• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Returning to an elite FCS program

I've seen the facilities many times.

I've also seen the plans for the new facilities. They will blow any current BSC program's facilities away.

See, that's what elite programs do. They constantly improve to stay ahead of everyone else.

big kahuna said:
So, you want to tell the head coach that his contract won't be renewed, while he has his team in first place?

I'm no fan of MD, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. What if the team keeps winning? Then what?

When people say that Grizzly fans are spoiled, this is the shit they are talking about.

You ever heard of Frank Solich? Check out his record the last year as head coach of Nebraska before he was let go. It has way more to do than being in first place along with three other teams after three conference games! Delaney is a tired old has-been (not that there's anything wrong with that) who will never get us back to where we were even if he coaches until the age of 100! Mack Brown. Howard Shellenberger. Bobby Bowden. Woody Hayes. All had to go. My opinion is shared by many Griz fans in my circle, none of who waste their time posting on this board.

Robsnotes4u said:
EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:
How does a team that's currently an elite FCS program "return" to that level?

How so? Because you're currently ranked too high at #7? Your stadium? Monte? I know that sounds like smack but honestly I'd like to hear what makes people think the griz are an elite FCS program today. Keep in mind you haven't even won the Big Sky Title since 2009. Also, skip the "You're just a troll" slams and anti Bobcat junk, because I know the Bobcats aren't considered and FCS elite program today either.

1. Crowd/fan support.

2. Facilities

3. Winning Tradition; which continues (although I know that kills cat fans and they prefer to deny it and talk about "power shifts").

4. Just ask anyone. Put a poll on AGS. If they Griz aren't one of the top 3 "elite" programs named by most voters, I'll come back here and admit I was wrong. But I know you won't do it because I know you know I'm 100% correct.

There's far more that goes into being an elite program than a current W/L record (although for the Griz, that's not hurting them right now). Notre Dame had a few terrible years, but I never heard anyone say they weren't an elite program. And it's been years since they won a title.

I am not going to argue if Montana is elite, as each person's perception of elite is different. In regards to your second point, facilities, didn't you receive the email regarding Montana facilities compared to other BSC teams?

Montana is behind, and needs donations to catch up. Facilities are huge when it comes to recruiting. Look no further than UND, building a new indoor practice facility, to go along with the pro level facilities of the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

When hockey players make visits to UND, tradition is one thing, facilities closes the deal.

Facilities include the stadium, practice fields, academic centers, etc., in addition to weight and locker rooms. UM's stadium and stadium atmosphere are no. 1, and it's not even a close call. The academic center will be on or at the top when construction is completed. Yup, the weight/locker rooms suck, but keep your eyes on the agenda items for the upcoming BOR meeting in connection with the Griz-Cat game.

monte is a character said:
big kahuna said:
So, you want to tell the head coach that his contract won't be renewed, while he has his team in first place?

I'm no fan of MD, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. What if the team keeps winning? Then what?

When people say that Grizzly fans are spoiled, this is the shit they are talking about.

You ever heard of Frank Solich? Check out his record the last year as head coach of Nebraska before he was let go. It has way more to do than being in first place along with three other teams after three conference games! Delaney is a tired old has-been (not that there's anything wrong with that) who will never get us back to where we were even if he coaches until the age of 100! Mack Brown. Howard Shellenberger. Bobby Bowden. Woody Hayes. All had to go. My opinion is shared by many Griz fans in my circle, none of who waste their time posting on this board.

I doubt that Delaney will stick around too long in any event, and the current coaching staff is way more than Delaney, but Delaney would be completely capable of bringing UM back up to dominance or near dominance in the conference with the new weight/locker rooms and 4 more schollies each year.

Interesting that virtually nobody addressed my formula for returning UM to a dominating program. Instead, they digressed into a pissing contest about what makes a program elite. Our program is only elite in the minds of the fans living in the past. We have won two playoff games in the past 5 years. And that is elite???? Hell, we can't even win the conference outright any longer! :roll:

My formula for returning us to an elite program who dominates the Big Sky, makes the playoffs every year, goes deep into the playoffs on a regular basis, and plays in the NC game at least once every five years or so, is contained in the first post to start this thread.

I feel very confident that, if these suggestions were implemented, we would be a much stronger program three years from now than if we keep the current coaching staff in place. No question about that fact in my mind.

