• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way Too Early 2020/21 Team

DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Hoops watcher said:
AZGrizFan said:
Here's my guess next year:

Bannan and Clarke Red Shirt
Beasley & Whitney Red Shirt
Jones, Yagi & Freddy Brown are gone.

Big Man rotation of Steadman, Anderson, Henderson, Owens, DCH
Guard rotation of Gaskin, Vasquez, Falls, Egun

Don't see 4 guys redshirting, haven't done it much while Travis has been here. Though if Beasley has a knee issue as someone mentioned he'd be a likely candidate.

Well that's a quality 9-man rotation without those four. I guess if one of them flat out beats out one of these 9, or someone suffers an injury it could happen that they don't all RS...but why not if they're just going to sit the bench for a year otherwise?

Uh, that's 8 guys for the fall semester, not gonna work. We were already too thin this year, out of necessity/circumstance, we're not going to intentionally have an even thinner roster next year.

Even with 9 guys you still occasionally need a 10th or 11th guy to come in and buy you a few minutes every once in a while due to fouls or whatever, Yagi is doing it right now.

Well I would hope Yagi or Brown could be that guy, but I just hope they stay. Based on minutes, I’m not sure that’s gonna happen.

AZGrizFan said:
DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Hoops watcher said:
Don't see 4 guys redshirting, haven't done it much while Travis has been here. Though if Beasley has a knee issue as someone mentioned he'd be a likely candidate.

Well that's a quality 9-man rotation without those four. I guess if one of them flat out beats out one of these 9, or someone suffers an injury it could happen that they don't all RS...but why not if they're just going to sit the bench for a year otherwise?

Uh, that's 8 guys for the fall semester, not gonna work. We were already too thin this year, out of necessity/circumstance, we're not going to intentionally have an even thinner roster next year.

Even with 9 guys you still occasionally need a 10th or 11th guy to come in and buy you a few minutes every once in a while due to fouls or whatever, Yagi is doing it right now.

Well I would hope Yagi or Brown could be that guy, but I just hope they stay. Based on minutes, I’m not sure that’s gonna happen.

I'm pretty sure Brown has a full ride (or near it) on academics and...I want to say has known TDC since middle school? I don't remember the exact story, but he has known DeCuire since he was a youngster. I'd be really surprised if he goes anywhere.

D1 Men’s CBB teams get 13 full rides and they cannot be split. So once you count up the full ride guys, the other dudes are on some non athletic assistance or paying their own way to school.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I'm pretty sure Brown has a full ride (or near it) on academics and...I want to say has known TDC since middle school? I don't remember the exact story, but he has known DeCuire since he was a youngster. I'd be really surprised if he goes anywhere.

Im not sure exactly how long he has known Coach DeCuire, but his uncle is the late Delvon Anderson. A Grizzly great who played with Travis for 1 year I think. Having Freddy Brown on the team is basically the same as having a Montanan as far as I'm concerned.

Even as a walk on I think he could play a significant role in the depth of this team going forward.

AZGrizFan said:
DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Hoops watcher said:

If Yagi is back then someone else has to go to make room, so that doesn’t work. Bottom line is you can’t start the year spending 5 scholarships on guys that aren’t available and field a competitive team. Also, good luck convincing 4 freshman to sit out.

If these guys are as good as we think/hope then there’s not reason that they can’t compete with Egun, Vasquez, Owens, etc..

As for Freddy Brown, I'd be very surprised, if he left the team. I've spoken to him a few times this season, after games. He's always in great spirits I even asked him, if he was out due to an injury. He quickly replied, he was willing to redshirt this season, to help the team more in the next 3 seasons. Yes, he is on a full ride academic scholarship.

I really am not sure about Yagi. From observing him during games, he seems to be smiling and communicating with teammates throughout the games. I really am not sure, why he doesn't see significant minutes. Maybe, Travis is just more comfortable with what Anderson, Owens, DCH, and Samuelson bring to the team. Offensively, Yagi seems pretty damn solid. I wonder, does he struggle with the defensive side? I really haven't noticed it, in his little playing time.

