• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So, UM and MSU are both 2-1

while I think the griz are quite a bit better than the cats and would much rather have our OL situation vs their QB situation. the one thing that skews the numbers is TA has not really played the last 2 games. Put him in and that ups their productivity on offense...and defense if he plays and even if he doesn't he helps keep the Offense on the field. that said he may not really get back to his old self this year. And was said that freaking SDS team is a beast so that skews numbers.

SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
poorgriz said:
Based on the first three games, agree they are pretty even. Both have done some good things and had some BAD issues. My opinion though as of now is that MSU has a higher ceiling. We are getting some key players back healthy and cleaning up some mistakes, and possibly getting some clarity at QB and other key positions. um can't just manufacture a good O Line or secondary.

I would agree with you except for your last point. The Griz secondary will only get better, and they are not as bad as you may think.

UM's secondary is good, and has some depth.

UM is considerably better than the Cats at this point, in my view. The Cats have a limited ceiling due to the QB situation. UM's o-line will improve over the season. Calhoun will be working his way back. Veteran receivers aren't going to be fumbling many more balls this season, and certainly not 3 in a game. That in and of itself is a good lesson.

UM is considerably ahead of MSU in virtually every offensive and defensive category.

Scoring offense, 5th to 8th
Scoring defense, 3d to 9th
Total offense, 9th to 12th
Total D, 2d to 6th
Rushing offense, 11th to 7th
Rushing D, 1st to 8th
Pass O, 6th to 11th
Pass D, 9th to 6th (the difference is the 71 yard pass UM gave up to WI, otherwise UM would be ahead of Cats)
Pass efficiency, 10th to 11th
Pass efficiency D, 2d to 9th
KO returns, 1st to 3d
Punt returns, 6th to 2d 9 (I'd rather have JLM)
Interceptions, 3d to 9th
KO coverage, 3d to 11th
Sacks, 1st to 4th
Sacks against, UM has 5, Cats 2
First downs, 6th to 11th
Opponent first downs, 4th to 3d
3d down conversions, 8th to 12th
Opponent 3d down conversions, 6th to 1st

I seen zero evidence, based on stats, that the teams are about even. UM is way ahead based on stats.

Will be interesting to see these numbers when we are playing the same teams...I would agree that, at this time, griz are better than the Cats. Cats also played the #3 team in the country...so that didn't help (not saying it is a major factor, just that it didn't help)

Playing the #3 team in the country definitely didn't help the cat's stats. When looking at the games against a common opponent (one at home, one away), there are some similarities and some differences. The biggest difference to me is the scoring. Although the Griz scored a TD on special teams, they also gave up a TD on special teams. Strange game all around. In week one the cats relied on a kicker to provide 12 points. Both defenses allowed roughly the same amount of points. Who's better at this point? I don't know. Both teams are 2-1, and both teams have glaring weaknesses at this point, and both teams have reason to believe they will have a legit shot at the playoffs. Obviously a lot to be determined in the next two months.

Also, you keep saying the O Line will get better as the season goes on but where's the proof? Wasn't Saturday their worst performance yet?

poorgriz said:
Also, you keep saying the O Line will get better as the season goes on but where's the proof? Wasn't Saturday their worst performance yet?

I talk to Germer every week or two. Also, Hauck every week, but not always about o-line.

Also, I base my view of the Griz being better than the Cats now more on having watched the games, or parts of them--more than the stats. The stats show a significant disparity. I discount the stats to a considerable extent. UM isn't 3-0, but it should be. Just can't have a minus 4 on TO's.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

I talk to Germer every week or two. Also, Hauck every week, but not always about o-line.

Also, I base my view of the Griz being better than the Cats now more on having watched the games, or parts of them--more than the stats. The stats show a significant disparity. I discount the stats to a considerable extent. UM isn't 3-0, but it should be. Just can't have a minus 4 on TO's.

Cool. We'll see how things play out. I Talked with TG for awhile Saturday night after the game and he's liking where our defense is heading. We are finally getting some key players back on defense and I think our defense is going to be very tough to score on for the rest of our games. I think our D line is going to own the griz O line come November.

The cats defensive front against our offensive line is a very spooky look right now. If that game was played tomorrow, my money would be on "lil bro".

PlayerRep said:
AKGriz72 said:
PlayerRep said:
AKGriz72 said:
It not a matter of who is better at this point, but which team sucks the most / least!

Teams that can beat teams like UNI and WI, and are 2-1, don't suck. Learn something about the game before you post.

You are right, they just fail, like the Griz did today!
Fail to gain 1 yard in the red zone on multiple attempts.
Fail in punt coverage.
Fail in securing the football.
Fail at protecting the quarterback.
Fail at PAT attempts.
Fail at making decisive coaching decisions on the road with a young team.
Fail to protect a 10 point lead with a little over 5:00 left.

Yes, but that's the game of football. It happens all the time. It doesn't mean they suck. In fact, I don't think the Griz sucked today either.

