• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

MikeyGriz said:
argh! said:
but i thought scobey do be do be do? the translation, of course, is that they are existential doers, so obviously they have lots of jobs. and houses to buy. never mind that my quick search said there aren't any houses to buy. i haven't got to the help wanted section yet, but i bet...

Bet there's not a lot of unemployment in Scobey

You'd lose. Businesses are desperate for workers all over this state, including the small towns. Lots of CARE and AARP and stimulus money projects out there but it's hell to find workers for the contractors hired.

Montanabob said:
TCCGRIZ said:
That and the lack of manufacturing jobs in the USA , mmmmm wonder where they went ????

guessing you should check country of origin on the products you buy.

there is a free app called 'cultivate' that claims it will tell you the country of origin of items you are considering for purchase. it says it works on most major seller websites, i.e. amazon. i've tried it, with mixed results, so i don't know whether to recommend it or not.

mcg said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Yep. My dad was in the trades for 40 years, my mom was a stay at home, and we always had a roof over our heads. When I was in second grade, my parents had a new house built. Years later, they told me the lot cost $4k, and the construction was around $70k. 3300 square feet on half an acre. It had everything to do with the choices he made and nothing to do with COL. I choose a brand new single family home for $74k.

Look, Soldier, nobody is saying it makes someone a bad person if he or she benefitted from certain circumstances. I also don't think it diminishes their accomplishments. What I do think is that it's a bit naïve to think it's just as easy today if you just "make good choices". Example: A good friend just bought a house in Newport (Port Streets if you're familiar) for $2.2 million. It's about 2,500 sq. ft. and needs wall to wall renovation. Now, I personally don't think that was a good choice, but that's a different discussion. The thing that struck me is his next door neighbors who have lived there for 25+ years are a retired public school teacher on one side, and a retired cop on the other. Cool guys and noble professions for sure, but the days of teachers and cops buying in that neighborhood are sadly over. It's a shame because it was probably a great middle class, family-type neighborhood back in the day.

To echo CDA I have friends who live in a Colorado mountain town, three kids. He's a diesel equipment mechanic and she's a physical therapist. Bought their house 30 years ago a raised a great family. Their neighborhood is now a few air bnb's and lots of second homes. There is absolutely no way a mechanic and PT could buy a house in that neighborhood. And......the town they live in can't hire enough diesel mechanics to keep the town's trucks workable and if you need a PT you might be able to get an appointment in 6 or 8 weeks. I have no idea what the solution to this problem is, but for these making a choice live in the neighborhood they grew up in is prolly not an option.

There is an owner of a restaurant in a ski town in Colorado that actually built accommodations for its' employees and charges them something around $1,500 or so a month versus the $2,500 per month for similar room. Anyway, that is one solution that that business did. If a business can't find employees due to the high cost of real estate, they may or will have to pay higher salaries but also subsidize the rent for their workers as you can't always rely on local government to subsidize it. Missoula is certainly trying to do it, though. Say hi to ever higher property tax bills.

horribilisfan8184 said:
argh! said:
your post is nothing more than self-aggrandizing bullshit, the age-old "my generation is tougher than yours" blather. but, it obviously gives you a sense of instant gratification, and, i suppose, depression when you get laughed at for your self-absorbed view of the world.

Bought first home at 27, the first year I made over $30K for $45K

I mean, that's kind of the point here, is it not? You bought a home (not sure where) when your gross was 2/3 the price of the home. Practically no 27yo can do that now. It might be possible in Scobey. But, hey, good on you. That's really impressive.

It is more difficult to afford a house. The payments below are based on a conventional 30 year mortgage at 3.00% fixed with 20% down.

In 1998 I purchased my home in Missoula for $240,000. I paid $48,000 down and the monthly principal and interest (P&I) payment was $809.

In today’s market, I could sell my home for $750,000. The buyer would pay $150,000 down and monthly P&I would be $2,530. With real estate taxes and insurance the monthly payment would be $3,200.

My home value today is over three times it’s cost. In order to afford the home today a person would need to make three times what I was earning in 1998 in a similar position. Today those positions earn one and a half to two times my 1998 earnings.

As to college, I attended a private university in the early 1970s. Tuition, room and board was $3,600 a year, about 10% of our family income. Today it is $75,000 a year.

Quality of life has changed a lot in American history, and is somewhat cyclical based on a myriad of factors. Yes it's not as easy to afford a house as it was in the 60s or 70s, but at least we don't have child labor anymore so there's that. I really don't want to get in the middle of this fight, but it's always good to have a little perspective and thankfulness. I'm writing this post on my smartphone while sitting on my leather electric recliner loveseat in my 2500 square foot house. My life is considerably better than either of my grandparents, who lived through the depression and were desperately poor to their dying day, yet managed to raise a passel of children. When I am tempted to feel sorry for myself for any reason, I think back to my grandparents and it cures me of my attitude in a hurry.

