• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way too early but fun to look at

We ranked in the bottom 5% nationally in the number of fouls committed per game. I keep reading about how great our defense is, but committing 34 fouls per game, and losing 2-4 players each game for committing 5 fouls does not equal good defense. Out defenders have poor footwork on defense, reach way too much, and don't always play the high pick-n-roll switch very well.

It may be because of youth, or it may be something more like coaching or effort on the defensive end. But we need to improve significantly to be a factor to win the Sky. A team can't lose the foul-line battle by 10+ every game and expect to win.

I got curious about where Sac St. was ranked by Torvik so I looked at the rankings....When I looked at the individual rankings for our team I noticed several things that were wrong.....He has the scoring averages wrong across the board, he has players who are not going to be on the team this year listed and he has omitted players who should be listed....I then checked your teams stats against his listing and they are wrong again.....For example, he has Owens listed as averaging 13.1 pts a game when your site shows he averaged 10.5 pts......leads me to believe Torvik doesn't do his homework very well....Can't fathom how or where he comes up with these "Stats".......

sacstateman said:
I got curious about where Sac St. was ranked by Torvik so I looked at the rankings....When I looked at the individual rankings for our team I noticed several things that were wrong.....He has the scoring averages wrong across the board, he has players who are not going to be on the team this year listed and he has omitted players who should be listed....I then checked your teams stats against his listing and they are wrong again.....For example, he has Owens listed as averaging 13.1 pts a game when your site shows he averaged 10.5 pts......leads me to believe Torvik doesn't do his homework very well....Can't fathom how or where he comes up with these "Stats".......

He is trying to project for next season which is why the title of each page is “Projected Contributors and Stats”.

So in the example you used, Kyle Owens averaged about 11p/5.5r this year. His projection next season for Owens is 13p/6.7r which seems like a reasonable amount of improvement for a player going from his Soph to Jr year.

Yes, I did notice some issues with the players, but give him a break, look at Verbal Commits, teams are still adding and losing players every day. Overall I think he does a great job.

GrizBall said:
sacstateman said:

He is trying to project for next season which is why the title of each page is “Projected Contributors and Stats”.

So in the example you used, Kyle Owens averaged about 11p/5.5r this year. His projection next season for Owens is 13p/6.7r which seems like a reasonable amount of improvement for a player going from his Soph to Jr year.

Yes, I did notice some issues with the players, but give him a break, look at Verbal Commits, teams are still adding and losing players every day. Overall I think he does a great job.

If he is just guessing (predicting) at next years contributions, I suppose that is OK....but when he doesn't get the rosters correct, I would call that lazy....

citay said:
What jumps out at me is this stat: Low 340's in three-point shots attempted.

Hello! Anybody heard of "The Three-Point Era?"

Yes, the Bucks just won an NBA championship. And they are not the best three-point shooting team.

But they had Giannis. As in Antetokounmpo.

We don't.

This to me is the major fault line in our program.

Any coach who sticks to the old-school idea that the three-point shot is a gimmick is consigned to failure in this modern era when kids can shoot from all over the court.

I hope DeCuire is not one of them. I hope his "my-way-or-the-highway" attitude does not prevail in this one critical respect.

But that first glaring stat says otherwise.

I think this article may validate Citay’s philosophy:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-09-01/how-many-good-3-point-shooters-you-really-need-win-ncaa-title

I agree. Our players consistently passed-up open 3's all season long. DeCuire must muzzle them on taking 3"s.

Back