THIS! the griz dominated all but 8 minutes of this game. we moved the ball. we ran. we passed. we created TOs. We tackled well. we came back down 14-0 after getting popped in the mouth. We let up a little with 7 minutes left and up by 10 and it cost us. YOUNG players made some mistakes. We let a return guy get the corner and we fumbled a first down catch. After that fumble it was over. You could see the team deflate and that was it. they will grow and they will learn. They were not a bad team yesterday...they were a good team that made some silly mistakes. This is still a top 25 football team. Also when I rewatched the game. The OL made some really good improvements week over week. We still missed plenty of blitzes and had missed assignments but overall we were getting push and directing the DL. We were getting to the second level at points. QB protection was good at times and terrible at others. These next 3 game are HUGE. we need these next 3. Cause we have 5 tough tough games to end the year. Do we rebound like BH teams used to and roll off a series of wins and prove we belong? or do we crumble like we have the last 5ish years. Difference is...we weren't out played yesterday, we were the better team and anyone watching the game can see that. We could vary well be 5-1 going into the final 5. needing to win just 2 or 3 of 5 to get into the playoffs. This team will develop...support them while they do so.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

Cool. We'll see how things play out. I Talked with TG for awhile Saturday night after the game and he's liking where our defense is heading. We are finally getting some key players back on defense and I think our defense is going to be very tough to score on for the rest of our games. I think our D line is going to own the griz O line come November.

:coffee:

poorgriz said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

My money is on the Griz against the Cats. I see improvement overall in the UM o-line, but having a new center lat weekend probably didn't help. Don't know, tho. Don't watch the o-line closely. I ask former players and coaches for their views.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

My money is on the Griz against the Cats. I see improvement overall in the UM o-line, but having a new center lat weekend probably didn't help. Don't know, tho. Don't watch the o-line closely. I ask former players and coaches for their views.

Holy shit PR, which is it? Do you actually watch the O line at all, which you must because you just said you see improvement? Or do you literally just ask a coach and when they tell you the O Line is improving every game you just believe them? You're a smart guy and I know for a fact you look at things an analyze better than that, i.e. don't just accept what somebody tells you as fact. That O line has not been improving game to game as you had hoped. From my chair I think the griz Oline looked like they played their best game in the opener against UNI.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
We’ve def beat better teams. And lost by 4 to the team the cats narrowly beat at home so I guess we’re better. But if our o line doesn’t drastically improve. We’re goingg to end up equal in my opinion

I think now everyone can settle down and realize it’s going to take Hauck a little time to turn this ship around. We were soooo far gone. And this team still is trying to kill the bad habits it picked up pre Hauck.

Fundamental football takes time to correct.

You have also lost to worse teams. Cats handled PS pretty easily on road and Griz lost to them at home. What better teams have you beaten?

poorgriz said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

I wouldn't worry about us. Cats will win the brawl, and make the playoffs, we won't. And then they'll probably get destroyed by 40 at SDSU or NDSU in the second round. And then we will relish in that loss while you get pissed and remind us that we couldn't even make it into the playoffs. You know, the same shit that happens every year, one way or another.

Silenoz said:
poorgriz said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I wouldn't worry about us. Cats will win the brawl, and make the playoffs, we won't. And then they'll probably get destroyed by 40 at SDSU or NDSU in the second round. And then we will relish in that loss while you get pissed and remind us that we couldn't even make it into the playoffs. You know, the same shit that happens every year, one way or another.
Clock work....

bigsky33 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
We’ve def beat better teams. And lost by 4 to the team the cats narrowly beat at home so I guess we’re better. But if our o line doesn’t drastically improve. We’re goingg to end up equal in my opinion

I think now everyone can settle down and realize it’s going to take Hauck a little time to turn this ship around. We were soooo far gone. And this team still is trying to kill the bad habits it picked up pre Hauck.

Fundamental football takes time to correct.

You have also lost to worse teams. Cats handled PS pretty easily on road and Griz lost to them at home. What better teams have you beaten?

Northern Iowa. Ranked no. 4 in the Sagarin now, I believe.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
poorgriz said:

Holy shit PR, which is it? Do you actually watch the O line at all, which you must because you just said you see improvement? Or do you literally just ask a coach and when they tell you the O Line is improving every game you just believe them? You're a smart guy and I know for a fact you look at things an analyze better than that, i.e. don't just accept what somebody tells you as fact. That O line has not been improving game to game as you had hoped. From my chair I think the griz Oline looked like they played their best game in the opener against UNI.

Again, on the o-line, I take what the UM coaches, including Germer, and former UM o-line players, tell me. They know much more about o-line play and the Griz o-line than I do. I am big on taking the advice of experts, and certainly people who know way more about the subject matter than I do.

Do you believe you have more knowledge of o-line play and UM o-line play this year than Germer and Hauck? If so, where did you get all that knowledge?

Back