• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Game wrap-up

BWahlberg said:
getgrizzy said:
did henderson play?
who started on the offensive line?

Oline I believe went Schmaing, Hines (#65), Weyer, Deitrich, Poole.

2nd string... I think was LaRowe, Kalekini, Hines (#65), Todd, Rokich

Looking at guys that didn't suit up was Kelly #79 who would normally be a tackle on the 2nd team and Hines #66 who is normally the starting center, which then bumps Weyer to starting guard and Deitrich back to 2nd string.

Dietrich is having a nice spring and may be working his way into the mix for playing time.

krammer said:
a big thanks to all who did a write up....
Thanks for covering the "controlled scrimmage" yesterday. This seemed like a waste of time to me. It was basically an open practice with LIVE action. Definitely not a traditional spring scrimmage. But I shouldnt complain because guys have been getting dinged up this week & I dont want to lose any of the fine playmakers I see we have on this offense. Defense looked pretty solid. The LBs are going to surprise people given who they have to replace. They will cover the pass better than last year but still unsure about the run. Durability will be key but there are a lot of combinations Gregorak can go with. Just hold opponents to 28 or less & we should win alot of games with offense.

mtgrizfankb said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
kemajic said:
NativeGriz said:
JJ did not have his best game-not much was there for him today except on the first series he made a nice connection for about 20 yards to Jamaal Jones(great move to get open) and a TD later in the scrum. JJ had a lot of trouble handling the snap. He's still our man, but not dialed in last night. Obviously part of that is weather, but also because of 4 QBs, they were trying to give every kid a chance, so JJ did not have much time to develop his rhythm.
IMO, by design, there were not many opportunities for rhythm to be established in the entire scrimmage. As BW stated, it was interesting. Go Griz.
The realization is starting to creep into my mind that we may have seen JJ's ceiling in the late 2011 Pflu offense. That set our expectations sky high. In this offense, he has been good, not great, and somewhat inconsistent. By the end of the NDSU game this fall, we should know where he belongs with all-time UM QBs.

Great observation, JJ can be good in this offense but not great.

When a coach takes half a skill set away nobody can be great tied down like that. I just hope coach G forgets about it and let's him play.

Really? JJ says his best skill set is reading the d and improvising. He enjoys this style more than the shotgun spread. Obviously you don't know JJ.
When comparing 2011 to 2013, do the numbers support that statement. This is not a challenge-I really don't know and I don't have the time to study JJ's individual stats.

NativeGriz said:
It was nice hanging with some people with good Griz FB knowledge. I don't know all the individual players as well. Thanks again for the warm up BW.
McKinney played well considering he just switched from QB.
I really like what I see in our future with Makena Simis. The kid has an arm.
SSH, made some good decisions to run with the ball when there was no place to throw.
Like Titlest stated, the throw by Gus was ill advised, but it looked like an NFL pass. It was a beauty and my favorite play of the scrimmage. My second favorite was the catch by Burke from SSH-it was MM type catch-really fun to watch.
John Nguyen, for a small guy has a lot of power and quick's. Please hold on to the ball.
JJ did not have his best game-not much was there for him today except on the first series he made a nice connection for about 20 yards to Jamaal Jones(great move to get open) and a TD later in the scrum. JJ had a lot of trouble handling the snap. He's still our man, but not dialed in last night. Obviously part of that is weather, but also because of 4 QBs, they were trying to give every kid a chance, so JJ did not have much time to develop his rhythm.
IMO, by design, there were not many opportunities for rhythm to be established in the entire scrimmage. As BW stated, it was interesting. Go Griz.

I thought you sat with Wahlberg and Mr T?

Did somebody next to them know something?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
NativeGriz said:
It was nice hanging with some people with good Griz FB knowledge. I don't know all the individual players as well. Thanks again for the warm up BW.
McKinney played well considering he just switched from QB.
I really like what I see in our future with Makena Simis. The kid has an arm.
SSH, made some good decisions to run with the ball when there was no place to throw.
Like Titlest stated, the throw by Gus was ill advised, but it looked like an NFL pass. It was a beauty and my favorite play of the scrimmage. My second favorite was the catch by Burke from SSH-it was MM type catch-really fun to watch.
John Nguyen, for a small guy has a lot of power and quick's. Please hold on to the ball.

