• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who’s your favorite #37?

Doesn’t top the charts by any means but Featherston really had a nice career for the Griz. Even as a younger player he made plenty of big plays.

garizzalies said:
Not best. Favorite.
Mine owns a ring, a huge smile, and the best ski hill in MT.
I happen to think he was the best too but I’m a bit biased. Saw him the other day and I totally fan-boy’d like Vim at the MILF camp when the golden shower event came up.

Spent a lot of time skiing Discovery myself.

My favorite 37 was handed it from Tim Hauck,, and was the first to wear it for four years (after being passed down from Paulson).

TODD ERICSON, Varsity Letterman X 4
6-3, 205, FREE SAFETY, from BUTTE, MONTANA.
First team All-Big Sky Conference X 3
Golden Helmet Award (Hardest Hitter) X 3
All-American X 2
Team Captain X 3
297 Tackles

Going into his Junior season:

When Todd came here (defensive coordinator) Jerome Souers had great expectations for him, and we had him ear-marked to become our free safety,” said Griz head coach Don Read. “In fact, he even got number 37 from former free safety (All-American) Timmy Hauck. He plays a lot like Timmy for that matter. “The thing about Todd Ericson, a former quarterback and former team captain at Butte High School, is that he’s used to winning, he’s used to making big plays, and competing under pressure,” Read said. “He’s done that for us and then some. But, above and beyond those things, he has great physical and mental tools. He’s been timed at 4.57 in the 40, and has excellent size. He has the frame to come up and support run and really bang you, and also has the speed to run with any receiver.“Todd is the center-fielder in our coverage. He’s a complete player, and I have not coached many athletes who can do the things that he can do — I can count them on one hand,” Read said. “He is just a tremendous football player, and I just can’t say enough about him.”

Going into Senior season:

"He's so darn durable and tough -- he can really hit you." said head coach Don Read. "He's like a linebacker playing free safety , but his range is so good, because he can run so well sideline-to-sideline. Plus, his jumping ability, and his ability to make a play on the ball are just remarkable. Another thing about him, is you put him in man-to-man coverage, and he can do that as well as anyone around." "Todd Ericson is a former quarterback and a former team captain for Butte High School, and he's used to winning, he's used to making plays, and he's used to competing under pressure." Read said. "He has all the abilities you need, whether you're talking about size, speed or intelligence. He's a great football player, with great work habits, an excellent leader, and really has the respect of his teammates." "There are very few safeties in the country that have the assets that Todd has," Read said. "The tendency of the pros is not to draft safeties, or at least they do in limited numbers, but Todd is one of those guys they will look at. I believe he is a draft-able guy,, and he will play in the NFL. And I believe is one of the best free safeties, abilities-wise that I've been around, and two of the best I've coached., Tracy Eaton (Atlanta Falcons) and Tim Hauck (Green Bay Packers) are playing in the NFL right now."

GrizTexas said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I’ll expand just because, plus, we need more to talk about here. Favorite non 37 who could’a been a 37.

Offense-Chase
Defensive-Colt

So who wore the "37" when they were playing?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Lorren Utterback gave it to Carson Bender for the ‘08 season which was Colt’s Sr season. Since Carson was a So, he had it through ‘10 which was Chase’s Sr season. I also believe most will agree Carson was the most unproductive #37 we’ve had.

alabamagrizzly said:
GrizTexas said:
So who wore the "37" when they were playing?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Lorren Utterback gave it to Carson Bender for the ‘08 season which was Colt’s Sr season. Since Carson was a So, he had it through ‘10 which was Chase’s Sr season. I also believe most will agree Carson was the most unproductive #37 we’ve had.

Still hard to believe neither of those two donned the "37"!

RABIDAWG said:
One of my sons wore #37 for the Rustlers of Jack Johnson days.....that would be MY favorite! :)

I’m on this bus too...it’s my 14 year old daughter’s club soccer number. She is my favorite hahaha

alabamagrizzly said:
I’ll expand just because, plus, we need more to talk about here. Favorite non 37 who could’a been a 37.

Offense-Chase
Defensive-Colt
Offense: Chase, Mariani, DD
Defense: Colt, Huntsberger, the Biermann

Bryce Sterk :thumb:

Sterk_Bryce_083018.jpg

JDoub said:
Bryce Sterk :thumb:

CopyKitties don't count. Never have. The whole program is just like a store brand version of UM. You know how you can go get a package of Pop Secret, and right next to it will be the Kroger brand? Maybe Ol' Mr. Personality #6 will give them their own identity, but I seriously doubt it.

