• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Serious Question

I was born in Missoula and am a Griz fan to the core. I have family members who are Bobcat fans and I love them. My grandfather was inducted into the Bobcat basketball hall of fame so I am proud of my Montana roots and am proud of my grandfathers accomplishments. With that said there is only one time in my life that I rooted for the scats. I don't remember what year it was but I'm pretty sure we beat N. Iowa and had the scats beat whoever they were playing then they would have had to come back into Missoula and play us again after we had beat them already. That is the one and only time although I could see this scenario playing out again and rooting for them again.

With that said I would never wish harm to the young people who play sports there or attend their college. I wish them all the best except when they play anyone in sports... especially when they play us.

As a Montanan that is relocated I will cheer for ALL of the Montana teams.
It is really dificult to get respect at times.
Here in Nebraska some seem to think anything but Huskers is not worthy.

I loved pointing out a few years back when there were 3 playoff games on the same day -- Griz, Cats, and Carrol Saints all hosting as the Huskers just waited for whatever bowl game they were heading to.

So all that being said -- Up with Montana!

Go Griz :egriz:
Kick Ass Cats
MSU Billings Yellowjackets
Carroll (Montana) Saints
Great Falls Argos
Montana-Western Bulldogs
MSU-Northern Lights
Montana Tech Orediggers
Rocky Mountain Battlin'Bears

Truthfully -- no, I don't follow all of these -- but I'm not going to Hate on any of them!

I was at the Bobcat homecoming game a few years ago when they played Portland St. The homecoming parade contained not 1, not 2, but 3 floats that contained a Griz reference. One where they were dragging a Grizzly doll behind a float, one where it was hanging from a gallows next to a Viking doll and one that had a Bobcat choking a Viking which had a grizzly bear in a noose. During the game their fans started chanting "Eat Sh!t Grizzlies, Go Cats Go" (playing Portland St. remember). I was downtown after the game and ran into a former Bobcat player who is an insurance agent there now. I was making fun of the Cats because of all the stuff I just mentioned and he argued with me. He told me "you don't understand the level of hatred we have for the Griz!" I told him it made fans look stupid

putter said:
I was at the Bobcat homecoming game a few years ago when they played Portland St. The homecoming parade contained not 1, not 2, but 3 floats that contained a Griz reference. One where they were dragging a Grizzly doll behind a float, one where it was hanging from a gallows next to a Viking doll and one that had a Bobcat choking a Viking which had a grizzly bear in a noose. During the game their fans started chanting "Eat Sh!t Grizzlies, Go Cats Go" (playing Portland St. remember). I was downtown after the game and ran into a former Bobcat player who is an insurance agent there now. I was making fun of the Cats because of all the stuff I just mentioned and he argued with me. He told me "you don't understand the level of hatred we have for the Griz!" I told him it made fans look stupid

Having seen this behavior from both sides fascinates me because for the most part the crap I got wearing my Cat clothing came from people who never attended a class in either school. When a kid is a student it doesn't bother me but a supposed adult acting like they somehow will be better off in life because of the on-field performance of 17 to 21 year-old-student athletes makes me question their sanity.

Maybe the state needs to fund a nice stadium in Butte so the games can be played there again? Refurbish some of those beautiful buildings sitting vacant and turn it into a tourist trap--at least for the third weekend in November every year.

putter said:

I have been to a ton of Cat-Griz games in Bozeman, starting all the way back in 1993. I've never head a bad experience in Bobcat Stadium, or at the tailgates. Not one.

Having said that, I agree Putter, I've ALWAYS thought the Griz stuff when they're playing other teams was extremely weird. The guy that burns the teddy bear for every home game and the chant when they're not paying the Griz, I just will never get it. I ran into an Eastern Washington couple hiking in Yellowstone this past summer. We hiked together for a few miles. Talked football the whole way, and they actually brought that up. They were in Bozeman the last time EWU played there and saw the guy burning the teddy bear at the tailgate thing. They thought that was the strangest thing they'd ever seen at a college football game.

George Ferguson said:
putter said:

I have been to a ton of Cat-Griz games in Bozeman, starting all the way back in 1993. I've never head a bad experience in Bobcat Stadium, or at the tailgates. Not one.

Having said that, I agree Putter, I've ALWAYS thought the Griz stuff when they're playing other teams was extremely weird. The guy that burns the teddy bear for every home game and the chant when they're not paying the Griz, I just will never get it. I ran into an Eastern Washington couple hiking in Yellowstone this past summer. We hiked together for a few miles. Talked football the whole way, and they actually brought that up. They were in Bozeman the last time EWU played there and saw the guy burning the teddy bear at the tailgate thing. They thought that was the strangest thing they'd ever seen at a college football game.

Back when I used to go to the games in Bozeman, over a decade ago, I found that there were more issues downtown in the bars, including things that affected me. While I wouldn't be wearing Griz gear, I was often with Griz friends who were. Having graduated from Bozeman high and having considerable family still in Bozeman, whom I was often with, I really didn't appreciate the comments, insults and beer thrown my way. Mostly from college age kids. So, for this reason and the often cold weather at the games at that time of the year, I stopped going. Can watch from home, do what I want, yell at the tv screen, or do whatever, and no one bothers me.

PlayerRep said:
Can watch from home, do what I want, yell at the tv screen, or do whatever, and no one bothers me.

6jpxj4.gif

I used to watch the cat games and pull for the cats when not playing the griz. My thought was in an ideal world cat/griz would always be for the big sky and they would meet again in the playoffs. But I have gotten so tired of the cats hating on the griz (really? yelling "ESG,GCG!" at every game? seems very dumb) that now I actively cheer against them. I'll probably be in Greeley tomorrow, wearing something UM related and cheering for UNC. I can really get behind their "U! N! C! beeeeaaaarrrrsss!! *tiny growl*" cracks me up every time..... A few years ago I was there doing the same thing and some UNC fan asked me what the hell I was doing? "Supporting the tiny bears!" he bought me a beer. Meanwhile cat fans act pissed that I'm there.

In truth I don't hate the cats, but their fans are annoying.

I hate Cat fans! I never want to see a Cat player injured! I’d like to see Cat coaches injured! Nothing worse than an inebriated Cat fan! That makes them stupid and drunk, and ugly!

HookedonGriz said:
I used to root for the Cats when not playing Griz. Then I moved to Bozeman and met a bunch of their whiny bitch fan base, and now I can't stand anything related to the Cats. I hope they lose at everything.
Post of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lot of friends that are MSU grads and cat fans, so I have a pretty good understanding of the hatred they have for Griz football. It's all about the 16 game streak; it left an enormous chip on the shoulder for almost all cat fans. Still. Frustration that there is no way they will ever get even. I notice nothing similar when attending a Griz/cat BBall game in Bozeman. I go to the Cat Booster room for beers at halftime in my Griz gear and am treated just like anyone else.

I bring my closest buddy to Missoula in his cat gear for the game every two years and folks buy him drinks at the Mo Club. Wear your Griz gear to a game in Bozeman and like many have said, you won't want to come again. I also refuse to go to the games there.

Back