I thought you sat with Wahlberg and Mr T?

Did somebody next to them know something?

I had some Fireball with me so his memory might've been cloudy

NativeGriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
kemajic said:
The realization is starting to creep into my mind that we may have seen JJ's ceiling in the late 2011 Pflu offense. That set our expectations sky high. In this offense, he has been good, not great, and somewhat inconsistent. By the end of the NDSU game this fall, we should know where he belongs with all-time UM QBs.

Great observation, JJ can be good in this offense but not great.

When a coach takes half a skill set away nobody can be great tied down like that. I just hope coach G forgets about it and let's him play.

Really? JJ says his best skill set is reading the d and improvising. He enjoys this style more than the shotgun spread. Obviously you don't know JJ.
When comparing 2011 to 2013, do the numbers support that statement. This is not a challenge-I really don't know and I don't have the time to study JJ's individual stats.

Here's what I see based on the 2011 to 2013 numbers:

JJ in 2011:

184.6 pass yards per game + 38.9 rush yards per game = 223.5 yards per game
2400 passing yards + 506 rushing yards = 2906 total yards
21 passing TDs + 4 rushing TDs = 25 total TDs
9 interceptions

JJ in 2013:

260 pass yards per game + 11.4 rush yards per game = 271.4 yards per game
3387 passing yards + 148 rushing yards = 3535 total yards
32 passing TDs and no rushing TDs = 32 total TDs
5 interceptions

--------------

It would appear that the 2013 system works better for JJ. However one has to consider that in 2011 JJ was a true sophomore and just finding his way. It's hard to compare the two side by side because the 2013 JJ is a more experienced and knowledgeable player. He also had one of the better UM defenses in 2011 and in 2013 found himself in a handful of shootouts that required a lot more out of him to pass the ball around late in the game.

Stats suggest 2013 was a better fit. Gut feeling for me though... thinking back to the stretch of the Weber/MSU/UCA/UNI/SHSU games... JJ was a beast at that point, given that period of time with more experience in the system... who knows, we could've seen even better numbers.

The offense played with the blustery wind to their back the whole scrimmage, nary a pass or kick into it (after warm-ups). Anybody have an idea why the coaches would do that?

brootgrizr said:
The offense played with the blustery wind to their back the whole scrimmage, nary a pass or kick into it (after warm-ups). Anybody have an idea why the coaches would do that?
Maybe because they were already struggling enough with the wind at their back.

BWahlberg said:
Stats suggest 2013 was a better fit. Gut feeling for me though... thinking back to the stretch of the Weber/MSU/UCA/UNI/SHSU games... JJ was a beast at that point, given that period of time with more experience in the system... who knows, we could've seen even better numbers.
My comment was specific to that "late 2011" period you refer to. It's not instructive to compare all of 2011 to 2013 because not only was JJ a green soph, he was hurt most of the early season. When he got healthy, the whole team took off; he looked invincible. Once UM stopped giving away scores to SHSU after the first 6 min, he had his way with them the rest of the game; SHSU had no answer but the clock. The domination he showed in that span of late 2011 games was not seen in 2013. The running threat he posed reduced the rush pressure; last year it seemed they just pinned their ears back and went after him. His running was not a factor in 2013. I hope late 2011 was not his ceiling and he crashes through it this year, but it has to be of concern.

brootgrizr said:

Probably because our geriatric HC didn't know he could'nt choose sides after he kicked off to start both halves?

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
My comment was specific to that "late 2011" period you refer to. It's not instructive to compare all of 2011 to 2013 because not only was JJ a green soph, he was hurt most of the early season. When he got healthy, the whole team took off; he looked invincible. Once UM stopped giving away scores to SHSU after the first 6 min, he had his way with them the rest of the game; SHSU had no answer but the clock. The domination he showed in that span of late 2011 games was not seen in 2013. The running threat he posed reduced the rush pressure; last year it seemed they just pinned their ears back and went after him. His running was not a factor in 2013. I hope late 2011 was not his ceiling and he crashes through it this year, but it has to be of concern.
Spot on, Kem!

Kendrick van Ackeren is a stud! But, they better put some meat on him or he won't be healthy for the next 2 years!

Back