• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Potential Big Injury

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
I was certain this “Potential Serious Injury” was going to be a reference to that shithole Holt Arena and the concrete pad they play on. That place is a f###[#] train wreck waiting to happen.
They replaced that several years ago. They have the same sprinturf used in Wash/Griz.

Yeah, that old turf was a crime against humanity. Not to mention the worlds largest repository of staph.

One of the reasons it took so long for them to move to the sprint turf was you couldn't roll it up because of all the rubber pellets and the difficulty of creating a safe/uniform surface when you unrolled it again. They had to make some significant adjustments to make the field turf work inside of holt. I think to remove the turf now requires them to take it out in sections as a slab to keep it horizontal.

The old turf's biggest issue wasn't the lack of thickness it was the lack of give at oblique angles. If you fell on it vertically, it was fine, but the turf didn't dissipate energy but rather seemed to fight back when your arm/leg or even helmet planted at angles. When I was still coaching in Idaho, we'd play there once a year against either Pocatello or Century, and we were lucky to come out of there without a serious injury or severe concussion.

Grizfan-24 said:
kemajic said:
They replaced that several years ago. They have the same sprinturf used in Wash/Griz.

Yeah, that old turf was a crime against humanity. Not to mention the worlds largest repository of staph.

One of the reasons it took so long for them to move to the sprint turf was you couldn't roll it up because of all the rubber pellets and the difficulty of creating a safe/uniform surface when you unrolled it again. They had to make some significant adjustments to make the field turf work inside of holt. I think to remove the turf now requires them to take it out in sections as a slab to keep it horizontal.

The old turf's biggest issue wasn't the lack of thickness it was the lack of give at oblique angles. If you fell on it vertically, it was fine, but the turf didn't dissipate energy but rather seemed to fight back when your arm/leg or even helmet planted at angles. When I was still coaching in Idaho, we'd play there once a year against either Pocatello or Century, and we were lucky to come out of there without a serious injury or severe concussion.

Ryan Bagley had a gnarly broken arm there in 2007

CDAGRIZ said:
I read the first part of the post as saying the new cleats could cause a serious injury (that hasn't happened yet). It then took a turn.

Which reminds me: Hurricane Ian is pummeling the FL gulf coast. I saw a bit of maroon on the radar, so I'm worried that the storm might turn and come to Missoula next. WAGriz in shambles. When that happens, where do you guys think we'll play home games?

Hillsboro Or.

MTGRZ said:
Damn the new Nike cleats players like Harris and Bergen have been wearing. In the first game we saw multiple players including Harris slip a few times. I believe this was due to the cleats. In the game this past week against PSU we may have lost one of our biggest offensive weapons to an injury that I believe was due to his cleats.

With about 5:00 left in the 3rd quarter PSU punted the ball down the east side of the field. Bergen attempted to get the ball as it was heading out of bounds near the goal line. When he turned up field his left foot slipped, extending his leg out away from him further than he anticipated. The commentator even noticed that he was limping a bit as he trotted towards the sideline. I believe he slipped because of the new (not always better) cleats.

Bergen was in one more play that I could find after that slip, and he did not appear to be running hard. I could definitely be wrong, but I am afraid he will be lost for a few weeks. If I was the team I would hold him back for a minimum of four weeks. Hamstrings are notoriously difficult to return from-especially when you are a player like 5 and you rely on speed.

He seemed to be in good spirits during the post game presser, so hopefully it's nothing too big, but I am very afraid that we just lost one of our most important and versatile offensive weapons for a long time, and he may never be the same again this year. Heal up Bergen, we wish you the best.

Nice call MT, although you were roasted by the swells. Wonder how bad he is hurt. Again nice work

The OP's mistake was calling it a potential BIG injury. Without the big part, the OP was correct. A hamstring is rarely a "big" injury, but can be in rare situations.

Jesse said:
MTGRZ said:
Damn the new Nike cleats players like Harris and Bergen have been wearing. In the first game we saw multiple players including Harris slip a few times. I believe this was due to the cleats. In the game this past week against PSU we may have lost one of our biggest offensive weapons to an injury that I believe was due to his cleats.

With about 5:00 left in the 3rd quarter PSU punted the ball down the east side of the field. Bergen attempted to get the ball as it was heading out of bounds near the goal line. When he turned up field his left foot slipped, extending his leg out away from him further than he anticipated. The commentator even noticed that he was limping a bit as he trotted towards the sideline. I believe he slipped because of the new (not always better) cleats.

Bergen was in one more play that I could find after that slip, and he did not appear to be running hard. I could definitely be wrong, but I am afraid he will be lost for a few weeks. If I was the team I would hold him back for a minimum of four weeks. Hamstrings are notoriously difficult to return from-especially when you are a player like 5 and you rely on speed.

He seemed to be in good spirits during the post game presser, so hopefully it's nothing too big, but I am very afraid that we just lost one of our most important and versatile offensive weapons for a long time, and he may never be the same again this year. Heal up Bergen, we wish you the best.

Nice call MT, although you were roasted by the swells. Wonder how bad he is hurt. Again nice work

Meh. There was no question he was hurt in the prior game. All of us saw him limping after that punt. My issue was the OP outlook that it was absolutely devastating and “big” injury and that we could lose him for a long time. I figured it was a hammy, that he’d sit out this game, and maybe be back for Idaho. This wasn’t a season ended which is what the OP made it seem like. That was the issue.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
How long will Bergens hamstring keep him out?

Depends how severe. Grade 1 he should already be able to practice again. Grade 2 to 3 weeks. Grade 3 a complete tear 60 to 90 days.

RayWill said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
How long will Bergens hamstring keep him out?

Depends how severe. Grade 1 he should already be able to practice again. Grade 2 to 3 weeks. Grade 3 a complete tear 60 to 90 days.

Well hopefully it’s not a 2 or 3. Sure didnt seem serious when he left the game.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
RayWill said:

Well hopefully it’s not a 2 or 3. Sure didnt seem serious when he left the game.

JR sat for the press conference following the PSU game. Not likely that he would have been made available for the PC if he had a full blown hamstring tear as it would have been very uncomfortable.
Go Griz!

Back