IntuitiveGriz said:
My favorite 37 was handed it from Tim Hauck,, and was the first to wear it for four years (after being passed down from Paulson).

All-American X 2
Team Captain X 3
297 Tackles

When Todd came here (defensive coordinator) Jerome Souers had great expectations for him, and we had him ear-marked to become our free safety,” said Griz head coach Don Read. “In fact, he even got number 37 from former free safety (All-American) Timmy Hauck. He plays a lot like Timmy for that matter. “The thing about Todd Ericson, a former quarterback and former team captain at Butte High School, is that he’s used to winning, he’s used to making big plays, and competing under pressure,” Read said. “He’s done that for us and then some. But, above and beyond those things, he has great physical and mental tools. He’s been timed at 4.57 in the 40, and has excellent size. He has the frame to come up and support run and really bang you, and also has the speed to run with any receiver.“Todd is the center-fielder in our coverage. He’s a complete player, and I have not coached many athletes who can do the things that he can do — I can count them on one hand,” Read said. “He is just a tremendous football player, and I just can’t say enough about him.”

"He's so darn durable and tough -- he can really hit you." said head coach Don Read. "He's like a linebacker playing free safety , but his range is so good, because he can run so well sideline-to-sideline. Plus, his jumping ability, and his ability to make a play on the ball are just remarkable. Another thing about him, is you put him in man-to-man coverage, and he can do that as well as anyone around." "Todd Ericson is a former quarterback and a former team captain for Butte High School, and he's used to winning, he's used to making plays, and he's used to competing under pressure." Read said. "He has all the abilities you need, whether you're talking about size, speed or intelligence. He's a great football player, with great work habits, an excellent leader, and really has the respect of his teammates." "There are very few safeties in the country that have the assets that Todd has," Read said. "The tendency of the pros is not to draft safeties, or at least they do in limited numbers, but Todd is one of those guys they will look at. I believe he is a draft-able guy,, and he will play in the NFL. And I believe is one of the best free safeties, abilities-wise that I've been around, and two of the best I've coached., Tracy Eaton (Atlanta Falcons) and Tim Hauck (Green Bay Packers) are playing in the NFL right now."

Just too bad he jumped a tenth of a second early and 1 inch too low to tip that rare pass Delaware threw in their 49 - 48 playoff win over the Griz. I can still see him just not quite getting to the ball to tip it. And 49-48 reflects one other issue that day........after both teams scored 7 TD's!

garizzalies said:
Not best. Favorite.
Mine owns a ring, a huge smile, and the best ski hill in MT.
I happen to think he was the best too but I’m a bit biased. Saw him the other day and I totally fan-boy’d like Vim at the MILF camp when the golden shower event came up.

:lol: :lol:

Mousegriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

All-American X 2
Team Captain X 3
297 Tackles

Just too bad he jumped a tenth of a second early and 1 inch too low to tip that rare pass Delaware threw in their 49 - 48 playoff win over the Griz. I can still see him just not quite getting to the ball to tip it. And 49-48 reflects one other issue that day........after both teams scored 7 TD's!

I was at that crazy game too, and had a pretty good view from the southwest looking across at the play to the southeast. Heartbreaking!

That '93 Griz team was loaded. They could hav been '95 before '95 was '95.

I grew up playing a lot of sports with Ericson, he was the most athletic, dominant (tough as cavalar) athlete I've ever seen (in person, to this day). He was the point guard dishing out assists and he still just averaged only 1 pt less a game less than his 3 pt shooting guard Gatorade Player of the Year teammate. Ericson, in a lot of people's mind thought he could have played B-Ball at UM as well.

He went to the Indianapolis Colts in '94 injured, and decided he would pursue business and has been successful.

Don Read was spot on about Todd. Beast.

My future favorite is Kelen Dietrich, current Havre Blue Pony and recent GRIZ signee. Hey, it does not hurt to look to the future, eh?

66volvo said:
My future favorite is Kelen Dietrich, current Havre Blue Pony and recent GRIZ signee. Hey, it does not hurt to look to the future, eh?

:thumb:

You maybe onto something there. :D :clap:

Back