• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Spring Enrollment Numbers

MikeyGriz said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
ah, you and your endless false narrative. can you please stick with at least the semi-truth when trying to insult me? for instance, i never said i liked engstrom. in fact, his 'best friend' was a provost at a university i was at once, and just based off of that guy's clueless decision making i figured engstrom must be a hopeless idiot, too. and he was. indeed, if you ever paid attention to anything other than your own imagination, you would have comprehended when i wrote that academicians are often in over their heads when promoted to managerial positions, as they've never been trained for such positions, much less have any real experience. as for bodnar, i just figure he should be evaluated with the same scrutiny as engstrom, and anybody else in the job. however, based on thin air and an even thinner beard, many of you decided he was the savior um needs, which is something i laugh at and use to needle you. given how butt-hurt you get, it seems i am correct that you cannot point to anything but anecdotal small successes to 'back up' your non-evidenced claims that he is a good president. oh, but he hired your favorite coach, so you didn't take your ball and go home, liked you whined you would if you didn't get your way.

You are the one with the false narrative, on Bodnar. My impression is that you are butt hurt that Bodnar didn't have enough academic experience and a PhD. You often post like you are jealous of high achievers, aka Rhodes Scholars, top academic and private schools, people who have made a lot of money, etc.

You have not said or cited anything to back up your assertions and questions. We MT locals, like Kem and myself, read the local articles, talk to UM admin and professor friends, and, at least in my case, talk to Regent friends. Of the 25 or so people I have talked to, some in the know and some not, not one has said anything negative about Bodnar or expressed any doubts.

Interesting on your views on Engstrom. I never noticed that in your posts. Perhaps I just overlooked your comments.

false narrative on bodnar? if you could read, you would be able to decipher that the subject of my post was about the opinion of bodnar by stereotypical egrizzers, like you. other than that, i did indicate that, based on anecdotal evidence here, it would seem um still isn't reaching out to high school students at the level of even msu. this was based of posters writing that their kids and kids' friends received mail from msu and other schools, but not um. these are the same claims that were made back in engstrum's years, ergo my comment that it looked like nothing had changed.

as for jealous, the only people i can really think of who i am jealous of are those who currently have healthy, fit bodies. been dealing with a long-lasting injury lately, which is always a reminder that we should appreciate good health, when we have it.

I believe lots of those posts were referring to pre-Bodnar days when UM had a system showing contacts and materials were being sent, but in reality not.

Mine wasn't... My kid is going into Freshman year of High School next year.. and has gotten an E-mail or a letter from almost every school in Montana, and the Northwest,... but nothing from UM. Is it because he lives in Bozeman? Again, My son is the farthest thing from being an athlete (just like his father). I talked to quit a few parents of kids this same age and they are saying the same. I just sent an e-mail to admissions asking for info for my 8th grade son, I will let you know when I get a response.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
kemajic said:
It is only you that believes this was not a good move because Engstom had all the academic credentials and was certain to get things fixed in spite of a steady deterioration over his seven years and not an administrative bone in his body. Protect the academic swamp; resist outside change.

ah, you and your endless false narrative. can you please stick with at least the semi-truth when trying to insult me? for instance, i never said i liked engstrom. in fact, his 'best friend' was a provost at a university i was at once, and just based off of that guy's clueless decision making i figured engstrom must be a hopeless idiot, too. and he was. indeed, if you ever paid attention to anything other than your own imagination, you would have comprehended when i wrote that academicians are often in over their heads when promoted to managerial positions, as they've never been trained for such positions, much less have any real experience. as for bodnar, i just figure he should be evaluated with the same scrutiny as engstrom, and anybody else in the job. however, based on thin air and an even thinner beard, many of you decided he was the savior um needs, which is something i laugh at and use to needle you. given how butt-hurt you get, it seems i am correct that you cannot point to anything but anecdotal small successes to 'back up' your non-evidenced claims that he is a good president. oh, but he hired your favorite coach, so you didn't take your ball and go home, liked you whined you would if you didn't get your way.