Anyway, I doubt I can really be the voice of reason here so carry on.

EverettGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
Can be. If you take on a crap ton of student debt that propels you into a field that makes little money - that is a poor choice. Why would someone go to TCU to become a teacher, when they can go to Texas State for much cheaper? That is just flat-out a bad choice. Want to be a social worker? Go to community college for 2 years, then find the cheapest possible way to finish that degree.

There are those who believe a college education is job training. I'm not one of those people.

Maybe. But, it can be...accountants need to know accounting. Engineers need to know whatever engineers need to know. Computer science majors need to know IT. My point is - some professions require a skill. A degree in English...might produce a superb employee...I don't disagree. But, they need to be lucky.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Quality of life has changed a lot in American history, and is somewhat cyclical based on a myriad of factors. Yes it's not as easy to afford a house as it was in the 60s or 70s, but at least we don't have child labor anymore so there's that. I really don't want to get in the middle of this fight, but it's always good to have a little perspective and thankfulness. I'm writing this post on my smartphone while sitting on my leather electric recliner loveseat in my 2500 square foot house. My life is considerably better than either of my grandparents, who lived through the depression and were desperately poor to their dying day, yet managed to raise a passel of children. When I am tempted to feel sorry for myself for any reason, I think back to my grandparents and it cures me of my attitude in a hurry.

You can be the voice of reason...as a mom of da boyz, what are their prospects to live better than you?

Wow! I tried to just make a friendly heads up so folks have a great gameday experience and it turns into 10 pages of politics!

SoldierGriz said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

You can be the voice of reason...as a mom of da boyz, what are their prospects to live better than you?

Why do they have to live better than me? What is living better anyway? 2/3 s of them have more education than I do, and they have more stuff than I did at their age so maybe they already are living better, but it's hard to quantify.

Da Boyz Mom said:
SoldierGriz said:

Why do they have to live better than me? What is living better anyway? 2/3 s of them have more education than I do, and they have more stuff than I did at their age so maybe they already are living better, but it's hard to quantify.

For many, it's common to want better for the kids. Maybe not for all.

behappp said:
garizzalies said:
I got a head full of ideas that are drivin' me insane

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q3euAfNhuR4

Dylan always has the right lyrics

#RATM Rocks It! Thanks for posting this!

Bulls on parade came out in ‘96.

Killing in the name of, in ‘91. 30 fucking years ago!

This gem dropped in ‘99. Notice the Trump for prez sign? 17 years before the election.

Way ahead of the times, and more applicable today than ever
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4wkIPiTcY

garizzalies said:
behappp said:
Dylan always has the right lyrics

#RATM Rocks It! Thanks for posting this!

Bulls on parade came out in ‘96.

Killing in the name of, in ‘91. 30 f###[#] years ago!

This gem dropped in ‘99. Notice the Trump for prez sign? 17 years before the election.

Way ahead of the times, and more applicable today than ever
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4wkIPiTcY

Rage was one of my favorites in highschool. Sitting in my buddies impala listening to Rage, Snoop, and 311....

SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
Says the guy who has had subsidized food, subsidized housing and subsidized medical care his entire adult life.

Based on the CHOICE I made. BTW - my medical care is free, and my kid is going to college for free using my post 9/11 GI Bill. No one forced me to serve...I chose it.

Good choices pay off. Bad choices do not. Simple.

You're nothing short of amazing. Wish we could all be so great. Not at all like most doggies I know that joined the army because the judge in town forced them to. Then spent 20 years there avoiding work because they couldn't make it in the real world. Then actually have the nerve to brag about it.

Montanabob said:
TCCGRIZ said:
That and the lack of manufacturing jobs in the USA , mmmmm wonder where they went ????

guessing you should check country of origin on the products you buy.

I do lol , Problem was when we let one manufacturer go overseas . The flood started . Give them an inch they take a mile . Thats why it's so important to fight to keep our rights . Give the government an inch , they'll take a mile

CDAGRIZ said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Bought first home at 27, the first year I made over $30K for $45K

I mean, that's kind of the point here, is it not? You bought a home (not sure where) when your gross was 2/3 the price of the home. Practically no 27yo can do that now. It might be possible in Scobey. But, hey, good on you. That's really impressive.

In this interest rate market you don’t need to. P&I on a 450,000 loan is only about $1750 a month. LOTS of affordable housing (and way more affordable than renting, especially when you factor in the tax benefits).

Da Boyz Mom said:
SoldierGriz said:

Great questions. It’s like its some god given right. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

In this interest rate market you don’t need to. P&I on a 450,000 loan is only about $1750 a month. LOTS of affordable housing (and way more affordable than renting, especially when you factor in the tax benefits).

So, just $300k/year income, and every 27yo can do just what horriblis did.

Back