• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ROOT Sports Pursuing Streaming Options

Root is literally the -only- reason I still have Dish, and cable in the past. If there was a streaming option, or if Wyoming and Montana games didn't appear on there, I'd have cut cable a long time ago and gone to streaming.

zootownrox said:
EverettGriz said:
For Root, it's never been about getting a few dollars here and there from streamed content. It's ALWAYS been about ensuring that small cable companies in Idaho, MT and AK carry their station. That way they can sell far more "eyes" to advertisers on Mariner and Sounder games. I just can't see them offering a streaming package for people without a cable subscription. It defeats the entire purpose of broadcasting bsc football.

I get that that is the thinking - but do they not know that you can sell advertisements on streaming? Do they think people who stream don't have eyes?

Of course. But the revenue difference to Root between those two options is on the scale of Montana's football revenue to UNC's football revenue. And it's not a situation where they can get both sources of revenue. If Root can be streamed without a cable subscription, there's no incentive for the smaller cable companies in Root's footprint to carry the channel. That's ALL Root cares about, and it's the only reason they broadcast bsc football.

MrTitleist said:
Root is literally the -only- reason I still have Dish, and cable in the past. If there was a streaming option, or if Wyoming and Montana games didn't appear on there, I'd have cut cable a long time ago and gone to streaming.
+1

zootownrox said:
EverettGriz said:
For Root, it's never been about getting a few dollars here and there from streamed content. It's ALWAYS been about ensuring that small cable companies in Idaho, MT and AK carry their station. That way they can sell far more "eyes" to advertisers on Mariner and Sounder games. I just can't see them offering a streaming package for people without a cable subscription. It defeats the entire purpose of broadcasting bsc football.

I get that that is the thinking - but do they not know that you can sell advertisements on streaming? Do they think people who stream don't have eyes?

Or ears? The ads are always 25 decibels louder than the game.

MrTitleist said:

Yep. I said the same thing in another thread. Sometimes a week or two will go by and I will realize that we never even turned on the DVR. The only good thing about satellite is the DVR and being able to record things to watch later. But with good streaming services like ESPN+ the content is archived so you can go back and watch it on demand so it's basically the same thing. Eventually everything is going to be streamed and regular TV is going to be a thing of the past.

All,
So I had been subscribed to ESPN +. Our tv provider Dish Network. I thought hey I have ESPN + so why not save a few bucks and reduce my dish package. Well what I found was as my tv package did not have ESPN I could then no longer view ESPN +. I contacted ESPN to see what the deal was and was informed I had to have a tv provider or could sign up for Hulu’s expanded package to have ESPN +.
Seems like BS to me. Has anyone else found the same? I guess hold of cutting the cable before you know!
If I have to I can sign up for Dish sport package for like $13 month then I guess have E+ again.
OR does anyone have alternate option to have E+ without cable or sat?

OrgonGriz said:
All,
So I had been subscribed to ESPN +. Our tv provider Dish Network. I thought hey I have ESPN + so why not save a few bucks and reduce my dish package. Well what I found was as my tv package did not have ESPN I could then no longer view ESPN +. I contacted ESPN to see what the deal was and was informed I had to have a tv provider or could sign up for Hulu’s expanded package to have ESPN +.
Seems like BS to me. Has anyone else found the same? I guess hold of cutting the cable before you know!
If I have to I can sign up for Dish sport package for like $13 month then I guess have E+ again.
OR does anyone have alternate option to have E+ without cable or sat?

I access E+ through our Disney + package. In addition to Disney and E+, you get Hulu (not premium version) for around $14 per month.

You can sign up directly for E+ for around $6 per month.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-is-espn-plus?op=1

dayday said:
Yukon said:
Hmmmm... encouraging.

I hope Root just agrees it can be aired through the league on espn + but that might be a pipe dream.

Agreed, anything at this point would be helpful. I am out of market so there is no option for me even if I got the AT&T TV thing. I was kind of panicky looking at maybe doing the VPN route and spoofing my location just to be able to pay for a $85 a month streaming package. Hopefully they can work something out, even having the option to buy the game stream on gogriz.com would be awesome.

zootownrox said:
dayday said:
I hope Root just agrees it can be aired through the league on espn + but that might be a pipe dream.

Agreed, anything at this point would be helpful. I am out of market so there is no option for me even if I got the AT&T TV thing. I was kind of panicky looking at maybe doing the VPN route and spoofing my location just to be able to pay for a $85 a month streaming package. Hopefully they can work something out, even having the option to buy the game stream on gogriz.com would be awesome.
If they can't agree to GoGriz or ESPN+, I have a backup plan. Only going to mention this as it might help others.

When the first ROOT game is on (I bet EWU game), I will pause YouTube TV and pick up ATT TV for 2 months and then after the Cat/Griz game cancel ATT TV and resume YouTube TV. only adds about $40 to the season. I live in Colorado, so it would be on ATT SportsNet and most likely a delay, but still get it. Brawl will be on time.

Life (and getting every minute of an obscure FCS college team's games on either TV or streaming) is just so difficult!

"I'll drive from Timbuktu, rent a room for two nights, spend another $200 on food and beverage to make almost every home game.... but dammit I can't believe ESPN+ plans to charge me $6 a month for 3 or 4 months so I can watch the one home game I miss and the other 5 road games. And they expect me to have a computer and know where the power switch is!"

Back