• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Camp discussion: Offense

Justin Calhoun was the only receiver who consistently caught the quick slant on 3rd and 4 and 4th and 3, which always moved the chains. I don't ever remember him dropping one of those. He always seemed to come up with a big grab when we needed it. I hope he stays at WR and we find another corner or two.

HookedonGriz said:
Justin Calhoun was the only receiver who consistently caught the quick slant on 3rd and 4 94 4th and 3, which always moved the chains. I dork ever remember him dropping one of those. He always seemed to come up with a bug grab when we needed it. I hope he stays at WR and we find another corner or two.
I’m sorry, but those are some serious A+ typos. :lol: ;)

uofmman1122 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Justin Calhoun was the only receiver who consistently caught the quick slant on 3rd and 4 94 4th and 3, which always moved the chains. I dork ever remember him dropping one of those. He always seemed to come up with a bug grab when we needed it. I hope he stays at WR and we find another corner or two.
I’m sorry, but those are some serious A+ typos. :lol: ;)

Holy crap that was awful. I have fat thumbs. Corrected

Ursus1 said:
reinell30 said:
BWahlberg said:
reinell30 said:
I think Bobby will bring in a transfer for CB? Probably from the Junior college in San Diego.

Just a guess there, or have some insight? I could see him looking for safety or corner help for sure.

While we'll see for sure next week the current roster is:

Corner:
Dareon Nash
Josh Egbo
Lewis Cowans
Curtis Holmes
Kobey Eaton (rumored to be)
Justin Calhoun (also rumored to be)

Safety:
Josh Sandry
Evan Epperly
Gavin Crow
Michael McGinnis
Gavin Robertson (transfer)
Robby Hauck (transfer, needs to sit right?)

There's also Josh Deshner currently listed as "ATH" - not sure if the plan for him is safety or linebacker though.

Then we've got 3 incoming safeties this fall too, presumably all going to RS. Fouch, Koppang, and Pepe

Bobby is good friend with the DC at this Junior College. Jay, the DC will try and do what he can to get Bobby the best players he has. I have, kind of heard, Bobby is looking. OK I know, evidence or shutup. Jay has told me he has two pretty good corners, however, are they the right stuff? Bobby will know...

Thanks..... I am sure Bobby sees areas of immediate need beyond what he already addressed in signings. Hopefully he has some good prospects and was just not in a hurry. I really believe with about 4 more JC/drop-down that are immediately able to compete for some top spots this team will be better than a "rebuilding" team.

I mean not saying that we won’t get 4 transfers but that’s a lot easier said than done. It’s not a consistent thing to rely on transfers to contribute especially from JC, and getting a FBS drop down is even harder. So I agree but some people (not saying you) just think it’s a foregone conclusion we are bringing in all these summer transfers when I don’t think it’s a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
Ursus1 said:
reinell30 said:
BWahlberg said:
Just a guess there, or have some insight? I could see him looking for safety or corner help for sure.

While we'll see for sure next week the current roster is:

Corner:
Dareon Nash
Josh Egbo
Lewis Cowans
Curtis Holmes
Kobey Eaton (rumored to be)
Justin Calhoun (also rumored to be)

Safety:
Josh Sandry
Evan Epperly
Gavin Crow
Michael McGinnis
Gavin Robertson (transfer)
Robby Hauck (transfer, needs to sit right?)

There's also Josh Deshner currently listed as "ATH" - not sure if the plan for him is safety or linebacker though.

Then we've got 3 incoming safeties this fall too, presumably all going to RS. Fouch, Koppang, and Pepe

Bobby is good friend with the DC at this Junior College. Jay, the DC will try and do what he can to get Bobby the best players he has. I have, kind of heard, Bobby is looking. OK I know, evidence or shutup. Jay has told me he has two pretty good corners, however, are they the right stuff? Bobby will know...

Thanks..... I am sure Bobby sees areas of immediate need beyond what he already addressed in signings. Hopefully he has some good prospects and was just not in a hurry. I really believe with about 4 more JC/drop-down that are immediately able to compete for some top spots this team will be better than a "rebuilding" team.

I mean not saying that we won’t get 4 transfers but that’s a lot easier said than done. It’s not a consistent thing to rely on transfers to contribute especially from JC, and getting a FBS drop down is even harder. So I agree but some people (not saying you) just think it’s a foregone conclusion we are bringing in all these summer transfers when I don’t think it’s a reality.

I don't think reality either....just wishful thinking. Too many times heard the saving some scholarships for later not pan out. This was why I was disappointed in the number signed in Feb vs. How many scholarships were unfilled

But spring ball changes things at FBS schools. We see how things settle. We will get some, I’m confident

AZDoc said:
But spring ball changes things at FBS schools. We see how things settle. We will get some, I’m confident

I’ll agree that does change things and provides an opportunity but I just wouldn’t say confident or am I banking on it.

grizfan1984 said:
Calhoun, Eaton and Flowers are the only WRs on the roster I can see making the move. I've heard from a few sources Calhoun wants to play D and I've heard Eaton has already made the move. Flowers will likely stay at WR and should contribute right away. Also keep eye on Dawson McGlothlin to play CB he is a walk on from Sidney he should play this spring if he is still on the team.

