• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vim's 2020 Montana High School Football Recruiting List

Status
Not open for further replies.
grizfan1984 said:
Ive noticed that the coaches started following some guys you don't have listed yet:
Tanner Parsons RB/LB Shelby
Basil Coutinho ATH Missoula Loyola
Thomas Walkuo OL/DT Bozeman
Nelson Crusafulli ATH Glendive
Where would you list these guys?

Look at my Top 50 on Bobcatnation.

41.) Ben Maehl (Missoula Big Sky) - WR/S - 6'2", 190 lbs.

Ben is one of the better AA players returning in 2019. He's a good athlete with position versatility. He can develop at WR, S, or LB and be a solid college player. Ben will be highly sought after at the NAIA level.

42.) Jade Morast (Dillon) - OL/DL - 6'2", 235 lbs.

Jade is just a big, strong, physical kid. He's not the greatest athlete which puts him a little lower on my initial ranking but he stills flashes playmaking ability. Jade works hard and does his job every snap. There is value in being reliable.

43.) Trey Green (Alberton/Superior) - RB - 5'9", 200 lbs.

An 8-man player out of Clark Fork High School, Trey is one of the better backs in the state in my opinion. He's a short, stocky runner who has good burst in the open field on top of being physical between the tackles. Trey breaks a bunch of tackles as he uses his frame and strength to his advantage. He's also a decent receiver in the passing game.

44.) Tom Walkup (Bozeman) - OL - 6'1", 285 lbs.

Tom is one of the best interior lineman in this class. He can move people in the run game and flashes some athleticism while pulling. Tom is also a State Qualifying wrestler which coaches circle immediately when trying to put together a recruiting board. Most of his notoriety comes on the offensive line but he may get recruited more as a DT.

45.) Chance Sheldon-Allen (Kalispell Flathead) - WR/DB - 5'9", 155 lbs.

Chance is small but very fast. He is one of the top sprinters in the state as a junior and that speed flashes in the kick-return game. Chance flashed some playmaking ability on defense at the safety position his junior season with 5 interceptions, 14 passes defended, 1 sack, and 2 blocked field goals. Should be on every in-state NAIA school's recruiting radar.

46.) Aidan Barrows (Miles City) - RB - 5'10", 185 lbs.

Aidan was an All-State LB for Custer County High School in 2018 but he may have more of a future as a RB. If Aidan was bigger in height and weight, he would be a Top 10 player in this class. He's one of the most physical runners in the state and has good acceleration in the open field. He's a good track athlete as well. It will be interesting to see how his recruitment develops because Aidan is a kid who could be a late riser by year-end.

47.) Chet McCulley (Eureka) - RB/DB - 5'10", 150 lbs.

Chet tore his ACL early in the 2018 season which eliminated his junior campaign. The three Eureka kids listed in my initial Top 50 (Hank Dunn, Jake Kindel, and Chet) were all All-State their sophomore seasons and all major contributors on those Garrett Graves-led Class B title teams. All of them have a different skillset with Chet's being elusiveness and speed. He has some of the best "wiggle" of any runner in this class and hopefully he can return to top form by this fall.

48.) Gabe Longin (Great Falls High) - RB/DB - 5'11", 185 lbs.

Gabe is a versatile runner with elusiveness in the open field. He was required to catch the ball a lot out of the backfield in Mark Samson's passing attack and Gabe shined catching 60 balls for 582 yards with 7 receiving touchdowns. In my opinion, Gabe had a very underrated season last year for Great Falls High as you can't argue with his production. I see Gabe as a RB or slot WR at the next level and he will have plenty of opportunities to prove what level that will be throughout 2019.

49.) Basil Coutinho (Missoula Loyola) - TE/LB/DE - 6'2", 190 lbs.

Basil has been a starter for Loyola since he was a sophomore and most of his best plays have been made at the DE/LB position. He's been used in a variety of ways on both offense and defense for the Rams which makes him an intriguing in-state prospect. Basil has a good frame to develop into a H-back/flex TE on offense or hybrid DE/LB on defense at the next level.

50.) Carson McGinness (Centerville) - QB/S - 6'0", 170 lbs.

Carson is a two-time All-State football player heading into his senior season. I may have him too low on this list as he flashes just as much ability as some of the players in the 11-20 range on this list. But that's just how this class is built...there isn't much separation between talent once you get past my Top 4. Anyway, Carson is a good player who makes a ton of plays at QB for the Miners of Centerville. He may also be recruited as a safety.

By the way, if anyone wants to yell at me for the ranking, vouch for a player not listed, or just comment on anything in general, PLEASE DO! Many posters just PM me if they want to have a conversation on a prospect so that is perfectly fine to. Would just like to reiterate that this initial Top 50 is largely a guess based off junior tape AND where the kid projects at the next level. There are bunch of players listed in the "Others..." list on the front page that are better than players listed in the Top 50 as things stand right now. But players have different floors and ceilings as prospects so I try to project to the best of my ability.

