• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt discusses the Offense

Fahque said:
poorgriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Thanks for posting that, brewskis.

Have to wonder if Jeremy Calhoun will get some carries if Counts or Favors isn't healthy come fall.

Agree on the OL - good to hear that Stitt likes what he sees there.

And then there's the receiving "core"... :roll: It may be tough for Stitt to keep Daum and Rooks and Calhoun off the field.
Several points. First, while I liked the "good side" of his comments about the OL, it is worrisome that he doesn't think we have the kind of two-deep line that's really required by his super-fast offense.
Receivers: The videos of his Mines team don't really let you see the whole field that well ... but I get the impression that most plays have a least one guy running his a** off on a deep pattern. It would make sense that he would want to always have a fresh receiver for that option.

Lot's of Stitt "Hoping" for things in that interview. Hoping to find a backup QB, better 2nd string receivers, O line depth, players buying in and "getting it", working hard over the Summer, etc.

I had a long conversation with a griz fan buddy of mine last night over drinks. He is a great fan, but reasonable. He understands that there won't be any "magic" for the griz in 2015, and they will probably struggle in 2015, but should be considerably better in 2016, at least offensively, as long ad you find or develop two great QB's. He also said Stitt really wants a dual threat QB, but just doesn't have one right now that can process plays and throw as well as BG.
Just a hunch but I'm guessing your "Griz fan" source doesn't know what he's talking about

Me thinks hat means that it's better to have a dual threat QB that can actually a threat to either run and/or throw while keeping a quick pace with the offense.

griz5700 said:
grizcountry420 said:
poorgriz said:
So he doesn't want a dual threat QB? Jesus the IQ of this board can be staggering at times. Go ahead and look at how often his QB's ran the ball at CSOM. Notice, I've not once said that the QB being able to run is more important than quick decision making skills and knowing where and accurately getting the ball where it needs to be, but it is important nonetheless. If Stidd truly ever came out and said, "It makes not difference to me whether or not my QB can run..." then he'd simply be lying because he knows his current guy is not a mobile QB.

Im really interested in seeing how Gus performs without a red jersey on..

Me too. Be nice to see him break some of those runs rather than blowing the play dead as soon as he gets loose.

Longer than his personal best!

krammer said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
According to http://www.athletic.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, here are the career 100 and 200 results (2 best in each event), with track 2015 still going on:

1) Dalton Daum ---- 10.66/10.86...21.62/21.70
2) Kobey Eaton ---- 11.14/11.31...22.24/22.31
3) Justin Calhoun -- 11.38/11.53...24.32/24.35 (200 results for soph yr only)
4) Dovovan Rooks -- 11.58...........23.45/23.84 (200 results for soph yr only)
5) Holden Ryan -----11.69/11.75....23.33/24.83
6) Colin Bingham --- Shot Put and Discuss athlete

I like the discussion, all these guys are quick....I see the inside guy more like a burke/ryan mold, that are tall, big frame and still pretty darn quick,,,,i love bingham too, but what a d/e or linebacker he would be for the griz......plus it would appear we are going to have a lot of deph at wide receiver.....im just excited to be a griz with the quality of athlete we are attracting .......

I was watching ESPN last night and saw this timely piece, former 49'ers head coach Steve Mariucci asked Heisman Trophy winning QB Marcus Mariota to draw up his "favorite red-zone play".

Mariota said we like this play alot, because we like our match-up with our "Y" (Split-out Ryan and Bingham type player) on the defenses' SAM linebacker (strong side LB) or SS (strong safety). Formation-wise, they run 10 personnel (1 RB and 0 TE), shotgun QB, single Halfback, and 4 receivers (X,F,Y,Z) lining up Trips Right (into the field). Against man coverage, the Z runs a shallow cross, the Y pushes straight up-field to 10-12 yards into the endzone and then breaks it off flat towards the middle of the field, the F (Flanker) runs a short Jerk Route. While alone in the boundary, the X runs a flag route (to the back pylon). These route combinations free up the Y, in one-on-one coverage, to use their big bodies in the middle of the field (back of the end zone and in the QBs direct line of sight) to shield the defender and go up and catch a high laser for an easy TD.

