• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Seattle Mariners

Have to wait and see on Beltre. It seems like a good move, but in the past Seattle is where free agents go to die.

I like the Beltre signing. He's quite young and even if he reverts to his historical average, he'll still be the best third baseman that the M's have had since Edgar played 3B abaout 1,000 years ago. It sounds like he's already taking a leadership position with the team which is something they've needed for quite a while. His defense is under-rated.

The signing that concerns me is Sexson. I hope he can stay healthy and productive for the length of his contract but fear for the worst. I can live with a .250 hitter if he jacks 40 HR's a year and plays good D at 1B.

Interesting and amusing article on the M's 2005 season.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/five-questions-seattle-mariners/

Biz and Re what the frick is going on with our Mariners? Eddie every day? Maybe every someday :roll: Cripes. Now we have to listen to Tex after taken 2 of 3.

I'm resigned to another sub-.500 season. Here's my $.02:

Bobby M tore a tendon in his shoulder and will be in a sling for at least 3 weeks. Given the track record of the M's crack medical staff, I'm betting he's done for the year.

Joel P had a great outing in Tacoma but I'll believe he's healthy when he strings five or six good starts together in the bigs.

Gil Meche is destined for the bull pen.

Eddie's velocity on his fastball was never all that great but he can't close many games throwing like Moyer.

Boone looks old.

Why is Spezio wasting a bench spot? The M's should bite the bullet and cut him loose.

When you sign a guy off the waiver wire two days before the start of the season and he turns out to be your opening day starting shortstop, you are in deep, deep trouble.

The defense was supposed to be a strength of this team, yet they've got five errors in six games. Gag. The pitching isn't good enough to overcome extra outs.

"King" Felix Hernandez will probably be called up after the All Star break and will see game action shortly after his 20th birthday. I hope to god they don't mess this kid up - 95-98 mph fastball with an A+ curve ball and a slider so nasty that they won't even let him throw it in a game for fear that it will damage his young arm. He's messing with a changeup now, too. Kinda makes me wish I still lived in the Puget Sound area so I could get down to Tacoma and see him pitch there.

The M's have the third pick in the draft and I hope that they don't go after another high school pitcher. A college pitcher or power hitting position player would be best, preferably someone that could hit the bigs in the next year or so.

My best case scenerio is for the veterans that are in the last year of their contract to show enough to be dealt for some young talent after the All Star Break. Nelson, Sele, Boone, Moyer and Eddie have no real future with this team. Maybe a couple of them will do well enough that we can package them together and trade them to a contender. The M's minor league system could use an infusion of talent. There are some gems but the depth is something to be concerned with.

I think this year is the first step in rebuilding the M's have some good things going for them.

1. Sexson's power hitting (pray that he stays healthy)
2. Beltre's not flexing the power shots yet, but he's batting in a lot of guys.
3. Ibanez looks better this year, could be a good DH, if that's what he wants.

I think they'll be sub .500 this year but will be able to bring up some or sign some good starters & relievers to take the next step in '06.

The biggest mistake the M's did was after they won 95 games in 03 and didn't make the playoffs, they kept the same team, and just slid further downhill.

What I'm wondering is where is Soriano? Did that oblique tear last year punch his ticket? That guy was money!

Everyday Eddie sucks, it's that simple. It's like back when Jose Mesa played for the M's same BS. And the middle relief is questionable, at best.

The M's need to get two more legit starters, and a closer this year or next to get back on top of the AL west

ReMax - Soriano had Tommy John surgery late last year.

He's at the training complex in Peoria rehabbing now. They aren't going to let him throw off a mound for another six weeks or so. They are hoping to have him game ready sometime after the all star break but he won't be at full strength until next year minimum.

I really like JJ Putz. I think that he can close now but if Soriano can get back to full strength, those two guys will make for a nasty 1-2 punch at the end of games. Add a reliable power lefty to the mix and we've got our bull pen back to the way we like it.

I agree that the future could be bright but I am always very nervous about the M's front office folks. My worst-case scenerio is that the M's somehow stay in contention by playing around .500 while the rest of the division beats on each other. I fear that in that case, the M's brass would be tempted to trade away the young talent like Putz, Baek and Soo-Choo for rent-A-players. I hate the idea of mortgaging the future for a shot now.

The young talent that could hit this team in the next two years is encouraging.

Great start by Franklin last night. Something like 80 pitches in 8 2/3 innings.

One person everyone has been talking about, but I dont see why is Matt Thorton. The writers for the Mariners say he has great power and control. So far this season, he is 0-2 with probably a double digit ERA. Hopefully he can turn it around, because the M's could use another lefty down in the bullpen besides Villone and Eddie.

I agree with you on Thornton, GrizFan20. The words "Thornton" and "control" should rarely be used in the same sentence. He had a pretty good outing after Meche's last meltdown but he's out of options and on shaky ground. He's a lefty with a 95+ mph fastball but just can't seem to locate it when the pressure is on. Here is his line thus far this season:

3.2 innings pitched; 7 hits; 5 runs (all earned); 2HR; 2 K's; 12.27 ERA

The sample size is pretty small but he doesn't have much wiggle room. Once the starters are settled and stretched out, Hargrove is going to dump one of the relievers and add a bench player. Evidently, the other reliever on the bubble is Mateo. Here is his line:

3.0 innings pitched; 1 hit; 0 runs; 1 K; 0 ERA

Who would you dump?