You are the one with the false narrative, on Bodnar. My impression is that you are butt hurt that Bodnar didn't have enough academic experience and a PhD. You often post like you are jealous of high achievers, aka Rhodes Scholars, top academic and private schools, people who have made a lot of money, etc.

You have not said or cited anything to back up your assertions and questions. We MT locals, like Kem and myself, read the local articles, talk to UM admin and professor friends, and, at least in my case, talk to Regent friends. Of the 25 or so people I have talked to, some in the know and some not, not one has said anything negative about Bodnar or expressed any doubts.

Interesting on your views on Engstrom. I never noticed that in your posts. Perhaps I just overlooked your comments.

false narrative on bodnar? if you could read, you would be able to decipher that the subject of my post was about the opinion of bodnar by stereotypical egrizzers, like you. other than that, i did indicate that, based on anecdotal evidence here, it would seem um still isn't reaching out to high school students at the level of even msu. this was based of posters writing that their kids and kids' friends received mail from msu and other schools, but not um. these are the same claims that were made back in engstrum's years, ergo my comment that it looked like nothing had changed.

as for jealous, the only people i can really think of who i am jealous of are those who currently have healthy, fit bodies. been dealing with a long-lasting injury lately, which is always a reminder that we should appreciate good health, when we have it.

Below is what you said (it's your entire post). Note your first sentence. You said nothing about your basing your assertion on posts from egriz. The problem is not our reading; it is your not being able to remember what you wrote. Jeez, do some research before you post and make up stuff.

"two years, and it appears the university still hasn't rectified the most basic problems with recruiting even montana h.s. students. but that doesn't matter, he hired Bobby and can do push-ups. growing a real beard, not so much, but there's time, so be patient! until he gets 'his guys' teaching english 101, he shouldn't be evaluated for anything but push-ups and bobby."

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

Below is what you said (it's your entire post). Note your first sentence. You said nothing about your basing your assertion on posts from egriz. The problem is not our reading; it is your not being able to remember what you wrote. Jeez, do some research before you post and make up stuff.

"two years, and it appears the university still hasn't rectified the most basic problems with recruiting even montana h.s. students. but that doesn't matter, he hired Bobby and can do push-ups. growing a real beard, not so much, but there's time, so be patient! until he gets 'his guys' teaching english 101, he shouldn't be evaluated for anything but push-ups and bobby."

i didn't state anything as absolute fact. i wrote "it appears" that the university still hasn't etc... this was based on what i read very in this very thread on egriz (see post by allezchat or cat or whatever his name is), posted by parents of high school students (see above) or others who seem to have some knowledge of the situation. the rest was just a sarcastic joke. if you can't keep up with more than the last three words said in a discourse about a subject, then maybe you should stay at home and play with your toys instead of discussing issues that might require some form accurate memory.

The Harvard of the North need not market to anyone. Any HS'er knows where UM is. If a HS'er thinks he/she has sufficient grit to withstand the rigor, he/she is welcome to submit an application to become one of the select few who can call themselves Grizzlies. This Bus Bench marketing is for the dullard schools.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

i didn't state anything as absolute fact. i wrote "it appears" that the university still hasn't etc... this was based on what i read very in this very thread on egriz (see post by allezchat or cat or whatever his name is), posted by parents of high school students (see above) or others who seem to have some knowledge of the situation. the rest was just a sarcastic joke. if you can't keep up with more than the last three words said in a discourse about a subject, then maybe you should stay at home and play with your toys instead of discussing issues that might require some form accurate memory.

If you can't state what you are basing a statement on, or how you are hedging it, then either don't say it or don't expect us to read your mind. You are the first PhD that I know, who bases his statements on loose chatter he's read on a football message board. I guess I incorrectly assumed you wouldn't be so stupid and negligent, and would do at least a modicum of investigation.

You are so out of it that you think people who have lapped you multiple times can't keep up with you.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

If you can't state what you are basing a statement on, or how you are hedging it, then either don't say it or don't expect us to read your mind. You are the first PhD that I know, who bases his statements on loose chatter he's read on a football message board. I guess I incorrectly assumed you wouldn't be so stupid and negligent, and would do at least a modicum of investigation.

