..... the O-line should be a real strength next season, as they all return. Losing Jackson is a huge blow IMO, as I think he would have been the best lineman on the team if he played.

I don't come from the premise of wanting to win now. That has nothing to do with my comments or my view.

I think the team has the potential to be good. I may be wrong.

I never write off a season. Teams with strong desire and heart, and some talent, have the potential to win a lot of games.

I don't agree that only veteran or experienced o-lineman can be good. David Reese was a starter and pretty good right away. Cody Balogh started as a true frosh. Lots of UM redshirt soph o-lineman have been starters and very good. The young UM o-lineman are generally big and athletic, and have been working under the same strength coach since they arrived. There has apparently been more emphasis on strength and weight since BH arrived. The younger o-lineman got all the reps in spring ball. I have high confidence in Germer.

PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:

I don't come from the premise of wanting to win now. That has nothing to do with my comments or my view.

I never write off a season. Teams with strong desire and heart, and some talent, have the potential to win a lot of games.

I don't agree that only veteran or experienced o-lineman can be good. David Reese was a starter and pretty good right away. Cody Balogh started as a true frosh. Lots of UM redshirt soph o-lineman have been starters and very good. The young UM o-lineman are generally big and athletic, and have been working under the same strength coach since they arrived. There has apparently been more emphasis on strength and weight since BH arrived. The younger o-lineman got all the reps in spring ball. I have high confidence in Germer.

:thumb: i can get on board with this outlook

I realize that I have been harping on our lack of depth at key positions as a reason we may not be a factor this season. I had been told from an individual close to the team that the coaches were more worried about the lack of depth than they were the starters. That is not to say that we don't have some quality athletes behind the starters, but they are very young, and most have little or no experience. The quote below from Bobby shows that depth is a concern:

"If you're going to have a good team, you need to have good depth," Montana coach Bobby Hauck said. "We all talk daily and we have a tendency to focus on the first group, but if you're going to have a successful season, you have to have depth.

"You have to have good players into your two-deep at every position or else you're going to wind up struggling at times."

Where does UM not have good depth, other than o-line and linebacker?

Note that the o-line usually doesn't play a 2-deep. They play 7 or 8 players and move them around.

PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Our offense will score tons of points, book it, bet the over. Bobby will break teams we shouldn’t beat, 9-2 this year.

People are putting way too much pressure on the Oline. I get how important it is but we will do things to negate it with Dalton.

Rosie is going to get the ball out quick. To Jerry, Sulser, Curran, Bingham, Akeem.....

WaGriz4life said:
PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Our offense will score tons of points, book it, bet the over. Bobby will break teams we shouldn’t beat, 9-2 this year.
I like the way you think. :thumb:

4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Maybe in 4 years our o-line will suck and we wont have a QB! maybe we should redshirt him then!! All I'm literally telling you how coaches look at a redshirt and figure out if they play them or sit them and you just wanna argue cause you think the all important 5th year senior means something. It doesn't....The best players usually are never 5th year seniors. everyone thought stitt would have a really good team his 3rd year...he didn't...talent wise it was about the same as his first. What if we redshirted Buss because...oh well be great 5 years from now and he will be more important.(hint: That's not what happened) now look at the situation. Once again its dependent on balancing all the factors and if Sulser will compete and make the team better...maybe coaches don't think he will and so he will redshirt, but they will make a RATIONAL decision. That is the key between good decision making and poor decision making in almost every aspect of life. are you, are they, are we making RATIONAL decisions based on the information. just redshirting most or all freshman because 5th year seniors are "better" and we will be "better" is not a RATIONAL decision

mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Maybe in 4 years our o-line will suck and we wont have a QB! maybe we should redshirt him then!! All I'm literally telling you how coaches look at a redshirt and figure out if they play them or sit them and you just wanna argue cause you think the all important 5th year senior means something. It doesn't....The best players usually are never 5th year seniors. everyone thought stitt would have a really good team his 3rd year...he didn't...talent wise it was about the same as his first. What if we redshirted Buss because...oh well be great 5 years from now and he will be more important.(hint: That's not what happened) now look at the situation. Once again its dependent on balancing all the factors and if Sulser will compete and make the team better...maybe coaches don't think he will and so he will redshirt, but they will make a RATIONAL decision. That is the key between good decision making and poor decision making in almost every aspect of life. are you, are they, are we making RATIONAL decisions based on the information. just redshirting most or all freshman because 5th year seniors are "better" and we will be "better" is not a RATIONAL decision

I believe Buss redshirted. What if UM hadn't redshirted him? He would have had 4 full years, and not a questionable senior year. Ha.

Latest posts

Back