Egun, seems to be earning DeCuire's trust more and more. This past month, Egun has made the most of his limited minutes. Good things seem to happen when he's on the court, of late. He's another solid perimeter defender, rebounds well, has a nice perimeter shot, and goes to the hole strong. Maybe his ballhandling and/or passing aren't up DeCuire's liking yet. I just don't see why he doesn't see more minutes. Maybe Travis is just set on his rotation and is likely to stick with it, regardless how well the deeper bench players do with their minutes. I really wish I knew.

Steadman and Gaskin will be huge additions on the court. I fully expect each to be all conference players. Steadman will be the best big in the conference. Gaskin is going to Rorie like impactful, with more length. Physically, I see him as being able to give DeCuire a lot of versatility, with minutes at the 1,2 and 3 spots.

Physically, Henderson surely passes the eye test. I tend to question the eligibility of these mid year transfers, until I physically see them on the court in the regular season. The NCAA can be a bitch to deal with, regarding some transfers. Until I see/hear Henderson play in a regular season game, I am going to question, when he will play as a GRIZ. One, just never knows with the NCAA. Petty crap, can really mess things up with transfers and foreign players. I will be hoping, everything will be a go for Henderson, but am going to be cautious with his transfer.

With or without Henderson, next season will be a terrific one. In the meantime, let's enjoy the togetherness and grit this year's GRIZ play with. #make3yearsinarowtothebigdance

mtgrizrule said:
As for Freddy Brown, I'd be very surprised, if he left the team. I've spoken to him a few times this season, after games. He's always in great spirits I even asked him, if he was out due to an injury. He quickly replied, he was willing to redshirt this season, to help the team more in the next 3 seasons. Yes, he is on a full ride academic scholarship.

I really am not sure about Yagi. From observing him during games, he seems to be smiling and communicating with teammates throughout the games. I really am not sure, why he doesn't see significant minutes. Maybe, Travis is just more comfortable with what Anderson, Owens, DCH, and Samuelson bring to the team. Offensively, Yagi seems pretty damn solid. I wonder, does he struggle with the defensive side? I really haven't noticed it, in his little playing time.

Egun, seems to be earning DeCuire's trust more and more. This past month, Egun has made the most of his limited minutes. Good things seem to happen when he's on the court, of late. He's another solid perimeter defender, rebounds well, has a nice perimeter shot, and goes to the hole strong. Maybe his ballhandling and/or passing aren't up DeCuire's liking yet. I just don't see why he doesn't see more minutes. Maybe Travis is just set on his rotation and is likely to stick with it, regardless how well the deeper bench players do with their minutes. I really wish I knew.

Steadman and Gaskin will be huge additions on the court. I fully expect each to be all conference players. Steadman will be the best big in the conference. Gaskin is going to Rorie like impactful, with more length. Physically, I see him as being able to give DeCuire a lot of versatility, with minutes at the 1,2 and 3 spots.

Physically, Henderson surely passes the eye test. I tend to question the eligibility of these mid year transfers, until I physically see them on the court in the regular season. The NCAA can be a bitch to deal with, regarding some transfers. Until I see/hear Henderson play in a regular season game, I am going to question, when he will play as a GRIZ. One, just never knows with the NCAA. Petty crap, can really mess things up with transfers and foreign players. I will be hoping, everything will be a go for Henderson, but am going to be cautious with his transfer.

With or without Henderson, next season will be a terrific one. In the meantime, let's enjoy the togetherness and grit this year's GRIZ play with. #make3yearsinarowtothebigdance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Ivj4lbKTg
I don't think there is any past Griz player to compare with Gaskin. He is just a whole different type of player, and is going to be extremely fun to watch for the next 3 years. I'd be willing to bet all 3 include an All BSC 1st or 2nd team award, along with being newcomer of the year next year. From the second he signed with us, all I could see when watching him was a bigger Ja Morant without most of Morants playmaking abilities. This kid is going to be REALLY special, and has a chance to be the first draft pick out of UM in quite a while.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

406 has posted that Brown will be transferring. Not sure where he gets his information.

Jeff Linder of NoCo takes the UWyo job. They were already losing a lot so who knows how good they would be next year but it's definitely a hit in the short term and in the long term he seemed like he was really building something in Greeley. As a side note, it's really helpful for the momentum of the program that we haven't lost a coach to a fellow mid major in a while the way NoCo and EWU recently have.

