• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrimmage Stats - improvements being made

BWahlberg

DONOR
Look at some of the key stats and areas of improvements that have happened from the spring game to this first fall scrimmage:

Passing Stats [/u]

Spring game: 38-68 (56%) / 3 TDs / 5 INTs / 6.4 yards per pass / 11.5 yards per completion
1st fall scrum: 33-53 (62%) / 3 TDs / 1 INT / 8.1 yards per pass / 13 yards per completion

Phillips spring: 15-27 (56%) / 0 TDs / 4 INTs
Phillips fall: 17-25 (68%) / 2 TDs / 1 INT

Rushing Stats

Spring Game 1.57 yards per rush (ouch)
1st fall scrum 2.6 yards per rush (still not good)

Rushing stats for just the running backs (removing QB yards)

Spring game 1.82 yards per rush
1st fall scrum 3.79 yards per rush

Kicking

Spring Game: 0-2 field goals / 5-6 PATs
1st fall scrum: 2-3 field goals / 3-4 PATs (I'm counting the two they did early)

Spring game punting average: 41.5 yards per punt
1st fall scrum: didn't record it, Williams was in the 45-50 yard average I'd venture

Sacks allowed by the O-line

Spring Game 12 / average 1 sack per 10 plays
1st fall scrum 4 / average 1 sack per 24 plays

-------------

Lots of good stuff happening here, they're smaller increments in some cases but I like the trend here.

billgrizfan said:
Looks a little better but the play selection and secondary breakdowns are still a problem. A big problem.

On play selection, first scrimmage, 2nd day in full pads, they're going through the progressions of install and getting guys on the same page. Additionally they're not going to show off new sets in an open scrimmage. Offense was mostly running out of the base format it seemed. Working on the basics so those are ingrained in each player.

Secondary breakdowns, a few with the safeties or whoever was supposed to cover Simis on his TD and Bingham on his near-TD. Otherwise... it didn't seem too bad overall. Some bigger pass plays, yes, but I didn't come away from that scrimmage thinking the secondary had a ton of pass coverage breakdowns.

I want/need to see the Stitt offense destroy a top rated team before I am fully sold on success!

giphy.gif

BW,

Could you tell if the defense was running any zone packages in the scrimmage? In my mind that was the biggest improvement that needed to be made over last year. Thinking that we were going to be able to run man to man defense all last year was just stupid from a coaching standpoint. By the time Semore figured out that was not going to work we were pretty much past the point of no return.

84GRIZ said:
BW,

Could you tell if the defense was running any zone packages in the scrimmage? In my mind that was the biggest improvement that needed to be made over last year. Thinking that we were going to be able to run man to man defense all last year was just stupid from a coaching standpoint. By the time Semore figured out that was not going to work we were pretty much past the point of no return.

They certainly were, I can't tell you by any rate the ratio, but there was noticeably more zone. Saw that in the three spring scrimmages too.

billgrizfan said:
Looks a little better but the play selection and secondary breakdowns are still a problem. A big problem.

Re play selection. I have a funny feeling you're not seeing (in scrimmage) everything they have been working on....just a hunch.

BWahlberg said:
Look at some of the key stats and areas of improvements that have happened from the spring game to this first fall scrimmage:

Passing Stats [/u]

Spring game: 38-68 (56%) / 3 TDs / 5 INTs / 6.4 yards per pass / 11.5 yards per completion
1st fall scrum: 33-53 (62%) / 3 TDs / 1 INT / 8.1 yards per pass / 13 yards per completion

Phillips spring: 15-27 (56%) / 0 TDs / 4 INTs
Phillips fall: 17-25 (68%) / 2 TDs / 1 INT

Rushing Stats

Spring Game 1.57 yards per rush (ouch)
1st fall scrum 2.6 yards per rush (still not good)

Rushing stats for just the running backs (removing QB yards)

Spring game 1.82 yards per rush
1st fall scrum 3.79 yards per rush

Kicking

Spring Game: 0-2 field goals / 5-6 PATs
1st fall scrum: 2-3 field goals / 3-4 PATs (I'm counting the two they did early)

Spring game punting average: 41.5 yards per punt
1st fall scrum: didn't record it, Williams was in the 45-50 yard average I'd venture

Sacks allowed by the O-line

Spring Game 12 / average 1 sack per 10 plays
1st fall scrum 4 / average 1 sack per 24 plays

-------------

Lots of good stuff happening here, they're smaller increments in some cases but I like the trend here.

Side by side that is actually quite an improvement in some areas.
Maybe as the season gets going they could be like some of those great Griz teams we remember. I remember a few years where they started rough lot's of white knuckles then seemed to finally hit form just a the end of the season.
Rushing yardage. That is still a hard number. Yikes! On the flip side, I feel that the D line is still this teams strongest unit so...

I hope t ey do not get banged up too bad against UW.

signedbewildered said:
billgrizfan said:

Re play selection. I have a funny feeling you're not seeing (in scrimmage) everything they have been working on....just a hunch.

I hope so because what was on display certainly didn't inspire fear in the D. Same thing different year.

fanofzoo said:
signedbewildered said:
billgrizfan said:

I hope so because what was on display certainly didn't inspire fear in the D. Same thing different year.
I hope nothing inspires fear in our defense.

And I don't think anything will. This years defense has the attitude that has been missing for a while. Could be a special year for that group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizcountry420 said:
Come on, this team has 6-5 written all over it..
The only thing that screams 6-5 is maybe QB. The schedule, defense, and OL all look like UPGRADES.

brewskis said:
grizcountry420 said:
Come on, this team has 6-5 written all over it..
The only thing that screams 6-5 is maybe QB. The schedule, defense, and OL all look like UPGRADES.

Im not sold on the OL. If our OL was above average I could see us at 8-3 but im not seeing that this year..

3rd and short they once ran screen that got blown up.....3rd and long ran a delay that was snuffed. Let's hope they develop a power game and can trust their passing game for down and distance situations . Not going to fool BSC teams.....

Ursus1 said:
3rd and short they once ran screen that got blown up.....3rd and long ran a delay that was snuffed. Let's hope they develop a power game and can trust their passing game for down and distance situations . Not going to fool BSC teams.....

Sounds like a typical call Stitt would make in those situations, so predictable..

BWahlberg said:
billgrizfan said:

On play selection, first scrimmage, 2nd day in full pads, they're going through the progressions of install and getting guys on the same page. Additionally they're not going to show off new sets in an open scrimmage. Offense was mostly running out of the base format it seemed. Working on the basics so those are ingrained in each player.

Secondary breakdowns, a few with the safeties or whoever was supposed to cover Simis on his TD and Bingham on his near-TD. Otherwise... it didn't seem too bad overall. Some bigger pass plays, yes, but I didn't come away from that scrimmage thinking the secondary had a ton of pass coverage breakdowns.

Good, it was hard to tell about the breakdowns from tweets. Maybe they didn't have the right personnel in the game when the run was called for. I know they didn't want to get guys hurt this early. We will see, maybe these problems will be solved.

grizcountry420 said:
Ursus1 said:

Sounds like a typical call Stitt would make in those situations, so predictable..

That's what scares me - new year, same stuff. I pray that is not the case and like the players themselves, the coaching has improved.

GO GRIZ!!

Back