• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why no top notch QB's at UM?

greasewood

Is it because of poor O line play, poor recruiting, poor QB & OC coaches or what?

Lucas Johnson was good, but I expected more. Of course he was injured more than once, but I expected him to light things up like we haven't seen in a long time.
Humphreys was also good, winning every game he started & finished without being injured. Solid but not a great QB.
Sneed was good, but I expected more out of him, too.

How did Eastern get top recruits when we didn't? How did Idaho get their current QB & we didn't? Etc, etc.

Why do so many of our QB recruits end up playing defense?

Is it our coaches aren't good at developing QB's?

I think you have to point the fingers at the offensive coaches. Because there is a lack of development as well as a completely inadequate offensive play calling. There doesn't seem to be any coherent offensive strategy or creative use of offensive weapons. So even if we had a top notch talent at QB it might not seem like we did because the play calling didn't let them shine. To the lack of development just look at how the coaches have completely wasted Kris Brown's talent. Instead of addressing and improving the weaknesses of his game, specifically is lack of pocket presence, they ignore it and it has gotten worse. Instead of play calls that play to his strengths or allowing for simple reads to build his confidence in games, they put him in uncomfortable positions, make him throw low percentage passes (deep sideline throws) and call late developing plays that allow pressure to get to him. They could have had him do bootlegs and roll out plays, they could have had quick short to medium plays over the middle, but they refused to call any of those plays for him. And because of that his confidence was tanked and we all gave up on him. I think this has happened with all of our young QBs lately. We don't have the dominant o-line or run game to allow our quarterbacks to breathe, and we don't have the creative playcalling to allow them to comfortably throw. These factors mean that even if we recruited the next Joe Montana his talent would be squandered under these coaches.

Griz til I die said:
What makes you think Vidlak won't be good?

What makes you think he will be?

Do you think he will start?
Do you think he will stay healthy?
Do you think he will get the ball into the hands of the known play-makers on offense?
Do you think he will facilitate a deep-ball threat?
Do you think he will be among the top 3 in the BSC in total offense?
Do you think he will minimize mistakes (fumbles/interceptions)?

If yes - why?

Asking, because I don't understand the optimism for the future - given the recent past and minimal coaching changes.

...3 reasons...
...#1..kids like to play in front of family...
...#2..kids like to play in front of friends...
...#3..that combination make it hard to recruit...

... :shock: ...

p..s..works on all sports at montana...

zootownrox said:
To the lack of development just look at how the coaches have completely wasted Kris Brown's talent. Instead of addressing and improving the weaknesses of his game, specifically is lack of pocket presence, they ignore it and it has gotten worse.

I laughed.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Do you think he will get the ball into the hands of the known play-makers on offense?

If yes - why?

Asking, because I don't understand the optimism for the future - given the recent past and minimal coaching changes.

Yes to all. Why?

I have a good feeling about this. That's all I'm gonna tell ya.

HelenaHandBasket said:
zootownrox said:
To the lack of development just look at how the coaches have completely wasted Kris Brown's talent. Instead of addressing and improving the weaknesses of his game, specifically is lack of pocket presence, they ignore it and it has gotten worse.

I laughed.

Yes. I stopped reading right there.

What this board REALLY needed was another thread bashing the cumulative QB talent on the Griz over the past 8-10 years.

Remember that short, scrawny dude from Great Falls we recruited. Like 5'3 and 134 pounds? Plus he's a redhead, yuck. Only won games because of the defense and all the offensive weapons overcoming his shortfalls. Pun intended. Barely did anything after college anyway. Played somewhere with walruses and blizzards and maple syrup. Maybe someday we can finally get a real player at QB in this place.

Until we see a change in our QB coach and OC, we won't see these talented young men that we have been getting develop. I don't think quality recruits are the problem. I think we have had talented competitors since Hauck and company have been back. Unfortunately in my unqualified (I'm only a fan) opinion, Rosie sucks. At least three of the best high school QB's to come out of Montana in the last 5 years have played for the Griz. Two switched to defense and one has had to take the social media beating that is most certainly unfair. I would really like to see us switch Peas to QB coach and OC. He's 10x the coach that Rosie is. Again, my opinion as a fan. No qualifications other than I love the Griz!

KDyrud said:
Remember that short, scrawny dude from Great Falls we recruited. Like 5'3 and 134 pounds? Plus he's a redhead, yuck. Only won games because of the defense and all the offensive weapons overcoming his shortfalls. Pun intended. Barely did anything after college anyway. Played somewhere with walruses and blizzards and maple syrup. Maybe someday we can finally get a real player at QB in this place.

Sir, you are expected to kneel at the UNDSU altar before you mention the immortal Dave.

greasewood said:
Is it because of poor O line play, poor recruiting, poor QB & OC coaches or what?

Lucas Johnson was good, but I expected more. Of course he was injured more than once, but I expected him to light things up like we haven't seen in a long time.
Humphreys was also good, winning every game he started & finished without being injured. Solid but not a great QB.
Sneed was good, but I expected more out of him, too.

How did Eastern get top recruits when we didn't? How did Idaho get their current QB & we didn't? Etc, etc.

Why do so many of our QB recruits end up playing defense?

Is it our coaches aren't good at developing QB's?

You do get that on about 90% of MT High School Football teams the QB is simply the best athlete on the team? You do get that QB's on most MT High School Football teams also play defense? TA is a prime example and although abused at QB and RB at MSU is now solely a LB in the pros. Its not rocket science here. And guys like Kris Brown rarely face a fully capable secondary in High School. Plus, the receivers in HS have the advantage.

I don't think its a skill player problem. If we had the horses up front everything would run easier on offense. Until we have that Bobby's offensive philosophy, doesn't work so well. It would be nice to open the playbook up to at least keep the opposing D's off balance and guessing.

KDyrud said:

I totally get your comparison since absolutely nothing has changed over the last 30 years.

HelenaHandBasket said:
zootownrox said:

I laughed.

I am glad. What specifically do you all disagree with? I was using our most recent young quarterback as an example of the play calling and development. Do you all think our QB development and play calling have been stupendous lately?

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

If yes - why?

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Not sure why you’re such a pessimist. Hope springs eternal every year. Past performance doesn’t equal future results. Maybe you need to take a break from being a Griz fan because you don’t really sound like one anyway anymore . To much downer syndrome in you.

zootownrox said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I laughed.

I am glad. What specifically do you all disagree with? I was using our most recent young quarterback as an example of the play calling and development. Do you all think our QB development and play calling have been stupendous lately?

I can't talk for everybody, but for the 98%, using Brown as the basis of your argument.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

If yes - why?

Yes to all. Why?

C'mon man...give me some of that skittles and rainbow outlook; stop hoarding it.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Yes to all. Why?

C'mon man...give me some of that skittles and rainbow outlook; stop hoarding it.

[media]https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1677039365683077[/media]

HelenaHandBasket said:
zootownrox said:

I can't talk for everybody, but for the 98%, using Brown as the basis of your argument.

In what way? I never said he was top notch, that was my point.

zootownrox said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

In what way? I never said he was top notch, that was my point.

You do believe they wasted his talent, and I don't believe many feel the same way. Most feel they wasted the talent of others by giving reps to Brown.

Back