• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Women's Tennis Team leads conference

I’m really glad someone brought this up cause as a former Tennis player myself, I actually follow the Griz Tennis teams fairly close. The women have 2 matches remaining and are having an all time season. It’s cool too cause I used to have some classes with Olivia Oosterban and Maria Goheen when I was still in school down there.

The men have gotten back on track after dealing with some injuries at the start of conference play, but they got it going now. They play winless Eastern later this week before both teams wrap up the regular season in Bozeman next weekend.

Both are still in contention for the regular season title. The women are in the drivers seat while the men need a little bit of help. Exciting times at UM!

I wish the Olympic/non-revenue sports got more attention on here. I mean, I get it. But those student athletes bust their collective asses for UM with so little recognition.

I've said it before: if UM had a Tiddlywinks team, I'd root for them.

Lost 4-3 to Idaho State. Pretty disappointing result as we were up 3-2 in the match and looked like we were gonna pull it off only to choke away the final 2 matches. Now we’re tied with Sac State for 1st but we hold the tiebreaker going into the final match next week but I’m skeptical.

We play the cats in Bozeman next week and the cats have won 4 straight matches. It’s gonna be a tall task to beat them on their home court but we’ll see if they got that championship mentality in them. If we’re gonna beat them, we have to win the doubles point and not throw ourselves behind the 8 ball. Steve Asher is gonna have to go back to the drawing board with the doubles lineup cause we’ve just been getting dominated lately in doubles.

A golden opportunity pissed away today

They did it! For only the second time in program history, Griz Women’s Tennis are the regular season conference champions! And they did it in Bozeman absolutely piss pounding the cats lol. The cats hadn’t lost a home match all year until today! Congrats Ladies and Coach Steve Asher!
ISU has same record and the H2H win over Griz so co-champs would be a little more accurate from the SID. But still a great accomplishment.

ISU has same record and the H2H win over Griz so co-champs would be a little more accurate from the SID. But still a great accomplishment.
We actually have a 3 way tie with Sac State as well and I have no idea what the tiebreaker is for the #1 seed. ISU beat Griz, Griz beat SAC, SAC beat ISU. The triangle affect if you will. Should be interesting to see how that shakes out!

Edit: just saw tiebreak. ISU is 1, Griz are 2, Sac is 3. Top 2 get first round byes. I like our chances at the tournament if we can win the doubles point. Should be a great tourney next week!

Last edited:
Not sure how I would feel about that being that it’s essentially a “home” match for NAU. I know it’s roughly a 2 hr drive but it’s gotta help them not having to travel. At least the elevation isn’t an issue in Phoenix.
NAU has really struggled this year. I would be incredibly surprised if they beat Sac State, but even if they do, I can’t see them winning on back to back days with such a young team

#3 Sac State pulls out the incredibly close 4-3 win over #6 NAU and will play the Griz tomorrow. The difference in this match was the doubles point as it was a 3-3 tie in the singles matches. This shows just how important it is to win the doubles point tomorrow. Almost every match went to a third set in singles in a team match that spanned over 4.5 hours, so hopefully Sac State has a little bit of fatigue going into an early morning match against a well rested Griz team. Here are the semifinals:

#1 Idaho State vs. #5 Weber State
#2 Montana vs. #3 Sacramento State

Also the Griz men got smoked by #3 Idaho State 4-0 this morning to end their season

#3 Sac State pulls out the incredibly close 4-3 win over #6 NAU and will play the Griz tomorrow. The difference in this match was the doubles point as it was a 3-3 tie in the singles matches. This shows just how important it is to win the doubles point tomorrow. Almost every match went to a third set in singles in a team match that spanned over 4.5 hours, so hopefully Sac State has a little bit of fatigue going into an early morning match against a well rested Griz team. Here are the semifinals:

#1 Idaho State vs. #5 Weber State
#2 Montana vs. #3 Sacramento State

Also the Griz men got smoked by #3 Idaho State 4-0 this morning to end their season
Will it be available on ESPN+?

We dropped the doubles point to fall behind 1-0 in the match which is no surprise cause we're terrible at doubles. Singles matches are now underway. Super early in the first set but things do not appear to be off to a good start. A lot of time left to play though

We dropped the doubles point to fall behind 1-0 in the match which is no surprise cause we're terrible at doubles. Singles matches are now underway. Super early in the first set but things do not appear to be off to a good start. A lot of time left to play though
Bummer way to end such a historic season for the ladies. Sometimes it’s better to not have a day off and another team to have to face the adversity Sac did and come in hot.

Bummer way to end such a historic season for the ladies. Sometimes it’s better to not have a day off and another team to have to face the adversity Sac did and come in hot.
Ya the middle of the singles lineup just got torched. I hate to say this because I've known them since I was in school at UM, but Maria Goheen and Olivia Oosteban really underperformed this year as Seniors. Their play down the stretch in singles matches cost us and kept a lot of the matches close. That said, the future is bright for Women's Tennis with both the conference MVP and Freshmen of the year both returning. Coach Ascher is gonna need to add a couple more pieces to the team, but the future looks very promising.

Been a rough year for Griz Athletics in conference tournaments. We'll need to buck that trend next year

Latest posts

Back