• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Mountain West

Stop_HammerTime69

The State of Montana is generally considered part of the Mountain West region, but I realized that I don’t remember the last time the Griz played a Mountain West Conference opponent. Since the Mountain West hit 12 teams in 2013, 11 seasons, Montana and Montana State have each played Wyoming one time a piece. That is the extent of our football relationships with the Mountain West.

But even historically, the Montana teams haven’t played the Mountain West teams much. Only the series against Boise State, Utah State, and MSU vs Fresno State and Wyoming eclipse 20 games all time.

vs. Montanavs. Montana State
Air ForceNANA
Boise State16-917-9
Colorado StateNA3-0-1
Fresno State1-011-16
Hawaii4-11-1
Nevada10-412-6
New Mexico10-40-1-1
San Diego StateNA3-0
San Jose State3-04-0
UNLV4-12-0
Utah State26-821-5-6
Wyoming14-014-6
Source: Winsipedia

While this is a sobering reminder of the state of Montana football before Don Read, it does raise a question: why haven’t the Montana teams played these regional foes more often?

Nevada (and to a lesser extent Boise State) perplexes me, because Nevada joined the Big Sky in 1979 and played there for 12 years until moving up to the Big West in 1992. Chris Ault is still among the winningest head coaches in Big Sky history. Boise State joined the conference in 1969 and then joined Nevada in the Big West in 1996 (taking Idaho with them). This is interesting to me because, with the general dearth of teams out west, there would be more interest in playing teams you have some history with.

Now, I could see an argument that, in the modern era, Montana and Montana State are two the only programs for whom home game gate attendance make up a significant chunk of their athletic department revenue. So, play one “buy-game” against the Northwest Pac-12 teams every 3-4 years but otherwise stack your non-conference with as many home games as possible, especially if you don’t need the money. Additionally, with the exception of Utah State and maybe Wyoming and Boise State, it is generally easier to get to Seattle and Pullman and Oregon than it is to any of the college towns in the Mountain West. And Montana has played the 4 PNW Pac schools more than the MWC schools for that reason and ancient conference membership in the PCC.

I bring this up today, the day the Pac-12 has died, because I find it really odd that UM and MSU haven’t cultivated more football relationships with the only Western FBS conference left. With the possibility of revenue sharing agreements, the NCAA getting bodied in the supreme court, and recent consolidation, we are not far away from the tippy top end of the sport splitting off from the FBS or the NCAA entirely. A new line will be drawn. And while I like the Big Sky - which comes with winning lots of games, and playing regional opponents and our historic rivals EWU, Idaho, and MSU - seeing Jacksonville State, James Madison, Sam Houston State, and now Delaware and Missouri State moving up, along with Appalachian State and Wyoming feature so prominently in the new EA College Football 25 trailer; it all makes me wonder what our athletic department/s are doing to make sure we are on the right side of the line when it is inevitably drawn. Maybe we don’t want to be on that side of the line either. It costs a lot of money and community resources to support that endeavor. The big issue to me is I’m not clear on what UM and MSU actually want to do. It also doesn’t seem like there’s any interest from the Mountain West either. It seems like there’s a divide between Montana and the rest of the Rockies and I’d like to hear from people who know or understand why that is.

From a financial standpoint, and don't for a second think there is any other reason, it makes zero sense to play a MWC school.
The State of Montana is generally considered part of the Mountain West region, but I realized that I don’t remember the last time the Griz played a Mountain West Conference opponent. Since the Mountain West hit 12 teams in 2013, 11 seasons, Montana and Montana State have each played Wyoming one time a piece. That is the extent of our football relationships with the Mountain West.

But even historically, the Montana teams haven’t played the Mountain West teams much. Only the series against Boise State, Utah State, and MSU vs Fresno State and Wyoming eclipse 20 games all time.

vs. Montanavs. Montana State
Air ForceNANA
Boise State16-917-9
Colorado StateNA3-0-1
Fresno State1-011-16
Hawaii4-11-1
Nevada10-412-6
New Mexico10-40-1-1
San Diego StateNA3-0
San Jose State3-04-0
UNLV4-12-0
Utah State26-821-5-6
Wyoming14-014-6
Source: Winsipedia

While this is a sobering reminder of the state of Montana football before Don Read, it does raise a question: why haven’t the Montana teams played these regional foes more often?

Nevada (and to a lesser extent Boise State) perplexes me, because Nevada joined the Big Sky in 1979 and played there for 12 years until moving up to the Big West in 1992. Chris Ault is still among the winningest head coaches in Big Sky history. Boise State joined the conference in 1969 and then joined Nevada in the Big West in 1996 (taking Idaho with them). This is interesting to me because, with the general dearth of teams out west, there would be more interest in playing teams you have some history with.

Now, I could see an argument that, in the modern era, Montana and Montana State are two the only programs for whom home game gate attendance make up a significant chunk of their athletic department revenue. So, play one “buy-game” against the Northwest Pac-12 teams every 3-4 years but otherwise stack your non-conference with as many home games as possible, especially if you don’t need the money. Additionally, with the exception of Utah State and maybe Wyoming and Boise State, it is generally easier to get to Seattle and Pullman and Oregon than it is to any of the college towns in the Mountain West. And Montana has played the 4 PNW Pac schools more than the MWC schools for that reason and ancient conference membership in the PCC.

