• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Bubble today

I like parks and public green spaces. This is just a disappointing use of prime park space that was available to the whole campus community and city of Missoula, but now is blocked off for the exclusive use of athletics.

I cannot wait for Paul Lasiter to move on from Missoula. His "vision" for campus has been nothing but destructive.

Its more disappointment than outrage at this point. Damage has been done, can't fix it. Glad UM joins the ranks of the big boys with an indoor facility. Wish it didn't come at the expense of the river bowl
Seems like you’re forgetting that the space can still be used by the public (though to be fair, they’d need to reserve/rent it) AND still can be used by exsisting students for winter intramurals.

Another reminder (again) that the building is designed so that it can be a permanent structure in the future. It could be done cheaper and sooner with the bubble - so that is what they did.

Lastly, the river bowl, while accessible by the public, isn’t “public greenspace” because the university owns the land. They can do what they want to do with their property - especially if the whole shebang is privately funded.

I DO know that there on some folks at the university that are disappointed that because it was privately funded, it didn’t need to go through all of the sustainability checks (which likely would have delayed the project longer).

4l4vbi.gif

Wrong again. There was no anointed starter last year until McDowell proved that he was better on the playing field and earned the starting spot. Cat fans continually stating opinions about their backups as fact is the point of discussion. Try to stay on track.
Really? Vidlack wasn't a starter? Ok, lol. It's Ok it happens. Tommy was better than the starter at the time too.

Really? Vidlack wasn't a starter? Ok, lol. It's Ok it happens. Tommy was better than the starter at the time too.

You're equivocating. Vidlak was never named the starter and he and McDowell were rotating until the coaching staff determined that McDowell was the better player and needed to be QB1. Vidlak was never QB1. It's not that hard to understand.

You're equivocating. Vidlak was never named the starter and he and McDowell were rotating until the coaching staff determined that McDowell was the better player and needed to be QB1. Vidlak was never QB1. It's not that hard to understand.
This bozo is arguing about something he knows nothing about. He obviously didn't follow the UM QB competition, nor know about the rotation and McDowell also starting some and playing a decent amount. Of course, that's about his knowledge level of the Cats too.

Dude it has 6 sprint lanes plus jump pits and tons of space for throws. That’s everything they need. It’s not like they were ever gonna host indoor meets in there any way
Does UM indoor TF not have middle/long distance runners or relay teams?

I’m sure the UM TF is ecstatic they have to continue to travel to Bozeman for their indoor meets. Haha.

I’m sure the UM TF is ecstatic they have to continue to travel to Bozeman for their indoor meets. Haha.
Neither of the indoor practice facilities have the space to qualify for full indoor track meets. That was not ever in consideration as a part of this project, and track and field is fine with it because no other expectations were ever set.

Yes they do, but to improvise, I'm sure they could just run laps around the Football field. Relays might be kind of tough to work on though

Dude it has 6 sprint lanes plus jump pits and tons of space for throws. That’s everything they need. It’s not like they were ever gonna host indoor meets in there any way
UM doesn’t have an indoor track that all the athletes can use. This obviously wouldn’t be for meets, but it could have been! This was an opportunity to do that, and it seems like a missed one to me. I personally think it’s better to build bigger/more than what you need at the moment, because things generally don’t get cheaper in the future.

UM doesn’t have an indoor track that all the athletes can use. This obviously wouldn’t be for meets, but it could have been! This was an opportunity to do that, and it seems like a missed one to me. I personally think it’s better to build bigger/more than what you need at the moment, because things generally don’t get cheaper in the future.
Even if they would've built a full indoor track, they still wouldn't have been able to meet the requirements needed to host meets inside. Same goes for Soccer. They would never be able to host games in there. This is just strictly a training facility, not a competition facility.

Sure - if I had a magic wand I'd have made myself a football player. When something is privately funded, you deal with the cards you get. They'd still be trying to raise more money if they wanted to build bigger/better and then there would be people complaining about it taking too long to build.

Sure - if I had a magic wand I'd have made myself a football player. When something is privately funded, you deal with the cards you get. They'd still be trying to raise more money if they wanted to build bigger/better and then there would be people complaining about it taking too long to build.
Somehow the neighbors were able to do it. I’m just saying I think it was a missed opportunity. I’m a huge track fan, I realize most others aren’t, but it’s a shame that UM doesn’t have an indoor track, and here there was an opportunity, and it was missed. Is it a huge deal? Of course not. Doesn’t mean it can’t be pointed out.

I'm certain msdui's building (if it ever gets constructed. And then doesn't collapse like the others, of course) will be very useful the msdui soccer team.

Wait....

Somehow the neighbors were able to do it. I’m just saying I think it was a missed opportunity. I’m a huge track fan, I realize most others aren’t, but it’s a shame that UM doesn’t have an indoor track, and here there was an opportunity, and it was missed. Is it a huge deal? Of course not. Doesn’t mean it can’t be pointed out.
Fair - but how do we know it was "missed?" (I'm not saying I know, either). For all we know (unless you know something I don't) maybe it was looked at, but was too cost-prohibitive.

Also - I'm sure you know this, but once upon a time ago, UM did have an indoor track in the Fieldhouse (which - I believe the indoor track was permanently removed when they revamped the Adams Center - or maybe before).

To your bolded above - what were they able to do? They already have indoor track facilities in Brick Breeden and have had them there forever. How is it a missed opportunity for them - when their indoor track facilities already exist? If they were able to "build it bigger than needed" they would have had an actual-sized football field (120 yards from the back of one endzone to the back of the other) instead of an 80-yard field (100 total from the back of one endzone to the other).

Last edited:
Back