• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

US Hockey team

Hockey is a nice fall-back option for people that don't have the guts, skill and panache to make it in figure skating.

USA v Canada and Sweden v Finland is a fascinating semi round. Two sets of natural rivals squaring off. This is going to be awesome.

ABQCat said:
USA v Canada and Sweden v Finland is a fascinating semi round. Two sets of natural rivals squaring off. This is going to be awesome.

Agreed, I'm really looking forward to the USA vs Canada matchup! Hopefully a little payback for the 2010 gold medal match! :thumb: Canadians are great at hockey but I have such a difficult time taking them too seriously because their heads flop so damn much when they talk!! :lol:

Hockey (and Rugby Sevens) rank up there as the best sports to watch in person - fast, physical and featuring incredibly tough athletes!

HannahO said:
Hockey (and Rugby Sevens) rank up there as the best sports to watch in person - fast, physical and featuring incredibly tough athletes!

Agreed, Las Vegas 7's sitting in Coach Hauck's stadium in LV is a cultural sporting highlight that should not be missed.

Interestingly, the Head Coach of the U.S. Olympic Hockey Team was born is Saskatchewan, Canada. Hope there isn't a 'conflict of interest' there.

SaskGriz said:
HannahO said:

Agreed, Las Vegas 7's sitting in Coach Hauck's stadium in LV is a cultural sporting highlight that should not be missed.

Hong Kong 7's is the best 7's tourney in the world, maybe the best rugby tourney. Great event and venue. 40,000 people in venue for the final day. Huge partying--in the stadium and in Hong Kong. Check out the videos in the links. Most of the famous South Stands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBgjVv12m9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnhEoCYOpOg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70XfWJJbkRQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BKoHhKqBsY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WyomingGrizFan said:
Interestingly, the Head Coach of the U.S. Olympic Hockey Team was born is Saskatchewan, Canada. Hope there isn't a 'conflict of interest' there.

Dan Bylsma was born in Michigan. If Katey Stone was born in Saskatchewan she must have left very young because she grew up in near Boston.

SaskGriz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:

Dan Bylsma was born in Michigan. If Katey Stone was born in Saskatchewan she must have left very young because she grew up in near Boston.

Oh, I thought they were talking about a Barry Melrose as the Head Coach of the U.S.A. men's Hockey Team. Ever since Andy Bathgate innovated the curved stick conundrum I've generally lost interest in Hockey as an uneven sport. Sorry.

WyomingGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:

Oh, I thought they were talking about a Barry Melrose as the Head Coach of the U.S.A. men's Hockey Team. Ever since Andy Bathgate innovated the curved stick conundrum I've generally lost interest in Hockey as an uneven sport. Sorry.
:clap: :lol:

SaskGriz said:
HannahO said:

We were there too! Great time and much partying with some ex-pat Brits and a Scot who now live in the States. Saving up for another trip already.

HannahO said:
SaskGriz said:
HannahO said:

We were there too! Great time and much partying with some ex-pat Brits and a Scot who now live in the States. Saving up for another trip already.

This was my fourth year in a row, should be five next year but my buddy and his fiance who I usually go with are getting married in Iceland in October, so that might drain the wallet. At least the loser had the decency to schedule it for the Griz's off week. :lol:

SaskGriz said:
HannahO said:
SaskGriz said:
HannahO said:

This was my fourth year in a row, should be five next year but my buddy and his fiance who I usually go with are getting married in Iceland in October, so that might drain the wallet. At least the loser had the decency to schedule it for the Griz's off week. :lol:

I'm telling you, save your money and go to Hong Kong. The 7's coach, Alex Magleby, who stepped down last fall (but is credited with bringing the team up several notches), is my good friend. He played with us multiple times in the Kalispell/D-Day tourney--with the Dartmouth and friends teams--, and lived with us one summer at the lake. Has you guys played in that tourney? The team just brought up a current Dartmouth undergrad for Wellington. Came of the bench twice, started the last game, and scored 37 points.

"Eagles Head Coach Matt Hawkins put a young starting seven on the field for the final match of Day One, with Dartmouth’s Madison Hughes making his first career IRB HSBC Sevens World Series start. The opening try was converted by Hughes for a 7-0 Eagles lead. Hughes set up the next try by taking an extra defender during his run and offloading to an onrushing Nick Edwards."

"The Men’s Eagles Sevens earned their first win of Wellington Sevens against Portugal in the Shield Semifinal, 31-10, thanks to two tries from Madison Hughes...." Hughes had 3 conversions too. Came off the bench in this game"

Hope Hughes is on spring tour in CA the week of March 17, and not training with the Eagles for Hong Kong (March 28-30). A bunch of us alums will be on tour with the team, from Cal, to Cal Poly, to Santa Barbara to LA. Big party in Paso Robles at our buddy's ranch. He's in the wine business too.

Back