I bring this up today, the day the Pac-12 has died, because I find it really odd that UM and MSU haven’t cultivated more football relationships with the only Western FBS conference left. With the possibility of revenue sharing agreements, the NCAA getting bodied in the supreme court, and recent consolidation, we are not far away from the tippy top end of the sport splitting off from the FBS or the NCAA entirely. A new line will be drawn. And while I like the Big Sky - which comes with winning lots of games, and playing regional opponents and our historic rivals EWU, Idaho, and MSU - seeing Jacksonville State, James Madison, Sam Houston State, and now Delaware and Missouri State moving up, along with Appalachian State and Wyoming feature so prominently in the new EA College Football 25 trailer; it all makes me wonder what our athletic department/s are doing to make sure we are on the right side of the line when it is inevitably drawn. Maybe we don’t want to be on that side of the line either. It costs a lot of money and community resources to support that endeavor. The big issue to me is I’m not clear on what UM and MSU actually want to do. It also doesn’t seem like there’s any interest from the Mountain West either. It seems like there’s a divide between Montana and the rest of the Rockies and I’d like to hear from people who know or understand why that is.
Plain and simple, zero financial benefit.

From a financial standpoint, and don't for a second think there is any other reason, it makes zero sense to play a MWC school.

Plain and simple, zero financial benefit.
So are we just not going to play FBS schools anymore? The Big Ten aint gonna let UW and Oregon schedule FCS teams anymore, and Oregon State and Washington State are probably the most vulnerable to getting got by us if they scheduled us in one of their non-MWC or instate rival spots, and they have Portland State and EWU that their state legs would probably prefer they play anyways. We're probably not going to go down to BYU, Colorado, or Utah either.

And if paying D2 schools to come to Missoula for more home games is better (which, more home games are) that's more fun on fall Saturdays anyways. I'm just asking about the non-con scheduling philosophy and whether or not this station is the height of Griz football.

It's not complicated. FBS teams cannot come to Missoula so any play-up game will be a road game. Montana needs in the range of $700,000 payout for a road game to counterbalance the revenue loss of a home game. Historically, Oregon, Udub and Iowa have come through with that cash. MWC teams cannot afford that kind of payout. The exception was the Wyoming game where Montana took a lower payout as a gesture to the fanbase.

So are we just not going to play FBS schools anymore? The Big Ten aint gonna let UW and Oregon schedule FCS teams anymore, and Oregon State and Washington State are probably the most vulnerable to getting got by us if they scheduled us in one of their non-MWC or instate rival spots, and they have Portland State and EWU that their state legs would probably prefer they play anyways. We're probably not going to go down to BYU, Colorado, or Utah either.

And if paying D2 schools to come to Missoula for more home games is better (which, more home games are) that's more fun on fall Saturdays anyways. I'm just asking about the non-con scheduling philosophy and whether or not this station is the height of Griz football.
All depends on the finances. With the shifting FBS environment, playing a MWC school may happen, but there was a reason it didn't happen in the prior landscape.

Maybe someday we’ll reach the level of success that Missouri St has reached and only then can we hope to make the jump to FBS.
Can't do it with the travel costs. Have you seen the prices of canvas lately? The covered wagon expenditures would be crazy. Not to mention, we could break an axle, or someone could get dysentery along the way. We can't afford to take one of those new-fangled dirigibles with wings to conference games. Besides, the college athletics landscape is very well established and very unlikely to change.

Pretty soon all the good and even not so good FCS teams will move up.But no worries for the Griz they can play Carroll and Tech.At least the younger quarterbacks will get some experience.

Pretty soon all the good and even not so good FCS teams will move up.But no worries for the Griz they can play Carroll and Tech.At least the younger quarterbacks will get some experience.
I see no reason for all the good teams in FCS to move up, and I don't see where many of them could move. If you are excited about Conference USA, go for it. I'm not.

When I was a student at USU in the 90's being from western Montana I really wanted to see the Aggies play UM and MSU in football and basketball. Especially football since I am not much of a basketball fan. I asked our AD about it and I was told that we couldn't play at Missoula or Bozeman (for reasons).

In our case we could get cheaper Div I-AA (that is what FCS was called back then) opponents that what UM would want. And in the Montana schools case they could get more money at home or more on the road than what we (USU) would pay. So from a financial standpoint it didn't make sense for either side.

My hope is the Oregon State and Washington State try to rebuild the Pac and take probably BSU, SDSU, Fresno and maybe Air Force with them. They would leave the rest of the MWC alone and maybe pick up some AAC schools. Then remaining MWC rebuilds with UM,MSU, Idaho and maybe NMSU or UTEP. The Group of 5 goes to a play off and the new MWC would be:

UM, MSU, Idaho, Wyoming, San Jose State, Utah State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Nevada, UNLV and Hawaii (football only). I would love it, most likely will never happen.

That said, you have a pretty good thing going with a good team and good crowds, enjoy what you have.

That was also the first time in a century that UM has beaten Washington. Monumental amazing win, but we need a little context there.
No argument with your point. I am just pointing out the facts. The probability that the Griz win is very low in most cases. Still, it is a gamble to play Montana or Montana State as a warmup game. The chance exists for a loss and paying a pretty sum in the process.

I see no reason for all the good teams in FCS to move up, and I don't see where many of them could move. If you are excited about Conference USA, go for it. I'm not.
Oh yeah, conference-USA would suck to be in. Its just a bit ridiculous these teams get the media benefits of being FBS through little more than a legal technicality.

My hope is the Oregon State and Washington State try to rebuild the Pac and take probably BSU, SDSU, Fresno and maybe Air Force with them. They would leave the rest of the MWC alone and maybe pick up some AAC schools. Then remaining MWC rebuilds with UM,MSU, Idaho and maybe NMSU or UTEP. The Group of 5 goes to a play off and the new MWC would be:
Any reason you wouldn't want the Griz to join the Pac 2 schools along with the others you propose ... seems like a better fit. Yes I know before every one jumps my $hit there is still an issue with # of teams competing for both men and women... just an alignment thought...

Back