• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rorie and Oguine: Best Griz Guard Tandem Ever?

Good post, Native. I don't know about the "Steve DeMers/Michael Ray Richardson" connection, but, while DeMers was a very good high school player, he was just too small to be an effective post player or power forward in college.

(Also, you might want to correct/update your "national debt" numbers.)

"Micheal" Ray is the name. His parents spelled it that way.

Watching last night trying to get a take on this actual subject. Rorie shot well, Oguine kind of quiet and had couple attempts at big dunks rejected. Weirdest take for me was TO's by all Griz guards last night. "The best tandem ever" not immune and some pretty bad ones at that. For two guys both under 6'2" seems like too many. Also think limited height is a negative in calling them best ever.

Earlier poster says take MR and Demers vs. these two. MR would be unstoppable based on size alone. Cherry and Jamar (if a guard) would pose the same size issues. Delvon or Fasting at guard a tough cover for these two.

AllWeatherFan said:
Good post, Native. I don't know about the "Steve DeMers/Michael Ray Richardson" connection, but, while DeMers was a very good high school player, he was just too small to be an effective post player or power forward in college.

(Also, you might want to correct/update your "national debt" numbers.)
Thanks for heads up on my signature line, the numbers have changed. And you are right, Steve was too small for college for the position he played in HS. I don't want to come across as gossiping, so I am not going to add anything else to my other comments.

NativeGriz said:
citay said:
Gotta remember, we're talking tandem here.

Micheal Ray was absolutely the best player ever at Montana, but his senior year he was pretty much a one-man show. If he'd had this year's team or last year's team around him, there's no telling how far we might have gone.

I like the Cherry-Jamar tandem too, but I don't think of Jamar as a guard, more a point forward.
I agree MR was a 1 man show his Sr year and that seems crazy that they werent able to recruit better around him. They did bring in Lee Johnson but I think he had grade problems. As for Demers, not a superstar but excellent support player which also reminds me of his Sentinel HS Sr year with him, Kirk Rocheleau, Brian Flaig, Mitchell and Steve Demers. All good athletes making up an incredible HS team. Kirk was a fabulous ball handler; if I recall correctly Kirk set the then freshman single game scoring record at MSU before joining the Griz. Brian was a standout receiver for the Cats. Steve washed out early with Griz because IMO, was hanging out too much with MR.

Steve Demers never recovered from his torn ACL. Remember in his day, ACL surgery was very invasive, before the micro surgeries of today.

UMFan12 said:
Pretty sure that loss proves they definitely aren’t the best tandem the Griz have had.

That is one damn game. The only thing the PSU game proved regarding our guards, Woods from PSU was the best guard and player on the court in that game. He smoked everyone. Hopefully that loss serves as motivation for all the players.

mtgrizrule said:
UMFan12 said:
Pretty sure that loss proves they definitely aren’t the best tandem the Griz have had.

That is one damn game. The only thing the PSU game proved regarding our guards, Woods from PSU was the best guard and player on the court in that game. He smoked everyone. Hopefully that loss serves as motivation for all the players.
This :!:

I was glad to see Akoh back and Falls playing and I was impressed with this year's team and close to posting about "predict the BSC record for the 2019 Griz" and then they lose a home game. :shock:

Back