That is where I see our big receivers (especially Bingham) making his hay (as far as scoring). In addition to drag patterns, I would also like seeing our Y receivers run out-patterns into the flat. I want to see secondaries handle that (when the Y catches the ball and turns a head of steam up-field) . Not fun for the secondary. :lol: Fun for our big receivers, and Griz Fans however! Hitch patterns as well. :thumb:

westnodak93bison said:
Yeah the fast break offense is fun to watch but when is the last time it won a championship? Ohio State destroyed OR.

Ironic comment.

I can tell you that Stitt's offense will resemble OSU more than it does Oregon.

westnodak93bison said:
Yeah the fast break offense is fun to watch but when is the last time it won a championship? Ohio State destroyed OR.
Note that Oregon's offense scored enough points to win (20) but it was Oregon's defense that got schooled. Defense wins championships...

Grisly Fan said:
westnodak93bison said:
Note that Oregon's offense scored enough points to win (20) but it was Oregon's defense that got schooled. Defense wins championships...
Yeah but I doubt 20 was what OR was expecting. They probably thought they needed 30+ to win.

westnodak93bison said:
Grisly Fan said:
westnodak93bison said:
Yeah but I doubt 20 was what OR was expecting. They probably thought they needed 30+ to win.

Oregon is like EWU... they rely on their offense to win games and their defense kind of skates by until they get schooled by a more balanced team. It really doesn't matter that Oregon couldn't score 30 when the defense couldn't stop the other team.

get'em_griz said:
westnodak93bison said:
Grisly Fan said:
westnodak93bison said:

Oregon is like EWU... they rely on their offense to win games and their defense kind of skates by until they get schooled by a more balanced team. It really doesn't matter that Oregon couldn't score 30 when the defense couldn't stop the other team.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Stitt O is not the Oregon O. They are only similar in velocity of play orientation = fast. Any other similarities are likely accidental. Stitt's O, is west coast, timing, and back-shoulder throws, pass first style.

griz5700 said:
westnodak93bison said:

DING DING DING!! You are correct.
I expect the Griz to have a more balanced team and a better defense (proportionately) than Oregon. We may need to make a couple changes defensively....we'll see. But I'm sure if something does need to happen on the defensive side of the ball Stitt will address it.

I wish we went with a run heavy boring offense. Its not as much fun watch but is stable and gives you a chance to win. these offenses seem to start a season fast but peter out as defenses catch up at the end of the year when there is more tape to help figure it out. This style offense can wear your own defense out in hurry when they dont work.

Stitts offense works because there are many options to go with the ball on every play. The defense can't take away everything, Stitts QB will find the defenses weakness (on every play).

I hope your right cause if it dont work the program will not challenge for a title for quite awhile.

toyota1 said:
I wish we went with a run heavy boring offense. Its not as much fun watch but is stable and gives you a chance to win. these offenses seem to start a season fast but peter out as defenses catch up at the end of the year when there is more tape to help figure it out. This style offense can wear your own defense out in hurry when they dont work.

Good spread-style offenses are run-first offenses. Do you remember the semifinal run that ended with the loss to SHS? Pflu's spread offense ran the hell out of the ball. Delaney tried to go to a run-heavy, NDSU style offense, and didn't have the horses up-front to get it done. Nothing wrong with it, if you have a great offensive line. If not, you have what we suffered through the last couple of years. That was truly boring. Stitt's offense was one of the five best in all of college football in time of possession.

PS. Can't run road grader-style offenses unless your fan base is obese. Just a fact of life. Got to be a balance there.

Stitts offense has won him no championships, just three conferece titles and a 63.5% of his games in fourteen years. If that happens here he will be fired in four. Mickey Mouse offenses are for teams that cannt recruit top players. I just believe in pro style offenses. Hope I am wrong.

toyota1 said:
Stitts offense has won him no championships, just three conferece titles and a 63.5% of his games in fourteen years. If that happens here he will be fired in four. Mickey Mouse offenses are for teams that cannt recruit top players. I just believe in pro style offenses. Hope I am wrong.

Yeah, Oregon can't recruit top players, right. Just the Heisman winner. A real scrub.

toyota1 said:

He won 63.5% of his games after taking over the BSC equivalent of Idaho State. Turned the conference doormat into a 3-time conference champion. And he did it recruiting kids who had to qualify to get into the school and only those who were seeking engineering degrees. He has no such shackles on him now....something tells me he'll do much better than 63%. but I do agree that if after 4 years he's only won 63% he'll probably be gone.

toyota1 said:
No worries mate, you shall get your wish....because you are wrong. This Stitt fellow is the real deal. :thumb:

Back