• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Troxel Back to ISU

HelenaHandBasket said:
griz5700 said:
Wasn't he the OC at ISU when he accepted the WR position with UM?

Yes

In the middle of a firestorm with his head coach being forced out, him not being sure of his own job, and the next coach in line leaving for UNI only to then turn around and come back again. That being Rob Phenicie who had a lot to do with Troxel going back.

HelenaHandBasket said:
grizindabox said:
....maybe....just maybe....he realized....there is a....shit show.....in zoo town.....

That is a possibility.
Or he saw the qb's from the scrimmage and realized his wr won't get many catchable balls this year.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

While I agree this move sucks, and the timing is bad, to put a conspiracy-theory spin on this is ridiculous. Dude doubled his salary. Any one of us would make the same move.

Bummer. Life will go on in Montana but I was excited for Trox to be here. It's a little concerning as others have posted that he basically spent about 4 months here learning the offense, it's design, audibles, signals, etc and now has left. That game in Poky will be interesting for sure.

A few thoughts on "why"

1. Is there any news out on the length of Phen's contract? If he was given 3 or more years then there's the real probability that Trox considered job security. While I think/hope that this year's team is successful and the staff gets an extension there's the very real possibility they might not.

2. Trox and Phen go back to his playing days and Trox came up coaching with Phen. So the two know each other extensively. Trox and Stitt... just a 4 month relationship so to say.

3. Cost of living. A prior search suggested Trox's OC salary in Poky a few years back was around $75,000. Coming here was probably about a wash. Going back now I'd guess there's maybe a slight raise. Consider housing alone. The median house price in Poky is about $130,000. Missoula's is double that. Per Missoula's housing authority index if Trox were making $65,000 per year here and had a 20% down payment a median priced home still wouldn't be "affordable" (assuming his family has no other income). A slight pay raise to Poky is probably a much bigger swing in terms of cost of living, all things considered. Add in he has a young family and had started his roots there. It was potentially an easier decision to go back for family/economic reasons than many might suspect.

Either way... it's a bummer. But it's also not the end of the world.

grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:
He left ISU when it was a shit show. Grabbed on to something solid with UM while he could. Now that ISU it getting pieced back together, a job as OC there is very enticing. It will double his salary or maybe even more. Timing sucks. No loyalty sucks. His knowledge of our offense sucks. But money talks.

....maybe....just maybe....he realized....there is a....shit show.....in zoo town.....

Bingo...found out the offensive design is crap

HookedonGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
griz5700 said:
Wasn't he the OC at ISU when he accepted the WR position with UM?

Yes

In the middle of a firestorm with his head coach being forced out, him not being sure of his own job, and the next coach in line leaving for UNI only to then turn around and come back again. That being Rob Phenicie who had a lot to do with Troxel going back.

This. I know that the anti-Stitt crowd will interpret this exactly as they want to but look at the facts.

Phenice left Kramer.

Troxel left Kramer for a downgrade in title but a slight uptick in pay.

Kramer fired/resigns.

Phenice changes mind and comes back to be head coach.

Troxel goes back to previous job with higher pay and more responsibility and autonomy that what he had as the inside wide receiver coach for the Griz.

This has way more to do with Kramer than Stitt. I know it flies in the face of many on here, but if things were so bad with Stitt on our coaching staff, we would have lost more coaches than the one they fired this off-season...

Spin away, but this is not some huge hit, sky is falling, Stitt sucks thing.

AZGrizFan said:
While I agree this move sucks, and the timing is bad, to put a conspiracy-theory spin on this is ridiculous. Dude doubled his salary. Any one of us would make the same move.

Doubt he did. Per a 2014 search the OC for ISU at the time was making about $76,000.

https://boardofed.idaho.gov/finance_admin/fin_admin/2013-2014/ISU%20Athletc%20Comp%20Report%2013-14.pdf

I'd guess he was in the $60,000 - $65,000 range here.

So he probably didn't double it... but he damn sure got a nice raise.

grizindabox said:
...I just couldn't.....help myself.....had to supply......the pitchforks......
Pretty sure everyone who already hated Stitt got a raging pitchfork the minute they heard the news.

Greg Lee @SRpreps
1m
A source told me that Matt Troxel's departure from ISU started the ball rolling on Mike Kramer's so-called retirement

Greg Lee @SRpreps
1m
So Matt Troxel's re-hire makes sense now

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

Doubt he did. Per a 2014 search the OC for ISU at the time was making about $76,000.

https://boardofed.idaho.gov/finance_admin/fin_admin/2013-2014/ISU%20Athletc%20Comp%20Report%2013-14.pdf

I'd guess he was in the $60,000 - $65,000 range here.

So he probably didn't double it... but he damn sure got a nice raise.

Are you sure on the 60-65k? I'm almost positive I saw when Swett left the receiver coach position it was like 50K. Maybe they gave Troxel more to get him here but 60-65 is a lot more.

As an OC in Poky too Trox is probably a few years away from getting an FCS or D2 head coaching job. Not so much as an inside WRs coach here at the UM (I would guess)

Latest posts

Back