• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Game

dayday said:
https://helenair.com/sports/college/frontier-conference/montana-tech/montana-tech-montana-western-opt-out-of-2021-spring-football-season/article_e2e135a9-b27b-567b-8dda-fb71978c6da6.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_helenaironline

I wonder if this helps gets one of them on the schedule for our second exhibition match.

Expect it.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
Yeah. Makes no sense to play the team down the road who’s also looking for an FCS opponent. That would be just dumb.

Neither team wants to play in what equates to a scrimmage, and I can't say that I blame them.
If they consider this game just that, why play a game at all?

Cowboys84 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Neither team wants to play in what equates to a scrimmage, and I can't say that I blame them.

Are you suggesting that just because they don't want to scrimmage each other that both don' want to have a few scrimmages so it isn't a two year layoff when the Fall rolls around?

HelenaHandBasket said:
Cowboys84 said:

Are you suggesting that just because they don't want to scrimmage each other that both don' want to have a few scrimmages so it isn't a two year layoff when the Fall rolls around?

I'm not suggesting anything like that. I'm asking if both teams are looking for a game, why not play each other instead of trying to find a lower level team to beat up on and proves nothing.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Cowboys84 said:

I looked just out of curiosity the weather comparisons between cheney washington and missoula montana
Missoula - February on average is 39.8 for a high, 21.2 for an average low
In March- 49.8 and 27.7
In April- 55.8 and 32.8

Cheney- February is 40.8 and 23.6
March- 49.8 and 27.8.
April- 61.6 and 33.9.
Differences are not that drastic, why in your honest opinion is eastern playing and the grizzlies are not?.. Can't see weather as a factor.

Cowboys84 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I'm not suggesting anything like that. I'm asking if both teams are looking for a game, why not play each other instead of trying to find a lower level team to beat up on and proves nothing.

They are a scrimmage, so not sure what they would be trying to prove. You get your first team some reps and let your younger kids play a lot. I completely understand why they wouldn't want to play, even in a scrimmage, in a contest that means zero.

Cowboys84 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I looked just out of curiosity the weather comparisons between cheney washington and missoula montana
In March- 49.8 and 27.7
In April- 55.8 and 32.8

March- 49.8 and 27.8.
April- 61.6 and 33.9.
Differences are not that drastic, why in your honest opinion is eastern playing and the grizzlies are not?.. Can't see weather as a factor.

I believe it was mainly to do with being able to practice safely. Sure, Feb average in Missoula is 39.8, but you don't start practicing in February to play in February. Without an indoor practice facility, it just isn't doable in the weather we get in late December / the month of January. So yes, weather is a factor. MSU isn't playing for same reason. Just can't safely prepare to be able to play in February.

I really don't understand how a state that doesn't even have a mask mandate anymore, doesn't play football but, every other state seems to be playing..

If we can have basketball games, we could have football. Makes zero sense. Also all these teams playing are going to know where they're at come fall ball. Griz and Bobcats will just be figuring shit out and I have a horrible feeling it's going to result in a bad year for us.

Cowboys84 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

In March- 49.8 and 27.7
In April- 55.8 and 32.8

March- 49.8 and 27.8.
April- 61.6 and 33.9.

If you can't practice in 40 degree weather, something is wrong. Perhaps we should change our name to Puzzies.

cclarkblues said:
Cowboys84 said:
In March- 49.8 and 27.7
In April- 55.8 and 32.8

March- 49.8 and 27.8.
April- 61.6 and 33.9.

If you can't practice in 40 degree weather, something is wrong. Perhaps we should change our name to Puzzies.

Do you think it would have benefited the team more to have played in the spring? Or are you saying this purely for the fact you wanted to watch them play? We of course all want to watch the Griz play but I feel it will benefit us to put the sole focus on fall 2021. We still get at least one spring exhibition game, possibly two. Watching the NAU/SUU game right now and it’s some pretty sorry looking football so far...

RainierGriz said:
cclarkblues said:

Do you think it would have benefited the team more to have played in the spring? Or are you saying this purely for the fact you wanted to watch them play? We of course all want to watch the Griz play but I feel it will benefit us to put the sole focus on fall 2021. We still get at least one spring exhibition game, possibly two. Watching the NAU/SUU game right now and it’s some pretty sorry looking football so far...

I think if you don't play for 2 years it is going to hurt. And the first game, conference or non-conference often is awful. I think we will be behind most teams in America at any level. Maybe not, maybe the Cats and Griz strategy is genius, I hope so. To me it seems more like a spring scrimmage than a game.

cclarkblues said:
RainierGriz said:

I think if you don't play for 2 years it is going to hurt. And the first game, conference or non-conference often is awful. I think we will be behind most teams in America at any level. Maybe not, maybe the Cats and Griz strategy is genius, I hope so. To me it seems more like a spring scrimmage than a game.

True... tough/impossible to replicate live competition. I definitely agree that will hurt us. Time will tell and just hope admin made the right call. Can only imagine the emotions of players in our first game after two years.

This just in: The latest casualty of the 'Covid Crisis' is administrative credibility. Stay tuned for further developments.

cclarkblues said:
RainierGriz said:

It's impossible to say yet how it will go, but on the flip side, the Cats and Griz get to have a more "normal" spring, where they can focus on building strength without having to worry about being in playing shape. I think I remember Andrew Schmidt talking about this on Twitter, but all the teams playing in the spring league are gonna miss out on some of the very important strength/mass-building portions of spring/winter ball, which is crucial for preparing for fall.

Griz/Cats might have more rust, but you could argue they'll be in better shape, too, and I think you're seeing some of the adverse effects of the spring schedule so far *cough*NDSU*cough*.

Latest posts

Back