Calhoun has the skill level to play CB in the FCS.

Good WR sure. But he'd get, what, a few catches a game? At CB he would be defending more passes and making more tackles than that. And he could take away a target on other plays. His importance to the team would rise, in my opinion. I would welcome the position change. Either way, O or D, I like him on the field.

dayday said:
BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:
Calhoun is the best receiver that we have. If we have to convert a WR....my vote would be for Curran.

We'll never agree on this, haha

Curran is a leader in the WR room and I think this will be his year to consistently put it together. He’s been great at times just struggled with a few catches at critical moments.

Not being negative, but this will be Curran's 5th year of post high school football, I sure would hope he will consistently put it together. Like you said, he has been great at times. :clap:

dayday said:
AZDoc said:

I’ll agree that does change things and provides an opportunity but I just wouldn’t say confident or am I banking on it.

Let me clarify...I'm not saying we will get 4 or 5 drop downs, just "some". If we got 4 transfers I'd be surprised. I'd guess maybe 2. Could pull a JMU, but will have to see

bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
grizfan1984 said:
Look for Malik Flowers to have a big spring too.

Great perception, grizfan1984.

I too am big on Flowers...

Pansy ;)

The prodigal farmer returns.

I’ve been intentionally laying low until the negative media attention about UM fan sites subsides. I’m currently posting from a bunker dug below my root cellar, wearing a paper bag over my head and not thinking about women at all.

Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Great perception, grizfan1984.

I too am big on Flowers...

Pansy ;)

I’ve been intentionally laying low until the negative media attention about UM fan sites subsides. I’m currently posting from a bunker dug below my root cellar, wearing a paper bag over my head and not thinking about women at all.

I, too, have been on the DL; spending quality time in the kitchen where I belong - making sandwiches - while simultaneously changing the lives of children in a daily basis.😇

It has become very necessary for me to be quite cautious lest I be pulled into any police investigation.

Thank you all for making this a safe place for me.

MsMaroon said:
Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:

I, too, have been on the DL; spending quality time in the kitchen where I belong - making sandwiches - while simultaneously changing the lives of children in a daily basis.😇

It has become very necessary for me to be quite cautious lest I be pulled into any police investigation.

We've had an AOD sighting! :shock:

NorthEndZoneDan said:
MsMaroon said:
Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:

We've had an AOD sighting! :shock:

Good to hear from you, MM! While driving, I thought I saw you walking with some friends on Front Street last week.

sxsw-handmaids-tale.jpg

Hard to tell, I now wear a welding helmet whenever I'm out in public to avoid being charged with lascivious leering at the opposite sex.

Keep up the good work! :thumb:

I thought I saw where Caleb Hill moved to tight end? Dalton Sneed and Gresch Jensen should battle for the starting spot and number two?? They should start from square one and let the best man win! There should be no guarantee's you start this year for Bobby's offense just because you started last year in Stitt's offense. They both bring strong suits that are different... Gresch is more familiar with the holdover players from Stitt's offense. Sneed is more familiar with Rosy and Bobby's offense Sneed played for both at UNLV in the past. I see a very healthy competition that will bring big dividends at the QB position. They are teammates and should support each other first and foremost! The team always comes first! The coaches will do whatever gives them the best chance to win on Sept. 1/2018 vs. NIU. I'm excited to see the two working together improving each others game and winning Griz football games, together... Come playoff time they will be each others biggest fan! That's just how it works.. Go Griz!

reinell30 said:
I think Bobby will bring in a transfer for CB? Probably from the Junior college in San Diego.
Which JC are you talking about? There are numerous JC programs in San Diego, I'm curious which one Bobby is tight with.

i_the_sky said:
I thought I saw where Caleb Hill moved to tight end? Dalton Sneed and Gresch Jensen should battle for the starting spot and number two?? They should start from square one and let the best man win! There should be no guarantee's you start this year for Bobby's offense just because you started last year in Stitt's offense. They both bring strong suits that are different... Gresch is more familiar with the holdover players from Stitt's offense. Sneed is more familiar with Rosy and Bobby's offense Sneed played for both at UNLV in the past. I see a very healthy competition that will bring big dividends at the QB position. They are teammates and should support each other first and foremost! The team always comes first! The coaches will do whatever gives them the best chance to win on Sept. 1/2018 vs. NIU. I'm excited to see the two working together improving each others game and winning Griz football games, together... Come playoff time they will be each others biggest fan! That's just how it works.. Go Griz!

To be accurate Sneed was recruited by Rosy and Bobby to UNLV but never played for them. Rosy and Bobby left after the 2014 season. Sneed was a Red Shirt during the 2015 season.

GoldStandardGriz said:
reinell30 said:
Which JC are you talking about? There are numerous JC programs in San Diego, I'm curious which one Bobby is tight with.

Something like Palmona is the name. It is a Cal poly affiliate.

Back