You are so out of it that you think people who have lapped you multiple times can't keep up with you.

what, you now need every post on egriz to be a stand-alone missive that rehashes recent previous posts instead of expecting that other readers are able to follow along? in this case, that the university wasn't sending out information to potential montana high school students had already been brought up both specifically (about young students) and generally (the marketing problem um has been bad). i suggest you give great thanks to whatever god you believe in, to show your appreciation of being able to make it pretty far in life with only minimal reading comprehension and retention skills.

as for thinking someone can't keep up with me, the only poster i can come up with to name is well-known to not be able to keep up with much of anyone, so nobody is going to think it is an accomplishment to be 'ahead' of greenie.

I’m in breakfast exchange which is a volunteer organization in Billings. Every year we give scholarships to high school seniors. Usually have 20 presentations. Out of the 20 usually 1 says they want to go to UM. Others are MSU or out of state. It’s the same every year. Need to change that.

Declining enrollment at colleges is a national problem, but appears to be severe at UM. I’m not sure why? I think Engstrom set us back much further than anyone thought, however, I also believe Bodnar is a talented individual that will turn the enrollment problem around. Now, isn’t the time to be critical of him.

Can anyone show me a link to a college ranking that has UM listed as the best college education in Montana? How bout even in the top 5? How about a national ranking where UM Ranks in the top 300 schools? Ok, how about in the top 500? No. UM has not added the kinds of curricula needed to attract high school kids wanting to be prepared for today. UM hasn’t promoted itself effectively for the areas it does excel in. My son is the fourth generation in our family to attend UM, mainly for Political Science and Law, but seriously it was hard to decide and if it weren’t for the Davidson College he wouldn’t be here at all. Bodnar has a lot of ground to make up and with the limited funding available In this state it is going to be difficult.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

what, you now need every post on egriz to be a stand-alone missive that rehashes recent previous posts instead of expecting that other readers are able to follow along? in this case, that the university wasn't sending out information to potential montana high school students had already been brought up both specifically (about young students) and generally (the marketing problem um has been bad). i suggest you give great thanks to whatever god you believe in, to show your appreciation of being able to make it pretty far in life with only minimal reading comprehension and retention skills.

as for thinking someone can't keep up with me, the only poster i can come up with to name is well-known to not be able to keep up with much of anyone, so nobody is going to think it is an accomplishment to be 'ahead' of greenie.

Every post should make sense. No post should depend on the reader being able to read the mind of the poster. No poster should later make up stuff like you have done.

You continue to show how jealous you are of people who have achieved more than you have in life, and made more money. In my case, being smarter than you too.

I have been and still am, ahead of you of everything in life, other than your speciality in school/professorship. Sports, schools, friends, spouse, kids, achievements. Apparently heath and fitness too.

Buttegrizzle said:
Can anyone show me a link to a college ranking that has UM listed as the best college education in Montana? How bout even in the top 5? How about a national ranking where UM Ranks in the top 300 schools? Ok, how about in the top 500? No. UM has not added the kinds of curricula needed to attract high school kids wanting to be prepared for today. UM hasn’t promoted itself effectively for the areas it does excel in. My son is the fourth generation in our family to attend UM, mainly for Political Science and Law, but seriously it was hard to decide and if it weren’t for the Davidson College he wouldn’t be here at all. Bodnar has a lot of ground to make up and with the limited funding available In this state it is going to be difficult.

UM ranked 254. MSU is 246.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-montana-2536

Raider said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Raider said:
Htowngriz said:
So it stands at 4, isn't close to being over, but won't get anywhere close to 16. Right. Get a grip.

Uh, ok. No, I don’t see them hitting a 16 game winning streak. That’s a freak deal that won’t ever happen again.

They have won 4 straight, and the gap is widening. What makes you think that is all of a sudden going to pivot, or is it just the Griz fan with your head in the sand thingy?