Maybe Eddie will go on the DL sooner rather than later and they can keep Thornton around for a while.

A solid closer could really help anchor the Ms right now, you look at Oakland, Anaheim and Texas all have so far had some shaky outings from their closers.

Right now I still don't like Putz, he blew too many games last year, but Eddie's just as bad right now. Another guy I was wondering about was Clint Nageotte. Is he still around? I remember he had a few good starts, but would sweat off 3 pounds in 1 game, and then he'd get all cramped up.

GREAT showing from Ryan the other night, if Franklin can finally get some run support, and Moyer and Pinero get back on track I'll feel a little more comfortable with the starting rotation, 3 out 5 would usually keep the opponents score down. Meche needs to get his head in the game, I wonder about if he's really prepared to put a full season together.

Well, Eddie got the save today but just about gave me a heart attack by going 2-0 on three consecutive batters. No errors, although Boone should have been able to turn the double play in the 9th to end it.

Putz was pretty bad until the end of last year. He converted his last nine save opportunities in '04 and has pitched well this year. I like him as a right handed set up guy.

Nageott was sent down to Tacoma early this spring and is now out for 4-6 weeks due to a "strained forearm". I don't think that he has enough of a pitching arsenal to start in the bigs but think that he could be a nasty bull pen guy. His slider is pure filth.

Campillo threw a nice one in AAA on Tuesday -

6.0 IP; 4 H; 4 R; 1 BB; 10 K's.

With King Felix, Campillo and Baek, Tacoma has a nice top three. It's too bad Blackley and Nageott are out.

Should call Eddie, "Heart attack Eddie"

2 to 1, low scoring game, but I'll take it! I see Ichiro's hitting "streak" is over, going 0 for 4. Also looks like Ichiro got an outfield assist double play.

It would be nice to see the Ms sweep in this series, then off to Chicago.

GrizBiz said:
Nageott was sent down to Tacoma early this spring and is now out for 4-6 weeks due to a "strained forearm".
Sounds like he needs to work on his "control". You would think being that close to the majors he could find a lady friend to polish his helmet for him to save his arm for game days. :lol:

2 game winning streak, let's hope for the sweep.

I saw this breakdown of Frinklins gem and thought that y'all migh appreciate it. It's Maddox-esque:

By inning, here's what happened while Franklin was pitching:

Ground out, fly out, double, fly out.
Ground out, ground out, single, strike out.
Ground out, fly out, single, pick off.
Fly out, walk, fly out, fly out.
Fly out, fly out, ground out.
Fly out, ground out, fly out.
Ground out, ground out, ground out.
Fly out, ground out, fly out.
Ground out, walk, single, fly out, single.

I wonder whats going to happen when Madritsh comes back. If Franklin is pitching well, i could seriously see either Meche or Madritsh going to the bullpen. Pinerio is coming back this weekend, so that leaves the M's with 6 starters and only 5 spots. If Franklin doesnt pitch well in his next couple starts, he will probably go back to the bullpen.

Sweeeeeeep!!!!!

Ok, so it was only the Royals but it still feels good to have a team that can score some runs. The pitching has been remarkably decent so far. I am almost optomistic. Sexon's power is a good, good thing.

What are they going to do with Valdez once Pokey Reece is healthy?

Regarding Bobby M - I don't trust the M's doctors. I have braced myself for the possibility that he will be out for the year. I hope not, 'cause he's one of my favorites, but I am braced nonetheless. I think that Hargrove was quoted in one of the Seattle papers as saying that Franky would have a couple more starts to make his point about belonging in the rotation.

Here is a list that someone with more time on their hands than I posted on SportSpot. The pitcher's name is followed by the original diagnosis, which is followed by what was really wrong. Scary stuff.

Rafael Soriano : "sprained elbow." Would require T-J surgery.

Gil Meche : "strained shoulder." Would require labrum and rotator cuff surgery.

Scott Atchison : "strained elbow." Moved to the 60-day DL.

Joel Pineiro : "strained flexor bundle." Has yet to start a game since. Developed a "strained shoulder" during the spring.

Travis Blackley : "shoulder tendinitis." Would require labrum surgery.

Ryan Anderson : "strained shoulder." Would require every surgical procedure known to man.

Jeff Heaverlo : "strained shoulder." Would require labrum surgery.

Eddie Guardado : "shoulder fatigue." Has a partially-torn rotator cuff.

I guess we could add:

Bobby M : "Strained Muscle"; now diagnosed as a partially torn flexor bundle

Hmm,

Looking at the box score, Beltre had to leave the game with tightness in his back, I hope he's alright.

Sexson had another blast, and a double, 3 RBI's today, also Reed had 3 RBI's on a double as well.

Pinero starts tomorrow, if he can play well and Jamie keeps it up I'll be feeling a lot better about the starting rotation.

Go M's!

Ever since the Mariners played Texas, i knew this team had power. Even though they lost 2-3 to the Rangers, they proved they can come back at anytime during a game. Sexson looks like he's back for a 40 HR year, and hopefully Beltre isnt out long, because he's been swinging the bat well too. Now if the pitching is decient this year, this team should go far.

Life in the AL WEST IS not easy not like those Damn Houston Astros and the NL Central.

Even though SHSU is near Houston. I hate the Astros.

Back