Anyways, across the conference there's a ton of talent graduating so whichever team steps up will be doing it with a pretty new cast. EWU has the most coming back but SUU and NAU also have a lot slated to return. We should be right in it next year Gaskin and Steadman are as good as we believe.

Lots of offseason left so I'm sure there are plenty of big shakeups to come in the conference landscape.

I just wanted to add that whether or not Peter Jones is on the team next year I will always be a big fan of his. Got got to meet and talk to him in Reno a few years ago and he is a great young man that I have always pulled for.
The future looks bright for the mens program.

Here is my take on it for now. If I get a chance to see them play this summer it will probably change. I think one of the 3 incoming guards redshirts next year to balance out the scholarships a bit and we finally have a plethora of ball handlers.

Henderson is a mid season question mark like Yagi last year. Will push Anderson, DJ and Owens for playing time. I don't think Bannan will redshirt because without Henderson playing we are thin at the forward position.

Clarke could be a surprise for more playing time with his length and alleged shooting ability (which we will need someone to step up losing Manuel).

Gaskins is going to be sooooo fun to watch. I have very high expectations for him. Steadman being right there as well.

If Eddy or Josh get more comfortable scoring, we are going to be really dangerous on offense.

This team is crazy deep and has an interesting array of players that offer different strengths. It will be fun to see the coaching staff use that to our advantage.

F- Michael Steadman (SR) 6-11 F- Mack Anderson (JR) 6-9 F- Darius Henderson (JR) 6-9
F- DJ Carter-Hollinger (SO) 6-5 G/F- Kyle Owens (So.) 6-8 F-Josh Bannan (FR) 6-9
G- Naseem Gaskin (RS SO) 6-4 G- Hunter Clarke(FR) 6-6
G- Josh Vasquez (SO) 6-3 G- Eddy Egun (JR) 6-5
G- Timmy Falls (SR) 6-2 G- Robby Beasley (FR) 6-3 G- Brandon Whitney (FR) 6-2

F- Peter Jones (R-JR) 6-8
G- Jett Briceno (SO) 6-5

Mavman said:
I just wanted to add that whether or not Peter Jones is on the team next year I will always be a big fan of his. Got got to meet and talk to him in Reno a few years ago and he is a great young man that I have always pulled for.
The future looks bright for the mens program.

Love this guys. Such a pleasure to talk to.

flatheadgriz406 said:
Here is my take on it for now. If I get a chance to see them play this summer it will probably change. I think one of the 3 incoming guards redshirts next year to balance out the scholarships a bit and we finally have a plethora of ball handlers.

Henderson is a mid season question mark like Yagi last year. Will push Anderson, DJ and Owens for playing time. I don't think Bannan will redshirt because without Henderson playing we are thin at the forward position.

Clarke could be a surprise for more playing time with his length and alleged shooting ability (which we will need someone to step up losing Manuel).

Gaskins is going to be sooooo fun to watch. I have very high expectations for him. Steadman being right there as well.

If Eddy or Josh get more comfortable scoring, we are going to be really dangerous on offense.

This team is crazy deep and has an interesting array of players that offer different strengths. It will be fun to see the coaching staff use that to our advantage.

F- Michael Steadman (SR) 6-11 F- Mack Anderson (JR) 6-9 F- Darius Henderson (JR) 6-9
F- DJ Carter-Hollinger (SO) 6-5 G/F- Kyle Owens (So.) 6-8 F-Josh Bannan (FR) 6-9
G- Naseem Gaskin (RS SO) 6-4 G- Hunter Clarke(FR) 6-6
G- Josh Vasquez (SO) 6-3 G- Eddy Egun (JR) 6-5
G- Timmy Falls (SR) 6-2 G- Robby Beasley (FR) 6-3 G- Brandon Whitney (FR) 6-2

F- Peter Jones (R-JR) 6-8
G- Jett Briceno (SO) 6-5

Very reasonable take, mine would very similar barring more roster changes. The possible lineup combinations (big/small, etc) are intriguing.

Back