How is the gap widening?

Seriously?! Did you happen to watch last November?

Even the most devout Griz fan cannot spin what took place last year. You can’t blame a first year coaching change, new scheme, injuries, new starters, etc. That was a full on beat down, with very little competitive about that game whatsoever. MSU wins that game 99 out of 100 times.

What do you see that is going to miraculously change that, other than blind hope.

I agree that the game was an ass kicking, however, I also know that UM kicked the shit out of Weber the first go around, but Weber pulled themselves up and gutted out a win the second go around. If UM had another crack at MSU last season that game is probably much closer. They had a banner day and UM had a shit day

Found this on the Cat forum, not sure where they got these numbers.

Projections for MSU and Bozeman versus UofM and Missoula assuming constant growth:
County Population:
Date____________________Gallatin County__________Missoula County
2010____________________89,651_________________109,466
2018____________________111,876________________118,791
Projected 2026____________139,500________________128,900

Student Enrollment:
Date____________________MSU____________________UofM
2010____________________13,559__________________13,198
2018____________________16,186__________________9,565
Projected 2026___________19,320__________________6,930

Football Stadium Attendance:
Date____________________MSU____________________U0fM
2010____________________14,298/game_____________25,448/game
2018____________________16,471/game_____________24,677/game
Projected 2026___________18,970/game_____________23,930/game

MTOutsider said:
Found this on the Cat forum, not sure where they got these numbers.

Projections for MSU and Bozeman versus UofM and Missoula assuming constant growth:
County Population:
Date____________________Gallatin County__________Missoula County
2010____________________89,651_________________109,466
2018____________________111,876________________118,791
Projected 2026____________139,500________________128,900

Student Enrollment:
Date____________________MSU____________________UofM
2010____________________13,559__________________13,198
2018____________________16,186__________________9,565
Projected 2026___________19,320__________________6,930

Football Stadium Attendance:
Date____________________MSU____________________U0fM
2010____________________14,298/game_____________25,448/game
2018____________________16,471/game_____________24,677/game
Projected 2026___________18,970/game_____________23,930/game

I'd be interested to see the source for those projections. I don't have the link right away, but projected growth for the cities of Missoula and Bozeman (and county I believe) were released in the press a few weeks or months back and I don't believe they were the same as is posted here. No doubt Bozeman is growing, but Missoula continues to grow too. As for the enrollment numbers and stadium attendance....I don't know who projected those but unless they give sources it's meaningless speculation. I can assure you UM is making changes to the way they recruit students, and I would believe enrollment will be higher than 6k six years from now.

those numbers for enrollment and attendance are simply taking the percentage of incline and decline from 2010 to 2018 and using those some percentages to show projected 2026 there is no way that can be close to accurate as too many variables come in to play. they are showing msu will continue to climb by 19.3% and um drop by 27.5% over 8 years.

Spanky2 said:
Declining enrollment at colleges is a national problem, but appears to be severe at UM. I’m not sure why? I think Engstrom set us back much further than anyone thought, however, I also believe Bodnar is a talented individual that will turn the enrollment problem around. Now, isn’t the time to be critical of him.

Then have his staff starting sending out info to HS kids in MT!!! This seems to be the continuing (and easiest to fix!) problem that hasn't been under Bodnar.

Mousegriz said:
Spanky2 said:

Then have his staff starting sending out info to HS kids in MT!!! This seems to be the continuing (and easiest to fix!) problem that hasn't been under Bodnar.

didn't you read the rules above? you can't criticize him for that, or for anything else yet! it has only been two years!

BDizzle said:
I’m in breakfast exchange which is a volunteer organization in Billings. Every year we give scholarships to high school seniors. Usually have 20 presentations. Out of the 20 usually 1 says they want to go to UM. Others are MSU or out of state. It’s the same every year. Need to change that.

I graduated from West in 1977 with a class of 725. About 12 of us went to UM. Half of the class went to MSU (not half of those going on to college). This is not a new phenomenon.

Back