VimSince03 said:
By the way, if anyone wants to yell at me for the ranking, vouch for a player not listed, or just comment on anything in general, PLEASE DO! Many posters just PM me if they want to have a conversation on a prospect so that is perfectly fine to. Would just like to reiterate that this initial Top 50 is largely a guess based off junior tape AND where the kid projects at the next level. There are bunch of players listed in the "Others..." list on the front page that are better than players listed in the Top 50 as things stand right now. But players have different floors and ceilings as prospects so I try to project to the best of my ability.

One thing I noticed, you never have a Livingston kid listed for being a top recruit. Is it because you don't like that place or is it because no one is ever good enough from there? Or both?

reinell30 said:
VimSince03 said:

One thing I noticed, you never have a Livingston kid listed for being a top recruit. Is it because you don't like that place or is it because no one is ever good enough from there? Or both?

I thought John Waddell (QB/S) and Warren Hanson (FB/TE) were NAIA players last year and that proved to be true. I was high on Brock Peterson at cornerback for the 2018 class. Just because they aren't listed in my Top 50 doesn't mean I don't think they are untalented. John's little brother Jack will be a solid recruit in 2021. DE Jack Gauthier has a chance to move up the list during his senior campaign this fall. There isn't much difference in talent level between the #25 player to the hypothetical #100 player. I'll just say that. I'm just giving you guys a list of kids I think have the best ability to be productive college football players.

VimSince03 said:
reinell30 said:
VimSince03 said:

I thought John Waddell (QB/S) and Warren Hanson (FB/TE) were NAIA players last year and that proved to be true. I was high on Brock Peterson at cornerback for the 2018 class. Just because they aren't listed in my Top 50 doesn't mean I don't think they are untalented. John's little brother Jack will be a solid recruit in 2021. DE Jack Gauthier has a chance to move up the list during his senior campaign this fall. There isn't much difference in talent level between the #25 player to the hypothetical #100 player. I'll just say that. I'm just giving you guys a list of kids I think have the best ability to be productive college football players.

I think for the most part you are spot on with your picks and I appreciate your efforts you put into this for all to see!

Also, my biggest takeaway from evaluating the 2020 class? The 2021 class (juniors this fall) is absolutely loaded.

vim....thank you for all the hard work....I don't know how you do it....your passion for this is impressive ...

krammer said:
vim....thank you for all the hard work....I don't know how you do it....your passion for this is impressive ...
Years ago I tried to do both an it was almost impossible. Vim showed up and made the recruiting 100 times better. His knowledge and film study is really impressive. Thanks FOR ALL THE WORK you do.

The only downfall is he is a kitten... :D
But then each of us probably has that cat uncle that we like. :thumb:

krammer said:
thanks vim...always interesting...

Tommy Mellott is kicking ass in track 100/200/ 4x100. One thing not mentioned in his review is that he is an 11 second 100 meter guy. Pretty serious wheels for a QB and 4-point student to boot. He should have a great senior season. Hope the Griz get him. Cats are trying.

Buttegrizzle said:
krammer said:

Tommy Mellott is kicking ass in track 100/200/ 4x100. One thing not mentioned in his review is that he is an 11 second 100 meter guy. Pretty serious wheels for a QB and 4-point student to boot. He should have a great senior season. Hope the Griz get him. Cats are trying.

Cats have offered... along with 10 other QB's :D

Buttegrizzle said:
krammer said:

My brief review highlighted that he is a very good athlete. It was also put out pre-track season. I do that so kids can improve their ranking with track performance when I put out my second ranking.

Even though Tommy is a QB, he has intriguing position versatility due to his athleticism. Will only help his recruiting.

VimSince03 said:
Buttegrizzle said:
krammer said:

My brief review highlighted that he is a very good athlete. It was also put out pre-track season. I do that so kids can improve their ranking with track performance when I put out my second ranking.

Even though Tommy is a QB, he has intriguing position versatility due to his athleticism. Will only help his recruiting.

I see WR written all over Mr Mellott

Vim what about the Qb out of Florence 6ft 195 has ran and thrown for a lot of yards. Kobe ? Is also a legion baseball pitcher

grizzcabin said:
Vim what about the Qb out of Florence 6ft 195 has ran and thrown for a lot of yards. Kobe ? Is also a legion baseball pitcher

Colby Kohlman. Yeah I screwed up and for some reason thought he was only going to be a junior this fall. Without a doubt a Top 50 player and one of the better football athletes in the state. Has a ton of versatility. Look for him in the 2nd Edition of the Top 50 coming out in a few weeks.

VimSince03 said:
grizzcabin said:

Colby Kohlman. Yeah I screwed up and for some reason thought he was only going to be a junior this fall. Without a doubt a Top 50 player and one of the better football athletes in the state. Has a ton of versatility. Look for him in the 2nd Edition of the Top 50 coming out in a few weeks.

He is for sure a good ball player. I wouldn't say he is a "super athlete" but he just gets stuff done. He is one of those kids that are a better football player than straight athlete. I know he is one that has to be schemed for.

bemiller49 said:
VimSince03 said:
grizzcabin said:

He is for sure a good ball player. I wouldn't say he is a "super athlete" but he just gets stuff done. He is one of those kids that are a better football player than straight athlete. I know he is one that has to be schemed for.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say when I called him a "football" athlete. However, you cleared it up perfectly! Sometimes kids just have an innate ability to win on the football field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back