• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rollie Worster Decommitted

DPGriz said:
Local recruiting is very important, that's why Gonzaga always sells out. Oh wait...

:clap: :clap: :clap:
So perfect, thank you. I will take SoCal kids and Big Sky titles any day over a good Montana "aa" player that happens to be from MSO. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Rollie...

Was told tonight by someone I trust in the Montana BB community that Worster decomitted because he intends to head to prep school in order to try and garner interest in a P5 program. Time will tell.

DPGriz said:
Local recruiting is very important, that's why Gonzaga always sells out. Oh wait...

Gonzaga has a great program, but it's gym seats only 6,000, the Zags attendance isn't up high in ncaa hoops, and Spokane has a metro area of about 600,000. The 30th ranked D-I team averages almost 12,000 per game.

In 2018, Gonzaga averaged just less than 2,000 more in attendance per game, than UM.

Missoula has a metro area of about 120,000.

Not an apples to apples comparison.

UM's hoops attendance a much higher compared to metro area size. Another meaningless stat.

Oh, and one of Gonzaga's starters last year was from Washington. And he has 2 more years.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2019/Attendance.pdf

I have never seen Rollie play in person, just highlights on the local news and have no opinion on his real value, BUT this is why it is stupid to sign guys early. I remember when Brock Osweiler signed with Gonzaga as a sophomore in high school for b-ball. As we all know, that never happened either. I don't know why anyone would sign early or why the NCAA allows it.

and B) Rollie Worster would not help the Griz attendance one iota. He might have a small contigent of friends that would never attend a Griz game otherwise just like every Griz player can same the same thing.

Zirg said:
I have never seen Rollie play in person, just highlights on the local news and have no opinion on his real value, BUT this is why it is stupid to sign guys early. I remember when Brock Osweiler signed with Gonzaga as a sophomore in high school for b-ball. As we all know, that never happened either. I don't know why anyone would sign early or why the NCAA allows it.

and B) Rollie Worster would not help the Griz attendance one iota. He might have a small contigent of friends that would never attend a Griz game otherwise just like every Griz player can same the same thing.
Uhhh Zirg, a verbal commitment is non-binding (both for the school and the athlete). Nobody signs anything until the letter of intent, which doesn't happen until the athlete is a senior in high school.

Zirg said:

Neither Osweiler or Worster signed anything early. It's not allowed by the NCAA. They gavce a verbal as Mariner said. No one signs anything early. So it is the right of the athlete to change their minds at any time they want too. Every Griz verbal for the 2020 class could do the same if they want.

PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:

Gonzaga has a great program, but it's gym seats only 6,000, the Zags attendance isn't up high in ncaa hoops, and Spokane has a metro area of about 600,000. The 30th ranked D-I team averages almost 12,000 per game.

In 2018, Gonzaga averaged just less than 2,000 more in attendance per game, than UM.

Missoula has a metro area of about 120,000.

Not an apples to apples comparison.

UM's hoops attendance a much higher compared to metro area size. Another meaningless stat.

Oh, and one of Gonzaga's starters last year was from Washington. And he has 2 more years.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2019/Attendance.pdf

Yeah, I'm sure everyone in Spokane, and watching TV, is looking to see the great Corey Krispert and not the multiple high NBA picks. Personally, I enjoy watching good basketball players play good basketball and anything about a player's hometown or background falls in the "fun fact" category.

Remind me where Zion and RJ Barret are from, or Kyle Guy and Deandre Hunter are from if you want to know more about how a program should try and build their roster.

Zirg said:

Think Osweiller was offered and verbaled when he was a frosh, not soph.

If Worster was a big contributor for Griz, think he'd be a big draw. Not "one iota", oh please, don't say stupid stuff.

I'm happy he appears to be following his dream, wherever it may lead.

George Ferguson said:
Zirg said:

Neither Osweiler or Worster signed anything early. It's not allowed by the NCAA. They gavce a verbal as Mariner said. No one signs anything early. So it is the right of the athlete to change their minds at any time they want too. Every Griz verbal for the 2020 class could do the same if they want.

This thread is completely predicated on Worster "decommitting" but everyone wants to jump MY ass for my saying that he that he never actually "signed"? Whatever the terminology. I Stand my my contention that it would be better to leave kids alone until their senior year.

Back