PlayerRep said:
big kahuna said:

I doubt that Delaney will stick around too long in any event, and the current coaching staff is way more than Delaney, but Delaney would be completely capable of bringing UM back up to dominance or near dominance in the conference with the new weight/locker rooms and 4 more schollies each year.

You are delusional

Interesting that virtually nobody addressed my formula for returning UM to a dominating program. Instead, they digressed into a pissing contest about what makes a program elite. Our program is only elite in the minds of the fans living in the past. We have won two playoff games in the past 5 years. And that is elite????

Really? More of the convenient history revisions?

Fail

Raider said:
Interesting that virtually nobody addressed my formula for returning UM to a dominating program. Instead, they digressed into a pissing contest about what makes a program elite. Our program is only elite in the minds of the fans living in the past. We have won two playoff games in the past 5 years. And that is elite????

Fail

Why don't you enlighten us then, oh mighty one?

Raider said:

Fail

O.K., I meant four years!

Raider said:

Fail

I can only assume you are using the 2011 never happened, bobcat argument.

..or you can't count. Love the new screen name, by the way. Cute.

Raider said:
Raider said:

Fail

Please leave my thread. You are being an ass, which seems to be your MO. Either contribute to the topic, or stop being the troll that you throw around for other posters frequently.

Raider said:

Fail

In the last 5 years, UM had been to the national championship game and to the semifinals game twice, but UM won only 2 playoff games. That is very impressive. Maybe Monte can explain how that occurred? By my account, UM has won 8 playoffs games in the past 6 years.

Raider said:
Raider said:

Fail

Please leave my thread. You are being an ass, which seems to be your MO. Either contribute to the topic, or stop being the troll that you throw around for other posters frequently.

Please don't post blatantly incorrect information in "our" thread.

Interesting that virtually nobody addressed my formula for returning UM to a dominating program. Instead, they digressed into a pissing contest about what makes a program elite. Our program is only elite in the minds of the fans living in the past. We have won two playoff games in the past 5 years. And that is elite???? Hell, we can't even win the conference outright any longer! :roll:

My formula for returning us to an elite program who dominates the Big Sky, makes the playoffs every year, goes deep into the playoffs on a regular basis, and plays in the NC game at least once every five years or so, is contained in the first post to start this thread.

I feel very confident that, if these suggestions were implemented, we would be a much stronger program three years from now than if we keep the current coaching staff in place. No question about that fact in my mind.

your plan looks like it was thought up by an imbecile, might be one reason no one addressed.

I don't entirely agree. I feel we are already an elite program, though maybe not the dominant football team we had in the past. But since we are an elite program, it will not take as much to get us back to dominance.
1Delaney-I never felt he was the right fit, but he has done an ok job.
2 National search, I agree I feel it would be big mistake to hire from within
3 keep 3 coaches-Don't agree-leave that up to next coach.
4 agree
5. agree and disagree. Some things are already good.
6. No opinion.

Is UM elite? No. Have they been elite before? Yes. There is a difference between being elite and being a good talented program. And I know this will be a shocker for you Griz fans but just because your program was elite back in the day doesn't mean it is now (that was exclusively for you PR). NDSU is currently elite, but their dominance will eventually end and one day they will cease to be elite. UM always seems to be in the mix, and it would be fair to say that UM always puts a quality team on the field, but currently elite? No. That's just Griz homer bias.

Montana may again earn its "elite" status through attrition as the ambitious and successful FCS programs continue to move on to the FBS.

I've seen the facilities many times.

I've also seen the plans for the new facilities. They will blow any current BSC program's facilities away.

See, that's what elite programs do. They constantly improve to stay ahead of everyone else.

ranco said:

your plan looks like it was thought up by an imbecile, might be one reason no one addressed.

I agree.

Tell, and effectively announce publicly with a national search, that the current coach, who is 5-2 and 3-0 in conference, and was 10-3 last year with a seed in the playoffs, during the season? Are you kidding? Talk about goofing up recruiting, and causing all of the current assistants to start putting out feelers.

Starting looking in mid-season, when coaches are working to win their own games and bound not to be talking to other teams about jobs? I can just imagine the response when Haslam calls NDSU's AD this week, to see if UM can start talking to NDSU's coaches.

National searches in the this day and age, with fast and widespread communications, occur in most situations anyway. Interested coaches contact the searching schools and their designees very quickly. Don't think a national search means or adds much.

This plan would be a good way to setback UM for an additional X number of years.

Back